PDA

View Full Version : car suggestions

Position Limit
4/13/2011, 01:58 PM
now that taxes are fixin to be sent out, i'm in the mood to write another check. My merc s500 is finally nearing the 100k mark and frankly after 7 years and a child on the way, i'm ready to move on. i see no sedan on the market that even remotely interest me, and i'm embarrassed at what mercedes has become. I'm thinking of a smaller suv. along the lines of the bmw x3 or something comparable. if anybody has experience or suggestions on these autos, advice would be welcome.

mgsooner
4/13/2011, 02:04 PM
Kia Rio

Al Gore
4/13/2011, 02:15 PM
Used Infiniti G35. I own 3 of them and love them. I have owned Mercedes, BMW, Honda and American made and I would rather own the G35. I have a family member that loves their Lexus but the price is higher than the G35.

StoopTroup
4/13/2011, 02:17 PM
Stay away from anything that might have a bunch of radioactive parts in it

Position Limit
4/13/2011, 02:28 PM
Used Infiniti G35. I own 3 of them and love them. I have owned Mercedes, BMW, Honda and American made and I would rather own the G35. I have a family member that loves their Lexus but the price is higher than the G35.

i'm sure it's a nice car, but i'm in the mood for a small suv. i have a child on the way.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/13/2011, 02:29 PM
we have the acura mdx..very nice

yermom
4/13/2011, 02:30 PM
i guess i've never understood the reasoning there

car seats don't fit in sedans?

the STi Wagon is a nice family car though ;)

Position Limit
4/13/2011, 02:34 PM
i guess i've never understood the reasoning there

car seats don't fit in sedans?

yes scoop, car seats fit in sedans. but as i wrote in my original post, there's no sedan out there that really interest me. and while a sporty little sedan would fit a car seat, it would not be the same as a small suv that i can throw 2 dogs in that back, a child in a seat, and a wife or whoever in gun. but thanks for the help.

StoopTroup
4/13/2011, 02:37 PM
yes scoop, car seats fit in sedans. but as i wrote in my original post, there's no sedan out there that really interest me. and while a sporty little sedan would fit a car seat, it would not be the same as a small suv that i can throw 2 dogs in that back, a child in a seat, and a wife or whoever in gun. but thanks for the help.

You need an Obama Hybrid Mini-van

http://highbridnation.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fail-owned-limo-fail2.jpg

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 02:39 PM

"scoop?"

You sound kind of ignurnt, so go ahead and buy the BMW. They're great vehicles. Never let you down. Cheap to own and drive too. They scream "you."

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2011, 02:41 PM
The problem with small SUV's is they're universally faggy looking. Jeep Compass? Jeep Patriot? Jeep Liberty? Come on, those ain't Jeeps.

Position Limit
4/13/2011, 02:42 PM
"scoop?"

You sound kind of ignurnt, so go ahead and buy the BMW. They're great vehicles. Never let you down. Cheap to own and drive too. They scream "you."

i suprised you didnt offer up a tractor with a set of truck nuts.

Position Limit
4/13/2011, 02:43 PM
we have the acura mdx..very nice

they have my attention. can you tell me more?

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 03:01 PM

Yes. They weren't built on the other side of "that" pond (you know, the place where Saabs, BMWs, Audis, Vulvas, Shaguars, Fiats, etc. were made?). Therefore, they're pretty damn fine vehicles.

Also, do not disregard the second post in this thread. Both the Kia and the Hyundai SUVs are damn fine vehicles. Check them out. Of course if you need a "status" SUV I wouldn't buy one, but if you need a nice looking, well built, very reliable/economical/safe vehicle you should really check them out. Hell of a warranty too.

Position Limit
4/13/2011, 03:09 PM
Yes. They weren't built on the other side of "that" pond (you know, the place where Saabs, BMWs, Audis, Vulvas, Shaguars, Fiats, etc. were made?). Therefore, they're pretty damn fine vehicles.

Also, do not disregard the second post in this thread. Both the Kia and the Hyundai SUVs are damn fine vehicles. Check them out. Of course if you need a "status" SUV I wouldn't buy one, but if you need a nice looking, well built, very reliable/economical/safe vehicle you should really check them out. Hell of a warranty too.

saab once upon a time was a great vehicle. i'm not looking for status, i just recently test drove the bmw and liked it alot. problem is, everybody drives them. I have an old friend from nyc that's a car nut and pushes the acura MDX. he's extremely bullish. perhaps a test drive is in order. any idea on what maintenance is?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/13/2011, 03:13 PM

I'm on my 2nd...Like I've posted in other threads, after watching my wife and kids walk away from a serious accident in one, it would be tough for me to switch..

Comfort is there...I'm getting about 16/17 in town and about 23/24 on the hway..300 hp v6 will get up and go...on ice and snow, did great..its a pretty heavy vehicle for a smaller suv

A lot of fun to drive...

I've been driving them since 2004 and the only work i've had done is new tires, brakes, and wiper blades..Haven't had any problems

pphilfran
4/13/2011, 03:14 PM
saab once upon a time was a great vehicle. i'm not looking for status, i just recently test drove the bmw and liked it alot. problem is, everybody drives them. I have an old friend from nyc that's a car nut and pushes the acura MDX. he's extremely bullish. perhaps a test drive is in order. any idea on what maintenance is?

It is a Honda...should be reliable...

virginiasooner
4/13/2011, 03:34 PM
We bought a Ford Fusion Hybrid this past October (red of course), but with a kid on the way, $30,000 ($33,000 with navigation package) may be a bit steep for you right now. But on the other hand, with the country flirting at $4 a gallon for gas, 33+ mpg is nothing to sneeze at.

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 03:41 PM
We bought a Ford Fusion Hybrid this past October (red of course), but with a kid on the way, $30,000 ($33,000 with navigation package) may be a bit steep for you right now. But on the other hand, with the country flirting at $4 a gallon for gas, 33+ mpg is nothing to sneeze at.

My wife drives a 2010 Ford Fusion (not a hybrid though cause we ain't libs and I don't need a vehicle that screams "Lib!"), and I think I paid about $23K for it. She averages 30.8 mpg (which comes out to about 35/36 on the highway). Why do you guys spend an additional $10K for a "hybrid" when the mileage is minimally better? You'd have to drive it 30 years to make up the difference in fuel costs vs. purchase costs. Those dealers get you guys with that "hybrid" tag.

Boomer.....
4/13/2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.hybridcars.com/files/imagecache/article_lead_image/files/graphics/south-park-smug-313.gif

87sooner
4/13/2011, 03:47 PM
i have an infinity qx56....
doesn't fit your "small" criteria but i'm very impressed with it...
you should look at the fx35...

soonerboomer93
4/13/2011, 04:08 PM

Hyundai owns Kia FYI

pphilfran
4/13/2011, 04:10 PM
Hyundai owns Kia FYI

Yep, a majority share...

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:21 PM
Which is why Kia has come miles in terms of quality/reliability.

StoopTroup
4/13/2011, 04:24 PM

http://www.acura.com/modellanding.aspx?model=mdx

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/SnB4ELRycQI/AAAAAAAB7uU/uY8hwkf-ifo/s800/2010-Acura-MDX-0.jpg

aksoC8s6X1c

Right off the bat....This guy^ says it COMES UP SHORT!

Pretty embarrassing STEP. :D

heh...play artist..."FLAMING LIPS!" :D

pphilfran
4/13/2011, 04:25 PM
Which is why Kia has come miles in terms of quality/reliability.

they have done a hell of a job creating a positive perception...when they first came out I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole...now, if I were looking for a vehicle in their price point, I would highly consider them...

StoopTroup
4/13/2011, 04:29 PM
$54,000 is fair for an Acura MDX :D

Better than some piece of crap Yukon for $43,000

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 04:30 PM
they have done a hell of a job creating a positive perception...when they first came out I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole...now, if I were looking for a vehicle in their price point, I would highly consider them...

I work with a black dude who drives one of the new Hyundai Genesis cars. He's got it all pimped out, and it is a very nice looking ride. I asked him about it (he traded in a big-assed BMW sedan on it) and he said "it's 3 times the car that my bimmer was. Drives better, more room, faster, and a lot cheaper too."

yermom
4/13/2011, 08:06 PM

it's not just you. i always hear people say stuff like that even years before they are planning on having kids.

then they buy a new car when they get pregnant...

OU-HSV
4/13/2011, 08:45 PM
The newer Toyota Rav 4's are nice IMO, I've driven them a few times. And they're bigger than you would think...but not like overwhelmingly big and would still be in your smaller SUV class that you have in mind. I'm sure you can get them loaded with all the bells and whistles too. Probably a lot lower priced than any BMW Suvs our there.

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 08:51 PM
The newer Toyota Rav 4's are nice IMO, I've driven them a few times. And they're bigger than you would think...but not like overwhelmingly big and would still be in your smaller SUV class that you have in mind. I'm sure you can get them loaded with all the bells and whistles too. Probably a lot lower priced than any BMW Suvs our there.

Oh now you just stop talking sensible. The top-rated SUV of ANY category for the past 10 years or so and running, but hey, it's not a bimmer. I'm not gonna look really groovy in it, so **** no.

Rav4s are as good as it gets. Buy one if you're in the market for a small SUV or just be stupid.

OU-HSV
4/13/2011, 08:59 PM
Oh now you just stop talking sensible. The top-rated SUV of ANY category for the past 10 years or so and running, but hey, it's not a bimmer. I'm not gonna look really groovy in it, so **** no.

Rav4s are as good as it gets. Buy one if you're in the market for a small SUV or just be stupid.
Hey...a guy could always get one with a sunroof and let his bleached blonde glorified mullet hair blow around to try and give him the "cool" effect, if that's what he's after anyway :D

Sooner5030
4/13/2011, 09:01 PM
what are you looking for?

utility, looks, safety, quality, economical (price, total operating costs, resale), sport, 4 doors (easier to put that safety seat in)?

I've owned a lot of vehicles but I can't compare them to each other because I purchased each one with a different set of priorities. I've owned everything from a VW passat wagon, dodge 1-ton diesel, muscle car, to a 69 short wide chevy truck, etc.

make your own list of what you want and we can offer some better....more suited for you...advice.

BajaOklahoma
4/13/2011, 09:26 PM
My husband drove an Acadia and I liked it a lot, but I just got an Enclave. It's supposed to ride a little better than the Acadia. It's nice for hauling the dogs and boat to the lake.

And I love MB. I want an SLK55 AMG as my town car.

mgsooner
4/13/2011, 09:31 PM
Back in August of last year I was looking for a mid sizish used SUV and stumbled upon a 2006 4WD 4Runner with only 32,000 miles. Pristine condition. Snatched it up ASAP and haven't looked back since. I guess it doesn't fit the "small" SUV criteria but I've gotten on average 19 MPG. Honestly the "small" SUVs aren't going to do much better than that unless you REALLY want to go small. I've been thrilled with it. Handled the snowpacalypse like a champion.

virginiasooner
4/14/2011, 09:32 AM
My wife drives a 2010 Ford Fusion (not a hybrid though cause we ain't libs and I don't need a vehicle that screams "Lib!"), and I think I paid about $23K for it. She averages 30.8 mpg (which comes out to about 35/36 on the highway). Why do you guys spend an additional $10K for a "hybrid" when the mileage is minimally better? You'd have to drive it 30 years to make up the difference in fuel costs vs. purchase costs. Those dealers get you guys with that "hybrid" tag.

Because on the highway we get 40 mpg. We can drive down to my in-laws and back (250 miles) on a half tank of gas. And if past behavior is indicative of future performance, we'll have this car for at least ten years. And it's not just the fact that we bought a hybrid. The ride is incredibly smooth, and when the electric power kicks in, completely quiet. And we did get a car from an American company (even though it was assembled in Mexico).