PDA

View Full Version : Kruger = Stoops

Soonerjeepman
4/6/2011, 09:52 PM
Sounds just like Stoops...really warming up to the hire...

Lon Kruger preached a style of basketball that placed a high value on assists.

He wanted his players to apply the concept off the court as well.

I put in a call Tuesday to D.J. Allen, UNLV's senior associate athletic director of external affairs. Kruger and Allen teamed up a couple years ago on a book titled, "The Xs & Os of Success: A Playbook for Leaders in Business and Life ."

Asked to share his favorite Kruger story, Allen said he had accompanied the Rebels coach to a community event one evening about three years ago.

The evening was over and they were driving down Charleston Boulevard, near University Medical Center, when Kruger asked Allen if they could make a brief stop.

They pulled into a life care center near UMC, and Kruger led them through a side door and into a patient's room.

Nurses acknowledged Kruger like he was a fixture.

As it turns out, he was, Allen said.

The young man Kruger was visiting was a die-hard Rebels fan and a quadriplegic.

"He was able to speak, and he used his mouth to operate a computer," Allen recalled.

Back in the car, Allen asked if he could get the story out.

Kruger declined.

With Kruger heading for the University of Oklahoma job, Allen figures he's not speaking out of turn.

There was more to the story. Kruger took players to the care center, too, "to learn and appreciate all the blessings they had in their lives."

"But he wanted no publicity at all," Allen said.

Possible recruit...LOCAL kid..

Sooners to offer Edmond Santa Fe’s Josh Richardson?
http://ouhoops.com/?p=5969

LiveLaughLove
4/6/2011, 11:00 PM
Excellent!

badger
4/7/2011, 09:47 AM
What I like is that as soon as Kruger took the job, he called Blake and said "I'll be at the Clippers-Thunder game Wednesday and would love to talk."

And they did. It was shown on TV. They seemed to be hitting it off.

Here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/articlepath.aspx?articleid=11115&b=1)'s an article on Blake's perspective.

JLEW1818
4/7/2011, 10:08 AM
needs to have us in the tourney in year 2

badger
4/7/2011, 10:15 AM
year 2? how bout year 0 - I don't like to wait ;)

Soonerjeepman
4/7/2011, 12:24 PM
What I like is that as soon as Kruger took the job, he called Blake and said "I'll be at the Clippers-Thunder game Wednesday and would love to talk."

And they did. It was shown on TV. They seemed to be hitting it off.

Here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/articlepath.aspx?articleid=11115&b=1)'s an article on Blake's perspective.

yeah read that...I like he's sticking a hand out to ALL the old coaches and players....maybe we'll haul in Skeeter and Grant's kids...

badger
4/7/2011, 12:43 PM
Couldn't hurt :D

SoonerMom2
4/7/2011, 12:52 PM
He said in the press conference that he has also talked to Kelvin Sampson who called him. I think it is great he is not only reaching out to former players and coaches but he is hitting the recruiting trail this afternoon to sit down with the recruit we are getting from Kansas to make sure he is still on board. The energy I saw in him at the press conference and one on one with Toby Rowland is AWESOME! The clip from the first practice showed two of his assitants running the workout and the players seemed to be having fun and really like him.

Soonerjeepman
4/7/2011, 01:03 PM
Steve Henson was a helluva a player for ksu...very blue collar worker guy...

bornnbredou
4/7/2011, 05:11 PM
why hasnt josh richardson been offered from OU yet? seems like a no brainer offer to me. Local kid, great shooting and rebounding in highschool. apparently not the primadonna type either. and we desperately need help at every position, its not like he would play somewhere we are stacked.

Jason Alexander
4/7/2011, 05:53 PM
Every year there are one or two great HS players in the state and with the exception of Blake, OU hasn't been able to get these players lately. I hope Kruger will change that.

Was Tyler Neal the best player in OK last year?

Soonerjeepman
4/7/2011, 06:31 PM
why hasnt josh richardson been offered from OU yet? seems like a no brainer offer to me. Local kid, great shooting and rebounding in highschool. apparently not the primadonna type either. and we desperately need help at every position, its not like he would play somewhere we are stacked.

I posted a link on the bottom...of that article...OUHoops is saying Kruger is talking to him Thursday...that is the first day of contact...we just had a dead period...(during which Kruger was hired)...obviously Capel didn't see anything..not dissin him...just saying Capel didn't offer...