PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh - Sun Devils mean business now

Mississippi Sooner
4/13/2011, 12:57 PM
Change your clothes, change your life: If Oregon can do it, why can't Arizona State? Tired of watching the Ducks' ever-evolving aesthetics hog all the attention during their slow rise to the top of the Pac-10, ASU unveiled its own long overdue makeover Tuesday afternoon courtesy of — who else? — Nike, which set the Sun Devils up with their own trademarked font, an ominous pitchfork logo and, in addition to a few tweaks to the Sun Devils' traditional home and away motifs, a new all-black ensemble that overthrows more than a half-century of strictly yellow/gold headgear. (See the entire set for all sports here.) Trés chic, for the moment.

he only major casualty of the redesign: The cartoon Sun Devil himself, Sparky, who was originally incarnated in the late-'40s by alum Bert Anthony, a former Disney artist who allegedly (and probably apocryphally) modeled the Devil's features after his old boss as retribution for being fired. At any rate, the same grinning cartoon Sparky has personified Arizona State athletics for more than six decades, and has lent his quirky brand of satanic mischief to ASU helmets since 1980. The live, costumed mascot itself isn't going anywhere, but on the uniforms? He's nowhere to be found.

With the rise of the official pitchfork logo, Sparky will probably be stricken from the field art, as well, depriving countless thousands of the joy of seeing him spear turkey legs and other vulnerable foodstuffs on special occasions.

On the bright side, the team is no longer bearing the mark of a cartoon who appears to be terrorizing the night in a set of elaborate pajamas. But wherever the stylized, disembodied pitchfork appears, we'll always remember the gnarled, searing hot hand of Hades that wields it.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Fashion-Break-Arizona-State-helmets-drop-their-?urn=ncaaf-wp725

The new look:

http://mit.zenfs.com/214/2011/04/AzState-Black-Uniforms.jpg

I honestly never caught the Walt Disney connection before.

badger
4/13/2011, 01:10 PM
More pics at their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=10150150100291854&id=22208101853&aid=286613

As Monty Burns once said as he was staring at a painting of him looking old, senile and naked: "I know what I hate… …and I don't hate this."

Their old unis utterly sucked. They needed a change so badly... but they are going to be sooooo hot in all-black unis in zona sun

Widescreen
4/13/2011, 01:30 PM
They have to come up with something to fire up the faithful since on-field success seems to be elusive for them.

Phil
4/13/2011, 01:31 PM
Did you notice the tribute to Pat Tillman on the collars of the football jerseys?

That pitchfork looks more like a trident.

And I always thought that Sparky looked like Walt Disney.

ouduckhunter
4/13/2011, 01:34 PM
Flashy competition is a good thing! Anything that helps to take the spotlight off the quacks rocks!

oudavid1
4/13/2011, 01:39 PM
Did you notice the tribute to Pat Tillman on the collars of the football jerseys?

That pitchfork looks more like a trident.

And I always thought that Sparky looked like Walt Disney.

Wow. What a classy move.
Love it.

C&CDean
4/13/2011, 01:48 PM
Gay. Very, very gay. I hope Mike Stoops' Wildcats obliterate these wannabes this year.

SoonerPr8r
4/13/2011, 01:55 PM
I like em. That being said no amount of edgy graphics and new colors can keep a team above 500

soonervegas
4/13/2011, 02:06 PM
Moving Sparky off the side of the helmets is a terrible move....

Looks like an AFL team

hawaii 5-0
4/13/2011, 02:11 PM
Upgrading Hawaii's uniforms, going to Black and dark green, changing the name from the Rainbows to the Warriors gave them a new attitude that turned the program around.

Look at Nebraska. They've pretty much stayed with the same design and they're still a bunch of losers.

5-0

Trump/Ren 2012

Leroy Lizard
4/13/2011, 02:15 PM
Upgrading Hawaii's uniforms, going to Black and dark green, changing the name from the Rainbows to the Warriors gave them a new attitude that turned the program around.

Sarcasm?

Peach Fuzz
4/13/2011, 02:18 PM
I think they look clean... You can't tell me players don't pay attention to what they would look like in a schools uniform. Players want to look good. This might help recruiting to some extent.

hawaii 5-0
4/13/2011, 02:26 PM
Sarcasm?

None implied.

They went from a winless season to a bowl bound season in one year. The turnaround was immediate.

5-0

Trump/Jerry Jones 2012

badger
4/13/2011, 02:28 PM
Look at Nebraska. They've pretty much stayed with the same design and they're still a bunch of losers.

Don't cry Nebraska. Texas owns many schools... five last year, to be exact.

:mack:

mightysooner
4/13/2011, 02:30 PM
It's about time they got rid of their comic book mascot and went with something more aggressive.

Mongo
4/13/2011, 02:34 PM
nothing like sporting all black during hot *** home games.

Soonerson1975
4/13/2011, 02:38 PM
nothing like sporting all black during hot *** home games.

Exactly what I was thinking. Arizona St will lead the country in one thing this next year............cramps.

Leroy Lizard
4/13/2011, 02:44 PM
None implied.

They went from a winless season to a bowl bound season in one year. The turnaround was immediate.

All that from just changing the uniform and the team mascot. Wow. Most teams are doing it the hard way.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/13/2011, 02:44 PM
Did you really call one of the most successful football programs in D-1 history a bunch of losers? Nebraska is many things but losers isn't one of them.

AlboSooner
4/13/2011, 02:46 PM
Tradition-less programs, like Oregon, ASU and Pokie St, do this kind of stuff often.

mightysooner
4/13/2011, 03:07 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Arizona St will lead the country in one thing this next year............cramps.

ASU plays a lot of their home games at night so I don't think the black unis will be much of a problem. My guess is they'll use the red jersies for daytime home games and use the black sparingly, later in the season. I don't think they're that stupid.

badger
4/13/2011, 03:25 PM
Did you really call one of the most successful football programs in D-1 history a bunch of losers? Nebraska is many things but losers isn't one of them.

Traitors :P

SoonerPr8r
4/13/2011, 03:32 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zxsbVMrOUNw/R9QWz1fXTrI/AAAAAAAAAB4/59msPPmfL0g/s400/FAM_MIDOL_MAX_STRENGTH_CAPLE-5300.jpg

budbarrybob
4/13/2011, 03:45 PM

Particularly vs hurry up offenses... :mad:

cvsooner
4/13/2011, 07:18 PM
Not only new uniforms, but a new video campaign for football, with footage of past glorious games, plays and players, based around the tagline..."It's time."

How origi--wait...where have I seen that before?

Leroy Lizard
4/13/2011, 07:31 PM
Not only new uniforms, but a new video campaign for football, with footage of past glorious games, plays and players, based around the tagline..."It's time."

How origi--wait...where have I seen that before?

Then there's the new fight song: Devils Forever

"The cactus spines
touches our behinds."

Hmmm... not feeling it.

OUstud
4/13/2011, 07:49 PM
Those will be especially awesome when they finish 4-8.

ouwasp
4/13/2011, 07:58 PM
Remember back around '84 or so when k-state changed up their unis and had solid purple helmets? Boz called them "grape-heads"... :D

OK2U
4/13/2011, 08:05 PM
Pokes are into it too, read:
http://bit.ly/eLDT8l

OU-HSV
4/13/2011, 08:38 PM
I think that looks pretty cool. But I don't think it's going to help them win games.

soonervegas
4/13/2011, 09:47 PM

Trump/Ren 2012

Rainbow helmets were still better....

EatLeadCommie
4/14/2011, 04:22 PM
always liked this site for checking out old helmets

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Mad Dog Madsen
4/14/2011, 04:27 PM

He's a Hawaii fan... He doesn't know any better.

SoonerofAlabama
4/15/2011, 04:14 PM
Less tradition means you can change what makes you up often. I don't like how some people complain about our uniforms; I like ours.