PDA

View Full Version : Mccay and receivers

w0lfe
4/4/2011, 02:19 PM
http://newsok.com/justin-mccay-showing-his-talent-in-spring-football/article/3555202?custom_click=rss

Anyone else think that this COULD be the best receiving corps under Stoops ?

gaylordfan1
4/4/2011, 02:26 PM
I will answer that question midway through the season next year. :D

NormanPride
4/4/2011, 03:10 PM
I heard McCay once palmed a medicine ball.

SoonerDood
4/4/2011, 04:38 PM
Gonna be hard to top Clayton, Jones, and Bradley since they all play(ed) in the NFL.

starclassic tama
4/4/2011, 04:51 PM
Gonna be hard to top Clayton, Jones, and Bradley since they all play(ed) in the NFL.

truth, but i'd be willing to bet that broyles, stills, and one more from this group all end up playing significantly in the NFL.

KantoSooner
4/4/2011, 05:02 PM
I'd put a buck or two on that bet.

WR is one position we need not worry about this year.

SoonerOX
4/4/2011, 06:23 PM
I remember the WR meltdown a couple years back. So glad we have a good stable of receivers.

GDC
4/4/2011, 07:37 PM

Gonna be hard to top Mackey, Smith, and Woolfolk since they won a national championship.

jersey sooner
4/4/2011, 07:45 PM

This

cccasooner2
4/4/2011, 08:17 PM
Gonna be hard to top Mackey, Smith, and Woolfolk since they won a national championship.

with Norman, Savage, and Fagan.

JLEW1818
4/4/2011, 08:26 PM
if you can throw TightEnd in the mix, then it's 2008 without doubt over any Oklahoma Stoops group

bornnbredou
4/4/2011, 09:24 PM
Im not sure if its the best class of receivers at the top, but i think this is the best depth weve had under Stoops. Who knows, maybe broyles and stills will make it even at the top too

GDC
4/4/2011, 09:27 PM
if you can throw TightEnd in the mix, then it's 2008 without doubt over any Oklahoma Stoops group

Did they win a national championship?

jersey sooner
4/4/2011, 09:30 PM
No, but neither did the 2000 receiving corps. Our defense won that national championship. If you're talking about talent, 03>00 any day of the week.

JLEW1818
4/4/2011, 10:18 PM
Did they win a national championship?

so is Josh better than Sam ?

Q better than AD ?

colinreturn
4/5/2011, 02:55 AM

Q better than AD ?

im with ya on that argument.

Sooners78
4/5/2011, 08:20 AM

In their respective national championship performances, I would take Josh over Sam. Josh controlled the game, and didn't make too many big mistakes. I just can't envision Heupel throwing that INT in the endzone.

NormanPride
4/5/2011, 09:05 AM
Josh was not asked to win us that game.

GDC
4/5/2011, 04:17 PM
No, but neither did the 2000 receiving corps. Our defense won that national championship. If you're talking about talent, 03>00 any day of the week.

The only measurement that matters is championships, according to Coach Stoops. I believe I value his knowledge and opinion concerning football matters more than yours, jlew's, or anybody's on this board for that matter.

jersey sooner
4/5/2011, 04:37 PM
Stoops told me to tell you to jump off a bridge

starclassic tama
4/5/2011, 04:41 PM
In their respective national championship performances, I would take Josh over Sam. Josh controlled the game, and didn't make too many big mistakes. I just can't envision Heupel throwing that INT in the endzone.

what INT in the endzone? the one that hit manny johnson in the chest on the 1 yard line, where all he had to do was turn around or fall backwards into the endzone?

EatLeadCommie
4/5/2011, 04:46 PM
It did indeed hit Manny right in the hands, though he had a couple dudes behind him who were about to stuff him shy of the EZ...one could argue that he was hit a little early, which is why he coughed the ball up.

The second interception from Sam was actually a great throw. Sam put it in about the only catchable place it could go, but it would've taken a great catch to haul it in. As it is, it took a great interception for UF to get that ball back.

I still get mad thinking about the TO we wasted after Gresham ran out of bounds to stop the clock. Really screwed up our options at the goalline.

jersey sooner
4/5/2011, 05:11 PM
what INT in the endzone? the one that hit manny johnson in the chest on the 1 yard line, where all he had to do was turn around or fall backwards into the endzone?

Sam never looked to the wide side of the field where he had Iggy all alone on a corner. Iggy had a wide open touchdown. I may never forgive Sam for that.

MI Sooner
4/5/2011, 07:14 PM
Is there a link to that pick on the goal line somewhere? I recall that throw being away from the body, into traffic, and being a bad decision, but I'd like to see it again. 2nd pick was just a great/lucky play by DB and the receiver could have made a better play on the ball.

MI Sooner
4/5/2011, 07:28 PM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2YqpxsU_Gw&feature=fvsr) are highlights from the game.

Pick 1 is around 3:50. Again, I think it was a mistake to throw to a guy at the one, even if he could have caught it.

Pick 2 is around 6:00, and I think it was a great throw under pressure that 99/100 times is either completed or dropped after the DB makes contact, but just lucky as hell to be picked.

Watching the highlights after the second pick, I'd forgotten how many damn 3rd downs they picked up when they had their 3 point lead.

**** I want that game back. I think Florida's offense likely could have done more, if necessary, as the game wore on, but what a bunch of missed opportunities.

If ifs and nuts...

jersey sooner
4/5/2011, 07:40 PM
After re-watching that play a couple times, Sam really blew it.

GrandStrandSooner
4/5/2011, 08:04 PM
The only measurement that matters is championships, according to Coach Stoops. I believe I value his knowledge and opinion concerning football matters more than yours, jlew's, or anybody's on this board for that matter.

You've got to be kidding right? I'll give you that argument when it comes to a team but individual players or player groups?

You really think a bunch of converted "receivers" were our best crew ever?
Maybe you think our 85 receivers were our best. After all they did win a championship.

starclassic tama
4/5/2011, 08:30 PM
After re-watching that play a couple times, Sam really blew it.

yeah that play was quite a bit different from what i remembered. manny still dropped the ball when he shouldn't have, but i didn't remember a defender being that close to him.

starclassic tama
4/5/2011, 08:31 PM
You've got to be kidding right? I'll give you that argument when it comes to a team but individual players or player groups?

Maybe you think our 85 receivers were our best. After all they did win a championship.

haha pwned

MR2-Sooner86
4/5/2011, 08:33 PM
If we're talking as a group and just raw talent...

'08 receivers > '03 receivers > '00 receivers

All three groups played the big one. Yes, they won it all in '00 but that game was close.

Our defense did more than our offense in winning it all in '00. You want to talk about interceptions? I remember Heupel driving down to the goal-line and throwing a pick to FSU. I wouldn't hold him as a saint and Bradford blowing it for us. If we had the '00 defense in '08 we win it all.

In '03 we just had allot of bad breaks and a banged up team. If we're healthy, it's anybody's game. Remember Clayton was fingertips away from sending that game into OT.

In fact, how did we get our only touchdown in '00? That's right, Calmus and Roy Williams flushing out Winkie, forcing him to fumble, and getting it at the 15 yard line. Up until that point it was nothing but field goals.

GDC
4/5/2011, 08:45 PM

Different era, totally different style of offense, so your poorly conceived point is rendered invalid.

MI Sooner
4/5/2011, 08:53 PM
If we're talking as a group and just raw talent...

'08 receivers > '03 receivers > '00 receivers

All three groups played the big one. Yes, they won it all in '00 but that game was close.

Our defense did more than our offense in winning it all in '00. You want to talk about interceptions? I remember Heupel driving down to the goal-line and throwing a pick to FSU. I wouldn't hold him as a saint and Bradford blowing it for us. If we had the '00 defense in '08 we win it all.

In '03 we just had allot of bad breaks and a banged up team. If we're healthy, it's anybody's game. Remember Clayton was fingertips away from sending that game into OT.

In fact, how did we get our only touchdown in '00? That's right, Calmus and Roy Williams flushing out Winkie, forcing him to fumble, and getting it at the 15 yard line. Up until that point it was nothing but field goals.

I have a hard time saying that Manny and Joaquin as seniors, Broyles as a freshman, and a few other contributors were better/more talented than Clayton, Jones, Bradley, Wilson, and Peoples (and throw in Rankins). Isn't that one first and three second round draft picks?

jersey sooner
4/5/2011, 09:18 PM
I have a hard time saying that Manny and Joaquin as seniors, Broyles as a freshman, and a few other contributors were better/more talented than Clayton, Jones, Bradley, Wilson, and Peoples (and throw in Rankins). Isn't that one first and three second round draft picks?

Well, I consider the TE a part of a "receiving corp." So when you throw in Gresham, the argument can be made. He was ****ing unstoppable. But personally, I'd probably still give the edge to 03.

jersey sooner
4/5/2011, 09:20 PM
yeah that play was quite a bit different from what i remembered. manny still dropped the ball when he shouldn't have, but i didn't remember a defender being that close to him.

Yea, like I said, it wasn't the pass that blew it. It was the decision.

MI Sooner
4/5/2011, 09:28 PM
Oh, and really, it's the 04 receivers that were the best, since that was when Wilson and Bradley really came into their own, and Peoples, Jones, and Clayton were still around.

jersey sooner
4/5/2011, 09:37 PM
Oh, and really, it's the 04 receivers that were the best, since that was when Wilson and Bradley really came into their own, and Peoples, Jones, and Clayton were still around.

This is true, but when you throw in that freshman sensation running back, there weren't enough balls to go around.

OK2U
4/10/2011, 10:10 PM
Justin McCay on twitter earlier:

RT JMcCay19 Trying to rest. And hoping tomorrow the doctor tells me good news. Pray for me and my recovery

gaylordfan1
4/10/2011, 10:54 PM
Justin McCay on twitter earlier:

Tit... Fart.... Damn....

OK2U
4/11/2011, 12:07 AM
http://bit.ly/hMX3Bt

gaylordfan1
4/11/2011, 12:19 AM
http://bit.ly/hMX3Bt

Vary vague answer to our questions. I wish the kid my best. Hoping it's only a sprain.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2011, 12:48 AM
Once we finally get that 6'6" from Missouri who can't be stopped, next years will be the greatest. So I am going to say 2012!!

w0lfe
4/11/2011, 10:20 AM
Once we finally get that 6'6" from Missouri who can't be stopped, next years will be the greatest. So I am going to say 2012!!

It would be sickening for sure

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 10:25 AM
ehhh... I'm thinking 2011 might be a better season than 2012

The Schedule is favorable this year. Tech at home, Mizzou at home, aggie south at home.

next year we play @tech, @mizzou, and @ tamu

that won't be fun

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah but when you are unstoppable, It doesn't matter if it is in Anchorage Alaska or Peru. You dominate. This man child supposedly will be inducted in the college hall of fame before ever stepping on the field!!

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 12:00 PM
LOL

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah but when you are unstoppable, It doesn't matter if it is in Anchorage Alaska or Peru. You dominate. This man child supposedly will be inducted in the college hall of fame before ever stepping on the field!!

Along with all the other can't miss products. I would list their names, but I doubt many of us would recognize them.

The "can't miss" talk is rather Hornish.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2011, 12:05 PM
I don't think you understand Leroy. This guy is part Jerry Rice...part Jesus Christ. Supposedly (Just a rumor at this point), he can multiply touchdowns out of a basket!

TahoeSOONER
4/11/2011, 12:18 PM
Anyone have any info on Mccays injury?

jersey sooner
4/11/2011, 12:19 PM
He's actually part Calvin Johnson part George Washington. Jesus was a little overrated. But since you have a stick up your ***, let's make a bet. I'll bet you $500 he's ranked the #1 overall recruit by rivals, scout, and ESPN come signing day.

Widescreen
4/11/2011, 12:19 PM
He looks good but he's no Ron Powlus.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2011, 12:38 PM
Being the #1 recruit comes with great baggage!! I would definitely take Brock Berlin over Sam Bradford. I would definitely take Lorenzo Booker over Demarco Murray. Being #1 means so much, but to get back on track. I haven't heard anything about McCay. Receivers do look good though

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 12:41 PM
did Bryan Royles return this year?

Mississippi Sooner
4/11/2011, 12:45 PM
did Bryan Royles return this year?

Yep, and hell's comin' with him.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2011, 01:00 PM
Nah, he declared for the NHL draft, hell of a goalie!

MiccoMacey
4/11/2011, 01:18 PM
Different era, totally different style of offense, so your poorly conceived point is rendered invalid.

But that's not your criteria you used. You said NC's were what counted.

Can't change up in the middle of the argument.

BoomerJ
4/11/2011, 07:16 PM
He looks good but he's no Ron Powlus.

And he's no Bill Brasky!

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2011, 07:31 PM
He's actually part Calvin Johnson part George Washington. Jesus was a little overrated. But since you have a stick up your ***, let's make a bet. I'll bet you $500 he's ranked the #1 overall recruit by rivals, scout, and ESPN come signing day.

Well then! We gotta have him. At all costs.

Out of curiosity, have we landed a #1 recruit since Marcus Dupree?

jersey sooner
4/11/2011, 07:54 PM

Nope. And Dupree wasn't a #1 recruit ;)

GDC
4/11/2011, 09:26 PM
But that's not your criteria you used. You said NC's were what counted.

Can't change up in the middle of the argument.

I agree with you. I specifically referenced Stoops. The other poster suddenly jumped to 1985, not me.

starclassic tama
4/11/2011, 09:44 PM

what does this even mean? there isn't any sort of official ranking of recruits. many had adrian peterson as the number one player, and some questioned whether he could play in the NFL straight out of high school, but do you consider him the #1 recruit?

Bishop3000
4/11/2011, 10:04 PM
Well then! We gotta have him. At all costs.

worked out well

jersey sooner
4/11/2011, 10:07 PM

worked out well

Don't feed his head.

JLEW1818
4/11/2011, 11:14 PM
Any chance that Tim McGraw sings Johnny's Daddy is taking him fishing?? Would this increase chances??? What if he calls him Big Mike? Indian Outlaw?

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/12/2011, 01:26 AM
I would trade the 6'6" guy for an All American kicker however.

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 03:21 AM
Nope. And Dupree wasn't a #1 recruit ;)

I'm surprised you are even familiar with the name Marcus Dupree. He played prior to our 2000 national title team, along with other players like Billy Sims (note the spelling) and Thomas Lott (no, not Ronnie Lott).

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/12/2011, 04:25 AM
He wasn't aware of who he is...he thought you were talking about Maurice Dupree, the WR for the Jaguars

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 10:17 AM
He wasn't aware of who he is...he thought you were talking about Maurice Dupree, the WR for the Jaguars

Who he probably thinks played for OU.

jersey sooner
4/12/2011, 12:42 PM

Says the bitch who won't put his money where his mouth is.

Who he probably thinks played for OU.

Says the bitch who has a woman's knowledge of football. "OMG guys, don't you think it would be totally cool if we, like, totally let lineman run the football! LOLZ Switzer did it, so like, why wouldn't it work???? OMG tell me what you guys think!"

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 01:25 PM
omg i no rite

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/12/2011, 01:59 PM
Haha I am a bitch because I DON'T care if we get the #1 recruit. I mean we have got the number #1 recruit exactly once this decade and he never won a National Championship. Let's see out of the Last 10 #1 recruits in the country...exactly zero of them have won a national championship.

NormanPride
4/12/2011, 02:08 PM
no u

Howzit
4/12/2011, 02:28 PM
your poorly conceived point is rendered invalid.

My attorney ex-wife used to say this to me.

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 02:30 PM
Says the bitch who has a woman's knowledge of football. "OMG guys, don't you think it would be totally cool if we, like, totally let lineman run the football! LOLZ Switzer did it, so like, why wouldn't it work???? OMG tell me what you guys think!"

Actually, Switzer (one of our former coaches) didn't do it.

And if by "woman's knowledge" you mean "pre-bandwagon knowledge of the team" then so be it.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/13/2011, 02:46 AM
I sure hope the ladies of Soonerfans negged his *** :P