PDA

View Full Version : I said goodbye to a friend today

Wishboned
4/4/2011, 09:48 PM
His name was Spanky.

For the past 15 years he was my best friend, and my near constant companion. He was by my side through some of the worst times of my life, and through some of the best. There were times when but for the love of that dog I wouldn't be here today.

But 15 is old for a dog. His poor body just started to wear out. His kidneys were failing, and I knew I had to do the right thing by him. He deserved it. He had earned his rest.

So I held him, and said goodbye. And as the doctor gave him the medicine to give him his rest, I comforted him. He would have done the same for me.

So tonight I'm hurting pretty bad. But not for Spanky, his pain is over. I'm going to miss that dog.

soonercruiser
4/4/2011, 09:59 PM
Be good yourself!
Spanky will be waiting for you.

ouduckhunter
4/4/2011, 10:24 PM
I feel your pain. Losing a beloved pet is very, very, hard, but try to take comfort in knowing that he is healthy and whole again. Hang in there and take care.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/4/2011, 10:26 PM
Dogs are great. Sorry for your pain.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 10:26 PM
His name was Spanky.

For the past 15 years he was my best friend, and my near constant companion. He was by my side through some of the worst times of my life, and through some of the best. There were times when but for the love of that dog I wouldn't be here today.

But 15 is old for a dog. His poor body just started to wear out. His kidneys were failing, and I knew I had to do the right thing by him. He deserved it. He had earned his rest.

So I held him, and said goodbye. And as the doctor gave him the medicine to give him his rest, I comforted him. He would have done the same for me.

So tonight I'm hurting pretty bad. But not for Spanky, his pain is over. I'm going to miss that dog.

I've had to do that to two dogs I cared about now.

Prayers to you to help with the anxiety of the loss Bro. I know it sucks.

Curly Bill
4/4/2011, 10:41 PM
Sounds almost exactly like what I did with my pal a couple of years ago. My condolences.

olevetonahill
4/4/2011, 10:47 PM
Sad for you bro

TheHumanAlphabet
4/4/2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Fraggle145
4/5/2011, 01:14 AM
sucks man, sorry to hear it.

OUHOMER
4/5/2011, 04:52 AM
been there a couple of times, I have a couple now that when they go its gonna hurt..

i fell your pain, I am sorry to hear about your loss

AlbqSooner
4/5/2011, 06:12 AM
Putting a long time companion down is one of the most painful things we can do.

Putting a long time companion down when it is time is one of the most loving things we can do.

tcrb
4/5/2011, 06:33 AM
It sucks that our pets have such short life spans. I'm sorry for your loss. Just remember all the good times.

stoopified
4/5/2011, 06:35 AM
I feel yourpain,hang in there

usmc-sooner
4/5/2011, 06:39 AM
sorry to hear

Boomer.....
4/5/2011, 07:16 AM
:(

Oldnslo
4/5/2011, 10:07 AM
Smokey and Exxon are there now, playing with Spanky.

Wishboned
4/5/2011, 10:36 AM
Thank you to everyone for your kind words and support. It does help.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/5/2011, 10:55 AM
sorry for your loss..

texaspokieokie
4/5/2011, 11:02 AM
it's Very tough. we had to do it once.

i liked what the vet said, Thank you Lord for all the pleasure she has given us!!!
15 years of truly pure love.

soonerbrat
4/5/2011, 11:13 AM
so sorry :(

C&CDean
4/5/2011, 01:05 PM
Smokey and Exxon are there now, playing with Spanky.

You named a dog "Exxon?" Why?

oumartin
4/5/2011, 03:03 PM
ya know I read the first couple words of this thread and though maybe you got married but now I see you lost your pet..

Sorry for your loss. :(

SunnySooner
4/5/2011, 06:41 PM
So sorry, it is so hard, but a good dog is truly one of those times where it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. Spanky was a lucky dog, I'm sure you'll see him again someday. Love is eternal, that I know.

olevetonahill
4/5/2011, 07:35 PM
You named a dog "Exxon?" Why?

Prolly caused IT Spilled a LOT :P

Hell Biznatcho Found my shack 4 years ago, Im so glad she did . Some of Yall member that story

I went to a friends Shack over the weekend Left Fri. Came Home Sun. evening
She came flying out the shack and before I could get out the truck , I had opened the door and she had jumped up in the truck and was In my lap. Had to spend 10 minutes Pettin her before I could even get out. Yea I hate her,and will be sad when she goes

Figure shes over 8 now :pop:

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/5/2011, 08:28 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are amazing and be thankful for all the time you spent together

2121Sooner
4/5/2011, 10:18 PM
Sorry your dog died Wishbone, I really am....dogs are way cool..........but it was a dog.

You want some real sadness, go to the top couple of threads about little kids passing away and in pain. That is what breaks my heart.

StoopTroup
4/5/2011, 10:35 PM
Sorry your dog died Wishbone, I really am....dogs are way cool..........but it was a dog.

You want some real sadness, go to the top couple of threads about little kids passing away and in pain. That is what breaks my heart.

Ever think it might be his sadness we are talking about?

Same with losing a child....we all have feelings of loss. The loss of a Child is definitely one of great sorrow as most folks are lucky enough to outlive their children. When they do not....it is a tragedy. When someone dog dies..they still suffer loss. 15 years of loyalty from a dog isn't something a person can always just turn their feelings on or off like a light switch.

Comparing the loss of a dog to a child is of course nothing that can even be compared......but being thoughtful of someone's loss whether it was their Child, their dog, cat, goldfish.....it's really a nice show of support IMO to let them know you hope their anxiety and or pain subsides and they can find it easier each day from here on out....

I don't think he was looking for more sadness to ease his pain....If anything....he was honoring the memory of a really good and loyal old friend....

2121Sooner
4/5/2011, 10:44 PM
And I am saying it was just a dog.

StoopTroup
4/5/2011, 10:49 PM
I'm just saying....humans have feelings....well....most of them

2121Sooner
4/5/2011, 10:53 PM
I have feelings

But just for things that really matter. If my son died at 15 it would destroy me for the rest of my life. I had a dog that was my best buddy when I was younger but I don't give that dog two thoughts anymore

Same thing about every other animal that anyone here has had that has died

That is a fact

MamaMia
4/5/2011, 11:41 PM
:(

StoopTroup
4/5/2011, 11:57 PM
I have feelings

But just for things that really matter. If my son died at 15 it would destroy me for the rest of my life. I had a dog that was my best buddy when I was younger but I don't give that dog two thoughts anymore

Same thing about every other animal that anyone here has had that has died

That is a fact

And.....no one here is denying you that. What's weird is that you are here in a thread that someone clearly is suffering from a loss and trying to counsel them with...."It's just a Dog".

If you feel that way....you could have probably kept it to yourself or left off with "Sorry your dog died Wishbone, I really am....dogs are way cool".

You lost me with the other comments.

MamaMia
4/6/2011, 12:39 AM

You want some real sadness, go to the top couple of threads about little kids passing away and in pain. That is what breaks my heart.Unnecessary and inappropriate.

Curly Bill
4/6/2011, 01:28 AM
I like when other people get all high and mighty and try to tell others what they should care about.

MamaMia
4/6/2011, 01:34 AM
And I am saying it was just a dog.You didn't post in either one of the threads about the children. :confused: Caring about Wishboned doesn't mean we don't care deeply about the children. There is no reason to be insensitive about Wishboneds loss. I'm sure there is plenty of room in our hearts for everyone.

texaspokieokie
4/6/2011, 08:15 AM
our last dog has been gone for about 15 yrs, i haven't forgotten about
her or the joy she provided us.

Wishboned
4/6/2011, 09:59 AM

Fu(k you a$$hole.

2121Sooner
4/6/2011, 11:19 AM
Fu(k you a$$hole.

That is just the sadness talking

I forgive you

olevetonahill
4/6/2011, 11:24 AM
our last dog has been gone for about 15 yrs, i haven't forgotten about
her or the joy she provided us.

In my 60 years Ive had 3 dogs that rank right up there with people IMHO

I think of em often, And the last one has been gone 9 years now.

2121Sooner
4/6/2011, 11:27 AM
What about that parrot? Does it rate as high as your dogs?

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/6/2011, 11:37 AM
That is just the sadness talking

I forgive you

Why do you feel the need to be a gigantic ****head?

olevetonahill
4/6/2011, 12:00 PM
What about that parrot? Does it rate as high as your dogs?

The ****in gator ranks higher than yer slimy ***:P

My best guess is cause hes a dick to start with;)

2121Sooner
4/6/2011, 12:03 PM

My best guess is cause hes a dick to start with;)

You forgot "gigantic", but other than that you are spot on

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 12:06 PM
I like when other people get all high and mighty and try to tell others what they should care about.

I'm not really trying to do that Bill. I'm just saying Wishbone was expressing the loss of a good friend.

I can even relate to someone trying to lighten the atmosphere with a joke or a story....

I think Mama hit it on the nose where I was a bit more wordy. Uncalled for and Inappropriate.

I compare it to maybe this....

The Family was having a huge Funeral for Grandma Kirpatrick, who had lived to the age of 93. She had touched so many lives in that 93 years but no one was as close to her as her Great Granddaughter Sarah. In the last few years of Grandma Kirpatricks life, Sarah had spent many an afternoon with Grandma K and they had discussed tons of things about Grandma K's life and Sarah's dreams. They were very close and Sarah was very upset when Grandma K died but she was very happy that she had been able to spend the last few years of her life with her and cherished those times. It would be a time of her life that she would cherish forever and later remember and hope to be able to pass on the Wisdom of her own life to her Great Granddaughter someday.

It was a wonderful Ceremony and the whole town was there. Sarah had prepared some words to honor her Great Grandmother and she shared them with the whole Town and the congregation that day. After she finished....there wasn't a dry eye in the Church.

Suddenly 2121Sooner stood up and said "For God's sake! She was 93 years old! WTF are you all crying about!

Later....2121Sooner was having a few drinks down at the local Bar when the Preacher of the Church came in. He had been Boxing Champion of the Fleet when he was in the Navy in younger years but had put all that behind him to serve God and his fellow man. Once in the Bar and in range of 2121Sooner he decided to again serve God and his fellow man by delivering a right cross and left upper cut to 2121's face.

The Preacher picked up his bar tab and the Bar owner told 2121 to never come back.

After some time 2121 decided to pack up his stuff and move to Hale Oklahoma.

2121Sooner
4/6/2011, 12:43 PM
No, see cause in your stupid story.......... the one who died is A HUMAN BEING!!!!

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 01:40 PM
No, see cause in your stupid story.......... the one who died is A HUMAN BEING!!!!

But....you were still an a-hole.

2121Sooner
4/6/2011, 01:45 PM
And you are still an idiot

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 01:49 PM
See ya.

C&CDean
4/6/2011, 01:49 PM
And you are in timeout.

Look dude/chick/whatever you are,

We all get your point. In fact, most of us really don't disagree with your point. It's a dog, not a human. We get it. We've discussed it around here ad nauseum on many a dead dog thread. Nobody on here said anything about comparing the death of a dog to the death of a human. That still doesn't mean we can't grieve the dog.

We simply don't need your ignorant *** up in here acting like, well, an ignorant ***. Strike two.

StoopTroup
4/6/2011, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Wishbone appreciates that Dean.

Hate to see a guy get hammered. Sorry if I was an idiot about it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/6/2011, 01:55 PM

You seem to be the only person who has a problem with any of this. YES we all realize that it's a dog, thank you for bringing that to our attention. HOWEVER, it's become blatantly obvious that you have never had a dog, cat, bird, squirrel, insect as a pet at any point in your life. Dogs give one thing to humans that the majority of humans don't give to one another and that's unconditional love and unwavering loyalty.

Sorry, if I had to choose between some Taliban neanderthal and my dog I would take my dog 1,000 out of 1,000 times and not regret it, ever. Just because you don't have the same beliefs as someone in no way gives you the right to **** all over someone else and their feelings. You are just coming off as a miserable person and quite honestly I feel sorry for you.

PS thanks Dean

olevetonahill
4/6/2011, 03:59 PM
Heh, Dean put a condom on the Dick :D

Curly Bill
4/6/2011, 10:49 PM
Yay Dean!

Now, can ya do something about spek so I can feel better by turning that butt-munch red? ;)

OUmillenium
4/7/2011, 09:35 AM
Sorry to hear.

My little Candy is a 10 year old Jack-Rat. She is the goods.

The Profit
4/7/2011, 09:43 AM
Ever think it might be his sadness we are talking about?

Same with losing a child....we all have feelings of loss. The loss of a Child is definitely one of great sorrow as most folks are lucky enough to outlive their children. When they do not....it is a tragedy. When someone dog dies..they still suffer loss. 15 years of loyalty from a dog isn't something a person can always just turn their feelings on or off like a light switch.

Comparing the loss of a dog to a child is of course nothing that can even be compared......but being thoughtful of someone's loss whether it was their Child, their dog, cat, goldfish.....it's really a nice show of support IMO to let them know you hope their anxiety and or pain subsides and they can find it easier each day from here on out....

I don't think he was looking for more sadness to ease his pain....If anything....he was honoring the memory of a really good and loyal old friend....

Extremely well said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 12:45 PM
Fu(k you a$$hole.

WOW! way to get around the profanity filter! ima use that before the day's over.

TIA

Adrian
4/7/2011, 01:09 PM
WOW! way to get around the profanity filter! ima use that before the day's over.

TIA

No you won't...

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 01:10 PM
No you won't...

Fu(k you a$$hole. you dont control me!!!

Adrian
4/7/2011, 01:12 PM
Fu(k you a$$hole. you dont control me!!!

There there now. Is that any way to treat an innernets friend?

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 01:20 PM
There there now. Is that any way to treat an innernets friend?

wish the mods would change my userID to bobstoopsleftpinky

Wishboned
4/7/2011, 01:33 PM
Extremely well said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

StoopTroop summed it up perfectly.

And thank you again for everyone's kind words and thoughts.

This board has some great people, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Adrian
4/7/2011, 01:33 PM
wish the mods would change my userID to bobstoopsleftpinky

For me, I kind of like the sound of sherricoalesfriedhair

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 02:30 PM
StoopTroop summed it up perfectly.

And thank you again for everyone's kind words and thoughts.

This board has some great people, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

so if someone says "What do you take pride in?" you say "Soonerfans.com"???

Romulus
4/7/2011, 02:53 PM
What kind of dog was it?
Sorry for your loss

MamaMia
4/7/2011, 02:55 PM
so if someone says "What do you take pride in?" you say "Soonerfans.com"???

2121, is that you?

Wishboned
4/7/2011, 07:38 PM
What kind of dog was it?
Sorry for your loss

He was a terrier.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/7/2011, 07:50 PM

I'll let Chuck Norris handle this

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/2011/04/81417665/lol.gif

2121Sooner
4/7/2011, 07:56 PM
2121, is that you?

Sadly for you tis not

I'll let Chuck Norris handle this

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/2011/04/81417665/lol.gif

boomer, you are so witty. But I can't blame you. This is such a dog eat dog world we live in and these things happen.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/7/2011, 08:02 PM
Sadly for you tis not

boomer, you are so witty. But I can't blame you. This is such a dog eat dog world we live in and these things happen.

It was a joke. I don't think you are a fag. Besides South Park said it meant someone who rides a Harley. Do you own a Harley by any chance? :D

2121Sooner
4/7/2011, 09:37 PM
No but I got drunk a few times in college and rode a hog or two