PDA

View Full Version : The GOP's Phony.......

BoomerJack
4/8/2011, 09:31 AM
.....Troop-Pay Ploy.

From MOTHER JONES earlier this AM.

By Adam Weinstein | Fri Apr. 8, 2011 12:14 AM PDT

House Republicans want you to know what this budget battle and government shutdown are all about: screwing soldiers over. Many service members live paycheck to paycheck on modest incomes, and if no budget agreement is reached after Friday, a good number of them may be serving in a war zone for no pay until the Hill denizens are done duking it out. Hence the new GOP meme [1], typified in Suzy Khimm's excellent shutdown update [2]:
Faulting Democrats for pushing the country toward a shutdown, Rep. C.W. Bill Young [3] (R-Fla.) noted that soldiers won't get paid unless there's a budget agreement. "You've got kids in the military serving in Afghanistan and Iraq whose wives are going to be wondering, 'Why didn't we get paid this month?'" Young said. "If they want that on their conscience, we're covered."...
When pressed about the bill's policy riders, however, House Republicans demurred—and simply continued bashing Democrats for harming America's troops. Asked whether the provisions were a dealbreaker, Rep. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) replied: "Not at this point. We're going to pay attention and see what happens." Instead, Scott—who's one of two freshmen elected to be part of the GOP leadership—reverted to the GOP's mantra of the day. If Obama's "vetoing the troops, that's his decision," Scott told Mother Jones. "If he's willing to leave the troops without a paycheck, that's his decision."
Republicans have stuck to this message with a singular discipline rarely seen since the heyday of Newt. Except this message doesn't pass the smell test. The very same GOP congressmen crying "save the troops" are the ones who've been playing politics with the livelihoods of our (largely underpaid) serving men and women: For more than a week, they've had a bill, proposed by one of their own, that would keep soldiers' paychecks flowing in a shutdown. And they've sat on it.
HR 1297, the Ensuring Pay for Our Military Act [4], was introduced back on March 31 by Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), with whom [5] we've had our fun [6] in the past [7]. "If Congress cannot pass a budget, it’s not right for these valiant warriors and their families to suffer through a late paycheck. This is about paying those who protect us and defend our freedom," Gohmert said in a much-ballyhooed rollout for the bill, which was covered by Fox News [8]. Cosponsoring the bill are 106 members of Congress, mostly conservative Republicans, and it has no amendments, no riders, no pork: It simply mandates that troop pay continue as it normally would, through the end of the year, even if the federal government faces a funding gap and shutdown.
Yet it hasn't been brought to the House floor for a vote. Gohmert hasn't mentioned his own bill publicly since April Fool's Day [9].
A GOP-led Congress ought to be able to pass a stripped-down, GOP-sponsored bill to fund troop salaries pretty easily. And since the bill's focus is so narrow, it shouldn't have much trouble getting approval from the Senate and President Obama. Yet HR 1297 languishes on the desks of the GOP-led committees on armed services and transportation and infrastructure, where it will stay "for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker."
So why can't Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) get together with the committee chairman and pass that bill? That's exactly what I hope to ask members of Congress (who'll still be getting paid) on Friday. But trying to paint Democrats as anti-troops would be a lot harder if the troops were actually getting paid, wouldn't it?
At least one GOP freshman congressman thinks that's the case. Rep. Allen West of Florida called his own party out [10] on Thursday for toying with military salaries. "The House majority has now placed the funding for the Department of Defense and the funding for the troops down as a bargaining chip," he said Wednesday. "I am disgusted at the perception that the leaders in my own party who did not move a defense bill earlier...are now using the men and women in uniform."
If Republican House leaders are putting politics above service members' welfare, it wouldn't be the first time...this week. Or even the second. On Wednesday, Democrats offered two different motions [1] that would have continued funding for military pay through December. On the first, offered by Rep. Bill Owens (D-N.Y.), only a single Republican crossed the aisle to vote for it. On the second, sponsored by Steny Hoyer, every GOPer voted no.
This is pretty standard operating procedure for GOPers in the House. Last month, I reported on how a Republican-run House subcommittee halted an Army plan [3] to stop buying unneeded Humvees and use the $862 billion in savings on equipment that would protect US bases in Afghanistan from mortar and rocket attacks. The leader of that subcommittee: Florida's C.W. Bill Young, who talked tough all day Wednesday about tossing soldiers' families a financial lifeline. Rather than protect soldiers downrange, he wanted them to take the unnecessary vehicles. Perhaps that's because AM General, the Humvee manufacturer, is one of his largest campaign donors, to the tune of $80,000 [3]. Which by itself is enough to pay a couple of infantry corporals.
But that's ancient history, as far as this Congress is concerned. The salient point, as we enter shutdown mode, is this: Republicans have had at least three opportunities this week to preserve the livelihoods of US service members and their families, while keeping the budget debate open. They had their moment. They had their chance. They have not led. [11]
Links:
[1] http://thinkprogress.org/2011/04/07/house-gop-troop-funding-cut/
[2] http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/government-shutdown-blame-gop
[3] http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/gop-house-panel-halts-gear-troops
[4] http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:h.r.1297:
[5] http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/08/rep-louie-gohmerts-terror-baby-meltdown
[6] http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/12/gohmert-military-american-values-video-dadt
[7] http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/03/gop-rep-wants-ban-election-senate-louie-gohmert-health-care-constitution-amendment-republican
[8] http://gohmert.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=233493
[9] http://gohmert.house.gov/News/DocumentQuery.aspx?DocumentTypeID=1953
[10] http://bit.ly/eZuj9K
[11] http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0ILeeBDgsBYJ:academic.csuohio.edu/kneuendorf/content/cpuca/bushspch.htm+%22they+had+their+chance.+they+have+n ot+led%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.goog le.com

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 09:35 AM
I don't really give a chit...

They were elected and are being paid to do a job...it will be another congressional incumbent bloodbath in the next elections....the Prez might be safe, depending on the economy...

Jammin'
4/8/2011, 09:44 AM
I stopped reading at "House Republicans want you to know" and will now try to summarize what I believe the rest said:

*Democrats bad, hate america, hate you specifically in ways you not even think of, whatever democrats say we disagree
*we republicans never bad, we good, we think you should think like we. we confused why you don't agree exactly the same as we.
*in closing: Democrats, boo.

On a sidenote, I was unaware that republicans were really 1880s injuns.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 09:47 AM
I stopped reading at "House Republicans want you to know" and will now try to summarize what I believe the rest said:

*Democrats bad, hate america, hate you specifically in ways you not even think of, whatever democrats say we disagree
*we republicans never bad, we good, we think you should think like we. we confused why you don't agree exactly the same as we.
*in closing: Democrats, boo.

On a sidenote, I was unaware that republicans were really 1880s injuns.

You probably should have kept reading.

Jammin'
4/8/2011, 09:48 AM
You probably should have kept reading.

If I switch Republicans and Democrats am I right?

Sooner98
4/8/2011, 09:50 AM
If I switch Republicans and Democrats am I right?

Yes.

You must have missed the multiple links to Mother Jones and Think Progress.

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 09:51 AM
Think Progress and Mother Jones... Oh brother....

In other words, the Repubs in the House have done their job and passed a bill, but we don't like it. Let us take the last sentence of the article and look at the facts.

They have not led.

Ok, here we go.

April 15, 2010 – The Democrat-run Congress misses the deadline under the Congressional Budget Act to complete action on a FY11 budget. Both the House and the Senate, each under Democratic majorities, fail to even offer a budget proposal.

June 22, 2010 – Democrats officially punt and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) admits the House won’t propose a 2011 budget, leaving the tough choices for another day. For the first time in modern history, the House of Representatives will fail to even consider a budget for the following fiscal year.

September 30, 2010 –The Democrat-run Congress approves the first of several short-term measures to keep the government running – this one through December 3. In the coming months Democrats would fail to pass a long-term funding measure, eventually punting spending decisions until March 4, 2011 – during the next Congress.

February 19, 2011 – The Republican-led House passes H.R. 1, legislation that cuts spending and keeps the government running for the rest of this fiscal year.

It is important to stop here for a moment.. The house passed a bill to fund the government until the end of the year in mid February. Where is Harry Reid and the Senate? Why hasn't this been voted on, or a proposal come back from the Senate?

March 1, 2011 – The Senate refuses to pass a bill to fund the government for the rest of the fiscal year, so the House passes legislation cutting $4 billion in spending over two weeks to give Senate Democrats more time to pass a bill of their own or offer a credible plan to cut spending.

March 15, 2011 – With the White House not engaged and the Senate failing to pass a bill or offer a credible plan, the House passes another measure giving Senate Democrats three more weeks to get serious while cutting another $6 billion. The deadline for action is now April 8.

March 17, 2011 – Politico says Democratic lawmakers “aren’t sure whether the White House even has a position on a long-term spending bill.”

March 30, 2011 – Freshmen Republican lawmakers begin rallying outside the Capitol, urging the Senate to do its job and “pass a bill.” Democrats tell reporters they finally have a plan, so Speaker Boehner calls on them to “pass the damn thing … instead of sitting over there and rooting for a government shutdown.” They don’t.

TODAY, April 5, 2011 – In lieu of an agreement in which the White House and Senate agree to real spending cuts, House Republicans introduced a potential continuing resolution that funds our troops through September while cutting an additional $12 billion in spending and keeps the government running for another week.

It takes willful ignorance to look at the facts and blame the current situation on the Repubs.

There is a reason that Harry Reid is sitting on EVERYTHING that the House has sent up.. He and the President are afraid it will pass. There are Dems in the Senate that have tough reelection bids in two years and would probably vote for spending cuts. Harry doesn't want to risk it.. Better to let the government shut down and hope the Repubs get blamed for it.

Oh, and on a side note, Senator Hutchinson introduced "Ensuring Pay for Our Military Act of 2011, S. 724" a couple of days ago in the Senate. It has several Dems as cosponsors.

Guess what bill Harry Reid has not scheduled for a vote?

They have not led.

Indeed.

Jammin'
4/8/2011, 09:52 AM
Yes.

You must have missed the multiple links to Mother Jones and Think Progress.

Ah, I went back and read it as I'm never one to turn down Lizards advice.

Turns out either way I would have written it is correct. Shocking.

Jammin'
4/8/2011, 09:53 AM
SAVE US THE!!!!!

The
4/8/2011, 10:04 AM
SAVE US THE!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/K4VS.jpg

texaspokieokie
4/8/2011, 10:10 AM
Looky, there's "the" between those elephants !!!