PDA

View Full Version : OKLAHOMA! Space Shuttles Retired...

StoopTroup
4/12/2011, 01:34 PM
NO SHUTTLE FOR YOU!

I knew we probably didn't stand a chance in getting one but it sure would have been cool.

At least it's all been settled.

NASA Chooses Space Shuttles’ Retirement Homes

NASA’s space shuttles, which have been carrying astronauts aloft for 30 years, were assigned to their final destinations on Tuesday: one will head to the nation’s capitol, another to Los Angeles, and the third from its current home at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida to the center’s visitor complex down the road.

The Discovery is headed to the Smithsonian, for display at the spacious Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport.

The Enterprise, which was used for early glide tests but was never sent into orbit, will now go the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in Manhattan.

The space shuttle Atlantis will go to the Kennedy visitor complex.

At a ceremony at Kennedy commemorating the shuttle program, Maj. Gen. Charles F. Bolden Jr., the NASA administrator, made the long-awaited announcement of where the soon-to-be museum pieces would end up.

The Discovery, which completed its final flight last month, is headed to the Smithsonian, for display at the spacious Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport. The Endeavour, currently on the launching pad for its final space trip, will go to the California Science Center. The Atlantis, scheduled for its last mission in June, will go to the Kennedy visitor complex.

With the Discovery headed to the Smithsonian, the museum will no longer have need for the Enterprise, the shuttle that has been on display there since 2004. The Enterprise, which was used for early glide tests but was never sent into orbit, will now go the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in Manhattan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/science/space/13shuttle.html

Soonerson1975
4/12/2011, 01:41 PM
Good choices, someone would have tried to make a meth lab in one if it had came to Oklahoma.

SoonerStormchaser
4/12/2011, 01:41 PM
That's bull**** that Atlantis didn't get sent to the USAF Museum in Ohio, after all the AF related missions that bugger did in the 80's and 90's.

badger
4/12/2011, 01:42 PM
I might have heard wrong, but it sounds like all three of the non-Smithsonian museum recipients are actually Smithsonian divisions... so really, they just gave all four to the Smithsonian. :mad:

tcrb
4/12/2011, 02:00 PM
Makes sense to send one to LA and one to NY ****in' City and not have one on display at NASA Mission Control?

WTF??? Really????

I think Houston has a problem with this.

OU_Sooners75
4/12/2011, 02:04 PM
Cool....now what are we going to do about the space program?

Are we just giving up on man space flight? Are they introducing a new orbital vehicle?

We damn sure don't need to stop our Manned Space Program!

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 02:06 PM
:(

tcrb
4/12/2011, 02:13 PM

Are we just giving up on man space flight? Are they introducing a new orbital vehicle?

NASA's mission was redefined by Barry Obama. It is now "To Build Ties With The Muslim World".

Link (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/nasa039s-new-mission-building-ties-muslim-world)

SoCaliSooner
4/12/2011, 02:17 PM

I believe obamo said that NASA's next step is to reach out to muslims. So that means.....I don't know. Maybe TelePrompTer loaded the wrong speech.

Soonerson1975
4/12/2011, 02:18 PM
So they are going to send Muslims to space?

SoCaliSooner
4/12/2011, 02:20 PM
So they are going to send Muslims to space?

I wouldn't mind launching rockets at them.

OU_Sooners75
4/12/2011, 02:21 PM
NASA's mission was redefined by Barry Obama. It is now "To Build Ties With The Muslim World".

Link (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/nasa039s-new-mission-building-ties-muslim-world)

Well, that is the American way now I guess....

"We can't do it!"

Thanks Obama for scrapping what we are good at! At least we are trying to be friendly to Obama's religious brothers and sisters!

SoonerNate
4/12/2011, 02:42 PM
Good choices, someone would have tried to make a meth lab in one if it had came to Oklahoma.

LMAO

Pricetag
4/12/2011, 02:48 PM
It is a travesty that Houston didn't get one of the ones that flew in space. They should have let California have Enterprise, and sent Endeavor to Houston. Let the New Yorkers drive to D.C. to see Discovery.

Jammin'
4/12/2011, 02:51 PM
Houston will be too busy making new Muslim friends to worry about running a tourist trap.

You can't undo 1,300 years of ill-will with a fruit basket.

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 03:10 PM
What if the fruit is in season?

stoopified
4/12/2011, 03:30 PM
What if the fruit is in season?When is BHO in season?

soonercruiser
4/12/2011, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't mind launching rockets at them.

:D
Beat me to it!

StoopTroup
4/12/2011, 10:22 PM
It's difficult to believe that NASA is to promote a Muslim Program but not hard to believe that we intend to make any Space programs or push to explore Space a Multi-National Program instead of a burden on American Taxpayers. It's hard to swallow when so much of our Military and scientific advancement have come from NASA and the Space program.

It's just not in our minds that that's the best way to go.

However....with the way Republicans are complaining about our budget....we have little choice but to slash NASA's Throat in stead of our Military.

The Military is on the Tea Party's chopping block.....the Dems and Pubes aren't ready to hack away at our military with all of the unrest in the Middle East.

This really sucks as I'm one of those kids that felt America's greatness came from our success in Space. Seeing us make it a 2nd thought....I feel it's a mistake somehow.

ouwasp
4/12/2011, 11:53 PM
Well, I figured Tulsa was a long-shot. Now at least we don't have to hear another voice begging for $$ over in Tulsa County.

Too bad Houston didn't get it. To heck w/ NYC.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/13/2011, 03:00 AM
Anyway you say it, for a shuttle not to be at Johnson Space Center is just wrong! Obummer and politics...

TheHumanAlphabet
4/13/2011, 03:01 AM

Obummer is paying a whole sh!tload of money to the Russians to send our people into orbit...

SoCaliSooner
4/13/2011, 10:10 AM
Anyway you say it, for a shuttle not to be at Johnson Space Center is just wrong! Obummer and politics...

Texas already has the Columbia...

StoopTroup
4/13/2011, 10:33 AM
Obummer is paying a whole sh!tload of money to the Russians to send our people into orbit...

How much more is it to ride theirs than maintain ours?

The Profit
4/13/2011, 11:02 AM
When is BHO in season?

I would be very careful with those kind of comments. You could get a knock on the door.

tcrb
4/13/2011, 12:07 PM

You're a real class act.

swardboy
4/13/2011, 12:47 PM

Actually shuttle operations were handled at Huntsville, Alabama's Marshall Space Flight Center, not Houston. There's a full scale shuttle mock-up already there complete with solid rockets and full tank...awesome. "Rocket Park" has every manned space rocket in full-scale...including a real Saturn V that never got launched on it''s side, with a full-scale 360'+ standing model. One of the actual Apollo capsules is there, plus a full-scale LEM (lunar excursion module).

I've been told it's a much better exhibition than Canaveral's or Houston's.

MR2-Sooner86
4/13/2011, 12:55 PM

That's wrong but so funny.

StoopTroup
4/13/2011, 01:37 PM
Actually shuttle operations were handled at Huntsville, Alabama's Marshall Space Flight Center, not Houston. There's a full scale shuttle mock-up already there complete with solid rockets and full tank...awesome. "Rocket Park" has every manned space rocket in full-scale...including a real Saturn V that never got launched on it''s side, with a full-scale 360'+ standing model. One of the actual Apollo capsules is there, plus a full-scale LEM (lunar excursion module).

Damn Bush's probably let that happen....lol

soonercruiser
4/13/2011, 01:42 PM
Damn Bush's probably let that happen....lol

Yah. Bush probably already has a Shuttle in Crawford anyway.
:rolleyes:

Soonerwake
4/13/2011, 02:13 PM
"The Military is on the Tea Party's chopping block.....the Dems and Pubes aren't ready to hack away at our military with all of the unrest in the Middle East."

There is a guy at the base that wears his Tea Party lanyard proudly. I don't have the heart to tell him that if his peeps get their way, he may just be out looking for a job soon... :D

OK, threadjack over.

pphilfran
4/13/2011, 02:15 PM

I have been to the Marshall SC...impressive to say the least...

TheHumanAlphabet
4/13/2011, 07:30 PM

News to me and the NASA and USA employees living in Clear Lake.