PDA

View Full Version : D-End Depth update

OK2U
4/9/2011, 01:14 AM
DEFENSIVE ENDS WATCH
Frank Alexander and Ronnell Lewis have all but solidified their starting spots at defensive end.
After them?
Ends coach Bobby Jack Wright said junior David King has separated from the pack as the “third guy.” But after that, it's wide open.
Freshman Geneo Grissom has been battling an ankle sprain, which has limited his participation.
Junior R.J. Washington had to sit out practice Thursday for an undisclosed injury.
“R.J. would be the fourth guy,” Wright said, but then expounded that, “he's not anywhere near where I need to be right now.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook-sooners-careful-with-austin-box/article/3556759#ixzz1J0IK9ZzP
R.J. looks ripped in the practice photos, but guess he's still lagging behind.
Do we add him to the "bust" column yet?

usaosooner
4/9/2011, 08:04 AM
If he doesn't get on the field this year, he will have been recruited over.. If he hasn't logged minutes this fall he is a bust.

Widescreen
4/9/2011, 09:25 AM
I agree. He should at least be able to get in the rotation by now. I realize you can't write someone off until they're actually gone - look at how much Price Macon contributed last year. But I don't believe Macon was recruited as some kind of superstar.

JLEW1818
4/9/2011, 09:51 AM
i still remember rumors of pulling his RS for the texas tech game in 2008.

I think CK Sooner started that rumor, so i doubt it was true.

IronHorseSooner
4/9/2011, 10:58 AM
He seems to finally be the size that he needs to be to play that role that Beal played the last few years. Is it just that he cannot grasp the schemes? I agree, he needs to show this now because guys like Grissom, Ndulue, and Hughes are going to go right past him.

In the rest of the article, I am really excited about the young depth that we have a safety. I have been really waiting to see what the H&H boys (Hayes and Haynes) would do. IIRC, James Haynes was a standout track star along with Trey Franks. It would be interesting to see him as a return man along with Franks. That would be some serious speed in the return game!

StoopTroup
4/9/2011, 11:04 AM
I don't think "WE" add him to anything.....it's the Coaches thing. I'm a guy that watches these things.....takes it all in and then once our first 4 games are played....the players shake out. The opposition you face really doesn't play favorites like the guy you line up against in practice might do.