PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game Observations....

Al Gore
4/16/2011, 06:45 PM
Dejuan Miller looked great. Very physical.
Drew Allen is the 2nd string QB. He did have better receivers and in towards the end Bell was playing on both teams and he did better. Bell is very mobile and has speed. Bell has all the tools but needs more practice.
Brennan Clay was the most consistant rb and had some great runs and a few excellent blocks while playing slot.
Haywood is going to be a special player.
Brandon Williams has a burst of speed. He missed his holes, seemed confused at times and fumbled. He has only been learning for a few weeks.
Colvin is going to be solid at safety
Jefferson will be All American. I am amazed!!!

Really wish the 1st offense would have went against the 1st defense.

adoniijahsooner
4/16/2011, 06:49 PM
I don't like the new format where the teams are picked. I heard the defense looks very very physical and fast. Is that true in your opinion?

XingTheRubicon
4/16/2011, 06:49 PM
Colvin's a safety?

adoniijahsooner
4/16/2011, 06:50 PM
Also heard Heupal say in an interview prior to the game, that BW has the tools he just need to hold onto the ball better.

adoniijahsooner
4/16/2011, 06:51 PM
Colvin's a safety?

Yeah, for like a month now

sooner59
4/16/2011, 06:53 PM
That Whaley kid had a hell of a run. He flat out ran over Gable Lynn and stiff-armed another guy on a probably 40 yard run. Colvin did look good.

Rocko
4/16/2011, 07:32 PM
You forgot to mention we made a field goal of 40 YARDS! Edit: it was Hunnicutt! Let us rejoice!

starclassic tama
4/16/2011, 07:34 PM
i didn't see much from bell to be really optimistic. i know he is really young, but he looked completely lost and made some just awful reads/throws.

nelson looked really good. i'd say fast and physical is accurate regarding how the defense looked, hurst's diving interception was awesome!

usaosooner
4/16/2011, 07:34 PM
You forgot to mention we made a field goal of 40 YARDS! Was that honeycut?

Hunnicut & yes :D

Whet
4/16/2011, 07:50 PM
Bell had happy feet and it was easy for him to just take off and run. I didn't see a lot in the running game.

oudavid1
4/16/2011, 08:16 PM
Bell played like a 3rd string QB

Always_Sooner
4/16/2011, 08:57 PM
Hunnicutt should challenge Stevens for the starting place kicker job.

hawaii 5-0
4/16/2011, 09:04 PM
That Whaley kid had a hell of a run. He flat out ran over Gable Lynn and stiff-armed another guy on a probably 40 yard run. Colvin did look good.

Very good balance.

5-0

Trump/3 D Danny 2012

AlbqSooner
4/16/2011, 09:08 PM
Bell played like a 3rd string QB on this OU team

FIFY;)

VA Sooner
4/16/2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the update guys! I couldn't make it to the game today... last minute issues at home.

picasso
4/16/2011, 09:19 PM
i didn't see much from bell to be really optimistic. i know he is really young, but he looked completely lost and made some just awful reads/throws.

nelson looked really good. i'd say fast and physical is accurate regarding how the defense looked, hurst's diving interception was awesome!

Keep in mind they will have to completely change the offense for him.

adoniijahsooner
4/16/2011, 09:23 PM
Bell played like a 3rd string QB

"Sam Bradford looks like he kinda suck."

picasso
4/16/2011, 09:26 PM
Bell and Thompson will not be running the same kind of offense once Landry is gone. Just sayin'.

adoniijahsooner
4/16/2011, 09:29 PM
We never learn not to go to far in our assessments after a spring game. Didnt Musil run wild last year, and he lost his job to a freshman? Didnt Sam throw 3 interceptions in a spring game before leading his team to the NCG? These coaches have lauded BW all spring, and now I hear people regulating him to only kick return duty. Too early to tell anything, especially with the new format.

gaylordfan1
4/16/2011, 09:57 PM
I was happy to see the WR's in the game.... Stills, Franks, and Miller. They were suppose to be sidelined with injuries today. Its hard to tell from this game, but all in all I think today went well. Hanna had a few drops. Miller played well and showed his hands off. BW looked young, but thats expected. Finch didn't do much. Clay ran strong. Bell took off and ran more than I would have liked. I know its his strength, but I wanted to see his reads and arm today.

CatfishSooner
4/16/2011, 10:05 PM
Dejuan Miller is a beast! All American season comin up I think...

SoonerLB
4/16/2011, 10:13 PM
I listened to the game, and Merv commented that BW always played with a shotgun QB rather than a QB under center, and therefore is still learning to take handoffs in that manner. Like gaylordfan 1 stated, he's young, he'll get it figured out. I know I'm ready for September to get here and see who's gonna run over our opponents! :)

badger
4/16/2011, 10:14 PM
I was seeing Cameron Kenney everywhere in every position on every team till NP informed me that he indeed graduated and those other #6's were all not Kenney :D

Ever look at some of these jersey numbers, especially ones from the same positions or at least same sides of the ball, and think about past players and almost think that they're the players that made them famous? I totally saw Allen Patrick (RB #23) and Q (RB #22) out there today, even though I know darn well that neither have played for OU in awhile. It was like little nostalgia moments :D

BigDeezy
4/16/2011, 10:57 PM
I was not impressed by the running game today. Not sure we have made much improvement.

JLEW1818
4/16/2011, 10:59 PM
Your defense should always be better than your offense in a spring game.

Al Gore
4/16/2011, 11:08 PM
I was not impressed by the running game today. Not sure we have made much improvement.Hard to be consistent in the running game when you don't have a cohesive line play. You had 1's 2's and 3's playing together in this game.

oudavid1
4/16/2011, 11:13 PM
"Sam Bradford looks like he kinda suck."

who are you quoting?

ouwasp
4/16/2011, 11:21 PM
who are you quoting?

IIRC that was a tex fan's infamous impression of Sam after a spring game that was on ESPiN... :texan:

soonercastor
4/16/2011, 11:53 PM
Two pages and no mention of Tress Way?????

85sooners
4/16/2011, 11:57 PM
Boooomer!!

Leroy Lizard
4/17/2011, 12:05 AM
IIRC that was a tex fan's infamous impression of Sam after a spring game that was on ESPiN... :texan:

I was there at the beginning of the thread, and I think the quote was: "Sam Bradford looks like he might suck." Something like that. But I do know that Longhorngoebbels deleted the thread from the forum's archives -- that's how bad it was. Based on Sam's high school numbers and the fact that he wasn't a five-star recruit, Horn fans had pretty much argued that he was a complete bust and OU was in trouble if he was all we had.

My favorite: "If Stoops can polish this turd then I will never question his ability to coach QBs again."

It got real funny as Sam started racking up huge numbers.

oudavid1
4/17/2011, 12:07 AM

lol oh, i was like that couldnt have been me.

So far, my biggest screw up was something like

"Kendall Thompson.....he'll make a decent safety"

Fail

Ping
4/17/2011, 12:11 AM
Aaron Colvin will be an All-American by the time he graduates. I expect 8-9 INTs this season from him.

Leroy Lizard
4/17/2011, 12:56 AM

Fail

We have no way of knowing what will happen to KT, so you haven't failed yet. But keep in mind the difference: Horn fans were so sure that Sam Bradford was a bust that any Sooner fan trying to defend him was attacked from all sides for even thinking that Sam had a chance.

sooner59
4/17/2011, 01:48 AM
Your defense should always be better than your offense in a spring game.

Yes. There were several offensive starters that didn't play. Plus this defense practices against this offense regularly. Plus the playbook was straight vanilla. The only awful defense I saw was from someone that I didn't know played defense, and that was Joe Powell. He was playing CB and was getting owned by every receiver he lined up against.

OK2U
4/17/2011, 04:23 AM
Hunnicutt should challenge Stevens for the starting place kicker job.
Stoops said in the postgame that Stevens is still the starter, O'Hara is no.1 for longer kicks (and kick-offs) and that Hunnicutt is in the mix to challenge O'hara for the longer FGs.

If we could just consistently get touch-backs on kick-offs, I'd be a happy man.

pphilfran
4/17/2011, 05:57 AM
Stoops said in the postgame that Stevens is still the starter, O'Hara is no.1 for longer kicks (and kick-offs) and that Hunnicutt is in the mix to challenge O'hara for the longer FGs.

If we could just consistently get touch-backs on kick-offs, I'd be a happy man.

What do you consider as "consistent"...the overall avg is less than 20%...probably the three best in FBS ( quick scan of the data)

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2010&rpt=IA_teamkoreturndef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

FSU 41 tb in 86 kickoffs..62nd in yards allowed

Nebbish 39 of 86...97th in yards allowed..

Pokes at 55 of 106...119th in yards allowed...

And then the Sooners...

16 of 100...65th in yards allowed....

badger
4/17/2011, 09:12 AM

The thread no longer exists, but here's the thread on sf.com based on that whorn fans thread: Link (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99289)

picasso
4/17/2011, 10:12 AM
Yes. There were several offensive starters that didn't play. Plus this defense practices against this offense regularly. Plus the playbook was straight vanilla. The only awful defense I saw was from someone that I didn't know played defense, and that was Joe Powell. He was playing CB and was getting owned by every receiver he lined up against.

In years past our best teams have always had a dominant defense in spring practice.

adoniijahsooner
4/17/2011, 10:25 AM

Fail

I was basically pointing out that just because Blake Bell didn't look so good in the spring game means absolutely nothing. This was his first live action since the High school playoffs. He even improved as the game went on...Blake will be fine.

oudavid1
4/17/2011, 12:27 PM
I was basically pointing out that just because Blake Bell didn't look so good in the spring game means absolutely nothing. This was his first live action since the High school playoffs. He even improved as the game went on...Blake will be fine.

i hope so....or FIRE HEUPEL!!!

StoopTroup
4/17/2011, 12:33 PM

From what I take from your posts....you didn't go yesterday?

StoopTroup
4/17/2011, 01:15 PM
MANDINGO SIGHTING ! ! !

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/DSC02226.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/DSC02225.jpg

picasso
4/17/2011, 01:24 PM
Looks like he's actually lost weight.

StoopTroup
4/17/2011, 01:28 PM
yup

badger
4/17/2011, 01:40 PM
That game looked like a really, really good team going out and having fun. Whaley is a beast and needs to play. PLEASE give him a shot, Coach!

101sooner
4/17/2011, 01:42 PM

I agree!

Partial Qualifier
4/17/2011, 01:43 PM

all-black outfits have a slimming effect. ;)

Mongo
4/17/2011, 01:48 PM

well, black is slimming

Mongo
4/17/2011, 01:49 PM
**** you PQ!!!!!

StoopTroup
4/17/2011, 02:44 PM
That game looked like a really, really good team going out and having fun. Whaley is a beast and needs to play. PLEASE give him a shot, Coach!

Really? I thought it looked like the really good team was hiding and the bunch of folks who were trying to be starters on the really good team showed up to see if they'd get some PT this year.

ouduckhunter
4/17/2011, 02:46 PM

Wow! I think he's lost at least 100 pounds, maybe even 150! Good on him!!

Looks like he's having a good time too even without screaming at and abusing our poor players!

StoopTroup
4/17/2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah...I'd agree. Mark looks a lot healthier these days....and a lot happier too. If he was to slim down and really get his weight and Health back under Control.....He'll be the next HC at any D1 School he wants IMO

jumperstop
4/17/2011, 03:08 PM
All the Qb's seemed to throw behind their receivers a little bit. The running game doesn't concern me too much, defense always dominates during the spring games.

yankee
4/17/2011, 03:37 PM
Keep in mind they will have to completely change the offense for him.

LOL I highly, highly doubt that. Might be a few wrinkles since he brings a running threat, but that's it.

StoopTroup
4/17/2011, 04:00 PM
All the Qb's seemed to throw behind their receivers a little bit. The running game doesn't concern me too much, defense always dominates during the spring games.

I'd feel that way to if I knew we had an "AD" or "DeMarco Murray" coming back as a Starter and these other guys were just what we had in the stable

adoniijahsooner
4/17/2011, 05:27 PM
From what I take from your posts....you didn't go yesterday?

Just listened on the radio

picasso
4/17/2011, 05:33 PM
LOL I highly, highly doubt that. Might be a few wrinkles since he brings a running threat, but that's it.

You must not listen to the radio much. You honestly think we'll be running the same offense with two dual threat QB's at the helm?

Sooner_Tuf
4/17/2011, 05:45 PM
Be cool if we somehow found a spot for Mangino.

Scott D
4/17/2011, 05:50 PM
I'm sure there's an opening for a security guard spot.

gaylordfan1
4/17/2011, 09:09 PM
I'm sure there's an opening for a security guard spot.

Now there is an awesome fark idea.... Manginos face on a Paul Blart body.

BoomerJ
4/17/2011, 10:18 PM
Now there is an awesome fark idea.... Manginos face on a Paul Blart body.

Would love to see Mangino on a segway

Leroy Lizard
4/18/2011, 12:39 AM
Be cool if we somehow found a spot next to Mangino.

Fixed

yankee
4/18/2011, 01:02 AM
You must not listen to the radio much. You honestly think we'll be running the same offense with two dual threat QB's at the helm?

I don't listen to the radio because I actually go to the games. :)

You said completely change the offense. There's no way in hell Stoops or Heupel changes their entire offensive scheme because we have a QB that has the ability to run. And just because Bell CAN run, doesn't mean we're going to have him run all that often. Like I said, a few wrinkles here and there...but that's it.

OU_Sooners75
4/18/2011, 01:07 AM

That's kind of condescending isn't it? Some people cannot make it to the games.

I used to take a headset with me to listen to the games I did attend, just so I can get more info on the game. Stop doing that the last few games I have attended.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/18/2011, 01:19 AM
I think i've put a finger on what is bothering me about our linebackers. In every clip where they blow the play up we are zone blocking. In the long runs (like whaley's) we are hat on hat.

And speaking of that run by Whaley, it showed bad Travis (when he'd given up on the play and Whaley cut back within 3 yards of him) and better Travis when he hustled and made the touchdown saving tackle. if we are going to make a run we need to see less and less of bad Travis.

picasso
4/18/2011, 07:23 AM

You said completely change the offense. There's no way in hell Stoops or Heupel changes their entire offensive scheme because we have a QB that has the ability to run. And just because Bell CAN run, doesn't mean we're going to have him run all that often. Like I said, a few wrinkles here and there...but that's it.

Agreed, I shouldn't have said completely. We won't be running the Wildcat or anything but it won't be the same offense that you see right now.

And by radio I meant sports talk. I've heard it from two different people that the offense will change with Bell and Thompson. And they are a helluva a lot closer to the program than you or I.

badger
4/18/2011, 07:44 AM
I don't want to be another "mobile QB with mediocre passing ability" based team...

picasso
4/18/2011, 08:34 PM
I don't want to be another "mobile QB with mediocre passing ability" based team...

Me neither but how else do you explain them signing Bell and Thompson?

swardboy
4/18/2011, 08:43 PM
Wishbone!

j/k

BoulderSooner79
4/18/2011, 11:44 PM

^Wisdom. I like having QBs that get invited to NYC in early December.

cccasooner2
4/19/2011, 01:13 PM

Alot of good things for the O on that play. Ossum (40) sealed Bird (55) and Irwin (68) locked T. Lewis (28) out of the play.

StoopTroup
4/19/2011, 01:24 PM
I think i've put a finger on what is bothering me about our linebackers. In every clip where they blow the play up we are zone blocking. In the long runs (like whaley's) we are hat on hat.

And speaking of that run by Whaley, it showed bad Travis (when he'd given up on the play and Whaley cut back within 3 yards of him) and better Travis when he hustled and made the touchdown saving tackle. if we are going to make a run we need to see less and less of bad Travis.

In all fairness though....did you think more than 50% of the plays Saturday were at full speed? If you know you are gonna start why would you care? That's been Travis's problem for a long time.

Folks who were impressed with the FG's.....anyone really see a rush?

Saturday was a jogging suit run. There's good reason to believe that we shouldn't have aired any of that RnW from last Saturday.

Lawton4Life
4/19/2011, 01:35 PM

Cam New-ton?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/19/2011, 04:31 PM
In all fairness though....did you think more than 50% of the plays Saturday were at full speed? If you know you are gonna start why would you care? That's been Travis's problem for a long time.

Saturday was a jogging suit run. There's good reason to believe that we shouldn't have aired any of that RnW from last Saturday.

It was closer to full speed than you might think. You learn fairly early on in sports that jacking around gets you hurt. The reason that I brought it up was that it was eerily similar to last year where Lewis just quits on plays if he doesn't think he can get the tackle. It may not seem like that big of a deal on these boards, but the ability to turn a 40 yard run into an 8 yard run by hustling can be the difference between 3 and 7 in a big game.

NormanPride
4/19/2011, 04:35 PM
Do you think Stoops will pull him to play Nelson if he keeps loafing? Coach has said that Nelson is our best defender, be it motivation or whatever.

BoulderSooner79
4/19/2011, 04:55 PM

Cam New-ton?

I didn't say we'd get them all and in Newton's case, I'm glad. But Heupel, White, Bradford - yes. I could see LJ getting an invite too.

RedstickSooner
4/19/2011, 06:11 PM
So, I haven't watched many spring games, but went to this one... And I thought the team looked just awful. However, many of the players that stunk it up (er, or that looked to me like they were stinking it up) were vets whose capability we all know. So I didn't, y'know, pitch a fit and cry for the long drive home afterward. I figured I'd wait and see what my more experienced Sooner brethren thought.

Breaking up the team into weird divisions would definitely explain a lot. Good football requires familiarity with each other -- that's why when you see all them all-star games for seniors after the season is over, players who had been all-universe suddenly seem like not only are they no longer all-universe. No longer all-solar system, not even all-American, barely even all-neighborhood.

Without any chemistry and with a mixture of skill levels, the sloppy play would make a lot more sense. I totally don't grok why Stoops wouldn't just do first-string offense vs. first string defense, second team offense vs. second team defense.

So, here comes my larger question: Since teams usually do look like kaka in the spring, why do the spring game at all? Does it really help the players...?

Just curious. As always, I'm just a fan, not one of you fancy-pants guru types. So feel free to 'splain where I've gone wrong, if that's what I've done.

jumperstop
4/19/2011, 06:38 PM

That's how the entire game felt...the team just didn't seem that into it. Everything kinda felt half assed.

BoulderSooner79
4/19/2011, 07:06 PM
So, here comes my larger question: Since teams usually do look like kaka in the spring, why do the spring game at all? Does it really help the players...?

Just curious. As always, I'm just a fan, not one of you fancy-pants guru types. So feel free to 'splain where I've gone wrong, if that's what I've done.

I've always thought the purposes were:

1) entertain the fans
2) treat for the players to finish spring drills with something more fun
3) it's a tradition!

but just my take.

SyN
4/22/2011, 08:44 PM
I must have missed something? Is Trey Metoyer having an extremely hard time qualifying?