PDA

View Full Version : SEC to have a down year?

Rocko
4/10/2011, 10:00 PM
The two strongest contenders appear to be LSU and Bama.

Among the upper echelon of teams in the conference, Florida, Bama, Arkansas, and Auburn, will be attempting to find a new QB. LSU isn't looking too solid at the position either.

With the defenses being so stout in the SEC, inconsistent QB play could leave each of these teams with a couple losses.

I'm looking for them to truly beat up each other this coming season, and leave them without a title contender.

Bold (ish)Prediction: Oregon gets past LSU in their season opener, and runs the table for another NCG appearance.

Edit: Oh, and SC has suspended Garcia indefinitely

gaylordfan1
4/10/2011, 10:08 PM
Isn't LSU returning their QB? I don't exactly recall but wasn't he pretty descent?

Rocko
4/10/2011, 10:15 PM
Isn't LSU returning their QB? I don't exactly recall but wasn't he pretty descent?

Never said they weren't returning their QB. They're returning two starters actually: Jefferson and Lee. However, both are absolute trash when it comes to throwing the ball. Jefferson is the starter mainly because he can run, and Lee likes throwing to the other team.

Jefferson (their starter) went 4-12 in the spring game with an int.

gaylordfan1
4/10/2011, 10:24 PM
I will be honest and say I know nothing about LSU or their roster, but I thought there was quite the buzz surounding them this year.

Iam4OUru
4/10/2011, 10:39 PM
I will be honest and say I know nothing about LSU or their roster, but I thought there was quite the buzz surounding them this year.

That was because of the signing of UGA transfer, Zach Mettenberger. "Fans" down here have labeled him "The Mettsiah"...even though he's never thrown a pass in a college game. LSU basically has no proven QB. They have experience but no proven talent or leadership. Jefferson will be the season starter.

Tigeman
4/10/2011, 11:10 PM
Despite the media buzz, I'm calling for LSU to drop 3 maybe even 4 this year.

OK2U
4/11/2011, 12:04 AM
http://bit.ly/hMX3Bt

OK2U
4/11/2011, 12:04 AM
Oops wrong thread

goingoneight
4/11/2011, 12:11 AM
five consecutive MNCs and the best QB in the group before Newton was Tebow. That's not saying much.

Peach Fuzz
4/11/2011, 12:18 AM
I bet there will be some SEC teams that can ball like any year... you're right that it's just too competitive for them to just run around

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2011, 12:37 AM
Edit: Oh, and SC has suspended Garcia until he promises not to get in any more trouble.

FIFY

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2011, 12:38 AM
http://bit.ly/hMX3Bt

That is one scary looking URL. I don't dare click on it.

Okie35
4/11/2011, 05:02 AM
That was because of the signing of UGA transfer, Zach Mettenberger. "Fans" down here have labeled him "The Mettsiah"...even though he's never thrown a pass in a college game. LSU basically has no proven QB. They have experience but no proven talent or leadership. Jefferson will be the season starter.

I've been hearing he's better than Jefferson since last season.

Mongo
4/11/2011, 05:48 AM
Jefferson threw only 7 TD passes last year, and 3 of those were against the aggies in the bowl game.

85sooners
4/11/2011, 06:08 AM
:D
Jefferson threw only 7 TD passes last year, and 3 of those were against the aggies in the bowl game.

PLaw
4/11/2011, 06:32 AM

Among the upper echelon of teams in the conference, Florida, Bama, Arkansas, and Auburn, will be attempting to find a new QB. LSU isn't looking too solid at the position either.

With the defenses being so stout in the SEC, inconsistent QB play could leave each of these teams with a couple losses.

I'm looking for them to truly beat up each other this coming season, and leave them without a title contender.

Bold (ish)Prediction: Oregon gets past LSU in their season opener, and runs the table for another NCG appearance.

AND . . . maybe, just maybe, the NCAA will throw the hammer at all of the recruiting bidding down there and half of them will be hit with major proby. The stuff that is being reported on a weekly basis is on par with the old SWC in the late 80's when every member institution (maybe with exception of Rice) got nailed.

BOOMER

rekamrettuB
4/11/2011, 09:44 AM
With Kragthorpe coming in as OC they will have to make a change at QB. They will need someone that can complete a high % of passes. Jefferson certainly isn't the guy.

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 09:57 AM
LSU will beat Oregon.. I would love to bet on that one... and i will. i will probably bet 500 on it. It will be a good start to the season.

SEC has now won the last 5 National Title Games.

So u gotta think they will at leat be at the game.

LSU to the national title is probable. I mean, it is in New Orleans this year

Sooner98
4/11/2011, 01:13 PM
The SEC could have a horribly down year, and still be light years better than the lousy mid-major conference that we are in.

Iam4OUru
4/11/2011, 04:32 PM
LSU will beat Oregon.. I would love to bet on that one... and i will. i will probably bet 500 on it. It will be a good start to the season.

SEC has now won the last 5 National Title Games.

So u gotta think they will at leat be at the game.

LSU to the national title is probable. I mean, it is in New Orleans this year

They won't be as lucky as they were the last time it was in New Orleans. Remember how all the pieces fell into place for them to get to #2?

badger
4/11/2011, 04:39 PM
They got five-straight titles because they got invited!

2010: Auburn invited over TCU
2009: Bammer invited over TCU, Cincy and Boise State
2008: Florida invited over Utah, USC and Texas
2007: LSU (TWO losses!) invited over USC, Mizzou, West Virginia, Kansas, BYU, Hawaii
2006: Florida invited over USC, Boise State, Louisville, Wisconsin

The SEC has not earned its way into five BCS titles. They were voted in, over teams with equal or better regular season records. Yes, OU has played the BCS game very well, milking the polls for optimum placement to our advantage in the Big 12 and BCS. The SEC has milked it better. The end result is five-straight titles.

soonercoop1
4/11/2011, 05:06 PM

Down enough where we have to play LSU in New Orleans again...can see it happening again...

Soonerman82
4/11/2011, 10:01 PM
Down enough where we have to play LSU in New Orleans again...can see it happening again...

I hope not. I'm tired of playing teams in thier backyard for the MNC.

jersey sooner
4/11/2011, 10:14 PM
Did anyone watch LSU's spring game?

starclassic tama
4/11/2011, 10:21 PM
They got five-straight titles because they got invited!

2010: Auburn invited over TCU
2009: Bammer invited over TCU, Cincy and Boise State
2008: Florida invited over Utah, USC and Texas
2007: LSU (TWO losses!) invited over USC, Mizzou, West Virginia, Kansas, BYU, Hawaii
2006: Florida invited over USC, Boise State, Louisville, Wisconsin

The SEC has not earned its way into five BCS titles. They were voted in, over teams with equal or better regular season records. Yes, OU has played the BCS game very well, milking the polls for optimum placement to our advantage in the Big 12 and BCS. The SEC has milked it better. The end result is five-straight titles.

you might have a point if the SEC team didn't win EVERY SINGLE ONE of those titles games. to say that a team that runs the SEC schedule and makes it to the title game and wins did not earn it, is complete nonsense.

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 11:11 PM
That's silly Badger.

Cornfed
4/12/2011, 01:34 PM
Did anyone watch LSU's spring game?

I watched parts of it and the georgia transfer can throw the ball.

badger
4/12/2011, 01:38 PM
you might have a point if the SEC team didn't win EVERY SINGLE ONE of those titles games. to say that a team that runs the SEC schedule and makes it to the title game and wins did not earn it, is complete nonsense.

My strongest argument would have to be that while the SEC won those games, the other deserving teams in many cases won their BCS bowl games (or just their bowl games) as well.

In the case of 2008, Utah not only won a BCS bowl, they beat an SEC team in SEC country.

I don't hate the SEC, I just think that like OU, they've had very favorable BCS placement.