PDA

View Full Version : 8 year old pepper sprayed by police

achiro
4/5/2011, 11:03 PM
Heard it on the radio this morning. Apparently he was throwing a huge tantrum at school. Had a piece of wood that was sharp and was threatening teachers to the point that they had barricaded themselves away from him. Was throwing out F bombs at the cops. This was the third time the police had been called to the school for this boys outbursts. Cops ended up spraying him and then handcuffed him. Cops supervisors say they did the right thing, mom is mad.
What say ye...

Caboose
4/5/2011, 11:15 PM
Saw an article about it earlier... kid is messed up and will probably kill someone someday. There was a pretty creepy quote from the kid... something like "When someone upsets me I just want to tear them apart. I dont think that will ever change." Anyway, I am fine with what the cops did.. kid could have really hurt someone with his shiv.

On edit: Found the actual quote and article:

"Just kind of like whenever anybody upsets me," he said. "Like I just kind of want to tear them apart... I think it's not ever going to go away... It's just who I am."

http://www.9news.com/dontmiss/191574/630/Police-use-pepper-spray-on-second-grader-

yermom
4/5/2011, 11:28 PM
sounds good to me.

that's what non-lethal weapons were invented for :D

SoCaliSooner
4/5/2011, 11:57 PM
This is a good time for retroactive abortion...

proud gonzo
4/6/2011, 01:32 AM
Well, that's probably safer than tazing him. I figure if it's bad enough that teachers called the cops and the cops thought they needed pepper spray, it was probably warranted. Some 8 year olds are ****ers.

Mongo
4/6/2011, 03:24 AM
form tackle. rush in and level the ****er. put your shoulder into his gut while wrapping your arms around his legs and drive yourself through him.

usmc-sooner
4/6/2011, 06:06 AM
spank these kids asses and don't let them get so out of control and a lot of these things won't happen.

dwarthog
4/6/2011, 06:12 AM
That's one messed up kid.

usmc-sooner has it right, bust his ***...

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 06:30 AM
The cop should have responded:

"Just kind of like whenever anybody threatens me with a chunk of wood," he said. "Like I just kind of want to pepper spray them into oblivion... I think it's not ever going to go away... It's just who I am."

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/6/2011, 07:25 AM
spank these kids asses and don't let them get so out of control and a lot of these things won't happen.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I am perfectly fine with it. If you are doing something stupid and putting other people's lives in danger, you get what you deserve, no matter the age. Good for the cops for sraying this punk. While they are at it though, somebody needs to go taser the parents as well.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/6/2011, 07:58 AM
Really?

This kid is nuttier than squirrel turds and we're blaming the parents for not busting his ***? We're talking about how the kid is a potential murderer and we're blaming the parents for not busting his ***?

Can the kid not just be a chemically imbalanced psycho that needs a nice padded room and a fistful of thorazine instead of a buttwhooping?

texaspokieokie
4/6/2011, 08:00 AM
i'd try butt whooping first.

achiro
4/6/2011, 08:07 AM
IMO, stuff like this is not just about spankings specifically as much as it is about consistent parenting that shows a kid that there are consequences to their decisions and actions.

Mississippi Sooner
4/6/2011, 08:19 AM
Really?

This kid is nuttier than squirrel turds and we're blaming the parents for not busting his ***? We're talking about how the kid is a potential murderer and we're blaming the parents for not busting his ***?

Can the kid not just be a chemically imbalanced psycho that needs a nice padded room and a fistful of thorazine instead of a buttwhooping?

Same thing I was thinking. What happened to throwing crazy people, of any age, into a soft room where they can bounce around in a Thorazine haze?

XingTheRubicon
4/6/2011, 08:27 AM
When you have a kid like that, the a** beating is for the parents/teacher, not the kid.

Soonrboy
4/6/2011, 09:00 AM
When you have a kid like that, the a** beating is for the parents/teacher, not the kid.

No, the teacher should not be touching that kid. Never touch a student when one of you is angry.

An *** beating doesn't help a kid who is chemically imbalanced. Anyone who disagrees has never been around a chemically imbalanced person, no matter the age.

lexsooner
4/6/2011, 09:02 AM
Couldn't the cops have been like TJ Hooker and flung that night stick at his feet and knocked him off balance?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/6/2011, 09:10 AM

Why is it the teacher's fault? We have taking so much of the teacher's ability to control kids, all the do is run around crazy. Parents sue and don't take responsibility for their kids actions and this crazy lady is defending her kid. He is attacking people with a weapon and she is defending him! That is stupid! She apparently doesn't make the kid mind at home and if I was a parent of a kid at that school, I would be PISSED! The cops have been called out three times for this kid and he is obviously disrupting the learning enviornment for other kids in this school, so the selfish parent of this little terror is claiming the cops need special training for kids of parents who can't make their kids mind. There needs to be spankings all around for the kid and the mother. Start charging her for the police calls to the school as well. I am tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions. Stating puting harder consequences in and see if that changes.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/6/2011, 09:17 AM
Couldn't the cops have been like TJ Hooker and flung that night stick at his feet and knocked him off balance?

AS FAR AS YOUR CONCERNED, MY NAME IS SERGEANT. IS THAT CLEAR?

jkjsooner
4/6/2011, 09:32 AM
IMO, stuff like this is not just about spankings specifically as much as it is about consistent parenting that shows a kid that there are consequences to their decisions and actions.

I'm not against corporal punishment but I agree 100%. It's about general discipline.

I'd guess that this is one child that wouldn't respond at all to spankings. At this point he probably needs some psychological intervention but also some lessons that there are consequences for his actions. If spanking works, fine, but I think other forms of discipline may be in order.

Sometimes I think parents spank simply because it's the easiest thing to do. It takes a lot more effort to put a child in timeout and make sure (s)he stays there for a length of time. Taking away privileges can be time consuming but spanking only takes a minute.

I have a really religious brother who quotes the "spare the rod and spoil the child" verse all the time. In my opinion, that verse is more about punishment than the physical act of hitting a child with a rod. Afterall, nobody argues that a switch, belt, or paddle can't be substituted for a rod. Funny thing how people tend to take Biblical versus general or literal depending on how it fits their worldview. My brother will easily agree that having women cover their heads simply means that they should dress respectfully but "spare the rod" must mean a physical form of punishment.

oudavid1
4/6/2011, 09:36 AM
Wait wait wait, the teachers had to barricade themselves from an 8 year old boy and the boys mom is mad? Issssss that right.

Partial Qualifier
4/6/2011, 09:57 AM
Try to keep in mind this is coming from an 8-year-old's mouth before overreacting.

And cops pepperspraying an 8 year old?? That's absurd. An out-of-control teenager, sure, but any adult pepperspraying an 8 year old should do some time in the clink as far as I'm concerned. I'm not one to oversimplify and generalize but I'd bet $100 all this his kid needs is better parents.

Caboose
4/6/2011, 10:12 AM
Try to keep in mind this is coming from an 8-year-old's mouth before overreacting.

And cops pepperspraying an 8 year old?? That's absurd. An out-of-control teenager, sure, but any adult pepperspraying an 8 year old should do some time in the clink as far as I'm concerned. I'm not one to oversimplify and generalize but I'd bet $100 all this his kid needs is better parents.

Well here are the cop's options:

Try to grab the kid and disarm him -
Pros: If successful, situation is over quickly and no one is hurt.
Cons: If unsuccessful, kid stabs cop through the gut, or eye, or nards... or the kid falls on his own shiv and guts himself resulting in a lawsuit.

Use the Tazer -
Pros: Immediate results, no bystanders are hurt.
Cons: Immense (maybe unreasonable pain) to the kid, possible injury to kid, possible lawsuit.

Use the pepper spray:
Pros: Situation is resolved, kid is unable to injure himself or someone else
Cons: minor irritation for others from residual spray, kid gets some short-lived face and eye pain but no long lasting effects or serious injuries.

I would say Pepper spray was the most reasonable option. Even if the offender is only 8 and should be handled more gently than some raging 30 year old man, the fact is the kid posed a danger to the cop and other innocent bystanders and the cop had to take that into consideration.

3rdgensooner
4/6/2011, 10:28 AM
Here's a story on the kid where you can see him interviewed: Link to story (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42449949/ns/today-today_people/)

Tulsa_Fireman
4/6/2011, 10:30 AM
And in other news, cops love to shoot things and suck at practical policing.

It's a damned 8 year old. With a piece of WOOD. I'm no ninja (I can't admit it in public) or even have training in ninja skills (that I can admit to in public) but even Sic'em could disarm an 8 year old in a half second.

Pepper spray? Really? This "personal safety" in public service crap has crossed the line. It's a dangerous job. Suck it up.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 10:37 AM
And in other news, cops love to shoot things and suck at practical policing.

It's a damned 8 year old. With a piece of WOOD. I'm no ninja (I can't admit it in public) or even have training in ninja skills (that I can admit to in public) but even Sic'em could disarm an 8 year old in a half second.

Pepper spray? Really? This "personal safety" in public service crap has crossed the line. It's a dangerous job. Suck it up.

I wouldn't pepper spray the rat out of fear of public safety. I would just do it for the Hell of it.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/6/2011, 10:38 AM
Just watched the interview.

Changing my tack. The kid is a punk, not a psycho. Beat his ***.

Jacie
4/6/2011, 11:03 AM

You are right. Let us know when you get home tonight and we'll drop him off. Then you can exercise your parenting skills and when you can prove after say, 6 months, that he is better, we'll take up a SF collection and give you that hundred . . .

yermom
4/6/2011, 11:05 AM
maybe, just maybe, he'll remember getting pepper sprayed the next time he decides to go into a blind rage.

Caboose
4/6/2011, 11:05 AM
Dollars to Donuts the kid has no male role model in his life.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/6/2011, 11:07 AM
Dollars to donuts says his lard *** mom sits around facebooking and is eating up her 15 minutes of fame like a box of ho-hos.

SoCaliSooner
4/6/2011, 11:23 AM
Another spineless single mom who makes bad decisions and obviously allows this kid to walk all over her. I've seen it many times. The mom wanted the cops to let the kid continue to dictate the situation by saying "they could have talked to him for another 10 or 20 minutes".

The a-hole kid is already in behavioral jacktard school with other jacktards....the cops have been called before.....and I am hopeful as he gets older he takes a weapon against somebody who kills him or the kid gets fatally dropped by the cops.

Partial Qualifier
4/6/2011, 11:28 AM
You are right. Let us know when you get home tonight and we'll drop him off. Then you can exercise your parenting skills and when you can prove after say, 6 months, that he is better, we'll take up a SF collection and give you that hundred . . .

Hey, good one!!

I have a better idea: let's condemn tantrum-prone 8 year olds to a life of crime and murder, and use pepperspray on them when they act up at school!

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 11:36 AM
mmm... tantric...

Partial Qualifier
4/6/2011, 11:48 AM
yeah that didn't make sense. tantrumismness. es.

cccasooner2
4/6/2011, 12:12 PM
No, the teacher should not be touching that kid. Never touch a student when one of you is angry.

An *** beating doesn't help a kid who is chemically imbalanced. Anyone who disagrees has never been around a chemically imbalanced person, no matter the age.

I agree, it's what euthanasia was designed for, in this case the proactive solution for pain and suffering of an innocent future victim. The mother IMHO should be put to sleep also, it's the humane thing to do.

OULenexaman
4/6/2011, 12:23 PM
Dollars to Donuts the kid has no male role model in his life.....yep....where is dad?

SouthCarolinaSooner
4/6/2011, 12:32 PM
Hit a child to teach them not to hit. Incredible logic

ouduckhunter
4/6/2011, 12:47 PM
That's sad! It's one thing if he's just a spoiled rotten brat who has never been disciplined by doting parents, but it's a totally different thing if he has mental problems. If he's just a spoiled brat, I agree, whup him!! I have a friend who has a child about that age, and the child is bipolar. She has been to great doctors, had all kinds of special help, meds, etc., but already she has been hospitalized twice. There isn't much research done on children with serious mental problems, so it is really scary stuff and difficult to figure out how to medicate them, etc. as they are growing and changing. At that age, they are strong enough to hurt other children, teachers, etc, and it is just a bad situation all around. Sorry, but it makes me sad! :(

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 12:51 PM
....yep....where is dad?

Where is his other mom? :D

Caboose
4/6/2011, 12:52 PM

No... create an negative association (pain) with undesirable behavior (hitting others). The logic is sound. Stop being such a pantywaist.

NormanPride
4/6/2011, 01:04 PM

Use a straw man to win an argument. Incredible logic.

JohnnyMack
4/6/2011, 01:05 PM
Dollars to donuts says his lard *** mom sits around facebooking and is eating up her 15 minutes of fame like a box of ho-hos.

I'd **** up some Ho-Ho's right now. I'd even rage all over Little Debbie's face.

usmc-sooner
4/6/2011, 06:30 PM
maybe, just maybe, he'll remember getting pepper sprayed the next time he decides to go into a blind rage.

damn dude we agree

usmc-sooner
4/6/2011, 06:32 PM

you gotta hit them hard enough to hurt. Sissy hits do not count.

OU_Sooners75
4/6/2011, 06:35 PM
WOW....that is what I say...WOW!!!!

How in the hell can you not control an 8 year old? I don't give a damn who you are, if you cannot control an 8 year old, then you are pathetic!

And as far as the police pepper spraying the kid, that is just ****ing ridiculous. Had that been my son or daughter, I would be extremely pissed at the police officers that did such a thing.

The police are trained in how to restrain people...to me the pepper spray was a little excessive for an 8 year old.

I would tell the cops to take their badges off so I can whip their asses!:eek:

OU_Sooners75
4/6/2011, 06:37 PM

So its acceptable?

Ever been pepper sprayed by the spray the cops use?

Yes the kid will remember it. However, there are some underlying issues as to why the kid is acting out like he is...using pepper spray should never have been the response.

usmc-sooner
4/6/2011, 06:39 PM
I've been peppered sprayed, it hurts, he'll live. You don't want your kid sprayed, make them behave.

I have no doubt they could've controlled him, they were teaching him a lesson. Better to get pepper sprayed at 8 that shot at 16

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/6/2011, 06:46 PM
I think society is in big trouble. Back in the day, kids like these would have had an "accident" on the farm and societies gene pool would have been cleansed. No we protect these kids so much that they get to 18 or 19 years old, they hook up with some equally dumb person then they have 20 kids and sit on welfare for the 80 years. Their 20 kids are usually just as dumb as them and have 20 kids a piece. Were as Joe Blow Sane Guy has 2 kids who will be supporting 400 imbeciles for the rest of their life.

rekamrettuB
4/6/2011, 06:51 PM
“The school he was at was for children who have social and emotional behavioral issues,” the boy’s mom, Mandy, who is identified only by her first name to protect her family’s privacy, told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Wednesday

But they are on the TODAY show. Real private.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2011, 07:02 PM
But they are on the TODAY show. Real private.

Before the show she went into a telephone booth and changed clothes.

usmc-sooner
4/6/2011, 07:06 PM
I have no sympathy for these fuggers cause I've been on planes with these ****s, and I wanted to get up and pepper spray the kids, the parents and the guy sitting across the isle for not slapping the **** out the kid or the parent

C&CDean
4/6/2011, 07:48 PM
I ain't got a dog in this fight, however, I will say this:

That my kid? Dead ****ing meat. The boy wouldn't walk/speak/shuffle/lisp/groove/pop off for about 6-9 months due to the traction/bandages and ****.

Sorry, I ain't buying the "chemically inbalanced" horse****. I have a grandson who is something...maybe autistic, maybe something else, but that little man responds RIGHT ****ING NOW to someone who lets him know there is no room for ****ing around.

8 years old? Cops? Teachers hiding? WTF is wrong with this world?

OU_Sooners75
4/6/2011, 08:59 PM
I've been peppered sprayed, it hurts, he'll live. You don't want your kid sprayed, make them behave.

I have no doubt they could've controlled him, they were teaching him a lesson. Better to get pepper sprayed at 8 that shot at 16

I have been pepper sprayed too...with that foam **** that they have.

However, my experience was strictly voluntary since I was going through some cleet training at the time.

It not only hurt, but I had burns on my skin where the spray was on my body.

Yes, he will live, but that potent spray should not have been used!

OU_Sooners75
4/6/2011, 09:02 PM
I ain't got a dog in this fight, however, I will say this:

That my kid? Dead ****ing meat. The boy wouldn't walk/speak/shuffle/lisp/groove/pop off for about 6-9 months due to the traction/bandages and ****.

Sorry, I ain't buying the "chemically inbalanced" horse****. I have a grandson who is something...maybe autistic, maybe something else, but that little man responds RIGHT ****ING NOW to someone who lets him know there is no room for ****ing around.

8 years old? Cops? Teachers hiding? WTF is wrong with this world?

I agree with this. But I do not agree with the cops spraying the kid.

If he was my son, I would be pissed that he got sprayed...but he would be in big trouble with me at home. But then again, if it was my son, he wouldn't be acting out like that without a very good reason.

Billy'sOUfan
4/6/2011, 09:04 PM
I've been peppered as well. In the military in law enforcement training. Hurts. But, doubt it will have an effect on the kid long or short term.

Read “Mask of Sanity”. About Psychopaths. It’s free to download online. My stepson had most of the traits and it’s flat out IMPOSSIBLE to manage. It can’t be treated.

Two things, 1) Unable to accept responsibility for their actions. 2) Unable to learn from past experience. Tie these two things together and no amount of positive/negative reinforcement will have any long term effect. They can fake you and tell you what you want to hear, but it really isn’t sincere.

A psychopath’s brain doesn’t relate punishment to their own actions. If given a scenario concerning other people, they understand right from wrong and know how punishment works and that it is fair and just and such. They can articulate right from wrong and the need and fairness for punishments. They will verbally express remorse and you will believe their sincerity. But, they will do the same thing again and again and any personal punishment will have no effect on them. They just don’t care and never will. They have no shame in failing and being punished for it. Because, they don’t think they are doing anything wrong. They know right from wrong when it applies to others, just not themselves. It’s a weird deal and you can blame parenting but there are some people that you can’t beat the **** out of enough to make them behave. I went through it. He wasn’t beat, but he would not learn from punishment of any sort. It didn’t affect him. It didn’t matter to him.

Their brain is different than ours and there is no real treatment. If you think it’s poor parenting, that’s fine, but I believe that means you don’t understand because you haven’t lived through it. If you live through it, you will have a different opinion. This is a thousand times different than a snotty little brat.

I’m not describing this well, but I feel sorry for anyone who has to live through this

Whet
4/6/2011, 09:32 PM
a shock collar would do the kid a world of good!

Caboose
4/6/2011, 09:54 PM
WOW....that is what I say...WOW!!!!

How in the hell can you not control an 8 year old? I don't give a damn who you are, if you cannot control an 8 year old, then you are pathetic!

And as far as the police pepper spraying the kid, that is just ****ing ridiculous. Had that been my son or daughter, I would be extremely pissed at the police officers that did such a thing.

The police are trained in how to restrain people...to me the pepper spray was a little excessive for an 8 year old.

I would tell the cops to take their badges off so I can whip their asses!:eek:

If it were my kid I would be pissed at my kid for his behavior.

MamaMia
4/6/2011, 10:29 PM
This has happened 3 times? This should not have happened a 2nd time. Has this child had any counseling, and if not then why hasn't he? He may even need medication. :confused:

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 12:47 AM
If it were my kid I would be pissed at my kid for his behavior.

You and me both. However, that doesnt excuse the police for using Pepper spray on a damn 8 year old.

SoCaliSooner
4/7/2011, 12:52 AM
You and me both. However, that doesnt excuse the police for using Pepper spray on a damn 8 year old.

Non lethal force to subdue a violent kid kept not only the officers from getting hurt, but the jacktard too. What if they tried to grab this waste of sperm and he tripped and was impaled on the sharp wood stick he was threatening those others with?

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 01:09 AM
Non lethal force to subdue a violent kid kept not only the officers from getting hurt, but the jacktard too. What if they tried to grab this waste of sperm and he tripped and was impaled on the sharp wood stick he was threatening those others with?

If you want to believe that, fine...good for you.

However, there are a lot of ways of restraining people that does not include spraying them with pepper spay.

MANDT Restraining, which most Police organizations train in, should have been used.

You cannot tell me that some law enforcement person was scared for his/her life by an 8 years with a piece of freaking wood in their hand.

The shear size of the police officer would have intimidated the 8 year old.

Serious, how much damage is an 8 year going to do?

Curly Bill
4/7/2011, 01:26 AM
Sounds to me like this kid is a little POS. Why should cops or anyone else risk their safety to ensure his, and yeah I know cops take an oath to defend others and all that. In this case I'm glad the kid is the one who suffered a little, so that no one else had to.

StoopTroup
4/7/2011, 01:28 AM
i don't understand why they didn't back off and call in SWAT.

Curly Bill
4/7/2011, 01:29 AM
i don't understand why they didn't back off and call in SWAT.

I'd be fine with that if SWAT had promised to shoot the little bastard. Do the rest of society a favor. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
Yeah, and if they tackled the kid and he sprained his wrist or ankle everyone would be saying blah blah blah Can't you tackle an 8 year old without breaking his wrist. If the kid doesn't learn from life experiences, that is a double win because he won't even remember getting pepper sprayed...no harm no foul! I still think that they over diagnose these damn kids. I mean you see Mom's and they say, I tell him to do his homework but all he wants to do is play. That isn't ADD or ADHD, that is spoiled *** rotten. Plus if their kid isn't top 10% material they start claiming it must be autism or something. Maybe your kid is either not applying themselves or they are dumb. And that isn't an insult, I know tons of people who couldn't pass a simple exam on anything that I trust and believe in more than someone with a degree.

yermom
it's not like he was 3, or doesn't speak English. are they just supposed to let him continue to make threats and destroy more of the room? maybe they should have just used one of those animal control sticks on him...

i'm trying to wrap my head around MANDT, what the heck is it?

olevetonahill
4/7/2011, 07:50 AM
it's not like he was 3, or doesn't speak English. are they just supposed to let him continue to make threats and destroy more of the room? maybe they should have just used one of those animal control sticks on him...

What i were thinkin bro
The little bastard wants to act like an animal treat him like one

olevetonahill
4/7/2011, 08:09 AM
In this article http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110407/ap_on_re_us/us_child_pepper_sprayed

The Kid says " When asked about the pepper spray and what he did, Aidan said: "I kind of deserved it."

The fatassed Mom says

According to the report, Mandy Elliott asked her son what he did.

When he told her he had been hit with pepper spray, she is quoted as saying, "Well, you probably deserved it."

texaspokieokie
4/7/2011, 08:21 AM
they both deserved it.
at least, fatso got her 15 minutes of fame. she got on tv for being a bad parent.

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 08:51 AM

Well...it is a training program that teaches people how to restrain and control situations with people, specifically children that are a danger to themselves and others.

I had to take it when I worked at a Child Detention Center.

From what I read from this 8 year old, he was a typical day at work when I worked there.

Pricetag
4/7/2011, 10:00 AM
Well...it is a training program that teaches people how to restrain and control situations with people, specifically children that are a danger to themselves and others.

I had to take it when I worked at a Child Detention Center.

From what I read from this 8 year old, he was a typical day at work when I worked there.
What a shame you weren't there to handle things the right way.

I don't think you can just dismiss the possibility of threat just because the kid is eight years old. I'm going to have to use some offensive terminology here, but I've never heard it expressed otherwise--has anyone heard of "retard strength"? Kids can definitely be capable of this kind of flip out phenomenon.

Personally, I think this is a combination of this and Fireman's "cops like to shoot stuff" observation. It could have been handled better, it could have been handled worse.

I'm not going to criticize the police here. Had they responded with the same kind of physical force the kid was dishing out, I think they would have opened themselves up to even more criticism. Regardless of whatever training they should have had, they responded with non-lethal force and took care of it. A lot of the response is fake outrage that we love to exhibit.

sanantoniosooner
4/7/2011, 10:20 AM
How do we know this kid was actually 8 years old?

Did we count begats?

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 10:22 AM
Just give the teacher a can of pepper spray and tell her, in front of the kid, "if he gets out of line, nail him with this again."

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 11:22 AM
What a shame you weren't there to handle things the right way.

I don't think you can just dismiss the possibility of threat just because the kid is eight years old. I'm going to have to use some offensive terminology here, but I've never heard it expressed otherwise--has anyone heard of "retard strength"? Kids can definitely be capable of this kind of flip out phenomenon.

Personally, I think this is a combination of this and Fireman's "cops like to shoot stuff" observation. It could have been handled better, it could have been handled worse.

I'm not going to criticize the police here. Had they responded with the same kind of physical force the kid was dishing out, I think they would have opened themselves up to even more criticism. Regardless of whatever training they should have had, they responded with non-lethal force and took care of it. A lot of the response is fake outrage that we love to exhibit.

I am glad I wasn't there.

I do not underestimate what an 8 year old can do. I am very well aware what they can do.

However, this was IMO mishandled....regardless if the kid deserved it or not.

I am just going to assume, you have never handled a child of this age that has displayed this type of aggressive behavior.

NormanPride
4/7/2011, 11:23 AM
How do we know this kid was actually 8 years old?

Did we count begats?
I think they cut a finger off and counted the rings.

Pricetag
4/7/2011, 12:00 PM
I am glad I wasn't there.

I do not underestimate what an 8 year old can do. I am very well aware what they can do.

However, this was IMO mishandled....regardless if the kid deserved it or not.

I am just going to assume, you have never handled a child of this age that has displayed this type of aggressive behavior.
I'm intruigued by the fact that you're glad you weren't there. Why are you glad?

Nope, I've never handled a child of that age with aggressive behavior. I do have a lug of a seven-year-old who would be a bear to handle if he didn't respect me.

Have you ever worked in a school? Detention center doesn't count--you were working under a completely different set of rules there.

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 12:10 PM
I'm intruigued by the fact that you're glad you weren't there. Why are you glad?

Nope, I've never handled a child of that age with aggressive behavior. I do have a lug of a seven-year-old who would be a bear to handle if he didn't respect me.

Have you ever worked in a school? Detention center doesn't count--you were working under a completely different set of rules there.

Why am I glad I wasn't there?

Because I hate seeing kids acting out like what was described in this case. There are underlying issues as to why he was doing it. Did his teacher cross the line? Does he have some mental issues? Does he get everything he wants at home with no discipline? Who knows. But I cannot stand witnessing kids acting out aggressively.

And if I had witnessed the police pepper spraying the kid, I would have let my opinion be known. So, I am glad I was not there.

Technically, yes I have worked in a school...not as a teacher though. The detention center has a school. :) And when I was fresh out of college, I worked as a substitute in the "in house suspension" (SAC) program.

And yes, I had to deal with some of the kids that did go to a public school.

achiro
4/7/2011, 12:24 PM
In the interview the mother said that she has had him checked by several doctors and they all say that there is nothing mentally wrong with him .

olevetonahill
4/7/2011, 12:26 PM
In the interview the mother said that she has had him checked by several doctors and they all say that there is nothing mentally wrong with him .

So then hes just a little turd that needs his azz beat;)

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2011, 12:29 PM

So his mom needs to grab a belt and beat his *** once in awhile. :cool:

Soonerson1975
4/7/2011, 12:40 PM

And if she don't someone needs to hit her with a belt.

3rdgensooner
4/7/2011, 12:42 PM
In the interview the mother said that she has had him checked by several doctors and they all say that there is nothing mentally wrong with him .So it's behavioral. Ok. That'll be reassuring to whoever ends up an injured victim to this kid's behavioral problems.

olevetonahill
4/7/2011, 12:53 PM
And if she don't someone needs to hit her with a belt.

I believe Ill have a belt, Oh wait :O

Jacie
4/7/2011, 02:12 PM

I glean from the few seconds of air time that gal received, the kid has never heard the word "No" come out of her mouth, or been disciplined by her in any way.

usmc-sooner
4/7/2011, 05:49 PM
I glean from the few seconds of air time that gal received, the kid has never heard the word "No" come out of her mouth, or been disciplined by her in any way.

and apparently never handled by an expert kid "handler" like 75

Mongo
4/7/2011, 06:00 PM
and apparently never handled by an expert kid "handler" like 75

how is your bully daughter doing?:D

usmc-sooner
4/7/2011, 06:07 PM
how is your bully daughter doing?:D

hahahaha she's doing good, not quite at the detention center yet. I need to learn these special kid hugging techniques or get me some pepper spray..

achiro
4/7/2011, 06:16 PM
When Aidan's in a good mood, the eight-year-old is personable, friendly, a charmer. But when he's not, he's capable of terrifying any adult, including professionals trained in dealing with unruly children. That's the conclusion of Lakewood Police spokesman Steve Davis, who praises officers for defusing a dangerous situation by pepper-spraying Aidan in the face.

The story comes to us courtesy of 9News, which obtained a police report on a February 22 incident at Glennon Heights Elementary, presumably from Aidan's mom, who appears with her son in a segment on view below. Davis emphasizes that the document isn't publicly available due to the subject's age.

Although Davis can't talk about the report's specifics, including the 9News assertion that police had been called to deal with Aidan on two previous occasions, he offers additional details about what took place, and the risks involved.

glennon heights elementary.jpg
Glennon Heights Elementary.
​"You had people in danger," he emphasizes. "You had teachers who had barricaded themselves into an office because they were so frightened of this child. The child was making threats that he was going to kill them and he was ramming the door of the office they were in with a push cart, trying to get to them. And as we were responding, the information we got clearly indicated that there were people who were very fearful of him, and they wanted us to get there in a hurry to take care of the situation."

By the way, the cart to which Davis refers previously held a television, which Aidan allegedly tossed to the ground. He is also said to have been throwing chairs before the teachers took refuge in the office and called police.

When officers arrived at the school, Davis continues, "the child was armed with a piece of wood described as being twelve to fifteen inches in length and sharpened to a point, and he was using it as a weapon. The officers told him they were there because of what was going on and to drop the piece of wood -- I've heard it described as either a piece of trim or a piece of paneling -- and he didn't. He held it up to the officers and was threatening them with it."

In response, Davis goes on, "one of the officers pulled out the pepper spray and tried to squirt it, and the child blocked it with a cardboard box. So the officer reached around the box and squirted once -- and the child dropped the long piece of wood and the cardboard box and the situation was defused."

Was this the only alternative? No, Davis concedes -- but in his view, it was the best one.

glennon heights elementary banner.JPG
A banner from the Glennon Heights Elementary website.
​"Of all the tools the officers had at their disposal -- a Taser, a nightstick -- I believe they not only made a great choice, but the absolutely perfect choice in ending the situation," he says. "People ask, 'Couldn't you have just grabbed the kid?' But he's about eighty pounds, and very capable of doing some damage. And we're not only concerned about the safety of other people in that school, but also the eight-year-old's safety -- and I think the chances of injury would have gone up tremendously if we had gone hands-on with him. But other than the burning sensation of the pepper spray, which was washed off and quickly neutralized, there were no injuries to anyone."

Aidan's mother feels differently. She sees the pepper-spraying as excessive, maintaining that police in the two previous instances were able to talk him down.

At this point, Aidan is no longer attending Glennon Heights. Instead, he's enrolled at a school specializing in children with behavior issues -- and he's also seeing a doctor to help him deal with what he calls "anger things" in the 9News report. He is not on medication.

Meanwhile, Davis sees the outcome of the February 22 face-off as positive. "Given the totality of the circumstances, and given that he was indicating to teachers that he had every intention of killing them, we're just happy that no one was hurt," he says. "That's the good news."
I also read that he was telling the officers to "get back you F*** before I kill you"

I think the officers did exactly the right thing. It did what it was suppose to do, ended the situation with nobody getting hurt.

MR2-Sooner86
4/7/2011, 06:32 PM
I know people think this is too much but maybe, just maybe, if the parents were...I don't know, parents, this kid wouldn't be such a little ****head.