PDA

View Full Version : Question? Sport related but not football....

NorCal Sooner
4/11/2011, 01:14 PM
Fact: The federal government has spent millions of dollars and years to investigate and put together a case to prove that Barry Bonds lied to a grand jury about steroids.

Question: While not telling the truth to a federal grand jury is just plain stupid not to mention illegal, is it not a crime to waste tax payer money on something like this?

As my dad once told me, "pick your fights very carefully, and make sure it's worth fighting for." Hasn't the Department of Justice anything better to do than waste money prosicuting people like Bonds and Marion Jones(Jones went to jail BTW). Just seems like a waste of money. As someone who pays taxes, and in a time of record deficits, I'm pissed........

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2011, 01:22 PM
Fact: The federal government has spent millions of dollars and years to investigate and put together a case to prove that Barry Bonds lied to a grand jury about steroids.

Question: While not telling the truth to a federal grand jury is just plain stupid not to mention illegal, is it not a crime to waste tax payer money on something like this?

If it was they would have to hold their sessions in San Quentin.

PalmBeachSooner
4/11/2011, 01:27 PM
I hadn't thought about it in dollar and cents terms but it does seem like a huge waste of resources. "At the end of the day" will it accomplish anything?

Even though I can't stand Bonds it's not right that he is being singled out, which further validates your point.

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 01:33 PM
i don't think they can really get him, unless he admits he lied... the words would have to come out of his mouth ... "yes i lied"

NorCal Sooner
4/11/2011, 01:37 PM
i don't think they can really get him, unless he admits he lied... the words would have to come out of his mouth ... "yes i lied"

Yes, but i guess the point is that I would be willing to pay about ten bucks to find out if Bonds lied to a grand jury, but millions, what a waste.

TahoeSOONER
4/11/2011, 01:47 PM
Waste of time and tax payer money and reflects how out of touch our government has become "serving" it's people.

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 01:49 PM
They should make him swim around the Farallon Islands

MeMyself&Me
4/11/2011, 04:13 PM
Things like this happen when the people spending our money don't act like they're spending their money. And yes, if it's not a civil crime, it's at least a moral one.

AZSOONER
4/11/2011, 04:21 PM

Hope Tom Cruise is the attourney, if he can get Col. Jessup to admit he ordered a code red surely he can get Bonds to say he lied.

AZSOONER
4/11/2011, 04:22 PM
Waste of time and tax payer money and reflects how out of touch our government has become "serving" it's people.

If found guilty they should make Bonds pay the fees.

rekamrettuB
4/11/2011, 04:46 PM
Why they got involved initially should be up for debate...not the fact that they are going after someone for lying to a grand jury. They have to do that. They aren't doing it because it's Barry Bonds. They would do it even if it were me. They are doing it to prevent other folk from doing the same.

NorCal Sooner
4/11/2011, 05:13 PM
Why they got involved initially should be up for debate...not the fact that they are going after someone for lying to a grand jury. They have to do that. They aren't doing it because it's Barry Bonds. They would do it even if it were me. They are doing it to prevent other folk from doing the same.

I understand that if you do not tell the truth to a grand jury then you are breaking the law; however, should the punshisment be the same for lying to a grand jury about jaywalking as lying about stealing millions of dollars? That is the real question.

Do you go after any person who is thought to have lied to a grand jury? I can see an argument for this, but I think as federal prosicutors, they must pick their battles. I'd rather seem them go after the tools on Wall Street for collusion and cheating than Barry Bonds lying about taking steroids.

TahoeSOONER
4/11/2011, 05:45 PM
I understand that if you do not tell the truth to a grand jury then you are breaking the law; however, should the punshisment be the same for lying to a grand jury about jaywalking as lying about stealing millions of dollars? That is the real question.

Do you go after any person who is thought to have lied to a grand jury? I can see an argument for this, but I think as federal prosicutors, they must pick their battles. I'd rather seem them go after the tools on Wall Street for collusion and cheating than Barry Bonds lying about taking steroids.

This! Bigger fish!

On a side note, I'm a GIANTS fans who was at the game when Bonds hit 73 against the Dodgers.

cccasooner2
4/11/2011, 06:20 PM

No, I agree with you and it shows me how out of touch with reality I am.

TahoeSOONER
4/11/2011, 07:38 PM
No, I agree with you and it shows me how out of touch with reality I am.

:eek:

AlbqSooner
4/11/2011, 08:03 PM
The prosecutors told Bonds, before he testified, that if he testified truthfully, he would not be prosecuted for any drug use about which he testified.

When he ostensibly lied to the Grand Jury, the prosecutors got pizzed, as is their wont.

picasso
4/11/2011, 08:43 PM
It will show future roid puppies that if they juice up and get caught, they will lose all cred that they so shallowly aspired for.