PDA

View Full Version : This is why we need the Death Penalty...

TheHumanAlphabet
4/14/2011, 08:51 PM
Effing corksucker blows away old GF because IL didn't have the death penalty... (http://www.suntimes.com/4828757-573/man-accused-of-stalking-woman-before-killing-her-in-oak-brook.html)

Leroy Lizard
4/14/2011, 09:00 PM
Berlin said Smirnov had done research on the Internet to determine if Illinois had the death penalty, deciding to go through with Vesel’s murder when he discovered it does not.

Prior planning should always include adequate research on potential outcomes.

Whet
4/14/2011, 09:09 PM
I love living here! :rolleyes:

cccasooner2
4/14/2011, 09:11 PM
Prior planning should always include adequate research on potential outcomes.

You sound like a mathematician.

OhU1
4/14/2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah Illinois is so progressive. A disgraced Republican Governor suspended the death penalty - at least this didn't happen until John Wayne Gacy was put down.

But of course any anti-DP advocate will tell you as an established fact that the DP does not deter crime. Frankly I could care less if it does. If you kill someone in cold blood you should die, and quickly. I'm pro life that way :)

cccasooner2
4/14/2011, 09:18 PM
On the current state of stalking laws and enforcement of such let me post a reminder I received recently:

Quote:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, 1775

salth2o
4/14/2011, 09:19 PM
That is one GREAT things about living in Texas.

Whet
4/14/2011, 09:30 PM
It was our current corrupt Democrat Governor that signed the bill eliminating the Death Penalty. The State legislature is headed by corrupt Chicago pols, so they have all sorts of "good" ideas!

TheHumanAlphabet
4/14/2011, 09:36 PM
On the current state of stalking laws and enforcement of such let me post a reminder I received recently:

Quote:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Agreed. The way to take action is called a Concealed Carry Permit...

AlboSooner
4/14/2011, 09:50 PM
What a terrible story. It must be said, that the death penalty is the humane thing to do, rather than the slow, agonizing, mental breakdown of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

soonercruiser
4/14/2011, 09:58 PM
Problem solution?
"Extradite to Oklahoma"!

StoopTroup
4/14/2011, 10:09 PM
Hard Time. He'll wish he had gotten the Death Penalty

yermom
4/14/2011, 10:09 PM
i have two problems with the death penalty.

1) you can't undo killing someone when new evidence comes to light.

2) it generally costs more to kill someone than imprison them for life with all the appeals required because of #1

that being said. **** this guy. i hope someone takes him out when guards aren't looking before he even gets there.

StoopTroup
4/14/2011, 10:10 PM
What about charging him in Federal Court?

jkjsooner
4/14/2011, 10:19 PM
What about charging him in Federal Court?

Didn't read the article but did he commit a federal crime? Most murders are not federal offenses...

soonercruiser
4/14/2011, 10:23 PM
Hard Time. He'll wish he had gotten the Death Penalty

"Hard time"???
You mean like no cable TV?
:rolleyes:

yermom
4/14/2011, 10:27 PM
this is what you get when you let Canadians in the country

TheHumanAlphabet
4/14/2011, 11:45 PM
Didn't read the article but did he commit a federal crime? Most murders are not federal offenses...
Since he did live in Washington for a while and traveled to IL to kill, perhaps you could claim conspiracy and since it was an interstate conspiracy, go Fed. But would he really get the DP in this case if Fed? Don't think it is terrorism related...

StoopTroup
4/14/2011, 11:47 PM
"Hard time"???
You mean like no cable TV?
:rolleyes:

Tell us about your time in the joint....

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 12:57 AM
I got a better idea. Make him sit in a room, tied up, full of spiders. Than set the room on fire.

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Say wha?

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 08:25 AM
I got a better idea. Make him sit in a room, tied up, full of spiders. Than set the room on fire.

Why would you want to burn a bunch of innocent spiders?

2121Sooner
4/15/2011, 08:35 AM
I have always said the death penalty is not a deterrent.....

It is a punishment

Kill the piece of sh!t

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 09:10 AM
Why would you want to burn a bunch of innocent spiders?

no such thing. I know the help by killing bugs.

But not around my house.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 09:18 AM
no such thing. I know the help by killing bugs.

But not around my house.

Ron Weasley, is that you?

cantwait48
4/15/2011, 09:24 AM
I think they should bring back public hangings, not sure if it would help deter anyone but the tailgate parties would be awesome

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 09:29 AM
Ron Weasley, is that you?

Im more of a Malfoy.

I think they should bring back public hangings, not sure if it would help deter anyone but the tailgate parties would be awesome

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2010/9/16/10/no-nuh-uh-oh-wait-was-she-a-great-big-fat-24187-1284645667-12.jpg

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 09:37 AM
Im more of a Malfoy.

Narcissa Malfoy?

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 09:39 AM
Narcissa Malfoy?

uhhhhh. no.

Im a Harry Potter with a big wand.

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 09:43 AM
Whatever you say Cissy.

;)

KantoSooner
4/15/2011, 09:44 AM
I'm 100% for the DP. But here's the thing: In IL at least, they were finding not isolated cases of police/prosecution fu's that were putting innocent people on death row. Something like 20%.
Now, if you can imagine a worse fate (without going into 13 year-old boy fantasy land) than being sentenced to die by your society for a crime you did not commit, knowing all the while that the real perp is out laughing at you, you're welcome to it.
If you wrongfully lock people up, at least you can let them go if they are later exonerated.
Criminal penalties have three major justifications: retribution, reformation, prevention. It's arguable that tough parole rules and true 'life' sentences do more than the DP....without letting whatever percentage of irretrievable mistakes happen.

Oh, and it's actually cheaper to jail someone for life than to execute them.

That being said, and high mindedness aside, if, during arrest, a truly bad person happens to be shot by the police and killed, well, I wouldn't waste too much time or money investigating the cop.

I live with ambiguity.

BillyBall
4/15/2011, 10:02 AM
That kat looks bat **** crazy, apparently he is...

Jello Biafra
4/15/2011, 10:13 AM

not in my wolrd it isnt....how much does a bullet or a rope cost?

ByrnHoustonsSweatyPalms
4/15/2011, 10:18 AM
Life is precious. We can't have it both ways.

StoopTroup
4/15/2011, 11:16 AM
I'm 100% for the DP. But here's the thing: In IL at least, they were finding not isolated cases of police/prosecution fu's that were putting innocent people on death row. Something like 20%.
Now, if you can imagine a worse fate (without going into 13 year-old boy fantasy land) than being sentenced to die by your society for a crime you did not commit, knowing all the while that the real perp is out laughing at you, you're welcome to it.
If you wrongfully lock people up, at least you can let them go if they are later exonerated.
Criminal penalties have three major justifications: retribution, reformation, prevention. It's arguable that tough parole rules and true 'life' sentences do more than the DP....without letting whatever percentage of irretrievable mistakes happen.

That being said, and high mindedness aside, if, during arrest, a truly bad person happens to be shot by the police and killed, well, I wouldn't waste too much time or money investigating the cop.

I live with ambiguity.

I work with a guy who's Sister was murdered. Every time the guy appeals his death Sentence one or more of the Family has to appear and continue to be a part of making sure he stays on the road to execution. You've been robbed of your Sister being a part of your life, her Husband and children have been robbed having her in their life and the Parent's have been robbed of having her in their life. With the Death Penalty, people would have these poor victims of their Sister/ Daughter / Mother's life go through years of torture instead of just give him Life in prison/NO PAROLE.

Some folks don't see it the way many of us who've never lost someone close to us do.

Just saying.

There's a good reason to feel some ambiguity IMO.

KantoSooner
4/15/2011, 12:08 PM
not in my wolrd it isnt....how much does a bullet or a rope cost?

Well, true, but one does suspect the majority of the pop would want some sort of fact finding before the execution.

I'd be all over summary execution, if you could be absolutely sure. And, as I alluded in my comment about police shootings, I can see circumstances where you can be that sure.

It sure seems, however, that our cops and investigators either screw up the evidence or bias it a whole lot of the time. That makes me more skeptical than I might otherwise be.

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 01:00 PM
Whatever you say Cissy.

;)

:D

soonerbrat
4/15/2011, 01:07 PM
solitary confinement would be an awesome penalty

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 01:12 PM
solitary confinement would be an awesome penalty

with spiders. or the same song playing over and over again.

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 01:13 PM
or the same song playing over and over again.

Yeah, maybe Billy don't be a hero, or Heartbeat its a lovebeat!!!

soonerbrat
4/15/2011, 01:16 PM

or a faucet dripping randomly every 6-20 seconds.

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 01:18 PM
or a faucet dripping randomly every 6-20 seconds.

there ya go!

Im so glad i dont have to actually come up with reasonable punishments for law violators. That would be so hard.

soonerbrat
4/15/2011, 01:22 PM
well I mean it couldn't be at equal intervals, because you can tune that out after a while. has to be random intervals.

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 01:28 PM
gggcZvvZLeo

stoopified
4/15/2011, 01:28 PM
About 30 years ago when I was a young man I was a police officer idealistic (and Naive) enough to think I could save the world. On day I answered an unknown trouble call and ended up breaking up a fight between to men,one of whom whirled around at me with a tireiron.I ALMOST shot this guy.A couple years later I heard that this same guy(the one who had the tireiron) had kidnapped and lead a gangrape of a local 15 girl. He later kidnapped,tortured her,raoed her, and killed her while awaiting trial on the rape. He was convicted,senteced to LIP. There are still days I wish I had pulled the trigger on him.

saucysoonergal
4/15/2011, 01:32 PM
H0lKmznjgfQ

Talk about cruel and unusual!!!

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 01:33 PM
About 30 years ago when I was a young man I was a police officer idealistic (and Naive) enough to think I could save the world. On day I answered an unknown trouble call and ended up breaking up a fight between to men,one of whom whirled around at me with a tireiron.I ALMOST shot this guy.A couple years later I heard that this same guy(the one who had the tireiron) had kidnapped and lead a gangrape of a local 15 girl. He later kidnapped,tortured her,raoed her, and killed her while awaiting trial on the rape. He was convicted,senteced to LIP. There are still days I wish I had pulled the trigger on him.

wow. You did the right thing. Or at least in my opinion you did.

God knows whats best and he has a plan. You are not responsible.

Skysooner
4/15/2011, 02:16 PM

2) it generally costs more to kill someone than imprison them for life with all the appeals required because of #1

that being said. **** this guy. i hope someone takes him out when guards aren't looking before he even gets there.

This. Plus if you remember, there have been definite cases of crime lab techs falsifying evidence (see Joyce Gilchrist in Oklahoma City). There was one county in Texas that was almost bankrupted by the cost of the automatic appeals that were generated when they went for the death penalty instead of life in prison. I was pro DP for a long time, but it was false evidence at times that made me think it is much better to just put them in prison with no chance of parole.

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2011, 03:13 PM

Dude, that's not how you torture people!

"The time is 10:05, and 20 seconds."

"The time is 10:05, and 30 seconds."

"The time is 10:05, and 40 seconds."

Now THAT is how you torture people.

Noobs! :rolleyes:

(I know what's coming.)

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2011, 03:14 PM
God knows whats best and he has a plan.

Oh, so throw God under the bus. Way to go, OUDavid!

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 03:40 PM
Oh, so throw God under the bus. Way to go, OUDavid!

dam it LeRoy!

cccasooner2
4/15/2011, 04:33 PM
gggcZvvZLeo

Wow, that was certainly worthy of death. I hope it's not too late.

sappstuf
4/15/2011, 04:41 PM

That is true, but only because we allow it. If you have a case were you get 3-4 solid witnesses and positive DNA samples. You can have 1 appeal, then:

JEGCeWTcs64

cccasooner2
4/15/2011, 04:41 PM
H0lKmznjgfQ

Talk about cruel and unusual!!!

Definitely cruel and unusual. The condemned/uncondemned would die of laughter. The only thing that saved me was the cat threw up a hairball and distracted me,

Come to think of it, the title for a new movie: "The Uncondemned".

olevetonahill
4/15/2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:

And ONE has what to do with the other?:rolleyes:

salth2o
4/15/2011, 08:48 PM
Dude, that's not how you torture people!

"The time is 10:05, and 20 seconds."

"The time is 10:05, and 30 seconds."

"The time is 10:05, and 40 seconds."

Now THAT is how you torture people.

Noobs! :rolleyes:

(I know what's coming.)

That's what she said? ;)

OhU1
4/16/2011, 12:54 PM

You can never tell what will happen in the future, a different guy could have just been having a bad day and made a bad decision.

I do wish that worthless POS McBrain could have been made McBrainless with a slug put into his dome. What a psychopath. He must have plead for LWOP because he had the most clearcut DP case you could ever have.