PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Jerseys

CowboyMRW
4/13/2011, 03:21 PM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/steigstory/04-10-2011-Steigerwald

Know when you've outgrow the uniform

Maybe it's time for sports fans to grow up.
As I'm writing this, Bryan Snow, a 42-year-old paramedic with two kids from Sacramento, is in a medically induced coma in a Los Angeles hospital with a fractured skull and serious brain injuries.

Part of his skull had to be removed to allow for the swelling of his brain.

Snow went to the Los Angeles Dodgers' home opener on April 1 wearing a San Francisco Giants jersey. That was obviously too much for two 20-something men wearing Dodger blue to handle. Witnesses say that after the game, they came up on Snow from behind in the parking lot, knocked him down and kicked him as they spewed expletives about the San Francisco Giants.

It's probably safe to say that the two "Dodgers" were high on something or things, but somewhere in their sick, juvenile minds, they probably also thought they were doing their duty as Dodger fans.
They were protecting Dodger turf.

Just before he was beaten to within an inch of his life, Snow texted some friends and said that he was "scared inside the stadium."

Maybe someone can ask Snow, if he ever comes out of his coma, why he thought it was a good idea to wear Giants' gear to a Dodgers' home opener when there was a history of out-of-control drunkenness and arrests at that event going back several years.

Remember when it was the kids who were wearing the team jerseys to games? It was a common sight to see an adult male coming through the turnstile dressed as a regular human being with a kid dressed in a "real" jersey holding his hand.

Cute.

Are the 42-year-olds who find it necessary to wear their replica jerseys to a road game, those kids who are now fathers who haven't grown up?

Are there really 40-something men who think that wearing the jersey makes them part of the team? It was cute when a 10-year-old kid got that feeling by showing up at Three Rivers Stadium in a Pirates jersey, but when did little boys stop growing out of that?

Here's tip for you if you actually think that wearing your team's jersey makes you a part of the team:

It doesn't.

The team is those guys down on the field, ice or court who are, you know, actually playing the games. They like the noise you make as a group, and they love playing in front of you. If you're an adult, and you approach them in a replica game jersey with their name on it and your face is painted, you scare them.

If you don't put that jersey on in the locker room with them and have your own name on your jersey, you're not one of them.

Let's review: If you're sitting in the stands, you're a spectator, a fan. If you're down on he field, you're part of the team.

Obviously, not every fan who wears his team's jersey to a game is looking for someone from "the enemy" to beat up. But maybe somebody should do a psychological study to find out if all those game jerseys have contributed to the new mob mentality that seems to exist in the stands these days.

There's an outside chance that alcohol plays a role but apparently, the teams have ruled that out and continue to sell $9 beers.

If you're one of two or three guys wearing Steelers jerseys sitting in the middle of the Dawg Pound in Cleveland, guess what? The Steelers players can't see you and even if they could, they're not really getting a lot of inspiration from you.

If you're set upon by a bunch of drunken adults wearing dog costumes, you probably shouldn't expect any help from the guys on the field who are wearing the jerseys that look just like yours.

Why not just go to the Browns game in Cleveland dressed as a regular human being? When did it become necessary to wear a uniform to the game?

What a ****** this guy is. But what do yall think about wearing jerseys

Curly Bill
4/13/2011, 03:23 PM
I think wearing jerseys are fine if you're playing on a sports team, or if you're a kid. Otherwise, not so much.

sooner_born_1960
4/13/2011, 03:25 PM
I don't own any jerseys, but putting the blame on the guy who got beat up is pretty lame.

olevetonahill
4/13/2011, 03:26 PM
So the writer thinks the reason the dudes Brains were bashed in is his own?
**** him

CowboyMRW
I don't own any jerseys, but putting the blame on the guy who got beat up is pretty lame.

That's what I'm thinking.

I think that it is fine as long as it's during gameday

KantoSooner
I get that he thinks that fans think that wearing a jersey makes you 'part of the team'.
And that it really doesn't.
I guess that is pretty much the limit of his insight. That's right: he's sussed out that simply wearing the jersey you bought in the souvenir shop does NOT make you a member of the team. Phew. And here I"ve feared for years being suddenly called onto the field at my daughter's high school when wearing her school colors. I mean, how embarrassing would THAT have been? Me, a grown man, having no choice but to go down onto the basketball court and start fouling little girls.

Kind of something I don't do, wearing jerseys. but they are damn comfy. Everybody's own call, I guess.

badger
4/13/2011, 03:29 PM
Jerseys are among the clothes that I was disallowed from wearing as a kid. I think it was partially due to cost - they were like $50 each when they first came out. I think you can find them cheaper now if you really look, but there's some crazy authentic ones or retro ones out there that can run several hundred I think.

The other reason was because it wasn't a pink dress :mad:

As such, I have several Packer jerseys, several more Sooner jerseys and have gone through a few basketball ones over the years as well since childhood.

For the most part though, jerseys tend to be less cool as you get older. After awhile, you have to upgrade to the Stoops polo. With matching Stoops visor, if you're cool enough :D

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 03:36 PM
I don't wear OU jerseys, but I do own a Clay Matthews Packer jersey and a Bob Gibson Cardinals jersey and I'll wear them when/where I want.

That being said, I always wear OU shirts/jackets/hats to OU games home and away. So do most fans. Why is a jersey any different than a T-shirt? Stupid reporter/writer.

OU Adonis
4/13/2011, 04:04 PM
I agree... does that mean wearing C&C during game day is wrong because we are not a part of the team?

pphilfran
4/13/2011, 04:08 PM
How bout OU underwear? Boxer or brief?

2121Sooner
4/13/2011, 04:10 PM
Grown men should not wear jerseys, crocs, or paint their face.

Women look super hot in a football jersey though. That is allowed.

OutlandTrophy
4/13/2011, 04:11 PM
Grown men should not wear jerseys, crocs, jorts or paint their face.

Women look super hot in a football jersey though. That is allowed.

this

Midtowner
4/13/2011, 04:14 PM
No Jerseys, no jorts, no crocs, no facepaint. If you're seven, all of that is fine. If you are a grown man, dress like one.

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:17 PM
No Jerseys, no jorts, no crocs, no facepaint. If you're seven, all of that is fine. If you are a grown man, dress like one.

What do you wear to the games? I'm with you on the jorts/crocs/facepaint, but a jersey is alright. Hell, I'd rather see a guy in a jersey than a guy in his starched, long-sleeved Cutter & Buck button-down with a fag sweater and creased slacks.

Bet I hit it pretty close, huh?

KantoSooner
4/13/2011, 04:19 PM
How about a pair of old jeans, lousy top siders, a hawaiian shirt, a two day growth of beard, wrap around $500 sun glasses and a 35 year old sooner ball cap?

That's pretty much my uni if I'm not meeting customers, so I'm reeeeeeaaaaaallllly hoping it passes muster.

olevetonahill
4/13/2011, 04:19 PM
If yer a Grown man WEAR whatever the **** you want. If yer a Kid you wear what Mom an Dad get you.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
4/13/2011, 04:21 PM
How about a pair of old jeans, lousy top siders, a hawaiian shirt, a two day growth of beard, wrap around $500 sun glasses and a 35 year old sooner ball cap?

That's pretty much my uni if I'm not meeting customers, so I'm reeeeeeaaaaaallllly hoping it passes muster.

But are you a growed man? if so it werks fer me ;)

3rdgensooner
4/13/2011, 04:22 PM
This thread makes me think of nattering hens.

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:23 PM
Nattering ain't even a word. Sheez woman.

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2011, 04:23 PM
Fans are that are "above" wearing a jersey to a game are generally the same fans that are above standing during the game and actually, you know, cheering and stuff.

SoCaliSooner
4/13/2011, 04:24 PM
I don't know which is worse...the fat bloated dudes in jerseys or the Bob Stoops sideline clones in dockers and road/ away polos?

sooner_born_1960
4/13/2011, 04:26 PM
You do realize that road and away are the same thing, right?

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:26 PM
Fans are that are "above" wearing a jersey to a game are generally the same fans that are above standing during the game and actually, you know, cheering and stuff.

Yeah, like Mr. Pink Shirt who sits a couple rows in front of me. He bitches, whines, complains, insults the coaches/team non-stop, but doesn't stand when the Pride comes out and always wears some starched long-sleeve shirt with creased white jeans or shorts with nary an "OU" anywhere on them.

pphilfran
4/13/2011, 04:27 PM

:pop:

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:27 PM

No. He doesn't. They ain't real sharp out there.

olevetonahill
4/13/2011, 04:30 PM
No. He doesn't. They ain't real sharp out there.

But sure like to Bad mouth those of us that Live here

3rdgensooner
4/13/2011, 04:31 PM
The guy behind me wears his red firefighter helmet at least once a season and repeatedly yells out "UNBUHLEEVABULL" throughout every game.

soonerscuba
4/13/2011, 04:31 PM
Khakis (short or pants), a polo and respectable shoes. Comfortable and the bat signal to other alumni that more than likely you are one of them and pose less of a threat to be an embarrassment to the university. Sorry, just stating truth.

Obviously, I'm not a fan of the adult male jersey.

SoCaliSooner
4/13/2011, 04:32 PM

Yes. I am heavily medicated today

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:33 PM
Khakis (short or pants), a polo and respectable shoes. Comfortable and the bat signal to other alumni that more than likely you are one of them and pose less of a threat to be an embarrassment to the university. Sorry, just stating truth.

Obviously, I'm not a fan of the adult male jersey.

Oh lord, please don't tell me by "respectable shoes" you're talking loafers with no ****ing socks. Please. And wtf is wrong with a logoed t-shirt?

SoCaliSooner
4/13/2011, 04:33 PM
The guy behind me wears his red firefighter helmet at least once a season and repeatedly yells out "UNBUHLEEVABULL" throughout every game.

That was only once... and I was looking at your hoots...

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:34 PM
She said "behind me." 3rdgen has back hooters?

Mississippi Sooner
4/13/2011, 04:35 PM

Now, that's hawt. :hot:

olevetonahill
4/13/2011, 04:44 PM

werks pretty good when yer slow dancin :hot:

3rdgensooner
4/13/2011, 06:18 PM
That was only once... and I was looking at your hoots...

Yes, I'm kinda hideous. SoCal just happens to be partial to hideous.

2121Sooner
4/13/2011, 06:21 PM
Yes, I'm kinda hideous. SoCal just happens to be partial to hideous.

And by hideous, she means huge foreheads

Turd_Ferguson
4/13/2011, 06:26 PM
I see this flying dickwad at the Byron Nelson a few years ago that was wearing his golf shoe's...being the dick that I am, I ask him why...he say's cause there comfortable...yeah sure...dickwad.

SpankyNek
4/13/2011, 06:34 PM
For some reason, I think baseball jerseys are largely OK, but I wouldn't wear a basketball or football jersey...I think it has to do with fit.

Some of the old OU doubleknit baseball jerseys were pretty badass.

Mostly I wear a short sleeved button up or a logo tee, though.

47straight
4/13/2011, 07:05 PM
If I wear a crimson football jersey to an OU game, at least I'm wearing crimson, which puts me ahead of 50% of the "respectably dressed" crowd.

SoCaliSooner
4/13/2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, like Mr. Pink Shirt who sits a couple rows in front of me. He bitches, whines, complains, insults the coaches/team non-stop, but doesn't stand when the Pride comes out and always wears some starched long-sleeve shirt with creased white jeans or shorts with nary an "OU" anywhere on them.

Do you inform this guy that if he ever posts on this board that he has a ban coming?

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2011, 07:21 PM
I don't know which is worse...the fat bloated dudes in jerseys or the Bob Stoops sideline clones in dockers and road/ away polos?

or C) the judgemental *********s that look down their noses at the rest of the world

texaspokieokie
4/14/2011, 09:29 AM

you should shave & get a new cap.

i will wear whatever i please.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/14/2011, 12:33 PM
I don't understand the hate for jerseys. That being said, the only ones I ever wear are hockey jerseys, but you have to realize that you are a fan and not playing the game. It annoys me more when people yell at the players telling they suck or yelling at other fans and making dumb comments they think is funny. To me, that is way more annoying. Also, facepainting is ridiculous. That is seriously the dumbest thing ever and lastly, if you wear a jersey, DON'T TUCK IT IN!!!

Soonerfan88
4/14/2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry, guess I'm just not cool enough to hang here. I own & occasionally wear an OU jersey, have 4 pair of crocs - 1 w/OU logo, and several pair of denim shorts - not cutoffs, but shorts made of denim.

And the writer of that column is an ***.

Soonerwake
4/14/2011, 12:43 PM
So, I can't wear a jersey, polo, tshirt, or pressed button-down. Running out of options fellas... :D

How about IDGAS what people wear to games?? I like that option.

And, as far as the article is concerned, I don't care if the guy was wearing a Giants string bikini with matching 5 inch heels. He sure as hell didn't deserve a beatdown from a couple of complete buttholes who I hope will experience a lifetime of butt-rapings in prison. :mad:

StoopTroup
4/14/2011, 12:47 PM
never leave the house unprepared and never go to an opponents venue alone

NormanPride
4/14/2011, 01:12 PM
It's hot. Jerseys breathe. Deal with it.

SoCaliSooner
4/14/2011, 01:30 PM
It's hot. Jerseys breathe. Deal with it.

The trade off for not being in Oklahoma is that we watch the games outside and in the pool until late October. So....boardshorts and sandals are my game day attire...

soonerscuba
4/14/2011, 01:43 PM
Sorry, guess I'm just not cool enough to hang here. I own & occasionally wear an OU jersey, have 4 pair of crocs - 1 w/OU logo, and several pair of denim shorts - not cutoffs, but shorts made of denim.

And the writer of that column is an ***.When I think of fan bases I want to relate to, I think Florida and LSU.

Leroy Lizard
4/14/2011, 02:11 PM
Besides the mindless violence, I have another issue with this story. It says that ONE man was jumped on by TWO men.

No!

When someone does something out of sorts (and wearing a jersey is hardly one of them), then ONE person is obligated to do something about it.

Not TWO men.

ONE man.

badger
4/14/2011, 02:15 PM
It annoys me more when people yell at the players telling they suck or yelling at other fans and making dumb comments they think is funny. To me, that is way more annoying.

You didn't think I was funny? :(:(:(

;) nawww, I've never really insulted any OU player (cept a certain QB in 05 after a certain kicked-off-the-team incident, grrrrrr)

While our fanbase is filled with aspiring Stoopses and arseholes that like to bully fellow fans, I've heard far worse stories about other places... mostly A&M, yes :rcmad:

Tulsa_Fireman
4/14/2011, 02:21 PM
That's all well and good, but have you ever sat behind me in a 40-something year old fat guy costume and bragged and bragged to your kid and everyone else that would listen about how they're screwing up playcalling and coaching technique but in all actuality you couldn't be more wrong about everything you're saying?

Well, Badj?

Midtowner
4/14/2011, 02:26 PM

And the writer of that column is an ***.

Jean shorts = jorts.

Wear whatever you want, but like it or not, folks are going to judge you. You can think they're ***holes, but you're going to be judged nonetheless. The old high school pressure to conform never really goes away. Would you hire a doctor or lawyer who dresses like you?

NormanPride
4/14/2011, 02:29 PM
WTF, dressing like that at a football game in hot-*** ****ing September is not the same as showing up in crocs and cutoffs to a board meeting. Are you seriously so pretentious that you look at other people at Owen Field and say "Ugh, I would NOT wear that in public."

soonerscuba
4/14/2011, 02:37 PM
Are you seriously so pretentious that you look at other people at Owen Field and say "Ugh, I would NOT wear that in public."Pretty much. It's a university, not a NASCAR smash-em-up.

sooner ngintunr
4/14/2011, 02:42 PM
The old high school pressure to conform never really goes away.

And thats why High School sucks ballz and being a confident grown *** man is much better.

When I go to OU games I wear a Crimson OU tee, shorts (not jorts) and tennis shoes.

It's just a football game, wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

3rdgensooner
4/14/2011, 02:46 PM
WTF, dressing like that at a football game in hot-*** ****ing September I call those the "surface of the sun" games.

NormanPride
4/14/2011, 02:53 PM
Pretty much. It's a university, not a NASCAR smash-em-up.
It's a football game, not a dissertation on 16th century European artistic techniques. Besides, the vast majority of people that comprise the university dress like slobs day in and day out.

2121Sooner
4/14/2011, 02:56 PM
WTF, dressing like that at a football game in hot-*** ****ing September is not the same as showing up in crocs and cutoffs to a board meeting. Are you seriously so pretentious that you look at other people at Owen Field and say "Ugh, I would NOT wear that in public."

Do your dress socks match your jorts or your crocs?

This is important, so answer carefully

NormanPride
4/14/2011, 02:59 PM
Impostor Stoops Visor complete with sweat stains
JLEW Aviator sunglasses
#7 Jersey leftover from 2005
Jorts
Faded navy blue dress socks
Red crocs

All day erry day.

2121Sooner
4/14/2011, 03:03 PM
Impostor Stoops Visor complete with sweat stains
JLEW Aviator sunglasses
#7 Jersey leftover from 2005
Jorts
Faded navy blue dress socks
Red crocs

All day erry day.

BOOMER!!!!

Soonerfan88
4/14/2011, 03:18 PM
Jean shorts = jorts.

Wear whatever you want, but like it or not, folks are going to judge you. You can think they're ***holes, but you're going to be judged nonetheless. The old high school pressure to conform never really goes away. Would you hire a doctor or lawyer who dresses like you?

Yes, I would hire a doctor or lawyer who dressed like that, especially at a football game. A courtroom or operating room are different than leisure activities or even just running in to the office a couple of hours before taking some time off. And I understand being judged. It will happen no matter what I wear and I'm mature enough to not let it bother me.

Also, the writer isn't an *** because he made fun of an adult wearing a jersey. He basically said the guy was to blame for what happened to him because of what he was wearing. Usually that defense is used for rapists but guess it's good for assault & battery now too.

diverdog
4/14/2011, 03:33 PM
Yes, I would hire a doctor or lawyer who dressed like that, especially at a football game. A courtroom or operating room are different than leisure activities or even just running in to the office a couple of hours before taking some time off. And I understand being judged. It will happen no matter what I wear and I'm mature enough to not let it bother me.

Also, the writer isn't an *** because he made fun of an adult wearing a jersey. He basically said the guy was to blame for what happened to him because of what he was wearing. Usually that defense is used for rapists but guess it's good for assault & battery now too.

Funny thing that Crocs are favored in the medical profession and cooking profession. I use to wear Crocs to my catering job because when I got done at the end of the day I could throw them in the dishwasher and clean them.

:O

2121Sooner
4/14/2011, 04:46 PM
The key is that docs and chefs wear them at work

nativesooner
4/14/2011, 05:00 PM
I think some folks wear jerseys to support certain players? A few years back I was given a jersey by a players dad. I wore it some and didn't give a shhhh what folks thought about me wearing it. No one ever said anything, but they probably took in to account that we weren't at a fashion show. Now I don't have quite the physique to pull one off but more power to those that can. As far as crocs and jorts, never tried those. :D

SoonerBorn68
4/15/2011, 08:46 AM
Jean shorts = jorts.

They can judge me, then kiss my ***.

Spring
4/15/2011, 08:56 AM
This thread makes me think of nattering hens.

nattering naybobs of negativity?

sooner_born_1960
4/15/2011, 09:12 AM
The term "pretentious dicks" comes to mind.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 09:16 AM

Yup.

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 09:23 AM
Ok, the writer, like LeRoy normally does, has a point.

And also like LeRoy, its not a popular one.

But this is America. You can wear what you want, where you want (within the law).

Im not saying Mr Snow was wrong to do so, but it wasnt a good decision.
I wear my OU gear to Dallas every year. Which as we all know isnt as dangerous because of course, there are a lot of OU fans down there. But I have always been prepared to the best of my knowledge to handle altercations and have done so on more than one occasion. You have to understand that people have the capacity to make really bad decisions. This also another reason alcohol is a bad idea at mass sporting events. I know im young, 19, but that dosnt mean i dont understand alcohol and its use. It alters peoples personality and decision making skills and when involved in an emotional(and financial) investment as a sports event, it just shouldnt mix.

sooner ngintunr
4/15/2011, 09:46 AM

Thats right.

soonerscuba
4/15/2011, 09:57 AM
Celebrating jorts is for non-alumni. Boom, roasted.

ByrnHoustonsSweatyPalms
4/15/2011, 10:12 AM
To each his own!

CowboyMRW
4/15/2011, 10:35 AM
Lincecum the starting pitcher for the Giants gave 25K yesterday and the Dodgers have raised over 70K themselves to help pay for his medical bills

SoCaliSooner
4/15/2011, 10:38 AM
Lincecum the starting pitcher for the Giants gave 25K yesterday and the Dodgers have raised over 70K themselves to help pay for his medical bills

That guy works for the same 911 ambulance provider that I did when I was in college.

OutlandTrophy
4/15/2011, 10:39 AM
you guys ever been to an Ole Miss game in Oxford?

rekamrettuB
4/15/2011, 11:32 AM
Check out number 7!!!

http://yahoo.match.com/y/article.aspx?articleid=12201&TrackingID=526103&BannerID=709242

Fashion Statement #7: Sports jerseys

“Football jerseys are adorable on game day. But the basketball jerseys with white undershirts need to go. They remind me of my high school’s JV team.”
– Lauren

“If I met someone wearing a jersey, I’d immediately assume he’s a guy’s guy. He likes cars, dogs, and sports. That’s attractive. But, if he showed up for a date wearing one, I’d make him wait while I slipped into my sweats and flip-flops.”
– Caitlin

“Basketball jerseys are the worst. Nobody wants to see your armpit hair.”
– Jane

“If there’s a game on, a jersey is not just acceptable but encouraged. Otherwise, there really isn’t a good time to bring it out of retirement.”
– Maria

The jury says: NOT GUILTY! Rest easy, pal. You can hang on to that prized Drew Brees jersey. Just be sure to wear it on game day, and bench it during the off-season. And save the hoops gear for, well, the basketball court

yermom
4/15/2011, 11:48 AM
is the writer complaining about jerseys or wearing opposing team gear?

it's pretty retarded either way.

if you are going to dress incognito at an away game, you might be a *****.

Midtowner
4/15/2011, 12:22 PM
And thats why High School sucks ballz and being a confident grown *** man is much better.

When I go to OU games I wear a Crimson OU tee, shorts (not jorts) and tennis shoes.

It's just a football game, wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

No, you dress a certain way in HS to conform (or not to). As an adult, you dress a certain way as to maintain a somewhat professional demeanor. You may not be a professional person or you may be more apt to wear Wranglers, a straw hat and boots. What you wear communicates something about you. If you want to dress up in a jersey worn by some 19 year old kid, that's your business, but I'll judge you for it.

sooner ngintunr
4/15/2011, 12:40 PM
No, you dress a certain way in HS to conform (or not to). As an adult, you dress a certain way as to maintain a somewhat professional demeanor. You may not be a professional person or you may be more apt to wear Wranglers, a straw hat and boots. What you wear communicates something about you. If you want to dress up in a jersey worn by some 19 year old kid, that's your business, but I'll judge you for it.

Yeah, We probably wouldn't get along that well. :cool:

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 01:22 PM

And you'd be a faggily dressed pretentious dick.

Glad we settled that.

IB4OU2
4/15/2011, 01:28 PM

Glad we settled that.

good, I'll wear my Big Smiths without a shirt.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 01:31 PM
good, I'll wear my Big Smiths without a shirt.

Dude, that would be so effing :hot:

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 01:38 PM
Dude, that would be so effing :hot:

i felt your personality on this one.

Oldnslo
4/15/2011, 02:10 PM
Here's my problem: I never wear out clothes. Never. I've still got jerseys from WAY back. The OU jersey that fits best... has stripes on the sleeves. Sorry. I don't wear it much, so it truly never ever will wear out.

And these days, when I go to buy an OU shirt, I kind of gravitate to the coach's shirts. It's not like I expect Bob to look up in the stands and ask me what our alignment should be, but I also wouldn't expect him to let me take the field just because I'm in a jersey.

I wear my Saints jersey (8, for the Manning that SHOULD be in the HOF) and my Mets jersey (17, Keeeeeeeeith) in their respective seasons. So there.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 02:13 PM
Here's my problem: I never wear out clothes. Never. I've still got jerseys from WAY back. The OU jersey that fits best... has stripes on the sleeves. Sorry. I don't wear it much, so it truly never ever will wear out.

And these days, when I go to buy an OU shirt, I kind of gravitate to the coach's shirts. It's not like I expect Bob to look up in the stands and ask me what our alignment should be, but I also wouldn't expect him to let me take the field just because I'm in a jersey.

I wear my Saints jersey (8, for the Manning that SHOULD be in the HOF) and my Mets jersey (17, Keeeeeeeeith) in their respective seasons. So there.

And...you're a lawyer.

3rdgensooner
4/15/2011, 02:14 PM
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3909/hen20party20napkin2021.jpg

sooner_born_1960
4/15/2011, 02:15 PM

Midtowner will judge you.

ByrnHoustonsSweatyPalms
4/15/2011, 02:18 PM
I wear an OSU jersey. Does that make me a bad person?;)

jkjsooner
4/15/2011, 02:21 PM
First he seems to imply that the guy asked to get beaten half to death because he wore a jersey. Then he implies that the person wearing the jersey somehow thinks he's "part of the team" when there's no indication that this guy thought of himself as anything but a fan.

He fails to mention that wearing a t-shirt with the logo of the Giants could have easily resulted in the same outcome so the whole anti-jersey rant is misplaced.

jk the sooner fan
4/15/2011, 02:24 PM
going to a game is all about having fun for me - not putting on airs or being a pretentious dick....i could give a flip what the other 84,000 people are wearing and can't for the life of me figure out why other grown ups would care whether i was wearing a polo or jersey or tshirt

i know there just has to be an official book released by the university on "how to be a real fan" - would somebody point that out to me so I can read up on it?

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 02:24 PM
I wear an OSU jersey. Does that make me a bad person?;)

Bad? no.

Retarded? yes.

rekamrettuB
4/15/2011, 02:45 PM

Glad we settled that.

That'll be $100K.

Spring
4/15/2011, 02:47 PM
I wear my LFC jersey with a nice pair of khakis.

tator
4/15/2011, 03:00 PM
Ok, the writer, like LeRoy normally does, has a point.

And also like LeRoy, its not a popular one.

But this is America. You can wear what you want, where you want (within the law).

Im not saying Mr Snow was wrong to do so, but it wasnt a good decision.
I wear my OU gear to Dallas every year. Which as we all know isnt as dangerous because of course, there are a lot of OU fans down there. But I have always been prepared to the best of my knowledge to handle altercations and have done so on more than one occasion. You have to understand that people have the capacity to make really bad decisions. This also another reason alcohol is a bad idea at mass sporting events. I know im young, 19, but that dosnt mean i dont understand alcohol and its use. It alters peoples personality and decision making skills and when involved in an emotional(and financial) investment as a sports event, it just shouldnt mix.
I call bull****. In hindsight, obviously it wasn't. But if you go to a game your team is playing in, you wear the team colors. It's the way it is.

Maybe if he was going to a KKK meeting, and wore a Black Panther tshirt, I would agree that it's a bad decision. But this is a common sports event and its boring *** baseball. Why anyone should expect to be physically assaulted at a baseball game, unless they bring it on with their behaviour, I don't know.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/15/2011, 03:02 PM

So your schtick on here is not an act. You really are a complete dooshbag.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/15/2011, 03:04 PM
I wear my LFC jersey with a nice pair of khakis.

I didn't know the Ladies Fashion Club has jerseys:)

DIB
4/15/2011, 03:26 PM
I'm starting to understand better what is acceptable on this board.

Insulting Oklahomans = bannable offense
Hate speech towards homosexuals = standard practice

And as for this conversation, some of you may not care how the rest of the country perceives the state and University of Oklahoma, but those of us that have to do business outside of the state do. I only care what other people wear in so far as it directly affects me. If 85k OU fans are dressed like hillbillies, then that affects the perception of OU and Oklahoma in general. That does affect me.

diverdog
4/15/2011, 03:29 PM
I call bull****. In hindsight, obviously it wasn't. But if you go to a game your team is playing in, you wear the team colors. It's the way it is.

Maybe if he was going to a KKK meeting, and wore a Black Panther tshirt, I would agree that it's a bad decision. But this is a common sports event and its boring *** baseball. Why anyone should expect to be physically assaulted at a baseball game, unless they bring it on with their behaviour, I don't know.

That is the point that seems to be missed. I am sick and tired of all the bad fan behavior and it needs to stop. When Philadelphia built the Lincoln Center it had to put in a jail and a court to try rowdy fans. To an extent sports encourages this behavior and I wish someone would put a lid on it. You should be able to walk into any stadium with any jersey/shirt you wish to wear and not have to fear for your life.

I think OU is an very good example of fans behaving with respect towards each other. I have been to many games where I saw OU fans helping opposing team fans with directions or even inviting them into their tailgate parties.

soonerscuba
4/15/2011, 03:34 PM
And as for this conversation, some of you may not care how the rest of the country perceives the state and University of Oklahoma, but those of us that have to do business outside of the state do. I only care what other people wear in so far as it directly affects me. If 85k OU fans are dressed like hillbillies, then that affects the perception of OU and Oklahoma in general. That does affect me.This. A lot of people are associated with OU on a professional level. It isn't about personal preferences, it's about the perceived value of a degree from a university, and the hillbilly crowd doesn't help. Like it or not, I bet a lot of Florida alumni feel the same way about the jorts crowd there, too.

I'm a live and let live type, and would never say anything to a stranger for a jorts/jersey combo, but in my own perfect world it wouldn't exist at Owen Field.

SoCaliSooner
4/15/2011, 03:36 PM

And as for this conversation, some of you may not care how the rest of the country perceives the state and University of Oklahoma, but those of us that have to do business outside of the state do. I only care what other people wear in so far as it directly affects me. If 85k OU fans are dressed like hillbillies, then that affects the perception of OU and Oklahoma in general. That does affect me.

I can't tell you how many times I 've come to work and some picture is on my locker from some game that one of my buddies at work did a screen cap and printed. I have had the fat band chick crying, other crying Sooner fans, one picture of some giant fat dude in OU garb in short shorts and cowboy boots, some toothless mulleted Indian/Hispanic . Billy Sims hawking his heisman stuff on Ebay. You name it, it's been on my locker with stuff like "your people" or "boomer!".

Midtowner
4/15/2011, 03:37 PM

Glad we settled that.

http://hamptons.guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/jort-man.jpg

A typical jorts wearer.

http://spring343.pbworks.com/w/page/26001690/f/Nascar_Redneck.sized.jpg

Typical jersey wearer.

oudavid1
4/15/2011, 03:38 PM

In the case of going to a Dodgers game in a city where crime is rampant and people are naturally unfriendly, it makes sense. Hindsight is also all i have to go on. I took the OU stuff off my parked car in Dallas during OU texas. A friend of mines dad got keyed and probably due to the fact he had OU car flags.

My Opinion Matters
4/15/2011, 03:44 PM
Wow. I never suspected our fanbase had so many self-loathing fans. IT'S A FOOTBALL GAME. Get the **** over yourselves.

If you're too ashamed to admit you got your degree from OU, tell people you went to that school in Austin.

3rdgensooner
4/15/2011, 03:49 PM
This. A lot of people are associated with OU on a professional level. It isn't about personal preferences, it's about the perceived value of a degree from a university, and the hillbilly crowd doesn't help. Like it or not, I bet a lot of Florida alumni feel the same way about the jorts crowd there, too.

I'm a live and let live type, and would never say anything to a stranger for a jorts/jersey combo, but in my own perfect world it wouldn't exist at Owen Field.That pretty much sums up my feeling on the topic.

My pops (2ndgensooner) and my late mom used to wear some goofy stuff sometimes but they'd earned the right to--like most of the old timers with their polyester red pants.

However, one of the reasons I have never been interested in joining the SEC is I'd rather not increase the hillbilly influence.

Wear whatever you want--just cheer your a$$ off or stay home. Well, you can still come, but you'll disappoint me. And that's just wrong.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 03:52 PM

Please, spare us the hokey "hate speech" horse****, mmkay punkin?

I'm beginning to understand why everybody hates/hated OUI.

3rdgensooner
4/15/2011, 03:57 PM
What if a person insults homosexual Oklahomans?

*I first typed "insluts". I thought that should be noted.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 03:58 PM
That pretty much sums up my feeling on the topic.

My pops (2ndgensooner) and my late mom used to wear some goofy stuff sometimes but they'd earned the right to--like most of the old timers with their polyester red pants.

However, one of the reasons I have never been interested in joining the SEC is I'd rather not increase the hillbilly influence.

Wear whatever you want--just cheer your a$$ off or stay home. Well, you can still come, but you'll disappoint me. And that's just wrong.

I guess you and scuba and a few others sit in the hillbilly sections of the stadium because a) wearing a Sooner jersey is NOT hillbilly, and b)you'd have to search far and wide to find anything close to a Tennessee/Florida crowd at our games. How many overalls you see in the crowd? How many hayseed straw hats? How many toothless, jort wearing rednecks do you really see at our games?

Maybe I'm not quite as sensitive to our "national hillbilly disgraceful image" as some of y'all. Maybe it's because I've learned that the guy who shows up in bibs and a bad shave is normally a really great person, and the guy who shows up in starched britches, button down shirt, and $800 boots is a POS. Or maybe it's because I'm proud to be a ****ing hillbilly.

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 04:00 PM
What if a person insults homosexual Oklahomans?

*I first typed "insluts". I thought that should be noted.

Noted. Heh.

If they do, and said homosexual is a friend of mine then that **** ain't happening.

IB4OU2
4/15/2011, 04:43 PM
I guess you and scuba and a few others sit in the hillbilly sections of the stadium because a) wearing a Sooner jersey is NOT hillbilly, and b)you'd have to search far and wide to find anything close to a Tennessee/Florida crowd at our games. How many overalls you see in the crowd? How many hayseed straw hats? How many toothless, jort wearing rednecks do you really see at our games?

Maybe I'm not quite as sensitive to our "national hillbilly disgraceful image" as some of y'all. Maybe it's because I've learned that the guy who shows up in bibs and a bad shave is normally a really great person, and the guy who shows up in starched britches, button down shirt, and $800 boots is a POS. Or maybe it's because I'm proud to be a ****ing hillbilly.

Why can't I spek Dean?

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 04:53 PM
Why can't I spek Dean?

You'll have to axe Phil.

jk the sooner fan
4/15/2011, 05:28 PM
newsflash - Oklahoma IS a rural state - its not the big city lights of NYC or Los Angeles - if you're trying to impress your business friends while they're here in Oklahoma - probably shouldnt take them to a football game....in fact, if you're trying to "clean up" our image - you've got a whole bunch of other places to work on before you ever get to the stadium on game day

and if your friends at work are giving you a hard time about your the college team you cheer for - go ahead and jump on the same bandwagon they're on - i'm certain they'll still f**k with you in some other manner

fans look the same whether they're in Norman or say....Los Angeles

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0096/2673/4030809133809_ohio_st_v_usc_crop_340x234.jpg

http://www.youthnoise.com/uservideo/new/1317.jpg

Midtowner
4/15/2011, 05:46 PM
This isn't California. Holding a bunch of USC guidos out as an example we should all follow is akin to holding out the cast of Jersey Shore as being at the forefront of fashion.

SoCaliSooner
4/15/2011, 05:53 PM
Awesome. The USC/laker/raider/dodger fan hispanics are usually the only clowns in jerseys. You want to lump yourself in with them...have at it.

yermom
4/15/2011, 06:41 PM
is it possible to get excommunicated as a fan?

Jacie
4/15/2011, 06:53 PM
Who would have thought that a thread about gameday attire would bring out this much passion?

Now me, I think we should scrap the BCS in favor of a playoff and the Earth is older than 6000 years . . .

rekamrettuB
4/15/2011, 07:16 PM
Is a baseball uniform too much? Not just the top but rocking the pants and spikes too. Don't forget the stirrups.

sooner ngintunr
4/15/2011, 07:34 PM
Is a baseball uniform too much? Not just the top but rocking the pants and spikes too. Don't forget the stirrups.

As long as you rock the cup and jock strap you're legit. Otherwise you'd just be a poser.

OU_Sooners75
4/15/2011, 08:17 PM
I will wear whatever the hell I want when I want, as long as I am comfortable. I am not going to a sporting event to impress anyone...nope, I am there to cheer on my favorite team!

If someone wants to judge me by what I am wearing...then so be it, like I give a ****!

OU_Sooners75
4/15/2011, 08:22 PM
is it possible to get excommunicated as a fan?

Great question!

C&CDean
4/15/2011, 10:53 PM
This isn't California. Holding a bunch of USC guidos out as an example we should all follow is akin to holding out the cast of Jersey Shore as being at the forefront of fashion.

What? The more you type, the more I realize what a dumbass you are. Keep it up. Geez. "Guidos?"

JohnnyMack
4/15/2011, 10:56 PM
My Crocs are hot. **** all y'all.

jk the sooner fan
4/15/2011, 11:07 PM

way to miss the point genius

olevetonahill
4/15/2011, 11:18 PM
way to miss the point genius

And JK and I see
http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a04/gp/ko/psychology-eye-contact-1.1-800X800.jpg TO http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a04/gp/ko/psychology-eye-contact-1.1-800X800.jpg

Dio
4/16/2011, 08:20 PM
I'll tell you what- when midtowner or Cuba start buying my season tickets for me, you can tell me what to wear. Until then you can both **** right the hell off.

hawaii 5-0
4/16/2011, 08:40 PM
I wear my crocs for yardwork and if it's raining hard outside, which it does often in Hawaii. I just carry my regular shoes (slippahs) in a plastic bag to change into when I'm outta da rain.

People down on crocs have a problem with their self confidence as a man.

5-0

Trump/Newt 2012

soonerscuba
4/17/2011, 10:31 AM
I'll tell you what- when midtowner or Cuba start buying my season tickets for me, you can tell me what to wear. Until then you can both **** right the hell off.Your jorts are a matter of pride, then?

jk the sooner fan
4/17/2011, 11:25 AM
if your'e paying that much attention to what people wear at the game, my question is are you even watching the game?

sure i notice people sitting around me but i forget about them as i walk out and head home - some of you need healthier stuff to bitch about

Dio
4/17/2011, 02:59 PM
Your jorts are a matter of pride, then?

Not as much as your Che shirt, obviously