PDA

View Full Version : 7.4 quake hits Japan!

TIMB0B
4/7/2011, 10:16 AM
TOKYO – Japan was rattled by a strong aftershock and tsunami warning Thursday night nearly a month after a devastating earthquake and tsunami flattened the northeastern coast.

The Japan meteorological agency issued a tsunami warning for a wave of up to 6 feet (two meters). The warning was issued for a coastal area already torn apart by last month's tsunami, which is believed to have killed some 25,000 people and has sparked an ongoing crisis at a nuclear power plant.

Officials say Thursday's aftershock was a 7.4-magnitude and hit 25 miles (40 kilometers) under the water and off the coast of Miyagi prefecture. The quake that preceded last month's tsunami was a 9.0-magnitude.

Buildings as far away as Tokyo shook for about a minute.

Read more at link...

Earthquake hits Japan...AGAIN! 7.4 Magnitude (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake)

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2011, 10:17 AM
they're fine people, no need to worry

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 10:24 AM
Homey is just trying to figure out how he can sue a Tsunami.

JLEW1818
4/7/2011, 10:34 AM
unreal

okie52
4/7/2011, 10:36 AM
What ever they have left standing certainly has passed the earthquake test.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/7/2011, 10:36 AM
Can't catch a break

JLEW1818
4/7/2011, 10:37 AM
Tsunami warning issued.

Boomer.....
4/7/2011, 10:52 AM
Poor people

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 10:54 AM
downgraded to 7.1...fwiw.

Still a major earthquake.

Someone must be pissed at Japan!

KuppiKunta
4/7/2011, 10:57 AM
Can it really be an "aftershock" if it was a month later? Wouldn't that just make it an earthquake?

JLEW1818
4/7/2011, 11:00 AM
Update at 11: 57 a.m. ET: NHK World TV reports that all tsunami alerts have been lifted.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 11:00 AM
downgraded to 7.1...fwiw.

Still a major earthquake.

Someone must be pissed at Japan!

A dude on my facebook after the first one quoted the verse in the bible where it says something like "go to all nations and spread my name". He said maybe we weren't doing that enough with japan so god's punishing them.....Seriously? I was pissed. He just got assistant preacher job at a major church on the south side....what an idiot, I can't believe he'll be spewing his bs to people who'll follow what he says blindly.

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 11:03 AM
Can it really be an "aftershock" if it was a month later? Wouldn't that just make it an earthquake?

Well, technically aftershocks are earthquakes. :P

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 11:18 AM
WOW, where in the hell does CNN get these idiots?

Chad Meyers:

With a 9.0 you will get aftershocks for 6 months maybe up to a year. With the biggest aftershock being as big as an 8.0, one full magnitude smaller than the first one. That one hasn't happened yet.

This was only a 7.1, I say only because I want to put this in perspective. It was closer to the coast. Maybe just a little more shaking. It was deeper, so maybe a little more buffering, less shaking. But, compared to the 9.0, this one was 79 times smaller. It put out 708 times less energy than the tsunami making 9.0...

...This was a big quake because it was close to the coast, but it wasn't anything compared to the quake that happened three weeks ago.
First of all....

http://www.liquidpoker.net/user_pictures/ce00f.ORLY_Mexican.jpg

Second of all, it has been 4 weeks, not 3 weeks.

picasso
4/7/2011, 02:11 PM
There's been over 500 of them since the tsunami.

2121Sooner
4/7/2011, 02:24 PM
I pray they are ok.

I have contributed locally for a orphanage in Japan. I pray we all think of our fellow man/woman and do the same.

God speed to all the volunteers over there doing such amazing work

TheHumanAlphabet
4/7/2011, 08:08 PM
Well, I slept through it. The bed swayed and the room popped a bit, I thought it was a storm and rain was hitting the window. Woke up and found out it was an earthquake.

Yeah, and the 6 beers and 2 scotches last night at the pub probably didn't help out for me rcognizing what it was as well... :eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
4/7/2011, 08:10 PM
WOW, where in the hell does CNN get these idiots?

Chad Meyers:

First of all....

http://www.liquidpoker.net/user_pictures/ce00f.ORLY_Mexican.jpg

Second of all, it has been 4 weeks, not 3 weeks.

I'm guessing Mr newsreader and miss newsgatherer probably don't do too well trying to interpret logarithmic scales.

StoopTroup
4/7/2011, 10:36 PM
It probably helps reduce the concentration of radioactive water in the Ocean. Kind of like letting the ice melt in a large container of margaritas.

If you drank it all you'd be hammered but if you drank the watered down stuff when it runs out....your gonna need a few shots of the hard stuff to be totally Rad. :D

AlbqSooner
4/8/2011, 05:59 AM
Their luck is about like the '09 Sooner Football team.