PDA

View Full Version : How in hell do you SAVE 14,000 on grocery's?

olevetonahill
4/14/2011, 07:09 AM
This says she SAVED that much last year. Who in hell spends that much to start with? I know that stuff has gone up a bunch , But dayum i dont spend but maybe 150 er so a month.

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-112514-9255-1-confessions-of-an-extreme-couponer?ywaad=ad0035&nc

Boomer.....
4/14/2011, 07:18 AM
I watched that show Extreme Couponing on TLC the other day. It is RIDICULOUS at the amount of things that these women buy just because they have coupons. They were buying 62 bottles of mustard and mass quantities of everything. They all have mini grocery stores in their house because of all of the stuff they buy. I bet they waste more money than they save because of the things going bad.

delhalew
4/14/2011, 07:23 AM
This says she SAVED that much last year. Who in hell spends that much to start with? I know that stuff has gone up a bunch , But dayum i dont spend but maybe 150 er so a month.

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-112514-9255-1-confessions-of-an-extreme-couponer?ywaad=ad0035&nc

Dude...wife and two kids, I drop $400 easy. If you count eating out, vittles can get real costly.

It's only going to get worse. Lots of folks will be trying to figure out how to eat, run the a/c, and put fuel in the car, cause they won't be able to do all three.

delhalew
4/14/2011, 07:25 AM
I watched that show Extreme Couponing on TLC the other day. It is RIDICULOUS at the amount of things that these women buy just because they have coupons. They were buying 62 bottles of mustard and mass quantities of everything. They all have mini grocery stores in their house because of all of the stuff they buy. I bet they waste more money than they save because of the things going bad.

I wish my ole lady would clip a ****ing coupon.

Boomer.....
4/14/2011, 07:26 AM
A few coupons is fine. These women go to the store with 2,500 coupons. It took over 2 hours to check out!

olevetonahill
4/14/2011, 07:28 AM
Dude...wife and two kids, I drop $400 easy. If you count eating out, vittles can get real costly.

It's only going to get worse. Lots of folks will be trying to figure out how to eat, run the a/c, and put fuel in the car, cause they won't be able to do all three.

Ok do the Math Bro you do 400 a month in a year thats 4800 total
This broad says she SAVED 14,000 in a year, That means she saved almost 1200 a Month
Thats 3 times what you SPEND.:eek:

How much that bitch spend Before she started saving?

delhalew
4/14/2011, 07:31 AM
A few coupons is fine. These women go to the store with 2,500 coupons. It took over 2 hours to check out!

I was behind her in line.:)

delhalew
4/14/2011, 07:35 AM
Ok do the Math Bro you do 400 a month in a year thats 4800 total
This broad says she SAVED 14,000 in a year, That means she saved almost 1200 a Month
Thats 3 times what you SPEND.:eek:

How much that bitch spend Before she started saving?

I was just thinking maybe she has one those families with 6-12 kids, and the cost of not eating out was included. Still don't know how you save 14 k, but I know its getting easier to spend that much.

olevetonahill
4/14/2011, 07:38 AM
I was just thinking maybe she has one those families with 6-12 kids, and the cost of not eating out was included. Still don't know how you save 14 k, but I know its getting easier to spend that much.

Article said she had 3 kids :rolleyes:

OrlandoSooner
4/14/2011, 08:07 AM

Nah, I doubt the $14,000 was true savings year over year. After reading the article, I'm guessing that the $14,000 savings was how much she saved off of retail. "I bought 144 boxes of Kleenex because I had a 40% coupon that I could double stack! I don't have to buy these again until 2014!"

Total retail cost: $250
Cost to crazy lady: $50
Savings: $200

From the photo, she has her own mini market in her house. If they would just provide her address, I know where I would go if I survive apocalypse. Think Will Smith in I am Legend

delhalew
4/14/2011, 08:22 AM
Nah, I doubt the $14,000 was true savings year over year. After reading the article, I'm guessing that the $14,000 savings was how much she saved off of retail. "I bought 144 boxes of Kleenex because I had a 40% coupon that I could double stack! I don't have to buy these again until 2014!"

Total retail cost: $250
Cost to crazy lady: $50
Savings: $200

From the photo, she has her own mini market in her house. If they would just provide her address, I know where I would go if I survive apocalypse. Think Will Smith in I am Legend

My grandparents who survived the Depression and the Dust Bowl did that to a smaller degree. Usual stacks OG coffee and toilet paper. They had a deep freeze for whatever meat was on sale.

2121Sooner
4/14/2011, 08:27 AM
$14,000?

You could save that much too Olevet if you cut out natty light

KuppiKunta
4/14/2011, 08:29 AM
Up next on TLC.....Food Hoarders.

Boomer.....
4/14/2011, 08:31 AM

That's the first thing I thought of.

delhalew
4/14/2011, 08:46 AM

They gots a lot of ballz calling that turd The Learning Channel.

texaspokieokie
4/14/2011, 08:53 AM
My grandparents who survived the Depression and the Dust Bowl did that to a smaller degree. Usual stacks OG coffee and toilet paper. They had a deep freeze for whatever meat was on sale.

My parents survived the depression (even me, born in 36). my Mother told me
that my father's wages dropped from $18/day to $3/day. he did OK tho, had a
job all thru the dep. worked in oilfield.

Aldebaran
4/14/2011, 09:07 AM

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/01%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

Adrian
4/14/2011, 09:19 AM
Not sure how they do it-my experience is, that the coupon is on a new item the store does not carry yet, or worse, an old, familiar item which has been conveniently pulled from the shelves...

delhalew
4/14/2011, 09:20 AM

Around here your average Joe can survive anything as long as the oil industry doesn't take a dump.

delhalew
4/14/2011, 09:22 AM
Not sure how they do it-my experience is, that the coupon is on a new item the store does not carry yet, or worse, an old, familiar item which has been conveniently pulled from the shelves...

That is a store you should avoid, unless they legitimately sold out.

Viking Kitten
4/14/2011, 09:35 AM
They gots a lot of ballz calling that turd The Learning Channel.

I decided a while back they should change the name to "The Schadenfreude Channel," because the people featured on every single show make me feel a lot better about my own problems. Including the crazy couponers with 183 jars of pickle relish in their closet.

1890MilesToNorman
4/14/2011, 09:57 AM
Maybe she trying to open her own Megalowmart?

1890MilesToNorman
4/14/2011, 10:00 AM
Why is it I have never seen a beer coupon?

olevetonahill
4/14/2011, 10:03 AM
Why is it I have never seen a beer coupon?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TT_JLzPTJNQ/TJEamovUWOI/AAAAAAAAAO0/iXA4nyMp0_Y/s1600/brilliant.idea.jpg

OrlandoSooner
4/14/2011, 10:05 AM

You might be shopping at the same store as a mega-coupon cutter.

yermom
4/14/2011, 10:06 AM
heh.

OrlandoSooner
4/14/2011, 10:08 AM

I wasn't making fun of ordinary people for doing this. I was one of 5, so we definitely did some of this when I was growing up. It just sounds like this lady gets a high from saving $$ on coupons. I'd venture to guess that she is buying a ton of junk that she doesn't need for the sake of chasing that "money savings" high.

My dad would always groan when my mom and sisters would come back from the store talking about how much money that they saved. More money saved = more total money spent.

yermom
4/14/2011, 10:08 AM
i have heard the other side of this though. buying $50 worth of stuff for $12

people buying like 1/4 lb of cheese at a time and stuff

StoopTroup
4/14/2011, 10:20 AM
I buy Sonic dogs and bring them Home and drink Homemade Tea with them. I feel bad for not buying that Route 99 drink.

delhalew
4/14/2011, 10:35 AM
I wasn't making fun of ordinary people for doing this. I was one of 5, so we definitely did some of this when I was growing up. It just sounds like this lady gets a high from saving $$ on coupons. I'd venture to guess that she is buying a ton of junk that she doesn't need for the sake of chasing that "money savings" high.

My dad would always groan when my mom and sisters would come back from the store talking about how much money that they saved. More money saved = more total money spent.

No worries. I knew what you meant, and didn't think it was out of line.

StoopTroup
4/14/2011, 10:44 AM
Homeland near my House still has those double coupon days....

Adrian
4/14/2011, 10:53 AM
I buy Sonic dogs and bring them Home and drink Homemade Tea with them. I feel bad for not buying that Route 99 drink.

HAPPY HOUR AT SONIC IS 2-4 PM!

Leroy Lizard
4/14/2011, 11:54 AM

In my house it takes my wife about 1 hour to check out and another hour to describe to me, in riveting detail, how much she saved. I've got it down pretty well.

"Wow, that's great."

"Say that again. You saved how much on that item?"

"You're really saving us a lot of money."

"Boy, I bet the store is mad."

"You mean free? You didn't even have to pay for it?"

I just cycle through those comments, spacing them about two minutes apart.

I shouldn't complain too much. Our grocery bills are minuscule in comparison to our neighbors. Sure, I'm going to have eighteen bottles of mustard with no bread for about a week, but food is food.

I just remember the latest haul: She "bought" three bottles of shampoo, two large bottles of mouth wash, and two bags of razors and paid nothing.

OUthunder
4/14/2011, 12:05 PM

Answer: Don't have kids. :D