PDA

View Full Version : Sam Grooms just committed

bri
4/10/2011, 09:36 PM
Per OU Hoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21968).

And so the Era of Lon begins in earnest.

Collier11
4/10/2011, 09:42 PM
Had never heard of him, looks like a good get...apparently we are in on the Edmond kid as well

Soonerjeepman
4/10/2011, 10:40 PM
not to be a Debbie Downer...but we beat out Baylor (ok...decent there)...Tenn, Houston, La Tech, and South Florida...not counting Baylor I'd say those are not top 25 programs...

I know, it's late and he's one of the only ones left....I TRUST Kruger...just not real super excited...forgive me. Hopefully he can be a Q. White...not much fan fare but came in and did a great job.

Collier11
4/10/2011, 10:46 PM
1st, Scott Drew is one of the best recruiters in the nation at Baylor, 2nd, Tennessee is a top 25 program every day of the week. 3rd, I dont know much about him but worrying about who else is recruiting him is pointless

bri
4/10/2011, 10:50 PM
Welcome to SoonerFans.com, dude. appearances > results

Collier11
4/10/2011, 10:58 PM
:D

yankee
4/10/2011, 11:14 PM
Awesome pickup. We needed depth at PG. I don't know if he's good enough to wrest away the job from Blair (like some people will automatically assume), but this is great. Also allows Newell to move over to his more natural position, the 2.

This means we now have two pass-first point guards on the team. Yay yay yay!

Collier11
4/10/2011, 11:18 PM
everyone does seem to assume that Blair wont get better, he was only a soph wasnt he?

yankee
4/10/2011, 11:24 PM
everyone does seem to assume that Blair wont get better, he was only a soph wasnt he?

Yup. He showed a lot of potential this year. And I'm sure he'll work very hard this off-season, and he knows what he needs to improve on.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/11/2011, 12:36 AM
Per OU Hoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21968).

And so the Era of Lon begins in earnest.FWIW: http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=1063217&nid=5436095&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d75%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d1063217%26nid% 3d5436095%26fhn%3d1

yankee
4/11/2011, 12:40 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/90/904769m.jpg

Fitz's long lost brother?

Boomer.....
4/11/2011, 07:52 AM
He does look like Fitz.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Andrew+Fitzgerald+Y9sTMwK_Uftm.jpg

Soonerjeepman
4/11/2011, 10:12 AM
1st, Scott Drew is one of the best recruiters in the nation at Baylor, 2nd, Tennessee is a top 25 program every day of the week. 3rd, I dont know much about him but worrying about who else is recruiting him is pointless

#1 agree...that's what I said..good get FROM Baylor...

#2 maybe...just fired Pearl...but ok...so 2 out of the 5 schools are OU's level.

#3 well obviously it does SHOW some possible idea of caliber of player..as far as "worrying" I don't worry...I'm not the coach!

just sayin I'm not getting ALL EXCITED, there are reasons he isn't signed yet...I also said he very well may turn out to be a Q White..which would be great.

OUmillenium
4/11/2011, 10:19 AM
Was St. Bonaventure in on him? No? Good...

bornnbredou
4/11/2011, 10:58 AM
this guy drew interest from louisville and unc as the season progressed as well. obviously never got offered but hes catching peoples eyes which is a good thing. not sure if he'll take blairs spot, but we desperately needed the depth at pg.

hopefully we land josh richardson now too to prety much close up recruiting, anyone know if we have another scholly available to do that?

TopDawg
4/11/2011, 12:39 PM
not to be a Debbie Downer...but we beat out Baylor (ok...decent there)...Tenn, Houston, La Tech, and South Florida...not counting Baylor I'd say those are not top 25 programs...

I know, it's late and he's one of the only ones left....I TRUST Kruger...just not real super excited...forgive me. Hopefully he can be a Q. White...not much fan fare but came in and did a great job.

i'm just glad we beat out anybody!

Soonerjeepman
4/11/2011, 12:41 PM
this guy drew interest from louisville and unc as the season progressed as well. obviously never got offered but hes catching peoples eyes which is a good thing. not sure if he'll take blairs spot, but we desperately needed the depth at pg.

hopefully we land josh richardson now too to prety much close up recruiting, anyone know if we have another scholly available to do that?

agreed at the depth...someone said Newell is more of a 2 guard so he could slide back over with Blair and this dude as the 1.

J Richardson seems like a good get...I think if we want him Krug will get him. Also read the top 10 guard for 2012 in Oklahoma (out of Ardmore, Jackson) has OU in his top 5 now...along with UNC, KU, Tex and Baylor.

Unless Krug pulls a ship we have 2...unless JUCO big man Goff doesn't come.

Soonerjeepman
4/11/2011, 12:43 PM
i'm just glad we beat out anybody!

LOL...guess at his point yah...but like Capel did just filling out a roster, I'd rather eat the 'ship for the yr and save it for next yr UNLESS the guy can help right away...

TopDawg
4/11/2011, 12:51 PM
A few people mentioned the depth, but one thing that's underrated is how this will help in practice. Regardless of whether Blair remains the starter or not, he's probably going to have to work harder in practice now which is great. As long as these guys are on our "two-deep," they can have a pretty decent impact even if they rarely see the floor during a game.

LiveLaughLove
4/11/2011, 01:03 PM
Seems from what I've read that Lon likes having 2-3 guards on the court at times. So maybe this will help in that way too.

I don't follow recruiting but I'm glad he is getting somebody, and he must think they can help or he wouldn't have bothered.

Soonerjeepman
4/11/2011, 01:10 PM
Seems from what I've read that Lon likes having 2-3 guards on the court at times. So maybe this will help in that way too.

I don't follow recruiting but I'm glad he is getting somebody, and he must think they can help or he wouldn't have bothered.

ummm...yeah I'd say that is a givin..(he thinks he can help next yr)...it SEEMED to me Capel just was filling out spots on a few of our gets...course I'm not a D1 coach...so...:pop:

yankee
4/11/2011, 01:49 PM

We have 1 more for 2011 if LK wants to use it. I assume it'll be between Richardson and Jurick (assuming he's still interested).

OU_Sooners75
4/11/2011, 01:56 PM
Cool pick up.

Nino Jackson (Ardmore) now says OU is back in his Top 5.

I doubt we get him though.

stoopified
4/11/2011, 02:00 PM
cool

Mad Dog Madsen
4/11/2011, 02:11 PM
We have 1 more for 2011 if LK wants to use it. I assume it'll be between Richardson and Jurick (assuming he's still interested).

I'd rather have Richardson but according to this link he doesn't even have an OU offer. He does have some pretty interesting offers though... Penn St.? Tennessee? Georgia Tech? But no OU... :confused:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Josh-Richardson-104496

picasso
4/11/2011, 05:18 PM

Tulsa World states that UNC was interested in him. Perhaps he can dribble
?

LiveLaughLove
4/11/2011, 05:34 PM
ummm...yeah I'd say that is a givin..(he thinks he can help next yr)...it SEEMED to me Capel just was filling out spots on a few of our gets...course I'm not a D1 coach...so...:pop:

I agree that it seemed Capel was just filling spots at times.

I think Lon has a goal in mind (for what he wants in recruits) and will work toward it. I have no proof of that, just his overall success for a good long while now.

I still can't believe he is our coach. I keep thinking it was a long drawn out April Fool's joke.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/11/2011, 05:51 PM
I think Lon has a goal in mind (for what he wants in recruits) and will work toward it. I have no proof of that, just his overall success for a good long while now.

I still can't believe he is our coach. I keep thinking it was a long drawn out April Fool's joke.Kinda like our supposed new wrestling coach. Wonder WTF is up with that!

yankee
4/11/2011, 07:58 PM
I'd rather have Richardson but according to this link he doesn't even have an OU offer. He does have some pretty interesting offers though... Penn St.? Tennessee? Georgia Tech? But no OU... :confused:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Josh-Richardson-104496

Yea, OU hasn't offered him but if they do, I think he will commit. We don't have a pressing need for a SG right now so that's why I think Capel never offered and why Kruger hasn't offered. LK may just hold on to the last schollie and give it to TJ or Honore. Both of them deserve it in my mind.

Collier11
4/11/2011, 09:10 PM
Capel had no choice but to fill slots after the 2 Dumb Azzes and Willie left

Soonerjeepman
4/11/2011, 10:24 PM
Capel had no choice but to fill slots after the 2 Dumb Azzes and Willie left

I agree that they were dumbazzes...but kindly disagree Capel had to "fill the slots"...not to bash a certain juco kid...but could have done without him, and the other freshman high recruit also left..(or was asked to leave..?..)...maybe 1 other juco....

just saying, I'd rather keep 2 open schollys then spend them on twinners....just my 2 cents worth.

yankee
4/11/2011, 10:54 PM
I agree that they were dumbazzes...but kindly disagree Capel had to "fill the slots"...not to bash a certain juco kid...but could have done without him, and the other freshman high recruit also left..(or was asked to leave..?..)...maybe 1 other juco....

just saying, I'd rather keep 2 open schollys then spend them on twinners....just my 2 cents worth.

We had like 4 or 5 scholarship players returning from the '09 team. Yes, we had to fill the slots with players.

And what exactly is a twinner?

Soonerjeepman
4/12/2011, 08:23 AM
my bad...tweener? tweiner? someone that isn't a major D1 player...I didn't say he shouldn't have given ANY ships...probably could have held 1 or 2 back....we'll just agree to disagree...

bri
4/13/2011, 04:43 PM
It's official; Sam's a Sooner. Signed on the dotted line this afternoon.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041311aab.html

StoopTroup
4/13/2011, 05:02 PM
Music NSFW so mute it Sam is #5

235f8yA4zVE

Salt City Sooner
4/17/2011, 04:36 PM
agreed at the depth...someone said Newell is more of a 2 guard so he could slide back over with Blair and this dude as the 1.

J Richardson seems like a good get...I think if we want him Krug will get him. Also read the top 10 guard for 2012 in Oklahoma (out of Ardmore, Jackson) has OU in his top 5 now...along with UNC, KU, Tex and Baylor.

Unless Krug pulls a ship we have 2...unless JUCO big man Goff doesn't come.
Sounding like this is the case, unfortunately. Hale is reporting that he's in deep doo-doo academically, & there's a tweet from a guy at the Wichita Eagle saying that Kruger's cut ties w/ him.

sooner518
4/18/2011, 07:52 AM
Sounding like this is the case, unfortunately. Hale is reporting that he's in deep doo-doo academically, & there's a tweet from a guy at the Wichita Eagle saying that Kruger's cut ties w/ him.

seems like everyone on this board has ripped on Goff bigtime. so if he doesnt make it, is it a big loss?