PDA

View Full Version : Overton In The Rotation?

rysooner
4/8/2011, 09:42 AM
Listening to Sunny this morning, it sounded like he is thinking of moving Overton into the rotation in the Sunday slot and moving Smith up, thus sending Shore to the pen. I understand he maybe has "earned" a start by what he has done out of the pen, but it didn't work out real well before when he was in the starting slot and he seems much better out of the pen. I thought he would settle Overton in the long relief role, he sure seems to throw well in the position. To me, the long relief guy is key for the success, just as Erben was key last year.

bcolston15
4/8/2011, 11:22 AM
I just wonder if this move is out of necessity rather than choice. Shore is having arm trouble right noe isn't he?

Because, if Shore is healthy, you're absolutely right, Overton should stay in the long relief role.

TumbleweedDoom
4/8/2011, 11:29 AM
Totally agree. I'm not a big Shore fan, but he's looked better out there his last two times and, like RY said, the long relief guy is absolute key: we don't win Bedlam Tuesday without it.

But, if Shore isn't healthy, then it's probably best to swap the two for now and let Shore basically be long relief. I prefer it the other way around, though.

C&CDean
4/8/2011, 12:13 PM
I saw Shore rubbing the hell out of his shoulder the other day when Sunny took him out. You could tell it wasn't doing well. That being said, Overton has earned a chance to start again. If he screws the pooch, back to long relief.

bufsa
4/9/2011, 05:02 PM
If Shore is hurt isn't putting him in long relief the wrong thing to do? If you think he is healthy enough to get three or four innings out of him wouldn't you want it to be were he can warm up properly and be prepared preventing further injury? Coming out of the pen on a moments notice could cause him to throw not completly warm and not heal? Wouldn't it be smarter to give him time off to heal so he is ready agaianst Texas?