PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Public Schools Ban Home Brought Lunches

SoonerNate
4/11/2011, 09:17 PM
They want control over what the kids eat.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/food-fight-chicago-school-bans-students-from-bringing-own-lunches/

At the school, students are only allowed to bring their own lunch if they have a medical excuse. Why? You guessed it: the school wants to protect children from food that’s unhealthy.

sperry
4/11/2011, 09:22 PM
Makes some sense. There are probably tons of terrible parents that just let their kids take a bunch of candy and potato chips for lunch. At least they'll get one decently healthy, although terrible tasting, meal per day this way.

SoonerNate
4/11/2011, 09:22 PM
Makes some sense. There are probably tons of terrible parents that just let their kids take a bunch of candy and potato chips for lunch. At least they'll get one decently healthy, although terrible tasting, meal per day this way.

Nanny state. They've got you right where they want you Sperry.

Screw freedom. The government knows best.

sperry
4/11/2011, 09:29 PM

Screw freedom. The government knows best.

They even make you send your kids to school! Fascists!

olevetonahill
4/11/2011, 09:33 PM
1st those chicago bastards take yer guns Now yer kids lunch :eek:

SoonerNate
4/11/2011, 09:34 PM
Next will be our joerbs!

mgsooner
4/11/2011, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous.

soonercruiser
4/11/2011, 10:01 PM
Remember the "Golden Rule"????

Follow the Money!
The decision rto implement this rule is up to the School Principal.
The school gets a certain amount of $$, per child whose parents do not opt out (normally). And, there is a contract vendor for the meals.

So, there has been some talk about possible kickbacks from the vendor.

Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.

At Little Village, most students must take the meals served in the cafeteria or go hungry or both. During a recent visit to the school, dozens of students took the lunch but threw most of it in the garbage uneaten. Though CPS has improved the nutritional quality of its meals this year, it also has seen a drop-off in meal participation among students, many of whom say the food tastes bad.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-04-10/news/ct-met-school-lunch-restrictions-041120110410_1_lunch-food-provider-public-school

http://www.newser.com/story/116115/school-bans-lunches-packed-at-home.html
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/chicago-school-ban-kids-from-bringing-lunch-from-home/

Personally, I would have missed using my Superman lunch pail.

SoCaliSooner
4/11/2011, 10:30 PM
When these kids are in the womb the parents have the right to abort them...once they are born you lose the right to feed them and the government tells parents what the kids can eat.

SoonerNate
4/11/2011, 10:31 PM

Follow the Money!
The school gets a certain amount of $$, per child whose parents do not opt out (normally). And, there is a contract vendor for the meals.

http://www.newser.com/story/116115/school-bans-lunches-packed-at-home.html
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/chicago-school-ban-kids-from-bringing-lunch-from-home/

Personally, I would have missed using my Superman lunch pail.

Hard to believe that something fishy like this would occur in Chicago though. ;)

Preservation Parcels
4/11/2011, 11:15 PM
Study Shows Kids Who Bring Lunch From Home Are Less Likely to Be Overweight (http://children.webmd.com/news/20100315/school-lunches-linked-to-kids-obesity)

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 01:33 AM

Follow the Money!

If that's true then someone needs to go to jail.

EDIT: This is Chicago. Never mind.

reflector
4/12/2011, 09:41 AM
I read this story yesterday. It is pretty crazy, if you ask me.

JLEW1818
4/12/2011, 09:42 AM
Obama strikes again ...

pphilfran
4/12/2011, 09:47 AM
Let's see..

The incompetent parent can't pack a decent lunch so the school bans the home lunch...but at the end of day we send the kid back home to the incompetent parent where even more critical decisions are being made....

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 09:49 AM
I would sue the hell out of that place. Their lunches are 10x worse than anything I would ever give my child.

badger
4/12/2011, 09:50 AM
Remember when Boren was saying that freshmen are required to live on campus because it creates a community at OU among the students or whatever? Yeah, we all knew he was just trying to milk students and families for more money too :D

As such, I think this is a largely money-driven thing (and since it's in Chicago, it's probably mob-provided food, hehe).

I dunno about you all, but as a kid looking down that hot lunch schedule and seeing CRAP listed on the upcoming menu, I HAD to HAD to HAD TO bring in an alternative that day, either money to get food from nearby stores, the vending machines before the day, or bring in a sandwich. My older brother, who was strongly vegetarian (with some exceptions), was on the sandwich-from-home plan for most of his schooling just because the stuff they served was inedible to him.

In any event, you go, rioting protesting Chicago kids :D

Midtowner
4/12/2011, 09:51 AM
Let's see..

The incompetent parent can't pack a decent lunch so the school bans the home lunch...but at the end of day we send the kid back home to the incompetent parent where even more critical decisions are being made....

Having had extensive dealings with the foster care system, I don't see it as a superior alternative.

pphilfran
4/12/2011, 09:57 AM
Having had extensive dealings with the foster care system, I don't see it as a superior alternative.

I am not saying there is a good alternative...

Wait, on a side note, my female dachshund puppy is humping her chew bear...

Back on topic...

I think it is sad that the best thing the kid is probably going to get that day is a tasty school lunch...

SoCaliSooner
4/12/2011, 10:01 AM
I think it is sad that the best thing the kid is probably going to get that day is a tasty school lunch...

That right there is the mantra from the left. We can't do away with free breakfast/lunch programs at school because the Reagan/Bush/Bush administrations don't realize that these starving kids only get fed in school and not at home.

yermom
4/12/2011, 10:05 AM
when i first read it i was thinking they just wanted to sell more lunches

how many kids even bring their own lunches any more?

if it was my kid, i'd be sending a lunch anyway and tell them to bite me.

stoopified
4/12/2011, 10:07 AM

Screw freedom. The government knows best. True dat,where does it end?

BillyBall
4/12/2011, 10:13 AM
Its ridiculous but completely indicative of this ****ed up city.

sooneron
4/12/2011, 10:15 AM
I really don't expect anything smart to come from City of Chicago policy.

SoCaliSooner
4/12/2011, 10:30 AM
I really don't expect anything smart to come from City of Chicago policy.
My guess is that whoever is going to be providing the lunches is minority owned and has ties to Jesse Jackson and/or Rahm Emanuel....

MrJimBeam
4/12/2011, 11:13 AM
They even make you send your kids to poorly performing inter-city schools! Fascists!

better?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/12/2011, 11:19 AM
I wish a bish would try and take my cheese sammich away from me when I was in skoo...

soonerscuba
4/12/2011, 11:26 AM
I'm betting Obama used the same time machine to go back 6 years ago and implement this policy as he used to go back to 1961 and plant that fake birth announcement in the Honolulu paper. Tricksy, tricksy president.

While stupid, this isn't new.

OhU1
4/12/2011, 11:28 AM
I went to Chicago area schools until the 4th grade. They didn't even have a hot lunch option. When we came to Oklahoma we got hot lunches (which I thought were pretty good actually).

Oklahoma much > Chicago.

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 11:30 AM
My guess is that whoever is going to be providing the lunches is minority owned and has ties to Jesse Jackson and/or Rahm Emanuel....

Chartwells-Thompson is owned by Compass, which is a massive international conglomerate. They have more political lobbyists than you have dandruff flakes.

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 11:31 AM

And they will take your kid's lunch and throw it in the garbage.

You think I'm joking?

yermom
4/12/2011, 11:36 AM
then they would probably get to explain why my kid didn't get lunch to the news

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 11:54 AM
then they would probably get to explain why my kid didn't get lunch to the news

"He refuses to eat our government-sanctioned meals." This is Chicago.

BTW, what about those kids who are not on free/reduced lunch? Since they have to pay, can they bring their own lunch instead?

Remember when Boren was saying that freshmen are required to live on campus because it creates a community at OU among the students or whatever? Yeah, we all knew he was just trying to milk students and families for more money too

Any university that claims they require students to live on campus for the students' benefit is lying. This is one of the most despicable examples of dishonesty perpetrated by universities.

SoonerNate
4/12/2011, 12:38 PM
I'm betting Obama used the same time machine to go back 6 years ago and implement this policy as he used to go back to 1961 and plant that fake birth announcement in the Honolulu paper. Tricksy, tricksy president.

While stupid, this isn't new.

Don't give Trump any more crazy ideas.

OULenexaman
4/12/2011, 12:45 PM
My guess is that whoever is going to be providing the lunches is minority owned and has ties to Jesse Jackson and/or Rahm Emanuel.... this sounds par for the course....Emanuel didn't take long to strike up the band behind the machine...;)

ouduckhunter
4/12/2011, 12:54 PM
Oh my gawd!!! That is such an intrusion by big brother on so many levels that I cannot even believe it!! Next step, they'll be sending home the left overs and demanding that the kids be required to eat them at dinner!

OUDoc
4/12/2011, 12:57 PM

Yeah. I'm almost certain the schools don't have that authority.

Mjcpr
4/12/2011, 12:59 PM
I think this all goes back to incompetent doctors and not limiting the malpractice awards by a jury.

OUDoc
4/12/2011, 01:07 PM
I think this all goes back to incompetent doctors and not limiting the malpractice awards by a jury.

Wasn't that in the Bible?

MR2-Sooner86
4/12/2011, 01:15 PM
From the proud city that brought us Obama.

SoonerNate
4/12/2011, 02:56 PM
From the proud city that brought us Obama.

Nairobi? ;)

tator
4/12/2011, 03:24 PM
Wasn't that in the Bible?
No, it was in the one of the gospels that didn't make the cut

Scott D
4/12/2011, 04:16 PM
I like how the actions of one principal have been twisted into an entire school system...well played Nathanial...well played.

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 06:42 PM
I like how the actions of one principal have been twisted into an entire school system...well played Nathanial...well played.

Agreed.

SoonerNate
4/12/2011, 07:07 PM
Let's not argue semantics here.

soonercruiser
4/12/2011, 09:47 PM
Remember when Boren was saying that freshmen are required to live on campus because it creates a community at OU among the students or whatever? Yeah, we all knew he was just trying to milk students and families for more money too :D

As such, I think this is a largely money-driven thing (and since it's in Chicago, it's probably mob-provided food, hehe).

I dunno about you all, but as a kid looking down that hot lunch schedule and seeing CRAP listed on the upcoming menu, I HAD to HAD to HAD TO bring in an alternative that day, either money to get food from nearby stores, the vending machines before the day, or bring in a sandwich. My older brother, who was strongly vegetarian (with some exceptions), was on the sandwich-from-home plan for most of his schooling just because the stuff they served was inedible to him.

In any event, you go, rioting protesting Chicago kids :D

Mob food!
Wouldn't that be "slow" Italian?
(vesus fast food)

I think that they only get Italian on Wednesdays.

yermom
4/12/2011, 11:13 PM
Let's not argue semantics here.

surely you see the difference...

"Chicago School Bans" could just be a rogue idiot/corrupt principal

"Chicago Schools Ban" would require a much higher level of idiocy/corruption in local government

SoonerNate
4/12/2011, 11:19 PM
No I get it, I erred. But it's still ridiculous.

Leroy Lizard
4/13/2011, 02:25 AM
"Chicago Schools Ban" would require a much higher level of idiocy/corruption in local government

So it's coming.

badger
4/13/2011, 09:16 AM
Mob food!
Wouldn't that be "slow" Italian?
(vesus fast food)

I think that they only get Italian on Wednesdays.

Hehe, I'm not sure where I heard it from, but it seems like there is a mob mentality in the Chicago area that controls government entity contracts (like schools), forces unionized work on everything from minimum wage jobs to all construction projects (and thus, forcing all workers to join unions as well), etc. etc.

When I first read "chicago" and "school lunches," this is immediately what came to mind:

http://images.ukcs.net/14930/rat-milk.jpg

If you never saw this episode of the Simpsons, it's where the mob bought off the mayor to get their milk in Springfield schools, and it turned out to be produced by rats. :eek:

cantwait48
4/13/2011, 09:21 AM
amazingly I ate bologna sandwhiches, chips, ding dongs, ho hos, cupcakes, twinkies, etc. for years as a sack lunch and am still alive today and quite healthy. probably because I actually played outside most of the time so I got some exercise other than chatting with and sexting my friends.

pphilfran
4/13/2011, 09:24 AM
amazingly I ate bologna sandwhiches, chips, ding dongs, ho hos, cupcakes, twinkies, etc. for years as a sack lunch and am still alive today and quite healthy. probably because I actually played outside most of the time so I got some exercise other than chatting with and sexting my friends.

10,387,213 kids ate the same meals and you are lucky enough to be the only one left alive...

texaspokieokie
4/13/2011, 09:25 AM
in hi-school, i mostly went home for lunch.

oudavid1
4/13/2011, 09:28 AM
This is all about money.

my freshman year of high school(NW Oklahoma City) we were aloud to order pizza from All American. It was 6$ for a large pizza. Get a friend, 3$ for half a pizza. Every lunch there would be about 50 people meeting the pizza guy outside to get the food. The following year the school told All American not to let students order anymore and if you wanted to buy pizza you had to pay 1.75$ a slice. Even if its really little. It was bull. I handled it in my own way but it was pretty great before. The principals told us it was Sodexo (the lunch food provider) who made it happen. Follow the money.

JLEW1818
4/13/2011, 09:30 AM

:D

stoops the eternal pimp
4/13/2011, 09:31 AM
Jlew put ding dongs in his mouth in school also

oudavid1
4/13/2011, 09:35 AM

Both are equally fun :D

saucysoonergal
4/13/2011, 09:38 AM
Jlew put ding dongs in his mouth in school also

I heard he was called a Twinkie or something like that too. ;)

saucysoonergal
4/13/2011, 09:40 AM
Oh, my bad it was a Twink. Sorry.

;)

Mississippi Sooner
4/13/2011, 10:24 AM
You can milk a rat?

OUDoc
4/13/2011, 10:28 AM
Can you milk me, Greg?

saucysoonergal
4/13/2011, 10:58 AM
Can you milk me, Greg?

Pop off the manzier and let Greg try!!!

;)

badger
4/13/2011, 11:09 AM
You can milk a rat?

The Simpsons used to be funny. :(

Picture this: Homer first discovers the image that I put up. Then, after going ewwwwwww and stuff, he runs to the school to see an entire lunchroom drinking this rat milk (complete with loud carton drinking noises) out of little cartons with Fat Tony's face on it, and then Bart runs up and wants to give him a kiss with his rat-milk mustached mouth :eek:

The mayor's response to Fat Tony milking rats? "Rats!? I'm outraged! You promised me dog or higher!"

:D

oudavid1
4/13/2011, 12:57 PM
Can you milk me, Greg?

http://www.learningfromlyrics.org/meet_files/image004.jpg

yermom
4/15/2011, 03:47 PM
maybe i wouldn't care if the lunches were like this... http://wimp.com/schoollunches/

cccasooner2
4/15/2011, 04:02 PM
Soylent Green tastes bad and should not be forced on the kids.