PDA

View Full Version : Woman has dead husband made into necklaces for the family.

salth2o
4/14/2011, 09:41 PM
W....T.....eFFFF?????

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/14/article-0-0B9FE04F00000578-702_468x345.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/14/article-0-0B9FE0E700000578-580_224x369.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376814/Woman-dead-husband-necklaces-family.html#ixzz1JWYhpLC4

When Steve Howle died, his wife Vanda was determined he wouldn’t be forgotten.

She had his ashes made into 11 necklaces - so all the members of the family could wear one as a permanent reminder of him.

The necklaces were designed by Steve himself before he died and Vanda has even had her husband made into a matching ring and earrings too.
In loving memory: When her husband Steve died, his wife Vanda had his ashes made into eleven necklaces - so all the members of the family could wear one as a permanent reminder of him

In loving memory: When her husband Steve died, his wife Vanda had his ashes made into 11 necklaces - so all the members of the family could wear one as a permanent reminder of him

Vanda, 49, who lives in Peterborough, said: ‘We all love the fact that we have a bit of Steve with us all the time.

‘We all wear our pendants - and it's such a comfort to us all.’

Steve, 53, a labourer, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in January 2008 after noticing he had been struggling with the grip in his right arm since the previous summer.

Former care worker Vanda, said: ‘Steve had always been really active before. We loved caravanning and we would take our tourer caravan all over, to Blackpool, Yarmouth and Skegness and we’d have so much fun on those holidays.

‘But suddenly Steve noticed that he couldn’t really grip properly with his right hand, and I noticed that he would rest it on his lap as he drove the caravan.’

Steve went to see his GP who referred him to Peterborough Hospital, where initially doctors thought he’d had a stroke or was suffering from a frozen shoulder.

Ashes to ashes: The necklaces were designed by Steve (left) himself before he died - and Vanda has even had her husband made into a matching ring and earrings too

But he was referred to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge for further tests, and it showed that he was suffering from motor neurone disease.

Doctors broke the devastating news to him that he had only two to five years to live.

Vanda said: ‘We were just heartbroken when Steve was diagnosed. We just couldn’t believe it. We had been together since I was 16.

‘We became a couple and since then we had never spent a single night apart. It was just devastating to hear.’

Steve’s health quickly started to deteriorate. By the spring of 2009 he had to use a wheelchair and he couldn’t cut up his meals.

Vanda said: ‘Steve was always so brave, he never complained. He knew that he wouldn’t see his grandchildren grow up, and he was determined to make the most of the time he had left.

‘We went to all our favourite holiday spots for one last visit in our camper van, but it was devastating to know that it was going to be our last time together.’

Steve was so determined to still be around for his family that when he and Vanda heard on a TV programme that it was possible to make jewellery out of the ashes of loved ones, Steve made a decision.

Vanda said: ‘It was Steve’s idea. He turned to me after we’d seen the programme and said that he’d like me to do that with his ashes.
Family affair: Steve was so determined to still be around for his family that when he and Vanda heard on a tv programme that it was possible to make jewellery out of the ashes of loved ones, Steve made a decision

Family affair: Steve was so determined to still be around for his family that when he and Vanda heard on a TV programme that it was possible to make jewellery out of the ashes of loved ones, Steve made a decision

‘He said that we would always have a piece of him with us.’

So the couple contacted the company, Sentimental Connections, in Nottingham to make arrangements.

Steve chose pendants for Vanda, their five children and grandchildren.

Vanda said: ‘The pendants were beautiful and Steve wanted me to have earrings and a ring too.

‘It was emotional choosing the jewellery, but Steve was determined that we were all going to have it as a memento of him.'

Steve finally lost his battle in August last year, and his ashes were made into the jewellery, costing £1,800.

Vanda added: ‘Not a day passes that we don’t miss Steve terribly. But we all wear his pendants. He was such a family man and he would love to see us all wearing his jewellery.

‘It is such a comfort to us all, having him around us all the time.’

Managing director of Sentimental Connections Nick Cranham said: 'Our memorial jewellery has become increasingly popular – but we have never been asked to make so many items for one family before.

'We visited Steve three times before he died and consulted him on the designs and styles – to make sure his wishes were fully carried out.'

StoopTroup
4/14/2011, 10:24 PM
Very different but cool they loved him so and he them

yermom
4/14/2011, 10:29 PM
they could have at least made diamonds out of him

Partial Qualifier
4/15/2011, 08:46 AM
W....T.....eFFFF?????

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/14/article-0-0B9FE04F00000578-702_468x345.jpg

This woman looks like a blast to hang out with

OUDoc
4/15/2011, 08:49 AM
She is British, you know.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 08:53 AM
Socialized Medicine. **** yeah!

sappstuf
4/15/2011, 08:55 AM
I hear she is also into pearl necklaces..

Soonerwake
4/15/2011, 08:57 AM

And they spell words funny... Those crazy Brits.. :D

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 08:57 AM
She should market those things, she probably would make a killing!!!

pphilfran
4/15/2011, 09:05 AM
Keith Richards had a better idea...he snorted his old man...

Soonerwake
4/15/2011, 09:05 AM
I guess I don't get the point. I understand that they miss him, he sounds like he was a great guy, etc... But, do you really need parade around a piece of jewelry with his ashes in it in order to remember him??

And yes, I have had people very close to me pass away. But, I don't need to hang my mom's thigh bone from my rearview mirror in order to remember her..

Just plain weird to me..

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 09:07 AM
Just plain weird to me..

I know you are what am I?

;)

jumperstop
4/15/2011, 09:07 AM
I thought about this a long time ago. Have this put I my will to traumatize my children after I'm gone, kinda as a last joke. Can't do it now that I don't have firsties.

sappstuf
4/15/2011, 09:08 AM
I'll take Angelina Jolie and her vial of blood for a thousand...

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 09:10 AM
I would like to be kept on the mantle in a mason jar after I am gone.

;)

OUDoc
4/15/2011, 09:53 AM

;)

Why wait until you are gone for that?

SoCaliSooner
4/15/2011, 10:23 AM

;)

I am pretty sure that when I am crisped in a fire my wife is going to take the life insurance money, my pension and live the good life with her personal trainer. I am pretty sure they won't want to see me in a jar on the dresser while she's getting plowed.

ByrnHoustonsSweatyPalms
4/15/2011, 10:30 AM
I am pretty sure that when I am crisped in a fire my wife is going to take the life insurance money, my pension and live the good life with her personal trainer. I am pretty sure they won't want to see me in a jar on the dresser while she's getting plowed.

Socali, rest assured, it won't bother me one bit. Where do you keep your best rum and cigars?:)

3rdgensooner
4/15/2011, 10:45 AM
But what would he have worn to a football game? Was he a pretentious dick?

SoCaliSooner
4/15/2011, 10:59 AM
Socali, rest assured, it won't bother me one bit. Where do you keep your best rum and cigars?:)

They are in the master walk in closet hidden behind my OU jerseys. You really must keep the valuables hidden.

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 10:59 AM
They are in the master walk in closet hidden behind my OU jerseys. You really must keep the valuables hidden.

Do you keep you cigars hidden in your Crocs?

SoCaliSooner
4/15/2011, 11:00 AM
Do you keep you cigars hidden in your Crocs?

No, but I do keep my Sanuks in the humidor.

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 11:04 AM
No, but I do keep my Sanuks in the humidor.

wait, is that a sexual reference?

3rdgensooner
4/15/2011, 02:45 PM
On a related note:

You (posthumously) light up my life (http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=you-posthumously-light-up-my-life-2011-04-15)

The Cemetery of the Innocents in Paris was one of the most well known in the city and its grounds were in high demand by those wishing to be buried in a Christian graveyard between the 12th and 18th centuries. While many couldn’t afford an actual plot, the majority of corpses ended up in mass graves that held around 1,500 people in each. As the corpse count climbed, several problems arose such as over crowding, putrid odors, and the supposed ability of the air in the cemetery to change the color of fabric and rot meat before one’s eyes.

Further, the bodies were not decomposing as expected. For a body to fully decompose, oxygen must be present. In the case of the bodies from the Cemetery of the Innocents, the lack of enough oxygen left the bodies as mounds of fat.

All of this led to a decree by King Louis XVI in 1775 to close all cemeteries within Paris. It took five years for the order to pass, as the church was unhappy about losing the revenue gained from plot-seekers. Eventually, the bodies were exhumed and moved to underground mine shafts—better known today as Paris’s famous Catacombs.

I’m sure by now you’re wondering what this has to do with Scientific American. In the October 30, 1852, issue, the magazine ran an article describing what was done with the fat deposits left behind from the improperly decomposed corpses in the cemetery—they were turned into soap and candles. Although there were no accompanying illustrations with the article, I’ve pasted it here 1) so you can form your own mental image, and 2) so it is clear that I didn’t make this stuff up.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/media/inline/blog/Image/fatcandle.jpg

SoonerNate
4/15/2011, 03:05 PM

No way of knowing that from the pic without seeing her teeth