PDA

View Full Version : College football teams able to run time off clock

Okie35
4/15/2011, 01:30 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- College football will have a few rule changes in place this fall, including one that will give teams the option of shaving 10 seconds off the clock in penalty situations.

The most notable change approved Thursday by the NCAA's Playing Rules Oversight Panel is the 10-second runoff that can occur if a team commits a penalty in the final minute of a half. Opponents will have the option of taking the yardage and the time, the yardage only or declining the penalty.

The committee also approved a rule that allows video monitors in the coaches' booths. The televisions will have access only to any live broadcast of the game -- no video recorders -- to help coaches decide if they should challenge a call. If the monitors are available to the home team, they must also be available to the visitor.

Those changes coincide with perhaps the biggest change of the season -- a taunting rule that could cost teams points.

Last April, the playing rules panel approved a decision to nullify touchdowns if a player is called for taunting before he crosses the goal line. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

The panel decided then to wait one year before implementing the change.

Previously, the 15-yard penalty was assessed on the extra point attempt, 2-point conversion attempt or the ensuing kickoff. Penalties called after the player crosses the goal line still will be assessed on those plays, but live-ball fouls will be assessed at the spot of the foul and eliminate the score.

The playing rules panel also approved two changes they hope will make the game safer.

Players lined up within seven yards of the center on scrimmage plays will still be permitted to block below the waist anywhere on the field.

But receivers or running backs lined up outside the tackle box will only be allowed to block below the waist if they are blocking straight ahead or toward the nearest sideline. If they go inside and block toward the play, it would be a penalty.

The defensive team also will be assessed a 5-yard penalty if three or more players try to overpower one offensive lineman on place kicks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6361845

that title is so dense lol

badger
4/15/2011, 02:16 PM
Last bowl season was so full of controversy. I think the 10-second penalty is in response to this:

-NP8y8OaGNo

sooner518
4/15/2011, 02:25 PM
Last April, the playing rules panel approved a decision to nullify touchdowns if a player is called for taunting before he crosses the goal line. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

this is about the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

EatLeadCommie
4/15/2011, 02:33 PM
I understand the desire to put such a rule in place, but it won't be long before somebody loses the game from something bogus, like a downfield hold on a big gainer that gets them into the redzone with 10 seconds left in the game. Instead of being allowed to kick a potential tying or winning FG, they get penalized the 10 seconds and lose the game.

Soonerwake
4/15/2011, 02:42 PM

+1

badger
4/15/2011, 02:48 PM
I understand the desire to put such a rule in place, but it won't be long before somebody loses the game from something bogus, like a downfield hold on a big gainer that gets them into the redzone with 10 seconds left in the game. Instead of being allowed to kick a potential tying or winning FG, they get penalized the 10 seconds and lose the game.

Whaddaya know, I have a youtube link for last bowl season on this, too! :)

-Z_KkLT-Fs8

Like UT/UNC's bowl game, the Pinstripe Bowl was lost on a last-moment ref decision, in this case, to throw a flag after a touchdown because of a salute to the crowd. Old Man Snyder's team needed to then get a 2-point conversion from 18 yards away instead of 3, so they lose.

Look for there to be a lot of controversy over the inconsistency of this rule enforcement, just like after the Pinstripe Bowl. A "salute" was a penalty in this bowl, but not the UNC/UT bowl in my last post on this thread.

I am sure many of you noticed this besides me last season, but Stoops was really, REALLY enforcing the "no excessive celebration" rule all last season. When someone celebrated at a home game in the endzone (don't remember who, but it was the student section corner that they scored in), Stoops was screaming on the sideline after the flag was thrown "WHO WAS IT?!? WHO WAS IT?!?!" so that he could really get after the guilty one.

So, don't like the rule, but like the fact that they gave refs and programs a year's warning on what was coming. Coaches like Stoops had a year to train their players to not cost their teammates yardage, points or 10 seconds now too, I guess. Hopefully refs also have a mindset of what merits a point shaving penalty and what doesn't.

:P "point shaving penalty" maybe i should call it something else lol

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2011, 02:52 PM
So, don't like the rule, but like the fact that they gave refs and programs a year's warning on what was coming. Coaches like Stoops had a year to train their players to not cost their teammates yardage, points or 10 seconds now too, I guess.

Some players will never figure it out.

CincySooner
4/15/2011, 03:27 PM

I think the key is that the penalty must STOP a running clock. If the clock is alredy stopped, or the clock would have stopped anyway (such as a runner being pushed out of bounds on said holding play) then the run-off is not an option for the other team.

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 03:41 PM
IM A F***ING TENNESSEE FAN AND THAT WAS BULLSH**!!!!!

F U N C

TopDawg
4/15/2011, 03:58 PM

Why? It makes this rule consistent with all of the other ones.

The way the rule is currently written, it's the only one (I think) that is not marked off from the line of scrimmage or the spot of the foul. The play counts "as-is" and it's marked off on the next play or the play after that. To me, THAT is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. (Well, not really. But it is dumb.)

Keep in mind, this only affects celebrations/taunting that takes place in the field of play...before the touchdown is scored.

JLEW1818
4/15/2011, 04:22 PM
I think the NFL does this?

SpankyNek
4/15/2011, 04:30 PM

The way the rule is currently written, it's the only one (I think) that is not marked off from the line of scrimmage or the spot of the foul. The play counts "as-is" and it's marked off on the next play or the play after that. To me, THAT is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. (Well, not really. But it is dumb.)

Keep in mind, this only affects celebrations/taunting that takes place in the field of play...before the touchdown is scored.

Right on Top Dawg.

Every other personal foul is a spot foul.

It should be levied the same as a facemask.

Some people also erroneously believe that this is going to result in more flags, but the NCAA has made it clear that they have not increased the scope of the penalty, only the spot of enforcement.

Memtig14
4/15/2011, 09:31 PM

F U N C

Nothing good comes in orange!

sooner518
4/15/2011, 10:40 PM

its stupid for the exact same reason as Badger pointed out: celebration in game 1 is flagged, while the exact same celebration is not flagged in game 2. its a horse****, almost 100% subjective call, only with the new rule, it makes this inconsistent call an even bigger part of the game.

oudavid1
4/16/2011, 01:33 AM
Nothing good comes in orange!

its a different shade than texas and OSU dosnt count.

SOFSooner
4/16/2011, 05:31 AM
Orange is orange, no matter the shade

yermom
4/16/2011, 07:00 AM
yep.

orange? check.

UT? check.

succ.

pphilfran
4/16/2011, 10:11 AM
its stupid for the exact same reason as Badger pointed out: celebration in game 1 is flagged, while the exact same celebration is not flagged in game 2. its a horse****, almost 100% subjective call, only with the new rule, it makes this inconsistent call an even bigger part of the game.

Holds are called in one game and not the next...PI is called in one game and not the next...it is a horsechit, almost 100% subjective call....

SoonerofAlabama
4/16/2011, 10:52 AM
I don't like how the NCAA is cracking down on the players like this. I mean a penalty for celebrating after a long run or a big score, and now taking points away for doing so... I believe it's a bit silly.

oudavid1
4/16/2011, 11:11 AM
yep.

orange? check.

UT? check.

succ.

The Real UT.

TVKaleen
4/18/2011, 10:47 AM
I can think of only one time I have ever rooted for Tennessee. Final score of that game was ut 35 um 7. Paved the way for us to pick up #6.

badger
4/18/2011, 11:07 AM
I wasn't rooting for Rocky Top, but it was pretty exciting to see the-other-UT-in-orange nearly knock of Florida, Bammer and LSU under Kiffie and Doo-fus recently. :P

oudavid1
4/18/2011, 11:15 AM
I wasn't rooting for Rocky Top, but it was pretty exciting to see the-other-UT-in-orange nearly knock of Florida, Bammer and LSU under Kiffie and Doo-fus recently. :P

There is UTA - University of Texas at Austin.

And then there is UT - University of Tennessee.

Go Rocky Top!

NormanPride
4/18/2011, 11:31 AM
Shut up david, nobody cares that you like orange.

tiaralevinson
4/18/2011, 11:34 AM

Go Rocky Top!

yeah your awesome!

oudavid1
4/18/2011, 11:36 AM

She does (see below)

yeah your awesome!

Stalker.

TopDawg
4/18/2011, 11:43 AM

The celebration Badger was talking about came after the play, so this rule change wouldn't apply. (And I don't think Badger's KSU example really gets at the point EatLead was making anyway.)

But let's look at the KSU game. Let's say that he saluted before he scored and they took the TD off the board. This actually would have been BETTER for KSU (in this instance) because instead of having one play to score 2 points from 18 yards out, they would've been penalized 15 yards and had 4 plays to score a TD and then attempt a 2-point conversion from 3 yards out instead of the long 2-point conversion.

This rule change doesn't make this penalty a bigger part of the game, it just changes the way it impacts the game. In doing so, it makes it more consistent with every other penalty in the game which, to me, makes sense.

I don't like how the NCAA is cracking down on the players like this. I mean a penalty for celebrating after a long run or a big score, and now taking points away for doing so... I believe it's a bit silly.

If you celebrate AFTER the long run or big score, you don't lose points. If you celebrate DURING the long run or big score, you do.

badger
4/18/2011, 11:52 AM

NP dear, don't argue with the twitterhead.

http://gickr.com/results4/anim_c219555f-0742-9574-0df7-36c32132e8f1.gif

Okie35
4/18/2011, 12:42 PM

I see what you mean but then the more disciplined team will obviously win.

goingoneight
4/18/2011, 12:47 PM
if i read that correctly, wide receiver blocking is being nit-picked by officials this off-season and we'll see a lot less bubble screens in the future. that was easy yardage for a great YAC guy like Murray or Broyles when your receivers were cleverly disguising holding against smaller DBs. i can still see them being a viable option on short-yardage plays, but now far less often on 1st and 10s.

StoopTroup
4/18/2011, 11:07 PM
NP dear, don't argue with the twitterhead.

http://gickr.com/results4/anim_c219555f-0742-9574-0df7-36c32132e8f1.gif

NP....you've been warned......lol :pop:

soonerboomer93
4/19/2011, 02:52 AM

F U N C

you are offishially the new sic 'em

only gheyer

texaspokieokie
4/19/2011, 09:40 AM

Go Rocky Top!

don't forget the real UTA; arlington.

oudavid1
4/19/2011, 12:03 PM
you are offishially the new sic 'em

only gheyer

hateful

hahaha

TheHumanAlphabet
4/19/2011, 12:24 PM
It is sad that they have to make a rule for what should be good sportmanship. In the day I played, any of those they mentioned, would get your arse on the bench and probably running sprints the next practice...

Those other rules some of them just seem to say to me, how in the hell are they going to enforce that???

MiccoMacey
4/19/2011, 12:34 PM
What about all the silly gestures they make after making a first down...will that be called as well (I hope so).

badger
4/20/2011, 03:14 PM
Stoops no likey the taunting rule.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110420_2_0_NORMAN579305)

TopDawg
4/20/2011, 03:46 PM
Where does it say he doesn't like it?

badger
4/20/2011, 04:41 PM
Where does it say he doesn't like it?

check that - he's concerned and will address it with his players :P

texaspokieokie
4/21/2011, 07:48 AM

Dave boy
not a joke, arlington was 1st one referred to as "uta".

the-rover
4/21/2011, 10:22 PM
It removes emotion from the game....it's BS

Next thing will be not allowing fans to make noise during plays.

TopDawg
4/25/2011, 09:35 AM
It removes emotion from the game....it's BS

Wrong. It changes one of the penalties for excessive emotion.

looch
4/25/2011, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see the odds Broyles gets a TD called back due to taunting.

My bet would be that Broyles losing at least one TD from taunting.