PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap, Thailand!

Chuck Bao
4/6/2011, 02:08 PM
I have mentioned before about anti-democracy groups. These are excerpts from an editorial in the Bangkok Post today which really does get to the point. Honestly, it scares the crap out of me. Thailand’s leading English language newspaper, frankly speaking, is normally pretty limp wristed and the paper is owned by some of the large business groups who do not like to make waves on politics. This op-ed piece basically is calling out Thais to stand up for democracy. It’s pretty chilling from where I sit.

Without general elections, catastrophe!
Published: 6/04/2011

I never thought there would be a need to defend the absolute necessity for the expected upcoming elections to actually take place and for their outcome to be recognized and respected by all.

Unfortunately, we are seeing signs of a rather sinister movement to derail the elections and subvert democratic procedures, obviously enjoying the backing of some highly influential people.

First we had Election Commissioner Sodsri Satayathum stating that an election is not desirable at this time. Then two key leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy, started advocating that Thailand should "go without an election for four to five years to get all systems properly adjusted before calling an election". In the event of an election, the two are calling on the public to mark the "no vote" box on ballot papers.

In my view, army chief Gen Prayuth Chanocha's assurances that the military supports the elections and will not stage a coup, while welcome, are not fully reassuring.

The anti-election advocates seem to envision some kind of national government that would clean up Thai politics and restore order to the country. With the present degree of political activism and political polarization in Thai society, if these advocates have their way, the consequences to our country will be absolutely devastating.

We will be facing disturbances and civil war similar to what is happening in Libya, political genocide, isolation from the international community, economic and social disaster.

Of course I know all the arguments against "Thai democracy": "Elections won't solve our problems." "Appointed governments have achieved better results than elected governments." The unsolvable problems of corrupt politicians, vote-buying, self-interest, etc, etc.

I'm not pretending that the upcoming elections will result in major reforms of our society or lead to quick political reconciliation.

But at least they will help to indicate the wishes of the people and set the scene for political dialogue with a view to future political reconciliation and agreements on constitutional reforms.

Not only do the elections need to take place, but their results need to be respected by all.

Members of the public of all political colors who support the democratic system (I'm sure this is the overwhelming majority) need to voice strong support for free and fair elections.

yermom
4/6/2011, 02:27 PM
meh.

what have our elections gotten us in the last few decades?

what does it matter if you are voting between a giant doosh and a turd sandwich?

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 02:36 PM
I think it's really sad you think that way, yermom. I think it's even more sad that it's not a crazy point of view.

Chuck Bao
4/6/2011, 02:38 PM
meh.

what have our elections gotten us in the last few decades?

what does it matter if you are voting between a giant doosh and a turd sandwich?

DUDE!!! Are you listening to yourself? What would happen in the US if someone just decided to scrap the US presidential election because the two candidates were too craptastic? Maybe you are right about the poor choices and the total slime balls that do get elected. At least you have the right to choose.

Spring
4/6/2011, 02:40 PM
I have mentioned before about anti-democracy groups. These are excerpts from an editorial in the Bangkok Post today which really does get to the point. Honestly, it scares the crap out of me. Thailand’s leading English language newspaper, frankly speaking, is normally pretty limp wristed and the paper is owned by some of the large business groups who do not like to make waves on politics. This op-ed piece basically is calling out Thais to stand up for democracy. It’s pretty chilling from where I sit.

http://www.affordablegeeks.com/panda.gif

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 02:44 PM
I much prefer electing the guy with a Billion Dollar War chest over the Guy that wants to just change the Constitution and do away with the Senate because they decided it was best.

yermom
4/6/2011, 02:47 PM
DUDE!!! Are you listening to yourself? What would happen in the US if someone just decided to scrap the US presidential election because the two candidates were too craptastic? Maybe you are right about the poor choices and the total slime balls that do get elected. At least you have the right to choose.

okay, so i'm being hyperbolic, but still. there is a little nugget of truth in "elections don't solve anything"

honestly, in 2000 i would have rather seen Clinton stay in office than have to choose between the two that we had to choose from at the time (when South Park allegorically had an election between a doosh and turd sandwich)

i think this two party system we have gives us a false image of choice and just lets the groups play good-cop bad-cop on us and let us think they are on our side

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 02:50 PM
Agreed. Our Democracy sucks, but it's 10x better than no choice at all.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 03:46 PM
I would think any newspaper called "frankly speaking" would be a pretty cool source of information.

Chuck Bao
4/6/2011, 07:47 PM
I would think any newspaper called "frankly speaking" would be a pretty cool source of information.

Are you really that dimwitted? Sometimes I really wonder. Start reading two sentences before and you will see that I am referring to a Bankok Post op-ed piece.

Awww hell, that op-ed piece has now been deleted from the Bangkok Post online site.

I guess someone important decided not to promote the call to arms for pro-democracy supporters. Instead, it is replaced with this one today. Ha, "binding social contract" indeed.

Putting to rest coup rumors
Published: 7/04/2011 at 12:00am

Supreme Commander Songkitti Jaggabatara's public announcement on Tuesday that there would definitely be no coup d'etat, was unprecedented but very welcome. He made the statement in the presence of the top commanders of the three armed forces.

General Songkitti said the military remains supportive of democratic rule and operates under the Constitution. He added that if any military officers attempted to stage a coup, they would be regarded as rebels. The military would not involve itself in the politics of the general election.

This unified voice promising no coup from the country's four ranking military commanders, can be regarded as more than an official announcement; it is a binding "social contract" on the part of the military, establishing its viewpoint on the coup issue once and for all.

It gives us at least the assurance that the general election will proceed successfully and not be sabotaged by a putsch.

As far as the military is concerned, the "no coup" statement should be a boon to itself. For the past several months, the capital has been abuzz with one rumour after another of an impending coup to overthrow the Abhisit government and, lately, to pre-empt the upcoming election in order to pave way for the coming into office of a royally-appointed government under Section 7 of the Constitution. Rumor mongers appeared to have a field day churning out coup rumors, with the last one more outlandish than the one before, sowing confusion among the public.

Repeated denials from individual military top brass, including Gen Prayuth, all failed to convince the public.

Chuck Bao
4/6/2011, 07:58 PM
I also want to add that whoever wrote that original op-ed piece is my hero. He may be in a lot of trouble now, but he is my hero for coming out with such a brave editorial. I will have to ask my journalist friends his name since the article is already wiped out of the Bangkok Post website.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 08:14 PM
Are you really that dimwitted?

You have zilch sense of humor.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 08:14 PM
I also want to add that whoever wrote that original op-ed piece is my dead hero.

FIFY

Chuck Bao
4/6/2011, 08:19 PM
Leroy, you are a meanie, poopie head, end of story, the end.