PDA

View Full Version : No syphilis for the not so lucky ones

Chuck Bao
4/5/2011, 11:08 PM
First the good news - yay, I don’t have syphilis!

I had to go to my hospital yesterday to get a medical certificate from a doctor stating that I don’t have syphilis level 3, whatever that means. The Labor Department requires all foreigners to show that they are syphilis free before getting a work permit. I had stayed at my previous job for 10 years, so this is all new to me.

I was a bit nervous about it because I didn’t know what tests they would have to do. When the lady doctor came in, I got even more nervous. I started stammering on about not having syphilis and you have to have sex before getting syphilis.

She said: “Oh, I know you don’t have syphilis. I can take just one look at you and tell that.”

What? She doesn’t think that I could get lucky? I haven’t in a long time, but that is beside the point. Well, it could happen. So, I got my medical certificate and left the hospital in not so good of a mood.

proud gonzo
4/5/2011, 11:16 PM
maybe she meant because you don't look bat**** crazy.

yermom
4/5/2011, 11:25 PM
"level 3" syphilis is the bad one, right? if they don't catch it before that, you are not in for good times.

congrats on not having syphilis :D

Chuck Bao
4/6/2011, 12:49 AM
I really know nothing about this sort of thing. I guess that it was such a huge disgrace to suffer from this malady some 100-500 years ago. Maybe it helps explain the Victorian era prudishness, which in some form lasts until today.

yermom
4/6/2011, 01:05 AM
apparently, after taking some time off, it's gaining popularity again

if it's caught early, it's easy to treat. if not, it can do nothing after the initial outbreak, which can be mild, and lay dormant for decades and then cause irreversible brain damage and death

i'm pretty sure this is the main reason why you needed a blood test to get married back in the day

yankee
4/6/2011, 03:57 AM
I CAN'T SLEEP

TheHumanAlphabet
4/6/2011, 04:15 AM
I really know nothing about this sort of thing. I guess that it was such a huge disgrace to suffer from this malady some 100-500 years ago. Maybe it helps explain the Victorian era prudishness, which in some form lasts until today.

That's why this is the only disease that Oklahoma tests you for when getting married, at least that was the case 16 years ago...

AlbqSooner
4/6/2011, 06:22 AM
i'm pretty sure this is the main reason why you needed a blood test to get married back in the day

It is also the reason they put silver nitrate drops into the eyes of babies at birth, backinaday.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/6/2011, 08:00 AM
That's why this is the only disease that Oklahoma tests you for when getting married, at least that was the case 16 years ago...

Yeah, not anymore. Guess they just want folks splooging disease and doom all over their wives.