PDA

View Full Version : big 12, fox sports reach TV agreement...

phislammajamma
4/13/2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/04/13/sports/ncaafootball/AP-FBC-Big-12-Fox-Sports.html?ref=sports

April 13, 2011
Big 12, Fox Sports Reach TV Agreement
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

The Big 12 Conference and Fox Sports have reached a 13-year agreement for cable television rights to 40 football games a season in addition to other events.

Financial details were not announced in a Big 12 news release. Sports Business Journal has reported that the contract will pay the conference $90 million a year.

The contract starts with the 2012 football season.

Mike Stoops
4/13/2011, 04:17 PM
I don't like the picture quality on Fox Sports. It's like watching someone's old camcorder home movies.

badger
4/13/2011, 04:24 PM
I don't like the picture quality on Fox Sports. It's like watching someone's old camcorder home movies.

^^^ this.

So... $90 mil per year. Most conferences would have it split evenly among the teams, meaning $9 mil per year, but as everyone already knows on here, the Big 12 is a little different -- you play on TV more often, you get more revenue.

In any event, looks like Texas A&M isn't gonna get the $20 mil per year they think they were promised to not go to the SEC :rolleyes:

jagvocate
4/13/2011, 04:32 PM
Actually, badger, Bebe was specifically asked in the Big 12 teleconference today and said A&M would get the money, that the $20M is now a "moot point"

NorCal Sooner
4/13/2011, 04:35 PM
Is anyone else underwhelmed by this deal? 13 year deal worth 90 million seems a bit low. I know the Texas deal with ESPN is for a network (channel), but think of the crap that's going to be on the Longhorn network. And they got 300 million for 20 years just for televising womens Lacrosse.

badger
4/13/2011, 04:45 PM
Actually, badger, Bebe was specifically asked in the Big 12 teleconference today and said A&M would get the money, that the $20M is now a "moot point"

OK, so apparently this does not include the existing (I think it's through 2015-16) deal with ABC/ESPN, which would make total TV (sand the Bevo Network) deal $130 mil, or $13 million on average per team.

It was originally said that the "little 5" promised the "big 3" $20 mil each to stay, so it that rings true...

OU: $20 mil
UT: $20 mil
A&M: $20 mil
The other seven: $10 million each

Ouch! I heard that OU and UT both declined that deal, but A&M, which owes its academic side $16 mil, insisted on keeping the promise. Soooo...

A&M: $20 mil
Other nine: $110 mil to split, or around $12 million

The Bevo Network will pay UT another $15 mil per year. OU definitely has some ground to make up if this thing pans out the way it is now.

jagvocate
4/13/2011, 05:13 PM
badger,

I am not disparaging the fine admin folks of the University of Oklahoma when I say I don't think they are that benevolent ... OU isn't foregoing a share of $20M as much as it is confident that $20M in revenue especially from all its TV appearances is virtually guaranteed ... therefore no need to look "needy" like A&M

Collier11
4/13/2011, 06:40 PM
$130 mil per year counting ESPN contract thru 15-16

Ruf/Nek7
4/13/2011, 08:29 PM
ok....when are we getting our own network again?

TheBobbyTrain
4/13/2011, 09:48 PM
no matter what the dollar firgure and exposure time is - if the deal includes having dave lapham as a commentator then the whole deal is crap.

MeMyself&Me
4/13/2011, 09:55 PM
Regarding dollar amount, considering this is a secondary TV contract, this looks pretty good to me. The next primary contract should be much better. Combine that with whatever OU will get from it's own network deal when that happens and OU will be in a sweet financial position.

Okie35
4/14/2011, 12:11 AM

Yea even in HD its awful.

virginiasooner
4/14/2011, 09:16 AM
Oh crap, that means that I'll have to endure the unmoveable forehead of Jim Knox for the whole season!

MiccoMacey
4/14/2011, 09:27 AM
Regarding dollar amount, considering this is a secondary TV contract, this looks pretty good to me. The next primary contract should be much better. Combine that with whatever OU will get from it's own network deal when that happens and OU will be in a sweet financial position.

Exactly. Usually there are three tiers of TV contracts (two major networks and a local, like Cox, who can show those games that aren't attractive enough to be picked up by the first two).

If this is the second tier contract, this is still pretty big.

PDXsooner
4/14/2011, 10:31 AM
I think it's around $155 million if the Fox deal is 90 and ESPN/ABC is 65 mill. that works out to over $15 million per year per school.

badger
4/14/2011, 10:34 AM
that works out to over $15 million per year per school.

Tee hee, assuming we share equally, which we won't, never have, never will :D

It's not that it isn't fair. It's that the little guys in the conference know they don't have a home elsewhere, so rather than settle for mid-dollars from mid-major membership, they settle for upper-mid dollars in BCS conference membership.

85sooners
4/14/2011, 11:06 AM
:gary:

Penguin
4/14/2011, 05:30 PM
Don't worry. When the Big 10 and SEC renegotiate for a bajillion dollars per year in about 3 years or so, we'll be bitching about how we are locked into an "awful" TV deal.