PDA

View Full Version : Has economy picked back up

OutlandTrophy
4/6/2011, 08:41 AM
Things seem to be looking pretty good around here. How's it look in your neck of the woods?

EnragedOUfan
4/6/2011, 08:44 AM
In my opinion, it has. Our unemployment rate is still high, but the fact that jobs were gained inidcates that their has been positive growth. Little growth or big growth, growth is still growth...

Breadburner
4/6/2011, 08:45 AM
Its just that time of year......

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/6/2011, 08:47 AM
It will probably be another year or so before it picks up. This happens just about every start of each decade and the economy picks up around the second year.

2012 should be good. Too bad the world will end :D

SoonerLVZ
4/6/2011, 08:56 AM
My take would be the economy has/had been picking back up. But if gas prices keep climbing, we will see a decrease in spending in other areas which will slow growth again. If people are paying an extra $50-100 dollars a month in gas, it hurts.

I think it will be another two years before we see the unemployment rate to 7% and at least 5 years before we back to a 5% rate.

Mississippi Sooner
4/6/2011, 08:56 AM
I live in one of the poorest counties in one of the poorest states in the Union. Boom and bust generally don't have the same meanings here as they do in other parts of the country.

On the other hand, work has begun on a huge coal gassification plant about 8 miles from my house. It's going to bring huge changes to this area that the locals can't even imagine, nor can I, for that matter. One thing I've already noticed, though, is that a little boomtown seems to be springing up out of nowhere about two miles from the plant site. Gonna be interesting to see if it becomes permanent after construction is complete sometime in 2014 or 2015.

OUDoc
4/6/2011, 09:01 AM
Things seem to be looking pretty good around here. How's it look in your neck of the woods?

Gas price are terrible and some people are making a fortune off that........1TC!

OutlandTrophy
4/6/2011, 09:02 AM
Gas price are terrible and some people are making a fortune off that........1TC!

that guy's a butthole. I'd like to punch him in his vulva.

OUDoc
4/6/2011, 09:03 AM
that guy's a butthole. I'd like to punch him in his vulva.

It's a big vulva, so I hear. But they are safe cars.

Ike
4/6/2011, 09:11 AM

As a bailed out banker, I can definitively say that the economy has absolutely turned around. The good times have been rolling since 2009!

*note, I'm not really a bailed out banker....but I should be.

KuppiKunta
4/6/2011, 09:18 AM
In my opinion, it has. Our unemployment rate is still high, but the fact that jobs were gained inidcates that their has been positive growth. Little growth or big growth, growth is still growth...

I don't believe the gov'mint line about jobs gained, I just think so many people have exhausted their U/E benefits that it looks like less Amerikans are unemployed.

Ike
4/6/2011, 09:21 AM
In all seriousness, the jobs situation hasn't really improved at all....IMO, the relevant number to look at to get an idea of our unused capacity for production is not the unemployment rate, but the employment to population ratio. And that has stayed quite flat for the last year and a half...

oudavid1
4/6/2011, 09:37 AM

i was about to say, gas is TREE FIDY!

OutlandTrophy
4/6/2011, 09:42 AM
It's a big vulva, so I hear. But they are safe cars.

I'm not sure you're allowed to discuss your patient's ailments are you?

:les: JUST WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR ARE YOU ANYWAYS?

JohnnyMack
4/6/2011, 09:45 AM

<KNOCK, KNOCK> Time for your free proctology screening.

pphilfran
4/6/2011, 09:48 AM
Significantly better...

GDP is back to the pre recession level...and the growth rate is back to normal...needs to be at a higher rate of growth to pull in more out or work folks...at the current rate we only generate enough jobs for new workers coming into the work force...

Manufacturing has picked back up...auto sales are much better...industrial electrical usage has bottomed and is nearly at pre recession levels..

Housing is still in terrible shape...commercial real estate is still on life support...

We do not need to see $4 fuel...

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/6/2011, 10:01 AM
People who are underemployed are not counted in any way. People with PHD's and Masters degrees are taking less money.

Numbers can be skewed

pphilfran
4/6/2011, 10:06 AM
People who are underemployed are not counted in any way. People with PHD's and Masters degrees are taking less money.

Numbers can be skewed

No doubt...but the economy is still in much better shape today than it was a year ago...

OUDoc
4/6/2011, 10:32 AM

Peculiar?

Partial Qualifier
4/6/2011, 10:58 AM
How's it look in your neck of the woods?

Neck of the woods, nape of the wave.

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/caddyshack-chevy-chase-560.jpg

What brings you here?