PDA

View Full Version : Is the media racist regarding Mallett?

PDXsooner
4/14/2011, 11:37 AM
I keep hearing terms like "character issues" and "risky pick". Does anyone feel like this is racist? Or perhaps culturalist? I don't know. If it's racist regarding Cam Newton why isn't it racist regarding Mallett?

rainiersooner
4/14/2011, 11:48 AM
very funny

LakeRat
4/14/2011, 12:57 PM
I have learned from this board that only white people can be racist.

sOUnder
4/14/2011, 01:00 PM
I keep hearing terms like "character issues" and "risky pick".

I keep hearing "risky prick".

C&CDean
4/14/2011, 01:20 PM
I have learned from this board that only white people can be racist.

You learned that from this board? Must not get out much.

I learned it from TV/Newspapers/magazines/media.

JLEW1818
4/14/2011, 01:22 PM
heh. :D

bmjlr
4/14/2011, 01:27 PM

^^^^^THIS

PDXsooner
4/14/2011, 01:33 PM
The notion that only one race can be racist is ludicrous and anyone that buys that is a slobbering fool.

JLEW1818
4/14/2011, 01:34 PM
THAT AINT TRUE [hairGel]

Shakadoodoo
4/14/2011, 03:40 PM

I think your only paying attention to things that offend you - People are accused of being antisemitic, homophobic, Male chauvinistic, ect... just as often as whites being accused of racism.

C&CDean
4/14/2011, 04:06 PM
I think your only paying attention to things that offend you - People are accused of being antisemitic, homophobic, Male chauvinistic, ect... just as often as whites being accused of racism.

Sure, but how many times do you turn on your TV and see a brother being accused of racism? Not often - if ever.

If a bunch of black dudes beat the **** out of a white dude it ain't even newsworthy. A bunch of rednecks beat the **** out of a black dude - it's on CNN/MSNBC/Networks, and the two good Reverends Jackson and Sharpton are on a lear jet coming to town.

Anybody who doesn't see that is a slobbering fool...

cccasooner2
4/14/2011, 04:11 PM

The link doesn't work.

NorCal Sooner
4/14/2011, 04:17 PM
Sure, but how many times do you turn on your TV and see a brother being accused of racism? Not often - if ever.

If a bunch of black dudes beat the **** out of a white dude it ain't even newsworthy. A bunch of rednecks beat the **** out of a black dude - it's on CNN/MSNBC/Networks, and the two good Reverends Jackson and Sharpton are on a lear jet coming to town.

Slobbering fool right here...... and a very educated one too......

PDXsooner
4/14/2011, 04:17 PM

I agree with you.

Shakadoodoo
4/14/2011, 04:34 PM

This country was built on white supremacy - That has a lot to do with it. And if a bunch a black dudes beat the **** out of a white person - They will be in the penitentiary in no time. That is not very news worthy, unless you like reading reasons why people get locked up. But if a bunch of rednecks beat the **** out of a brother - they just might get off so you need people like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson to fly there to make sure justice is done.

Every person that stands up for black people is accused of being racist. The only one that did not was MLK - and that is because he preached non violence - I even read an article that claimed that Tim Wise - a white dude was a racist.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ABYIkI2aA) -

Aldebaran
4/14/2011, 04:44 PM
If Tim Wise was a racist, he would have worked for David Duke and not against him.

sooner518
4/14/2011, 04:59 PM
.......you need people like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson.....
) -

and thats where you lost me.....

Widescreen
4/14/2011, 05:04 PM

+1

Neither of those guys should have any credibility on any issue anymore. How anyone pays attention to one thing Sharpton says after the Tawana Brawley incident is beyond me.

Shakadoodoo
4/14/2011, 05:13 PM

Don't get stuck on the names - I just mentioned them because it was mentioned before but the point is the same - PEOPLE need to go there to make sure justice is done.

yermom
4/14/2011, 07:27 PM
somewhere racists are firing a ****ty black football coach. i hope Sharpton and Jackson come to the rescue soon.

Collier11
4/14/2011, 08:22 PM
what I was taught in a African American Culture class in college is that black people can be prejudice but not racist because to be racist means that the establishment behind you cannot be changed by the other race, or some **** like that

Soonerjeepman
4/14/2011, 10:44 PM
being a white teacher in a predominately black school...elementary...I hear the "whites people are racist" on a decent basis. I always correct them....but obviously they are learning it somewhere..or at least hearing it.

Also, had a muslim family girl say that "all Christians are evil"...if that doesn't make ya think....it's being taught out there...

and unfortunately all us Christians are blasted if we stand up for OUR beliefs....but we let everyone else profess theirs...weird..

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 08:47 AM
what I was taught in a African American Culture class in college is that black people can be prejudice but not racist because to be racist means that the establishment behind you cannot be changed by the other race, or some **** like that

What I was taught in Current Problems in Human Relations at OU is that white males are the cause for ALL of the world's problems. This includes global warming, El Nino, La Nina, poverty in Africa, blacks in prison, and erectile dysfunction.

Aldebaran
4/15/2011, 09:00 AM
You make an excellent case for the thesis with no sense of irony.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 09:18 AM
Blow me.

Aldebaran
4/15/2011, 09:21 AM
No thanks. It probably takes you three blue pills just to make it flaccid, and no one wants to see that.

Jello Biafra
4/15/2011, 09:22 AM
What I was taught in Current Problems in Human Relations at OU is that white males are the cause for ALL of the world's problems. This includes global warming, El Nino, La Nina, poverty in Africa, blacks in prison, and erectile dysfunction.

you forgot anal seepage and the water table shortage in the midwest...

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 09:25 AM
No thanks. It probably takes you three blue pills just to make it flaccid, and no one wants to see that.

Blue pills? Nah. Call me "smilin' Bob" and "it" has a name. It's ol' Gus.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/15/2011, 09:28 AM
I blame white people for Family Ties and Air Supply

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 09:31 AM
I blame white people for Family Ties and Air Supply

You mean "white jews" don't you? Them guys have put out more crappy TV than anybody.

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 09:39 AM

That's funny! If I was a white person that truly had no prejudices against another race - as you seem to be - I would feel the same way.

I get mad when I am perceived as being a low life thug waiting for a handout - and I know that is not the type of person I am.

But in the end - there are truths within stereotypes - and that gives the inductive reasoner a lot of fuel for the fire.

....But someone who thinks a general "rule" applies to all people in a group... is "a slobbering fool" - So I agree with you 100%.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/15/2011, 09:47 AM
But in the end - there are truths within stereotypes - and that gives the inductive reasoner a lot of fuel for the fire.

you know you like the one about the big penis though...

Jello Biafra
4/15/2011, 10:08 AM

haahaa....jlew is watching this thread hardcore now.

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 10:22 AM

Yes I do... Sometimes I have to put in extra work to make sure that stereotype holds true...lol

But back on topic -
Many black people get mad because when a black athlete is good... it is because of his natural ability...

But when a white person is good it is because of their hard work, dedication, will power and their intelligence of the game.

Why is it that the only reason I am good is because of natural ability? So I don't work hard, have dedication and will power. I'm not intelligent enough to understand the game..... The only reason I'm good is because of "natural ability?"

And when I do well and show that I can rise to the cream of the crop.... I still have "character issues" and I'm a "risky pick".....

That **** gets old. Even if there is truth behind the stereotype.

I think that is where the "racism" issue you are offended by is coming from.

yermom
4/15/2011, 10:46 AM
was AD a "risky pick" with "character issues"?

or are you just talking about quarterbacks?

if Cam Newton was a pocket passer that didn't have a daddy selling him to the highest bidder, i don't think these words would come up. "athletic" QBs that run a lot are "risky picks" are they not?

NorCal Sooner
4/15/2011, 11:03 AM
To get back on topic, Mallett and Newton are risky picks. They both have the privileged athlete mentality, and although I have never met them, they both seem like dicks. This has absolutely nothing to do with race. They both just might have character issues.

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 11:06 AM
was AD a "risky pick" with "character issues"?

or are you just talking about quarterbacks?

if Cam Newton was a pocket passer that didn't have a daddy selling him to the highest bidder, i don't think these words would come up. "athletic" QBs that run a lot are "risky picks" are they not?

AD was different. He came in fully dedicated and left with the same attitude. There was no way for anyone to discredit his attentions. We "especially as Oklahomans and OU fans" know that. But if you have any issues in college..... as many college athletes do.... College students all together. - Then your a thug...... Not a kid that is learning and growing so they can be a viable asset of society/NFL? ect... - and one that can eventually overcome those problems. There was never any way to attach those stereotypes to AD. He was on point.

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 11:16 AM
To get back on topic, Mallett and Newton are risky picks. They both have the privileged athlete mentality, and although I have never met them, they both seem like dicks. This has absolutely nothing to do with race. They both just might have character issues.

Now we are getting back to honest observation - racism was never the issue in the first place. Those that always try to point it out just may be the most racist ones. Even though they don' t realize it.

yermom
4/15/2011, 11:17 AM
i guess i don't follow.

so you don't think Cam Newton is a risky pick with character issues? that's not a fair assessment of him? it seems to me that would apply if he was white as well

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2011, 11:18 AM
And when I do well and show that I can rise to the cream of the crop.... I still have "character issues" and I'm a "risky pick".....

AD is black and they didn't say he had character issues and was a risky pick.

Primarily because he didn't have any character issues and therefore wasn't a risky pick.

Cam stole a laptop. AD didn't. Therefore one player gets labeled a risky pick and the other one doesn't.

If you don't want to be called a risky pick, don't steal laptops.

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 11:34 AM
AD is black and they didn't say he had character issues and was a risky pick.

Primarily because he didn't have any character issues and therefore wasn't a risky pick.

Cam stole a laptop. AD didn't. Therefore one player gets labeled a risky pick and the other one doesn't.

If you don't want to be called a risky pick, don't steal laptops.

I agree. Stand straight and you will be straight. Do good and you will be good. That is what all people need to do.

It just takes some longer to understand that than others. I'm sure you understand that.... Teacher!

SoonerNomad
4/15/2011, 11:36 AM
I know the original poster was being sarcastic, but Mallett's character attacks are actually are the opposite of some racist rant aginst him. They are based on his specific behavior and past indiscretions which make him a risky pick due to character issues. Same with Newton. I wouldn't draft either one of them.

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 11:49 AM
i guess i don't follow.

so you don't think Cam Newton is a risky pick with character issues? that's not a fair assessment of him? it seems to me that would apply if he was white as well

This discussion started with the assumption that The media is portraying whites in the wrong light. Facts are the facts. No disagreement with that.

yermom
4/15/2011, 11:52 AM
i'll refer to SoonerNomad's post above.

calling Mallet a risky pick is no more racist than calling Cam Newton a risky pick

i did hear Mallet was a gym rat though. a student of the game.

StoopTroup
4/15/2011, 11:58 AM
I decided to settle down in my 30's with a nice White Woman and have kids. I was tired of dating Black Gals and them going OMG....you ain't putting that monster in me!

White chics can take it. I like that about them.

:D

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 12:07 PM
I decided to settle down in my 30's with a nice White Woman and have kids. I was tired of dating Black Gals and them going OMG....you ain't putting that monster in me!

White chics can take it. I like that about them.

My Daddy always taught me that "a wise man knows what to ignore!" Black Woman Are Beautiful! So are White ones, Brown ones..... ALL OF THEM!

StoopTroup
4/15/2011, 12:23 PM
yeah....but I married a white one.....am I racist?

Shakadoodoo
4/15/2011, 12:29 PM
yeah....but I married a white one.....am I racist?

Only if you married her just because she was white!

StoopTroup
4/15/2011, 12:34 PM
Only if you married her just because she was white!

I'll have to check with her.....

badger
4/15/2011, 12:36 PM
I know this is silly thread and all, but there's a cool Mallett story on ESPN of his parents basically being all like "all lies! we don't know nothing about those bad character rumors!"

On one hand, I'm thinking "Poor Ryan is just getting a bunch of trash talked about him because of his intoxication thing." And on the other hand, I'm think "Silly naive parents never think the worst in their precious little boy."

Check it out. Fun read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6348822

BoomerJ
4/15/2011, 12:41 PM
Heck yeah, it's racist. Ryan Mallet survived the holocaust. Look it up at Fark Central. Sorry I wasn't able to attach the picture.

StoopTroup
4/15/2011, 12:49 PM
I know this is silly thread and all, but there's a cool Mallett story on ESPN of his parents basically being all like "all lies! we don't know nothing about those bad character rumors!"

On one hand, I'm thinking "Poor Ryan is just getting a bunch of trash talked about him because of his intoxication thing." And on the other hand, I'm think "Silly naive parents never think the worst in their precious little boy."

Check it out. Fun read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6348822

I've got a couple of friends and a Cousin all over 6'5''.

This is so true....

Still, the image questions persist. A Google search of the words "Ryan Mallett" and "thug" produces more than 43,000 hits. Debbie wonders if the hoodies prompted some of it. She'd go to Walmart with him on Sundays to pick up toiletries in Fayetteville. She knew he wouldn't get to the checkout stand without getting stopped 20 times for autographs. At 6-7, you can't hide.

sappstuf
4/15/2011, 12:59 PM

calling Mallet a risky pick is no more racist than calling Cam Newton a risky pick

When announcers use phrases like "student of the game" and "scrappy" you KNOW they are white...

Jello Biafra
4/15/2011, 01:14 PM
with all this being said....

WHARE ALL THA WHITE WIMMENS?!?!?!?

Jello Biafra
4/15/2011, 01:18 PM
I've got a couple of friends and a Cousin all over 6'5''.

This is so true....

i had a kid (probably 12 or 13) in the wharshington DC airport walk up to me at a newspaper stand and ask me if i was batista....i had no clue what or who he was talking about.....after i found out who he was, i no longer thought i could be a good undercover agent.

Okie35
4/15/2011, 01:27 PM
When announcers use phrases like "student of the game" and "scrappy" you KNOW they are white...

when announcers say he's "a real class act" you know he's black. Anyway, Mallett is no different than Matt Jones when he came out of college and yes Mallett has allegations of substance use.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 01:31 PM
When announcers say "he clocked a 4.35 40" you know he's black...

Okie35
4/15/2011, 01:33 PM
When announcers say "he clocked a 4.35 40" you know he's black...

you reminded me of this

bQ3FApb6pMk

IB4OU2
4/15/2011, 01:34 PM

Agreed, White Dudes don't make me erect either.

Bishop3000
4/15/2011, 01:36 PM
when announcers say he's "a real class act" you know he's black. Anyway, Mallett is no different than Matt Jones when he came out of college and yes Mallett has allegations of substance use.
So basically what you're saying is that not only is it assumed that black players dont work hard but its also assumed that it's abnormal if they have class?
jk

Matt Jones and Ryan Mallett both like to sample substances and party its just that Matt liked to party and have fun with his teammates whereas Ryan's teammates usually come close to whippin his azz. Oh and Mallet is a grade a pr!ck.

Okie35
4/15/2011, 01:40 PM
So basically what you're saying is that not only is it assumed that black players dont work hard but its also assumed that it's abnormal if they have class?
jk

Matt Jones and Ryan Mallett both like to sample substances and party its just that Matt liked to party and have fun with his teammates whereas Ryan's teammates usually come close to whippin his azz. Oh and Mallet is a grade a pr!ck.

lol I thought he was quoting from the show, the League. So I threw in another quote from it.

StoopTroup
4/15/2011, 01:47 PM
Black guys, White Guys, Brown Guys, Asians guys....they all suffer from Sheenis Envy....

I'm a WINNER ! ! ! I've joined up with Charlie. Hos, Trolls need not apply!

DOG'S SPEED My good Soldiers ! ! !

TPb6xQ1Weok

SoonerNutt
4/15/2011, 02:07 PM

The difference is that with anti-semetism, Homophobia, and Male Chauvanist, the target of such offense is defined by the charge. Racism, on the other hand is a general term, but it is sloppily used almost extensively to refer to white vs. black racism. Maybe if they just changed the name to "black-o-phobia" there wouldn't be such confusion.

SoonerNutt
4/15/2011, 02:25 PM
Yes I do... Sometimes I have to put in extra work to make sure that stereotype holds true...lol

But back on topic -
Many black people get mad because when a black athlete is good... it is because of his natural ability...

But when a white person is good it is because of their hard work, dedication, will power and their intelligence of the game.

Why is it that the only reason I am good is because of natural ability? So I don't work hard, have dedication and will power. I'm not intelligent enough to understand the game..... The only reason I'm good is because of "natural ability?" And when I do well and show that I can rise to the cream of the crop.... I still have "character issues" and I'm a "risky pick".....

That **** gets old. Even if there is truth behind the stereotype.

I think that is where the "racism" issue you are offended by is coming from.

I don't think many people are making those kind of claims about elite athletes. For every 1 elite black athlete, there are many thousands of black non-athletes. Regardless of race, a person at the level of either Mallett or Newton has put in alot of commitment and effort. Anybody arguing otherwise would be ridiculed heavily. Whether they are "risky picks" is a totally different discussion though.

Leroy Lizard
4/15/2011, 03:08 PM
when announcers say he's "a real class act" you know the announcer suffers from White Guilt.

FIFY

yermom
4/15/2011, 04:05 PM
lol I thought he was quoting from the show, the League. So I threw in another quote from it.

that's a great show :D

i've heard other people talk about the gymrat thing, but i'm not sure where it started. i first heard it on The League, but i don't really listen to sports radio much

NorCal Sooner
4/15/2011, 04:09 PM
with all this being said....

WHARE ALL THA WHITE WIMMENS?!?!?!?

I think the exact quote is "Hey, where the white women at?".

badger
4/15/2011, 04:59 PM
I think the exact quote is "Hey, where the white women at?".

You rang?

agoo758
4/15/2011, 08:55 PM
You rang?

You're white?!:eek:

KNEE BRACE
4/16/2011, 12:33 AM
What I've learned is that the people who complain about it "not being possible to be racist against whites" are just racists themselves. Who cares what those ignorant idiots think, anyway?

cleller
4/16/2011, 07:25 AM
I think Cam Newton is a risky pick because he's not that great a QB.

Shakadoodoo
4/16/2011, 09:50 AM
I don't think many people are making those kind of claims about elite athletes. For every 1 elite black athlete, there are many thousands of black non-athletes. Regardless of race, a person at the level of either Mallett or Newton has put in alot of commitment and effort. Anybody arguing otherwise would be ridiculed heavily. Whether they are "risky picks" is a totally different discussion though.

Any athlete knows that in order to make it as an elite athlete you have to have dedication, will power, heart, work ethic, and intelligence of the game. You can not get to the next level without it. You can have all the natural talent in the world but without work ethic - you have no chance at the next level. Marcus Dupree is a prime example of that. .....but many people that have not been athletes all their life still hold these stereotypes. One more note... When I was getting recruited in college I remember hearing that Dan Gable did not recruit many black kids because of their work ethic.... (which seems to be true because he never recruited any of us - Kenny Monday, Leo Shepard, Thomas Landrum, Rickey Reed, Keith Nix, ect..... the only black wrestler I can remember him having was Chris Campbell - and he was a weird dude - extremely tough - but definitely not your average brother!) - so that mentality still runs rampant - even amongst elite athletes.

At the same time - dealing with my young wrestlers - I hear all the time that my kids are good because of there natural ability. I know people do not mean it in a raciest way but 99% of the time "natural ability" is the perceived reason why I am told my kids win. I have seen kids that work harder than others between the ages of 4-10 - but any kid making it to the finals of tournaments like Tulsa Nationals - have natural ability - not just my black kids. usually when they grind matches out with another tough wrestler it is because of their heart - not just their natural ability.

Collier11
4/16/2011, 10:02 AM
But in the end - there are truths within stereotypes

Almost all stereotypes are based on some sort of fact or ignorance, that is where I differentiate stereotypes and prejudice though. Do Black people like chicken and white people cant jump, for the most part yes :D

Are all black people thugs and all white people racists POS's, NO

Collier11
4/16/2011, 10:04 AM

Calling Cam Newton a risky pick is no more racist than me saying I dont like chitlens (sp?)

Collier11
4/16/2011, 10:06 AM

So if I say im black from the waste down does that make me racist

Shakadoodoo
4/16/2011, 10:09 AM
The difference is that with anti-semetism, Homophobia, and Male Chauvanist, the target of such offense is defined by the charge. Racism, on the other hand is a general term, but it is sloppily used almost extensively to refer to white vs. black racism. Maybe if they just changed the name to "black-o-phobia" there wouldn't be such confusion.

I see your point there but I still think mental deletion plays a part. I think people pay attention to what affects them more that they pay attention things that do not. Every time I think of racism as a general term as you mentioned white vs. black racism is not what pops in my mind first.

Other types of racism are used sloppily as well. Does it make a person raciest/homophobic because they don't want to sit in a room with several flamboyant homosexuals. or - how could someone like Louis Farrakhan be considered a anti-Semite when he follows a Semitic prophet and a Semitic God? I think many times these terms are used loosely for propaganda purposes or other ulterior motives.

Collier11
4/16/2011, 10:13 AM
I think it is racist that Greta Van Sustern and Nancy Grace only show missing white girls

Shakadoodoo
4/16/2011, 10:23 AM
Almost all stereotypes are based on some sort of fact or ignorance, that is where I differentiate stereotypes and prejudice though. Do Black people like chicken and white people cant jump, for the most part yes :D

Are all black people thugs and all white people racists POS's, NO

I do not know to many people that do not like chicken. All white people like chicken is just as valid as all black people like chicken.

As fas as athletic ability.... I think many blacks are taught that "the only way out the ghetto is sports" - forget about staying in school, study hard, stay out of the streets, ect....." Many whites know they have more options than sports and they take advantage of those opportunities more often. We need to stop teaching kids in our communities that sports are their only options out and start focusing more on education!

Shakadoodoo
4/16/2011, 10:28 AM
I think it is racist that Greta Van Sustern and Nancy Grace only show missing white girls

I agree with that!

pphilfran
4/16/2011, 10:34 AM
Nice debate, Shaka....