PDA

View Full Version : Little Brother wants to be the "Oregon of the Midwest"

SoonerPr8r
4/13/2011, 01:48 PM
Translation: We want to blind the other team becuz we aint got football skillz"
New OSU chant: Owwww my eyes (http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports/26119400-46/oregon-state-uniforms-arizona-ducks.html.csp?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

The latest fashion is always on display in the head coach’s office, ready to be mixed and matched.

Six different jerseys. Five sets of pants. Five helmets.

Countless combinations, unlimited potential, and where do I sign, Chip?

The Ducks’ flashy uniforms are old news, sure. Being radically different has been Oregon’s identity for so long, there probably isn’t a new look — neon green socks, for example — that could shock anyone.

But what’s truly surprising is this: It turns out the Ducks are fashion forward. For evidence, check out the extreme makeovers that look suspiciously like, well, Oregon.

On Monday, Washington State unveiled new uniforms with multiple helmets and combinations. Tuesday, Arizona State did the same.

Last month, I visited Stillwater, Okla., where they’re abuzz about what the Cowboys are about to do. No one’s saying, not officially. But one highly placed official says:

“We’re going to be the Oregon of the Midwest.”

We’ll have to wait awhile to know for sure, but I suspect Oklahoma State’s football team won’t be wearing the same outfit twice (in a row) again. It’ll take a math whiz to figure out the possible combinations of orange, black, white and smoke gray (which will be added to the Cowboys’ offerings).

“This will give us something, another edge,” the Oklahoma State official says — and that’s what this is all about.

Branding and marketing, sure. Arizona State officials project their merchandising revenue to double. Washington State athletic director Bill Moos — the former Oregon AD — says he wanted to create a consistent, recognizable identity for the Cougars.

It’s not lost here that all of these schools, and several others making similar changes, wear Nike. The same guys who’ve designed all the Ducks’ uniforms designed these, and they’re pretty good at building brands and making money.

But it’s about edge.

It’s about Oregon.

Washington State’s football team will have at least 27 uniform combinations available after adding an all-gray look and two different gray helmets. Apparently, gray is the new black.

Arizona State football now has an all-black uniform accented with copper. Two helmets (gold and black). Sparky the Sun Devil has been shoved to the rear (literally, on the helmets) to make room for a new logo of a “pitchfork with attitude,” as described by athletic director Lisa Love.

“Fear the fork,” she adds.

Well, we’ll see. Winning is important here. Without it, these are just wacky uniforms.

But if you think uniforms don’t matter, consider what Arizona State defensive back Omar Bolden told the Arizona Republic on Tuesday:

“I’ve always said if Oregon would’ve offered me (a scholarship), it would’ve been tough for me to turn them down, just for the uniforms.”

Thirteen years ago when the Ducks first went radical — changing the color tones, getting rid of the Duck on the helmet, adding the “O” — the overwhelming reaction was negative.

“It was terrible,” says Moos, recalling the initial feedback. And that was just the Oregon fans.

Around college football, people heckled. Those aren’t uniforms, one guy hissed, they’re costumes.

But Oregon — and soon, most of its fans — embraced unconvention. Those initial uniforms look conservative compared with later incarnations, but eventually, being unidentifiable from week to week became the Ducks’ identity.

They kept changing designs, kept adding colors and combinations, kept gaining attention.

Kept winning, too. That’s the most important facet here. But the Ducks’ makeover played a huge role in building a 21st-century football power.

And now, others want to copy the Oregon Way.

Not everybody. USC isn’t about to change its classic look. Texas won’t. Or Alabama, Michigan or Oklahoma.

Those schools won’t change, and they shouldn’t.

“They’ve got that long, 100-year tradition and legacy of championships and winning,” Moos says. “But you don’t have that with the Timberwolves or the Clippers.”

Or the Ducks. Or the Sun Devils, Cowboys or Cougars. Or so many others we shouldn’t be surprised to see joining the trend, bucking convention.

In perfect marketing-speak, Moos says Washington State’s goal, in part, was “to create the future.”

It seems Oregon already has.

E-mail [email protected]. Follow at twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder

kbsooner21
4/13/2011, 01:55 PM
Yes, exactly the edge they need to put them over the top :rolleyes:

ouwasp
4/13/2011, 02:00 PM
<sigh> :rolleyes:

About the time I think pokedom could not get any more annoying...

soonervegas
4/13/2011, 02:04 PM
nm

badger
4/13/2011, 02:09 PM
Oregon can get away with odd uni combos because they don't have regional traditional powerhouses to compete with in granola country.

Poke, on the other hand, is a lot closer to OU and UT than UO is to USC.

I know the UO unis were revolting in the title game, but I thought it was cute-beyond-cute that their unis made it look like they have little duckie feet. :D

http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Oregon-Uniform-e1292349725852.jpg

Here's hoping someing at Poke State doesn't use their brain and says "Let's have brown socks and brown shoes so they look like they're wearing cowboy boots!"

:stunned: They look like they stepped knee deep in poo... :stunned:

NormanPride
4/13/2011, 02:19 PM
That's it, pokes. Leverage more of your ****ty university to prop up your ****ty football team.

SoonerPr8r
4/13/2011, 02:20 PM
Here's hoping someing at Poke State doesn't use their brain and says "Let's have brown socks and brown shoes so they look like they're wearing cowboy boots!"

:stunned: They look like they stepped knee deep in poo... :stunned:

No I hope this does happen. The key to getting it to happen is to tell Holder that it will sell more tickets.

Soonerwake
4/13/2011, 02:28 PM
So, OSU = Clippers.. Enough said.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/13/2011, 02:49 PM
What type of football players chooses where to play based on the uniform. "I am sorry coach, Academically this school is great, your training facilities are the best, I feel great about you but I just can't handle that plain jane uniform you guys wear!

badger
4/13/2011, 02:54 PM
What type of football players chooses where to play based on the uniform. "I am sorry coach, Academically this school is great, your training facilities are the best, I feel great about you but I just can't handle that plain jane uniform you guys wear!

Teenage ones. They're still kids. If they were all smart, they'd all run to OU, but they can't all be smart, that's why they have to educated and can't just be athletes yet. STUDENT-athletes :P

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1162905/medium.jpg
The Poke uniform, especially with the logo patch on the pants, has looked kind of thrown together to me for several years now, with it getting more obvious with their dress-black uniforms or whatever they're called. Nike just didn't seem to give them as much attention to detail as they do for... um... REVENUE GENERATING programs :D

(and yes, Poke, as orange as you claim to be, your ath dept is still in the red, isn't it?)

If they really want better treatment, they should try to get in on one of the other apparel companies, like UA or adidas or hell even Puma. Nike cares less about OSU uniforms than George W Bush cares about Kanye West.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/13/2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah but even a teenager is going to choose OU or USC's plain old uniforms over Arizona St's sweet new uniforms. Oklahoma, Florida, USC, Alabama come calling, they aren't going to be thinking about the uniforms for a single second

Seamus
4/13/2011, 03:01 PM

The kind of player that puts 32" rims on a Caprice?

CowboyMRW
4/13/2011, 03:01 PM
It's pretty well known that we don't have the tradition of other blue-bloods of football so a comparison to the Clippers is ok. The Clippers have some talent but have to compete with a basketball blue blood in their own city much like us in our own state. There's always next year heh;)

Also Badg, I forget where I saw this but aren't there only like 3 athletic programs that make money every year?

badger
4/13/2011, 03:12 PM
Also Badg, I forget where I saw this but aren't there only like 3 athletic programs that make money every year?

14 last year, 25 the year before according to this. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5490686)

Yeah but even a teenager is going to choose OU or USC's plain old uniforms over Arizona St's sweet new uniforms. Oklahoma, Florida, USC, Alabama come calling, they aren't going to be thinking about the uniforms for a single second

Very true. It almost seems like they're trying to distinguish themselves from other non-traditionals rather than try to compete with traditional powerhouses.

Oregon: Duck feet!
Boise State: Smurf turf!
TCU: Froggie print!
OSU: ORRRRRRRRRRRRRANGE!

:rolleyes:

NorCal Sooner
4/13/2011, 03:35 PM
If you don't win, you end up looking pretty silly in those uniforms.

Jacie
4/13/2011, 03:50 PM
I am just glad OUr team is still going to be the "Oklahoma of the Midwest" as opposed to trying to be something else.

NorCal Sooner
4/13/2011, 03:57 PM
Would any of these teams change their uniforms to the Oregon model?

The 12 Most Valuable Teams in NCAA Football (http://www.businesspundit.com/the-12-most-valuable-teams-in-ncaa-football/)

picasso
4/13/2011, 04:34 PM
Buncha high skewell.

ouboomer1
4/13/2011, 04:38 PM
I get styles and trends change with generations, but its a good thing its a game being played on the field not a fashion contest. I think most of what Oregon does and what Arizona State and Washington State are doing with their uniforms is silly. If this is the direction of college football than lord help someone like me.

TahoeSOONER
4/13/2011, 04:46 PM
It will go good with those coBig12 south champs ring.

All hat, no cattle.

jersey sooner
4/13/2011, 05:01 PM

Auburn played Oregon in last years BCS National Championship Game. Auburn won 22-19

agoo758
4/13/2011, 05:27 PM
You cant spell "gay *** stupid pokemon cards" without "poke" :mad:

SoonerDood
4/13/2011, 05:45 PM
So now they're Oregon of the Midwest? It's going to suck for whoever has to be the Okie State of the Midwest.

badger
4/13/2011, 05:52 PM
Wazzu just got grayer:
http://www.nikeblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/New-Washington-State-Football-Uniforms.jpg

As you can see, they scribbled a "2" in for the new "Pac 12" logo... what, no tidal wave anymore with the circle? :rolleyes:

oudavid1
4/13/2011, 06:25 PM
I think what Arizona State and Washington State are doing is great for recruiting. If Oklahoma State wants to try it who cares. Atleast its not us.

King Crimson
4/13/2011, 06:39 PM
typical pokes. they can't just be what they are, they have to a version of someone else that is a winner.

A Sooner in Texas
4/13/2011, 07:10 PM
As long as they come up with a jack o'lantern combo uni, I'm cool with it.

goingoneight
4/13/2011, 07:33 PM
You'd think with all the hatred they have towards UO, they wouldn't want to be anything like them at all.

OUstud
4/13/2011, 07:48 PM
Must be allsome, having your look matter so little that you're willing to change it up every week. :rolleyes:

Mike Stoops
4/13/2011, 08:35 PM
As in all offense and no defense? I thought they already were.

Boomer38Sooner
4/13/2011, 08:42 PM
I have an inside source.... The cowboys will have flat black helmets this year. Not gonna lie, pretty jealous

Sooner_Tuf
4/13/2011, 09:17 PM
You'd think with all the hatred they have towards UO, they wouldn't want to be anything like them at all.

:stunned: Haha +1

IronSooner
4/13/2011, 09:46 PM
Since when is Oklahoma the Midwest? So many things laughable in that story...

boomerinhou
4/13/2011, 09:54 PM
Maybe they can borrow the "bass boat" sparkly helmets from Texas Tech.

:)

:stunned:

TheHumanAlphabet
4/13/2011, 10:24 PM
So, is LosuR getting rid of the going down in flames logo? :stunned:

SoonerBacker
4/13/2011, 10:34 PM
Since when is Oklahoma the Midwest? So many things laughable in that story...

Someone in Stoolwater needs to go back to elementary school!
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Midwestern_United_States

silverwheels
4/13/2011, 11:05 PM
As you can see, they scribbled a "2" in for the new "Pac 12" logo... what, no tidal wave anymore with the circle? :rolleyes:

The tidal wave is still there, just not on the uniform patches. It wasn't on them last year, either.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/13/2011, 11:57 PM
I saw the post and all I could think was, "You mean they realize that the only way they are going to "beat" OU is to intimidate some doddering old replay official into making sure every call goes their way?"

SOFSooner
4/14/2011, 12:47 AM
What other edge did oswho have to begin?

TheHumanAlphabet
4/14/2011, 03:04 AM
What other edge did oswho have to begin?

Pistol fingers in the air...

Delusional visions of winning...

Collection of sheep dung...

swardboy
4/14/2011, 05:49 AM
Oh, oh....and the waaaaaving wheat. Intimidating, man.

yukonsooner
4/14/2011, 11:43 AM
Ok, am I'm hearing they are toning the orange down and going more black? Does that mean orangepower will become blackpower and the orange peel will be the black peel? What are they going to do with all the orange crap they have in stoolwater?

Bourbon St Sooner
4/14/2011, 12:41 PM
Poor aggie. Always chasing the latest fad.

Always chasing being the operative words.

AlboSooner
4/14/2011, 12:50 PM
This shows they are starting to get it. A few years back their AD said they wanted to be like OU. Well, that didn't work out. Now they got their aspirations to an achievable level: be like UO.

badger
4/14/2011, 01:04 PM
:stunned: Where's your 50 national titles, OU?