PDA

View Full Version : 50 years ago today Old Yuri went out of this world

olevetonahill
4/12/2011, 08:13 AM
. I can remember in school they brot us all in the cafeteria to watch it on black an white TeeVees :eek: 58 years After the Wright bros did their 1st flight.
And Now we got folks living up there, Just wonder where we will be in space in another 50 years?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110411/sc_afp/russiaspace50yearsgagarinoffbeat

SoonerLVZ
4/12/2011, 08:23 AM
What seems crazy to me is a little more than 8 years later we were putting a man on the moon. NASA has been trying to get a shuttle replacement for over 8 years and there still isn't one.

olevetonahill
4/12/2011, 08:26 AM
Hard to believe the Shuttle fleet is 30 years old :eek:

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 09:00 AM
I can't help but think that we could be a lot better off if we had used more time researching space exploration. It's like going outside, not seeing anyone at the time, seeing boring dirt beneath your shoes, and saying "Oh well, I think just seeing pictures of the neat stuff out there is enough."

olevetonahill
4/12/2011, 09:07 AM
I can't help but think that we could be a lot better off if we had used more time researching space exploration. It's like going outside, not seeing anyone at the time, seeing boring dirt beneath your shoes, and saying "Oh well, I think just seeing pictures of the neat stuff out there is enough."

This^
Plus the Products that we Now take for granted Like Plastic , Were a direct result of the space program

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah, it just feels like we've been sitting still on technology since the space race ended. We need to race to Alpha Centauri or something. :)

yermom
4/12/2011, 10:14 AM

the politicians might feel that way, the scientists don't...

texaspokieokie
4/12/2011, 10:43 AM
This^
Plus the Products that we Now take for granted Like Plastic , Were a direct result of the space program

Plastic ???????

yermom
4/12/2011, 10:45 AM
i think he means Tang

olevetonahill
4/12/2011, 11:04 AM
Plastic ???????

Yup, The space program brot it into everyday use,
Look up "Space program, Spinoffs.

StoopTroup
4/12/2011, 11:08 AM
I'm pretty sure it's on the Republican Chopping block.

Now.....if their was oil on the Moon......

olevetonahill
4/12/2011, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure it's on the Republican Chopping block.

Now.....if their was oil on the Moon......

Who says there aint ? :D

Jammin'
4/12/2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, it just feels like we've been sitting still on technology since the space race ended. We need to race to Alpha Centauri or something. :)

Or we need to invent a way to get information into the hands of the masses with a simple click of the button.

Or a way to be able to communicate from anywhere in the world with anyone in the world with a simple click of the button.

Or a way for my car to tell me which way to turn to get to whataburger.

Or.... etc.... :rolleyes:

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 01:29 PM
Internet - commissioned by DARPA in response to the USSR's successful launch of Sputnik
GPS - satellites and tech developed during the space program

Yup.

texaspokieokie
4/12/2011, 05:24 PM

plastic has been around all my life. i remember having plastic toys during WWII.

i remember the dash board trim on 46 model cars being made of plastic.

friend of mine worked in plastics division of Phillips 66 for MANY years, starting in 60.

jumperstop
4/12/2011, 05:36 PM
Internet - commissioned by DARPA in response to the USSR's successful launch of Sputnik
GPS - satellites and tech developed during the space program

Yup.

Don't forget velco!! Old people everywhere would be losing their shoes! :D

jumperstop
4/12/2011, 05:37 PM
plastic has been around all my life. i remember having plastic toys during WWII.

friend of mine worked in plastics division of Phillips 66 for MANY years, starting in 60.

I don't know about the plastic toys or dash, but the space race was well under way in the begining of the 1950's, if not directly after WWII.

jumperstop
4/12/2011, 05:46 PM
Really most plastic was invented well before WWII as early as the latter half of the 19th century, only synthetic rubber was invented as a result of the space race. According to wikipedia of course.

The first fully synthetic rubber was synthesized by Sergei Lebedev in 1910. In World War II, supply blockades of natural rubber from South East Asia caused a boom in development of synthetic rubber, notably styrene-butadiene rubber. In 1941, annual production of synthetic rubber in the U.S. was only 231 tonnes which increased to 840,000 tonnes in 1945. In the space race and nuclear arms race, Caltech researchers experimented with using synthetic rubbers for solid fuel for rockets. Ultimately, all large military rockets and missiles would use synthetic rubber based solid fuels, and they would also play a significant part in the civilian space effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic

cccasooner2
4/12/2011, 05:47 PM
I was pumping gas following one of the re-entries. Rememember one of the customers commenting how fast they were. Seems communication was lost during re-entry because the probes moved so fast.

olevetonahill
4/12/2011, 06:08 PM
This^

I don't know about the plastic toys or dash, but the space race was well under way in the begining of the 1950's, if not directly after WWII.

Ok Re Read my posts. I said a lot of the every day stuff we take for granted is a result of the Space Program

I dint say Plastic was INVENTED because of the Space program . It was just brot into wider use Because it was lighter.
Yall remember the Old brown Glass Clorox jugs? Lead lined toothpaste tubes?

jumperstop
4/12/2011, 06:18 PM
Ok Re Read my posts. I said a lot of the every day stuff we take for granted is a result of the Space Program

I dint say Plastic was INVENTED because of the Space program . It was just brot into wider use Because it was lighter.
Yall remember the Old brown Glass Clorox jugs? Lead lined toothpaste tubes?

I didn't disagree, just trying to settle the debate.

texaspokieokie
4/13/2011, 07:45 AM
Really most plastic was invented well before WWII as early as the latter half of the 19th century, only synthetic rubber was invented as a result of the space race. According to wikipedia of course.

i think synthetic rubber was widely used during WWII.(tires for civilians)

i know plastic was used during (& probably before) WWII.

probly, the space race accelerated their usage.

texaspokieokie
4/13/2011, 07:55 AM

i remember having a plastic (toy) airplane during WWII (they couldn't use any metal); i think it was a P-47. Maybe not, been 65 years.

i also claerly remember a friend burning little circles in the dash with a cigarette lighter, in someone's 46 ford.

texaspokieokie
4/13/2011, 08:27 AM

i don't think you read your own post. synthetic rubber was WIDELY used during WWII. our natural rubber supply was cut off by the japs.

texaspokieokie
4/13/2011, 09:18 AM
Don't forget velco!! Old people everywhere would be losing their shoes! :D

i love velcro !!!!