PDA

View Full Version : Energy for America?

okie52
4/6/2011, 11:33 AM
EDITORIAL: Obama’s energy plan: A starvation diet

Exasperated Americans blocked from land of plenty

Here’s a fact President Obama doesn’t want you to know: America’s collective energy resources have no equal. Despite a half-hearted promise last week to do something about skyrocketing gas prices, the president has walled off the nation’s conventional energy resources while promoting purported “sustainability” over affordability. That’s something to keep in mind while watching the dollar digits flash by at the gas pump. It doesn’t have to be that way.

A recent Congressional Research Service (CRS) report found American fossil-fuel reserves exceed those of Saudi Arabia, China and Canada combined. Only Russia possesses resources that come close to America’s. The O Force wants you to think we’ve run out of oil at home, but it’s just not so. According to CRS, the United States possesses 135 billion barrels of recoverable oil. That’s enough, at the current rate of consumption, to replace Persian Gulf oil for the next 50 years. Our country also has 262 billion tons of recoverable coal - 28 percent of the world’s total and enough to last several centuries. Natural-gas deposits are pegged at about 2,047 trillion cubic feet, or enough to last about a hundred years. With technological advances, it may be possible to access other energy sources such as methane hydrate, which is methane locked in ice, unlocking a supply that would last 400 years

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/5/obamas-energy-plan-a-starvation-diet/

A natural gas bill is supposed to go before congress today although I don't know what it contains. It will be interesting to see how it fares.

okie52
4/6/2011, 11:48 AM
Here it is:

April 06, 2011 12:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time
2011 NAT GAS Act Introduced: Congress Can Make a Difference, According to NGVAmerica

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--If Congress is serious about reducing the country’s dependence on foreign oil, members should support a bill introduced today that encourages more Americans to fuel their vehicles with domestically produced natural gas, says the president of NGVAmerica, the trade association the represents the natural gas vehicle industry.

“Heavy-duty vehicles account for about 25% of all the on-road fuel consumed in this country, so moving more of these vehicles to natural gas can make the fastest impact on reducing our dependency on foreign oil.”
.The New Alternative Transportation to Give Americans Solutions of 2011 was introduced today by Reps. John Sullivan, R-OK, Dan Boren, D-OK, John Larson, D-CT, and Kevin Brady, R-TX. The bill, H. R. 1380, had 76 original co-sponsors when it was introduced.

“This comprehensive legislation is driven by the need for America to quickly reduce its dependence on foreign oil while simultaneously reducing greenhouse gases and urban pollution,” says Richard Kolodziej, president of NGVAmerica. “We commend Representatives Sullivan, Boren, Larson, and Brady for recognizing that it will take real commitment at the national level to move our country off our addiction to oil quickly.”

The bill provides incentives for the use of natural gas as a vehicle fuel; the purchase of natural gas fueled vehicles; and the installation of natural gas vehicle refueling property. Each of these incentives would be in place for five years.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110406006372/en/2011-NAT-GAS-Act-Introduced-Congress-Difference

Looks promising. Hope it passes.

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 11:55 AM
Either way we've got about 100 years left of this crap, then someone's going to have to figure some **** out real fast.

okie52
4/6/2011, 11:59 AM
Hopefully we might develop a real energy plan in that time along with some technological breakthroughs.

Hopefully wind, solar and other alternative energy sources will be developed.

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 12:31 PM
If you don't understand why all this is happening....it's probably because most folks don't GAS. They should but they don't. They just want 99 cent gas again

okie52
4/6/2011, 02:10 PM
Well those days of 99cent gas are over. Striving for energy independence should be the goal.

What people should give a sheet about is how our addiction to ME oil dictates our foreign policy.

My Opinion Matters
4/6/2011, 02:13 PM
Well those days of 99cent gas are over. Striving for energy independence should be the goal.

What people should give a sheet about is how our addiction to ME oil dictates our foreign policy.

Pshh. I'm an Ameican. Irresponsible consumption is my god-given right!

okie52
4/6/2011, 02:16 PM
And, as an oily, I fully support that right.

OklahomaTuba
4/6/2011, 02:40 PM
I'd rather drill for Domestic Natural Gas than strip mine ecuador for lithium just so some pseudo environmentalists feel better about themselves.

OUDoc
4/6/2011, 02:43 PM
I'd rather drill for Domestic Natural Gas than strip mine ecuador for lithium just so some pseudo environmentalists feel better about themselves.

Can't we do both?;)

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 02:44 PM
We should just invent hovercars that run on water already. Sheesh, scientists.

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 02:54 PM
Why can't I just jet pack to work yet?

0mjUZEsduIE

Chuck Bao
4/6/2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah! Right on! And, the US government should subsidize a natural gas pipeline network to be built in southern Oklahoma to tap into some of those reserves. I am getting tired of just sitting on my resources.

sappstuf
4/6/2011, 02:58 PM
Why can't I just jet pack to work yet?

0mjUZEsduIE

Well played...

I raise you a kid in a jetpack to Peter Griffin on Family Guy with a jetpack.... In German.

NtEwiUo0urM&

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 03:12 PM
I raise you with....

Vfht9TRBnhc&NR=1&feature=fvwp

AlboSooner
4/6/2011, 05:54 PM
Either way we've got about 100 years left of this crap, then someone's going to have to figure some **** out real fast.

Good point. But wouldn't you rather spend that 100 year worth of money on US soil, rather than overseas?

okie52
4/6/2011, 07:06 PM
Eliminating foreign oil would basically eliminate our trade deficit.

usmc-sooner
4/6/2011, 07:10 PM
natural gas is cheaper, cleaner and we don't have to rely on buying foreign oil. Which we really don't have to, but we do.

soonercruiser
4/6/2011, 09:47 PM
Can't we do both?;)

Strip mine the environmentalists????
:eek:

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 08:03 AM
I saw this study that was done for the BBC on wind power in England.. I didn't really want to start a new thread, so I will dump it on Okie's thread!

PRINCIPAL FINDINGS

in respect of analysis of electricity generation from all the U.K. windfarms which are metered by National Grid, November 2008 to December 2010. The following five statements are common assertions made by both the wind industry and Government representatives and agencies. This Report examines those assertions.

1. “Wind turbines will generate on average 30% of their rated capacity over a year.”

2. “The wind is always blowing somewhere.”

3. “Periods of widespread low wind are infrequent.”

4. “The probability of very low wind output coinciding with peak electricity demand is slight.”

5. “Pumped storage hydro can fill the generation gap during prolonged low wind periods.”

This analysis uses publicly available data for a 26 month period between November 2008 and December 2010 and the facts in respect of the above assertions are:

1. Average output from wind was 27.18% of metered capacity in 2009, 21.14% in 2010, and 24.08% between November 2008 and December 2010 inclusive.

2. There were 124 separate occasions from November 2008 till December 2010 when total generation from the windfarms metered by National Grid was less than 20MW. (Average capacity over the period was in excess of 1600MW).

3. The average frequency and duration of a low wind event of 20MW or less between November 2008 and December 2010 was once every 6.38 days for a period of 4.93 hours.

4. At each of the four highest peak demands of 2010 wind output was low being respectively 4.72%, 5.51%, 2.59% and 2.51% of capacity at peak demand.

5. The entire pumped storage hydro capacity in the UK can provide up to 2788MW for only 5 hours then it drops to 1060MW, and finally runs out of water after 22 hours.

OTHER FINDINGS have emerged in the course of this analysis in addition to the Principal Findings which related to the testing of five common assertions. These Other Findings are listed below.

1. During the study period, wind generation was:

* below 20% of capacity more than half the time;

* below 10% of capacity over one third of the time;

* below 2.5% capacity for the equivalent of one day in twelve;

* below 1.25% capacity for the equivalent of just under one day a month.

The discovery that for one third of the time wind output was less than 10% of capacity, and often significantly less than 10%, was an unexpected result of the analysis.

2. Among the 124 days on which generation fell below 20MW were 51 days when generation was 10MW or less. In some ways this is an unimportant statistic because with 20MW or less output the contribution from wind is effectively zero, and a few MW less is neither here nor there. But the very existence of these events and their frequency – on average almost once every 15 days for a period of 4.35 hours – indicates that a major reassessment of the capacity credit of wind power is required.

3. Very low wind events are not confined to periods of high pressure in winter. They can occur at any time of the year.

4. The incidence of high wind and low demand can occur at any time of year. As connected wind capacity increases there will come a point when no more thermal plant can be constrained off to accommodate wind power. In the illustrated 30GW connected wind capacity model with “must-run” thermal generation assumed to be 10GW, this scenario occurs 78 times, or 3 times a month on average. This indicates the requirement for a major reassessment of how much wind capacity can be tolerated by the Grid.

5. The frequency of changes in output of 100MW or more over a five minute period was surprising. There is more work to be done to determine a pattern, but during March 2011, immediately prior to publication of this report, there were six instances of a five minute rise in output in excess of 100MW, the highest being 166MW, and five instances of a five minute drop in output in excess of 100MW, the highest being 148MW. This indicates the requirement for a re-assessment of the potential for increased wind capacity to simulate the instantaneous loss (or gain) of a large thermal plant.

6. The volatility of wind was underlined in the closing days of March 2011 as this Report was being finalised.

* At 3.00am on Monday 28th March, the entire output from 3226MW capacity was 9MW

* At 11.40am on Thursday 31st March, wind output was 2618MW, the highest recorded to date

* The average output from wind in March 2011 was 22.04%

* Output from wind in March 2011 was 10% of capacity or less for 30.78% of the time.

The nature of wind output has been obscured by reliance on “average output” figures. Analysis of hard data from National Grid shows that wind behaves in a quite different manner from that suggested by study of average output derived from the Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs) record, or from wind speed records which in themselves are averaged. It is clear from this analysis that wind cannot be relied upon to provide any significant level of generation at any defined time in the future. There is an urgent need to re-evaluate the implications of reliance on wind for any significant proportion of our energy requirement.

diverdog
4/8/2011, 08:16 AM
Here it is:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110406006372/en/2011-NAT-GAS-Act-Introduced-Congress-Difference

Looks promising. Hope it passes.

It will take a decade to get all this online if not longer. I still think conservation is our best way to attack this problem in the immediate future.

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 08:17 AM
Wind will not save us one drop of oil...CO2, yes....oil, no....

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 08:18 AM
It will take a decade to get all this online if not longer. I still think conservation is our best way to attack this problem in the immediate future.

My man DD!

Good to hear from ya!

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 08:25 AM

I was just surprised at how unreliable wind power was. I would think it would be better in Texas than England, but I doubt anyone has looked at it.

Using average outputs is an obvious scam.

My heads on fire, but my feet are covered with ice....

Average skin temperature.. 98.6.. I'm fine!!

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 08:30 AM
I was just surprised at how unreliable wind power was. I would think it would be better in Texas than England, but I doubt anyone has looked at it.

Using average outputs is an obvious scam.

My heads on fire, but my feet are covered with ice....

Average skin temperature.. 98.6.. I'm fine!!

The numbers are lower than I expected but not surprisingly so....

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 08:38 AM
The numbers are lower than I expected but not surprisingly so....

Just seems like a lot of money for something that is below 20% of capacity for over half the time and below 10% a third of the time.

If I owned a wind farm, I think I would be doing what the solar farmers in Spain were doing... Hooking up diesel generators and increasing output to get more of that subsidized government money!

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 08:41 AM
Never a doubt in my mind that they are not efficient or cost effective...

okie52
4/8/2011, 09:41 AM

Obviously this should have been done 10 years ago. To get vehicles converted and develop distribution points it is going to take time but we have to start some time (and it is a whole lot better investment than ethanol). Many home fueling stations can be created.

Conservation should always be encouraged but that alone won't get us there.

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 09:58 AM
Obviously this should have been done 10 years ago. To get vehicles converted and develop distribution points it is going to take time but we have to start some time (and it is a whole lot better investment than ethanol). Many home fueling stations can be created.

Hell.. Even the NYTimes appears to be jumping off the biofuel bandwagon..

Rush to Use Crops as Fuel Raises Food Prices and Hunger Fears (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/science/earth/07cassava.html?_r=1&hp)

Who would have thought that using food for means other than food would raise food prices??

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 09:59 AM

Short haul fleet trucking and delivery fleets should change over first...they can have on refueling station for the fleet...

Small commuter vehicles that don't require a lot of range will also be in the mix.....

But you are correct...10 years or more before we see any real impact...

texaspokieokie
4/8/2011, 10:01 AM
Short haul fleet trucking and delivery fleets should change over first...they can have on refueling station for the fleet...

Small commuter vehicles that don't require a lot of range will also be in the mix.....

all the more reason to start ASAP.

okie52
4/8/2011, 10:01 AM
Hell.. Even the NYTimes appears to be jumping off the biofuel bandwagon..

Who would have thought that using food for means other than food would raise food prices??

I wonder if it affected liquor prices?;)

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 10:06 AM
all the more reason to start ASAP.

I agree..

I will make a prediction...

When the final numbers shake out and we find that TBP has made several billion dollars a chit storm will develop....

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 10:07 AM

Was it about 10 years ago that the drilling in ANWR debate was going on? That would have been nice to have in our back pocket right now..

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 10:09 AM
I wonder if it affected liquor prices?;)

From personal research, I know a bottle of Grey Goose has gone up about $7 on base in the past couple of years. Forcing me to drink Smirnoff... Outrageous.

okie52
4/8/2011, 10:12 AM
Was it about 10 years ago that the drilling in ANWR debate was going on? That would have been nice to have in our back pocket right now..

If I remember correctly the repub congress in the late 90's approved opening ANWR for drilling only to have Clinton veto it.

A lot of that would be online now.

okie52
4/8/2011, 10:16 AM

Yep, the localized urban fleets can make the easiest conversion. I would think all school systems could put their buses on it and save a chitload.

Home fueling stations could help expedite the transition once people believe in the long term commitment to NG.

Probably good to go with Bifuel vehicles, too, in the early years until distribution points are better established.

okie52
4/8/2011, 10:17 AM
From personal research, I know a bottle of Grey Goose has gone up about $7 on base in the past couple of years. Forcing me to drink Smirnoff... Outrageous.

Yes, I have had to move down to sky for my daily consumption. If its a vodka martini I still go with Stoli.

okie52
4/8/2011, 10:18 AM
I agree..

I will make a prediction...

When the final numbers shake out and we find that TBP has made several billion dollars a chit storm will develop....

Sheet-OSU will be winning NCs

Jammin'
4/8/2011, 10:34 AM
Harness the power of the tides and be done with all this ****.

YWIA. Again.

REDREX
4/8/2011, 01:45 PM
Crude is up $2.44 to $112.74----Could it be time to drill off shore ?

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 01:53 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GzrzcElky8w/SOE2yknVtgI/AAAAAAAAB5o/o9wm0HYSWT8/S1600-R/PIGMAN+NEVER+SUBMIT+for+bottom+of+blog.png

The Profit
4/8/2011, 02:01 PM

No,but it could be time to throw speculators in the penitentiary.

OUDoc
4/8/2011, 02:03 PM

http://stylembe.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/applause1234363884-1.gif

okie52
4/8/2011, 02:10 PM
God bless those spekulators.

The Profit
4/8/2011, 02:21 PM
God bless those spekulators.

Why would you even say something like that.

Aldebaran
4/8/2011, 02:28 PM
I'm still holding out for...

http://bonehand.com/beefytt.jpg

REDREX
4/8/2011, 02:28 PM
No,but it could be time to throw speculators in the penitentiary.---I guess you are going to start with the ones in Europe where crude is trading over $126

okie52
4/8/2011, 02:34 PM
Why would you even say something like that.

:D Loving every minute of it.

okie52
4/8/2011, 02:35 PM
They really need to do something about those copper speculators, though. Look what has done to air conditioning units.

pphilfran
4/8/2011, 02:42 PM
---I guess you are going to start with the ones in Europe where crude is trading over $126

:D

soonerhubs
4/8/2011, 03:38 PM
Is it really even about supply and demand, or is it more about our terrible monetary policy for the past decade?

http://blogs.forbes.com/charleskadlec/2011/03/14/angry-over-oil-price-demand-a-change-in-fed-policy/

sappstuf
4/8/2011, 07:01 PM

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/media/RAMclr-040811-hotairibd.jpg.cms.jpeg

soonercruiser
4/8/2011, 10:19 PM

Throwing speculators in jail (although a good idea) will not help the U.S. get one more drop of oil; or any other type of energey.

"Throwing the Obama Administration Out" would!

soonercruiser
4/8/2011, 10:30 PM
It's kinda like this current budget impasse.
Obama has been busy the last 2 years with "OTHER" things.

http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Obama/Obama%20NCAA%20picks.jpg