PDA

View Full Version : LJ Getting Comfy

oudavid1
4/6/2011, 09:25 AM
Oklahoma football fans probably will feel a lot more comfortable with Landry Jones this spring than they were last spring.

They should. Jones is more comfortable with himself, and with the playbook.

During his redshirt freshman season, when he was air-dropped in to help rescue the Sooners in 2009, he performed well at times and put up some good numbers, but was often himself in need of a rescue.

He even described instances of getting the play-call from the sideline and not knowing what to do.

Those days are over. Now, after a 2010 in which he even broke some of Sam Bradford's hallowed records, Jones knows what to do no matter what the play-call is.

Jones set OU records last year for pass attempts (568), completions (371), passing yards in a game (468, tying Bradford's mark) and career 400-yard games (three). He won the Sammy Baugh Award as the nation's top quarterback, and led the Sooners to a 12-2 record, Big 12 championship and Fiesta Bowl victory.

So what's next for Jones? How close has he come to his ceiling?

"There's always improvement, and he's making it," OU coach Bob Stoops said. "He works hard. But he's a long way from the finished product."

You want a more specific example? Ask Jay Norvell, the co-offensive coordinator.

"We had guys running open last year," Norvell said, "we just didn't connect."

The first part of the 2010 season, the OU offense struggled to produce big plays.

During the first four games, the Sooners' longest scoring plays in the passing game were from 36, 46 and 39 yards - and two of those three were catch-and-run efforts by the receiver.

Then against Colorado, Jones hit Ryan Broyles with an 81-yard TD bomb. They later hooked up from 64 yards against the Buffs. Fifty-nine yards to Kenny Stills against Texas Tech. Forty-nine yards to Stills against Baylor. Eighty-six yards to Cameron Kenney against Oklahoma State. Seventy-six yards to James Hanna against OSU. Finally, 59 yards to Kenney against Connecticut.

And all but one were long-range throws by Jones. Credit his continuing grasp of the offense for that electrical surge.

"I think Landry's taken a step in his understanding of how to create more big plays within our scheme without adding plays," Norvell said. "You know, there's times where we have a takeoff (a deep receiver) and an underneath route (a short receiver). Well, he may take a peek at the takeoff, and that's where he's really growing in his understanding of our scheme.

"We talked a lot about that in the offseason, of really sinking our teeth into our plays and really knowing every big-play opportunity within our scheme. So I think Landry will take a step in that regard. I think Ryan will take a step. I think Stills definitely will. And Trey Franks.

"That's just guys playing together and timing and understanding the whole big-play opportunities."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110403_92_B1_CUTLIN766507

Ive been there. Except i was JV backup my sophomore year. And it happened in practice.

I was have been scared out of my mind. But id still wing it

oudavid1
4/6/2011, 09:27 AM
Oh, and a solid mention of Trey Franks!

rekamrettuB
4/6/2011, 09:50 AM
Then against Colorado, Jones hit Ryan Broyles with an 81-yard TD bomb. They later hooked up from 64 yards against the Buffs. Fifty-nine yards to Kenny Stills against Texas Tech. Forty-nine yards to Stills against Baylor. Eighty-six yards to Cameron Kenney against Oklahoma State. Seventy-six yards to James Hanna against OSU. Finally, 59 yards to Kenney against Connecticut.

Missing quite possibly the most clutch throw of the year...bomb to Stills vs Nebrasky.

TahoeSOONER
4/6/2011, 10:00 AM
The field will be stretched this year and if LJ continues to grow confidence and he get's some time back there this offense should be dynamic.

Looking forward to a older and wiser LJ.

deweydw
4/6/2011, 10:40 AM
September can't get here fast enough!!!

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 10:56 AM
He's going to need a running threat to replicate what he had last year. Finch is good, but we need someone else to spell him and give the defense some fear of the hand-off. :D

TahoeSOONER
4/6/2011, 11:04 AM
A running game is key but I think we have a bunch of lil' big men with speed to hand the ball off to but they're young. That can be a good thing if they can stay healthy and the depth can't be denied. Last time we had that with QQQQ the CFB world was OUs playground.

Right tackle is a big ? with the running game.

JLMSOONER
4/6/2011, 11:51 AM
Well, I'm not going to lie. I was a Landry supporter last year and I will be this year too. But don't kid yourself, he will have the occasional "unassited * like brainfart" mistake. But were still gonna be real good. Hopefully none of the mistakes will cost us a game. Otherwise he'll take us to the promised land in 2012! BOOMER!

homerSimpsonsBrain
4/6/2011, 01:16 PM
Man david. Thats a really long tweet!!

:D

picasso
4/6/2011, 01:28 PM
Well, I'm not going to lie. I was a Landry supporter last year and I will be this year too. But don't kid yourself, he will have the occasional "unassited * like brainfart" mistake. But were still gonna be real good. Hopefully none of the mistakes will cost us a game. Otherwise he'll take us to the promised land in 2012! BOOMER!

Pat Jones calls it a guy who keeps both teams in the game.

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 01:41 PM
He's gotten a lot better at that, really. And the last few games of the year he started actually making plays instead of just managing the offense. He's improved immensely from his first year.

mightysooner
4/6/2011, 07:15 PM
In LJ's defense, he was shackled for the first half of the season only being allowed to throw flat pass after flat pass.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 07:20 PM
In LJ's defense, he was shackled for the first half of the season only being allowed to throw flat pass after flat pass.

The OSU defense disagrees.

OK2U
4/6/2011, 07:23 PM
http://frathousesports.com/wp-content/gallery/ou-qb/Landry%20Jones%201.jpg

mightysooner
4/6/2011, 07:25 PM
The OSU defense disagrees.

The OSU defense would've fared better had they been one of the teams we played in the first half of the year.

olevetonahill
4/6/2011, 08:00 PM
The OSU defense would've fared better had they been one of the teams we played in the first half of the year.

Dont confuse the retarded lizard with accurate statements like that

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 08:11 PM
Dont confuse the retarded lizard with accurate statements like that

You're horning (heh) in on StoopTroup's territory.

olevetonahill
4/6/2011, 08:12 PM
You're horning (heh) in on StoopTroup's territory.

ST said he would share with me and its ok for me to hate ya to.:pop:

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 08:17 PM
ST said he would share with me and its ok for me to hate ya to.:pop:

Between the two you might even be able to get under my scales. It depends on whether your stupidity is additive or subtractive.

jersey sooner
4/6/2011, 08:28 PM
Lizzy with the burn!!!!! hahahahhaha

EDIT: not ;)

Soonerjeepman
4/6/2011, 09:10 PM

I know you know this...but EVEN ALL PROFESSIONAL athletes have brain farts as well...it's part of the game...:)

StoopTroup
4/8/2011, 12:20 AM
Between the two you might even be able to get under my scales. It depends on whether your stupidity is additive or subtractive.

It's actually divided but really it's also multiplied.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 12:26 AM
It's actually divided but really it's also multiplied.

Sounds like a whole googolplex of stupidity.

StoopTroup
4/8/2011, 12:51 AM
Sounds like a whole googolplex of stupidity.

Weak Sauce and a seriously delusional of you to argue the logically impossible.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 01:24 AM
Weak Sauce and a seriously delusional of you to argue the logically impossible.

Since you are yipping at my heels in roughly a half dozen threads, I can't keep up. So I'll let you have this one.

oudavid1
4/8/2011, 02:17 AM
Since you are yipping at my heels in roughly a half dozen threads, I can't keep up. So I'll let you have this one.

oh lord

GET EM LEROY!!!!!

olevetonahill
4/8/2011, 05:57 AM
Since Im busy being a dick head in roughly 3 dozen other threads, I can't keep up. So I'll let you have this one.

:rolleyes: :pop: