PDA

View Full Version : Potential 2-year rule in next CBA?

Soonerfan88
4/10/2011, 11:29 AM
New CBA could keep Doc’s son at Duke longer

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports Apr 8, 12:41 pm EDT

PORTLAND, Ore. – High school hoops phenom Austin Rivers can’t go a day without someone telling him that they’re looking forward to seeing him play in the NBA. He’s already getting harassed for tickets.

With the next NBA collective bargaining agreement up in the air, it’s also up in the air when the 18-year-old son of Boston Celtics head coach Doc Rivers will be eligible to go pro.

Several high-ranking NBA team executives told Yahoo! Sports they wouldn’t be surprised if the age limit in the new CBA is pushed to two years in college and 20 years old by the end of that calendar year. One NBA general manager says about two-thirds of teams are in favor of that change. The current CBA states that an American must be out of high school for at least one year and be 19 years old by the end of that calendar year before entering the draft.

Rivers, a Duke-bound shooting guard, says he is in no rush to leave for the NBA, but is disappointed about potentially losing the opportunity to make a choice.

“I don’t think it’s fair to a lot of guys who are ready to go,” Rivers said Thursday after practice at the Nike Hoop Summit. “We’re going to have guys in our class that are going to be ready to play after one year. There are certain people that are able to make that jump and you’re trying to tell them they can’t make that jump and they have to wait another year, risk another injury or something like that? At the end of the day it should be up to the player. It’s his life. It’s his choice. …

“You got baseball kids coming out of high school. [Basketball players] at least have to go to college, which we should. High school kids should go to college and get an education. But from there you should let them decide whether they are one or not.”

The 2005 NBA draft was the last year American players could arrive straight from high school. That draft included Andrew Bynum, Martell Webster, Gerald Green, Monta Ellis and Louis Williams. Current NBA stars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard and Amar’e Stoudemire all came straight from high school.

Rivers would be a top-10 prospect if eligible for this year’s draft and the No. 1 prospect next year, said two NBA general managers. The 6-foot-3, 175-pound guard averaged 30 points as a senior for Winter Park High (Fla.) this season. Rivals.com’s top-ranked player in the Class of 2011 is playing Saturday for Team USA in the Hoop Summit, which pits the top American high school seniors against the top international teens.

Doc Rivers has coached high school-to-pro players such as Green, Kendrick Perkins and Sebastian Telfair. He calls their journey to the NBA a “tough life.” But if the old rules were in place and Austin was eligible to go pro now, what would he suggest to his son? Rivers sounded conflicted.

“I do think college is important and basketball is important,” Doc Rivers said. “But growing up and maturing is really important for a kid. And guys [that] come out miss that part of it. For me, that would be a tough one. Having said that, if they’re good enough and they want to come out and go through with the draft, it’s hard to tell them no. In any other walk of life, the government, you get to go at whatever age you are accepted. But for us, there is an age limit.

“I agree with the limit and I think it’s good for the kid to mature. College is important for the simple fact that for the first time in your life you’re alone with no money and you got to figure it out. I always thought it will help me and help all these kids. But if you’re good enough and someone wants them now, it’s tough to argue against that as well. I can see both sides.”

Austin Rivers played pickup ball against such young NBA starting guards as Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, John Wall and DeMar DeRozan last summer in Los Angeles while preparing for a high school all-star game. That experience gave Rivers confidence that he has what it takes to compete in the NBA now.

“I really do feel like I can play against anybody,” Rivers said. “I’m not saying it in a cocky way. I’m not saying I can beat anybody. … I feel like I can go up against anybody and I’m not scared to go up against anybody. That is how my father raised me to be.”

Skipping school

A look at top 10 NBA draft picks who went from American high schools straight to the pros between 2000-2005.
Year Pick/Player Team
2005 No. 6 Martell Webster (Seattle Prep) Blazers
2005 No. 10 Andrew Bynum (St. Joseph, N.J.) Lakers
2004 No. 1 Dwight Howard (S.W. Atlanta Christian) Magic
2004 No. 4 Shaun Livingston (Peoria, Ill.) Clippers
2003 No. 1 LeBron James (St. Vin.-St. Mary, Ohio.) Cavaliers
2002 No. 9 Amar’e Stoudemire (Cy. Creek, Fla.) Suns
2001 No. 1 Kwame Brown (Glynn Academy, Ga.) Wizards
2001 No. 2 Tyson Chandler (Dominguez, Calif.) Clippers
2001 No. 4 Eddy Curry (Thornwood, Ill.) Bulls
2001 No. 8 DeSagana Diop (Oak Hill Academy, Va.) Cavaliers
2000 No. 3 Darius Miles (East St. Louis, Mo.) Clippers

I agree with this proposition simply because I don't think these kids are ready for all the NBA lifestyle entails. Yes, others have succeeded in the past but many of them rode the bench for a couple of years while earning big $$ the owners no longer want to play. And current players are always willing to hold off their replacements for another year.

HS phenoms still do not have to go to college. The NBDL only requires they be 18 and graduate HS. They also have options overseas. Baseball drafts out of HS because they need to fill minor league rosters. Other than the signing bonus, MLB doesn't lose a lot when gambling on these kids. If the organizations weren't making money off the minors, they would be eliminated and draft rules would change for them also.

sperry
4/10/2011, 02:13 PM
I agree with this proposition simply because I don't think these kids are ready for all the NBA lifestyle entails. Yes, others have succeeded in the past but many of them rode the bench for a couple of years while earning big $$ the owners no longer want to play. And current players are always willing to hold off their replacements for another year.

HS phenoms still do not have to go to college. The NBDL only requires they be 18 and graduate HS. They also have options overseas. Baseball drafts out of HS because they need to fill minor league rosters. Other than the signing bonus, MLB doesn't lose a lot when gambling on these kids. If the organizations weren't making money off the minors, they would be eliminated and draft rules would change for them also.

Allowing guys to go to the league so early kind of kills the point of the lottery. When you draft a guy 1 year out of HS, you get to pay him top dollar to develop for a few years, and when he's finally ready to be a big time player, the contract will be up and he'll move to a big market.

yermom
4/10/2011, 02:24 PM
penalizing them for being American sure sounds ****ty

OU_Sooners75
4/10/2011, 02:36 PM
Yermom, it is probably written like that because Europeans graduate between 18 to 19 years old where Americans graduate between 17-18.

StoopTroup
4/10/2011, 02:52 PM
Allowing them to play College ball when they can't read, write, add, subtract, multiply or divide, name the Capitol of the the State they were born in, Balance a checkbook.....

Those things seem a bit odd if they are in College.

I remember going to a preparatory school when I was young and asking "WTH are they preparing me for?". As a 6 foot White kid....I pretty much knew it wasn't for the NBA.

The reason a good number of them go to College is for the experience of playing against better competition. If you are better than everyone else and have the opportunity to go to the NBA but can't because you flunked out of College....you think it's stupid they make you stay or you make the most of it and take some classes.

IMO....the Colleges and Universities are trying to do the NBA a favor and teach these kids you can't avoid playing by the rules just because you can sink the rock from 75 feet out or dunk over 5 guys because your arms are made of rubber.

In turn Colleges make some dough and the competition at the NCAA level is improved and the NBA gets kids who are a bit more able to handle the success of the huge salary they are going to get and the amount of Fame they'll receive from playing in the NBA.

Doc Rivers Son has a jump on most by not only being talented but by having the opportunity to stay in School and not worry about having to help his Family by leaving the NBA for a huge salary. He does recognize some of the kids aren't as lucky and that they probably shouldn't even be required to go to College at all.

Drawing the line is difficult especially if a kid is being pressured by huge money to leave.

If the NBA is going to change the rule then get rid of it altogether and just let 16 year old High School Ballers to go to the NBA.

lubbocksooner
4/11/2011, 04:46 PM
The NBA and others are not the only professions to do this. So professional boards have a higher age limit than 20. There is nothing wrong with expecting a certain level of maturity for people in your profession/orginazation.

badger
4/11/2011, 04:56 PM
penalizing them for being American sure sounds ****ty

I think they'd also be worried about players lying about their age overseas. It's harder to lie about age in the U.S. compared with other countries.

As for prep vs pro, the baseball rule sounds best --- either go pro outta high school and get through the farm system, or stay in college three years.

I think the NBA was worried about the immature, spoiled image they were taking on with all of bratty teen players, bling, violence, unprofessional dress et al.

yankee
4/11/2011, 11:00 PM
The 1 year in college rule is an absolute joke. It would be great if they got rid of it. I think if you are a player coming out of high school you should be given 2 choices: A)Jump right into the NBA at your own risk. But I think having an advisory committee of sorts that would advise you on where you would probably be drafted and if you would EVEN be drafted, or B)If you choose the college route, you can only enter the draft after 2 years in college.

Just my 2 cents.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/12/2011, 08:24 AM
College basketball should use the same rules that college baseball does when it comes to the pros.

Soonerfan88
4/12/2011, 08:34 AM
The reason it works for baseball but wouldn't for basketball is the 3-level minor system. MLB has a lot more roster spots to fill than the NBA. I'm not an expert on professional contracts but think the NBA would need to redo the compensation structure. If you are drafted, even in the lottery, and sent to NBDL, you should not be guaranteed any more than the NBDL salary and not league minimum.

royalfan5
4/12/2011, 11:40 AM
I think the key thing about the baseball draft is that players don't declare for it. You are in if you are part of the eligible age ranges and a US resident. Why not have basketball adopt the same thing? Instead of declaring for the draft, the NBA will let you know if they think you are good enough, and the player can decide if the money is right at the time to leave.

yermom
4/12/2011, 11:42 AM
why doesn't the NFL do that?

OU_Sooners75
4/12/2011, 12:08 PM
why doesn't the NFL do that?

Because it isn't a pansy sport. :D

No, the NFL does the 3 year removed because this rule is suppose to protect young players from entering the league before they are physically and mentally prepare.

agoo758
4/12/2011, 02:37 PM
There are a lot of successful people who go into the workforce straight out of high school. It not like these kids are skipping basic arithmetic or writing, they are skipping extra education, like many people do. If these kids don't like college but have to go anyway, what are they going to do? Major in General Studies? Sounds like a waste to me. Or how about they go to college for two years as an undecided major only to quit to enter the draft? Seems to me that it is making the notion of quitting something halfway through permissible.

yermom
4/12/2011, 02:42 PM
i think the one-and-done rule messes with the college game too much. if you are going to college, go to college, if you are just waiting around to go to the NBA, what's the point of even going for one year or two?

JLEW1818
4/14/2011, 11:04 AM
college basketball will continue to get worse and worse... that is fact

Soonerfan88
4/14/2011, 11:11 AM
These kids don't HAVE to go to college. They can go straight to the NBDL, which only requires you be 18 and graduate from high school. They can also play professionally overseas if they really think they are mature enough to handle it.

Eielson
4/14/2011, 03:40 PM
These kids don't HAVE to go to college. They can go straight to the NBDL, which only requires you be 18 and graduate from high school. They can also play professionally overseas if they really think they are mature enough to handle it.

What would be the point in having them play overseas or in the NBDL rather than in the NBA?

Jason Alexander
4/14/2011, 04:02 PM
What would be the point in having them play overseas or in the NBDL rather than in the NBA?
Um, so they can make money without the hassle of college?