PDA

View Full Version : Full Hog Backfield

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 01:46 PM
I remember one time (around 1988) when Switzer was going to install a full hog backfield, with all three RBs replaced by offensive linemen. The opportunity to use it never arose, but I thought it would be a pretty good recruiting tool.

Do you think OL recruits would be swayed by the opportunity to carry the ball in a game? Or do you think they will see it as a gimmick? Just curious.

gaylordfan1
4/4/2011, 01:49 PM
Man, they would be foaming at the mouth for that opportunity.

dynersooner
4/4/2011, 01:55 PM
yes. OLmen are well known for their EXCELLENT hands. this will be a 'UGE success...

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 01:57 PM
There is probably a reason you don't see this, it's more effective to have those you've trained to carry the ball carry it and those you've trained to block blocking.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 01:58 PM
yes. OLmen are well known for their EXCELLENT hands. this will be a 'UGE success...

The idea was to use it in the late stages of a blowout. But the final games of the season were not blowouts, so the idea never got tested.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 01:59 PM
There is probably a reason you don't see this, it's more effective to have those you've trained to carry the ball carry it and those you've trained to block blocking.

But it's been done before. See William Perry.

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 02:00 PM
Didn't Bama try this with that Cody guy a couple of years back and get stuffed at the goal line?

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 02:01 PM
Didn't Bama try this with that Cody guy a couple of years back and get stuffed at the goal line?

But I don't think Switzer was planning this as an effective strategy, but more for a fun outing for his OL. Not sure.

William Perry did score TDs, btw. (I think he also fumbled on the goal line once.)

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 02:05 PM
I think Saban just thought Cody was better than his full backs. I think it had similar results of this Perry guy you mentioned. Worked until the d wasn't hella confused, then he's just a slow fat tub of lard with no ability to punch through the line.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 02:07 PM
I remember one time (around 1988) when Switzer was going to install a full hog backfield, with all three RBs replaced by offensive linemen. The opportunity to use it never arose, but I thought it would be a pretty good recruiting tool.

Do you think OL recruits would be swayed by the opportunity to carry the ball in a game? Or do you think they will see it as a gimmick? Just curious.

Things were way to corrupt back then for that to be a good idea right?

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 02:09 PM
But I don't think Switzer was planning this as an effective strategy, but more for a fun outing for his OL. Not sure.

William Perry did score TDs, btw. (I think he also fumbled on the goal line once.)

I'd like to see the look on his face if you were to ask him about it....

Gate 6 before games....don't let him run you down with his bike.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 02:12 PM
One day left leroid.....

http://soonersports.cstvauctions.com/auctiondisplay.cfm?auctionnbr=30785

Next bid = $3,575.00

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 02:13 PM
This experience includes:
• Two (2) sideline passes for before, during and after the game
• A VIP tour of the locker room, team facilities and press box
• Visit to the OU radio booth during the game broadcast
• Meeting Coach Stoops, the football staff and members of the team
• One (1) authentic OU football helmet for collecting autographs
• Photos and video from OU Athletics documenting your day
• Hotel accommodations for two people for Friday and Saturday night
• Dinner for two Friday night (restaurant voucher)
• Game day parking pass in close proximity to the stadium

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 02:13 PM
Also....they have rules for you to follow too....I know you like that....

NCAA Rules
Please understand OU's obligation and commitment to abide by NCAA rules and regulations. Complying with these rules will ensure that OU student-athletes remain eligible for competition. Failure to comply places the entire University of Oklahoma Athletics Department in violation of NCAA rules and jeopardizes our institution's good standing with the NCAA.

• Due to NCAA Rules, prospect-aged athletes (grades 9-12) are not eligible to participate as a bidder, an auction item winner or guest of the auction item winner.

• Re-distribution of auctioned items must have written approval from the OU Athletics Compliance Office. Memorabilia may not be re-sold for any purpose without prior OU Athletics Compliance Office approval.

Breadburner
4/4/2011, 02:45 PM
Didn't Japorkie Lane from Tamu run out of this set.....???

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 04:18 PM
Something about bidding and auctions. Not sure what that's about, but whatever.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 04:29 PM
BTW, only one bothered to answer my question: Do you think an OL prospect would let this influence his decision-making? If so, would it be worth it? I mean, if the game is a blowout why not? Barry thought it was a good idea at one time.

If we see the full-hog next season it was my idea. (Well, okay Barry's.)

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 04:55 PM
BTW, only one bothered to answer my question: Do you think an OL prospect would let this influence his decision-making? If so, would it be worth it? I mean, if the game is a blowout why not? Barry thought it was a good idea at one time.

Barry retired. Bob is Coach now Leriod. Sheez.....if you send me $20 I'll send you some current reading material about this years Team. Send me an address too so I know where to send it all.

Oh yeah....do you think knowing Bob was going to do something like you said we'd have a stable full of RBs like we do? RBs aren't good replacements for linemen....

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 05:02 PM
Barry retired.

Yeah, I know.

So what do you all think of the idea? Good? Bad?

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I know.

So what do you all think of the idea? Good? Bad?

Barry did stuff back then that got him a lot of attention with the NCAA. He said things they didn't like and was always pushing things to the limit. When things went bad....he got a lot of attention. Mostly negative. I truly believe Barry wanted to help the Student Athletes especially the ones that came to School from really poor Families but could excel and be exceptional in Football and in Life. I think he felt like many of us that the NCAA needed to consider loosening the purse strings around money and instead....they tightened it.

The Hog idea has been tried and although it might have been something Barry could do in the past....with the amounts of Schollies that Bob has available these days.....his focus should be on recruiting the way he does right now. He's been pretty successful the last ten years and using an old trick like that just is a waste of time and resources I'd have to think. Ultimately it would be up to Bob and you should send Barry Tramel that question and see if he's got the balls to ask Bob in a press Conference I guess.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 05:15 PM
Barry did stuff back then that got him a lot of attention with the NCAA. He said things they didn't like and was always pushing things to the limit. When things went bad....he got a lot of attention. Mostly negative. I truly he believed in helping the Student Athlete especially the ones that came to School from really poor Families but could excel and be exceptional in Football and in Life. I think he felt like many of us that the NCAA needed to consider loosening the purse strings around money and instead....they tightened it.

I feel like I'm reading the Preface to Bootlegger's Boy.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 05:17 PM
I feel like I'm reading the Preface to Bootlegger's Boy.

Is that all you read? :texan:

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 06:22 PM

I think saying you get to win Championships is his biggest sell to linemen, not you'll get to carry the ball maybe once in four years...

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 06:25 PM
I think saying you get to win Championships is his biggest sell to linemen, not you'll get to carry the ball maybe once in four years...

True, but we haven't won one in 11 years. (Yes, we have won conference championships, but I'm not sure how important that is to a recruit.)

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 06:26 PM

You tell a lineman (offense of defense) that they will get the chance to carry the ball...they will love you for ever, especially if they do get to carry the ball!

Linemen always dream about recovering that fumble for a TD or getting that short yardage first down/TD.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 06:29 PM

Yeah, let me tell you, it takes a lot of training to know how to place your hands when getting ready to accept a hand off, or to know what holes to hit from the play call.

:P

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 06:32 PM
True, but we haven't won one in 11 years. (Yes, we have won conference championships, but I'm not sure how important that is to a recruit.)

What does Texas say? Or losur? We were Big 12 South Co Champions? I mean sure can't hurt to advertise conference championships. By looking at the way the players celebrated after the game this year, especially the first year guys, it seems like recruits would care.

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, let me tell you, it takes a lot of training to know how to place your hands when getting ready to accept a hand off, or to know what holes to hit from the play call.

:P

If your slow as **** you might not be able to hit those holes. Why even waste the time in practice teaching that stuff to a lineman when we have like 5 awesome backs? I don't think telling a lineman recruit they could carry the ball is going to make much difference in their decision.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 06:37 PM
What does Texas say? Or losur? We were Big 12 South Co Champions? I mean sure can't hurt to advertise conference championships. By looking at the way the players celebrated after the game this year, especially the first year guys, it seems like recruits would care.

I can see celebrating the win, but I'm not sure as a recruit how much I am devoted to conference success. "Come here and you can play for a conference title." Hmmmm... is that real enticing? Not sure.

Even so, it never hurts to have an additional edge. If I was an OL given a chance to play for a team that will let me play the RB position on a rare occassion, that would seem pretty exciting. It gets my name on tv and puts me in the camera's spotlight.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 06:39 PM
If your slow as **** you might not be able to hit those holes. Why even waste the time in practice teaching that stuff to a lineman when we have like 5 awesome backs?

You wouldn't. Again, this would only come into play when far ahead late in the game. I doubt the coaching staff would spend much time preparing. It would be done mostly for funsies.

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 06:44 PM
You wouldn't. Again, this would only come into play when far ahead late in the game. I doubt the coaching staff would spend much time preparing. It would be done mostly for funsies.

That's ok then, if it's not a real play where you are expecting results. Didn't Torance Marshall get in on a couple offensive plays as a blocker in the NCG? So I would guess Bob isn't opposed to something like this.

jersey sooner
4/4/2011, 06:48 PM
Your grasp of the game of football is ****ing embarassing.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 06:54 PM
If your slow as **** you might not be able to hit those holes. Why even waste the time in practice teaching that stuff to a lineman when we have like 5 awesome backs? I don't think telling a lineman recruit they could carry the ball is going to make much difference in their decision.

Hey, lets go the extra mile and make what I said more than what it was. :rolleyes:

It wont make much of a difference if you tell a lineman that...in fact you would really make yourself look foolish and desperate.

However, from experience, there is more training to get into the right position for a OLineman than any RB has to do. Correct footwork, agility, explosiveness off the ball, and positioning. Learning how to create a distance between you and the defender, but not a great distance, just a distance that gives you an advantage over that defender so he cannot shuck you or swim move you very easily. Learning what to look for when on the line before the snap. Learning what holes you are to protect or to clear out. Learning the proper footwork when getting ready to pull, and learning how not to give away that you are pulling (i.e, not putting less weight on your hands or being slightly turned in the direction you are pulling).

Taking a hand off to the left? Right arm up, left arm down. Taking a hand off to the left, left arm up, right arm down.
Then all you go to do is learn the holes when running the ball.

Sure a RB does some blocking, but watch them, most of the time, they are cut blocking or merely getting in the way of the defender (which is technically blocking). And sure the RBs need to learn how to catch...but we all learn that as kids!

The only thing a Lineman doesnt have that the RBs do is long distance speed. they are about equal within the first 5 or 10 yards off the snap of the ball.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 06:58 PM
Even so, it never hurts to have an additional edge. If I was an OL given a chance to play for a team that will let me play the RB position on a rare occassion, that would seem pretty exciting. It gets my name on tv and puts me in the camera's spotlight.

If you used that as a recruiting tool, then you make yourself look desperate and foolish...and most likely a liar when it doesnt happen.

Linemen are not worried about running the ball, most of us do not expect it, because we know what we can and cannot do effectively.

Granted, no lineman would ever tell you that would not want to run the ball if given a chance.

Tigeman
4/4/2011, 08:20 PM

That's why you say, "We've got there more than anyone else this decade. You have the greatest chance of seeing that game with us. And sure we haven't finished it....but we've just been missing that certain piece to finish the puzzle....and your it! You and this class are my key to winning the championship this time!"

Sure it's corny, but you can bet your *** the recruit is gonna keep it in the back of his mind.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 10:13 PM

Huh, wuh?

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 10:15 PM
That's why you say, "We've got there more than anyone else this decade. You have the greatest chance of seeing that game with us. And sure we haven't finished it....but we've just been missing that certain piece to finish the puzzle....and your it! You and this class are my key to winning the championship this time!"

Sure it's corny, but you can bet your *** the recruit is gonna keep it in the back of his mind.

No doubt about it. But I think coaches tend to mention other things about playing for OU as well. They don't just lean on one pitch.

swardboy
4/7/2011, 06:09 AM
The title of this set is too Arkansawy....make it more Soonerish, like, the Land Run O.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 09:14 AM
The title of this set is too Arkansawy....make it more Soonerish, like, the Land Run O.

That was Switzer's name for it -- Full Hog... hey, wait a minute...

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 12:29 PM
i have my new sigline.

in response to your wonderment, id say its slightly more important than not winning conference championships...

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 01:18 PM
i have my new sigline.

in response to your wonderment, id say its slightly more important than not winning conference championships...

Not winning conference championships hasn't bothered Notre Dame's recruiting any. Texas has relatively few conference titles in comparison to OU, but they outrecruit us almost every year.

One problem we have as fans is that we project our own wishes onto recruits who don't necessarily share them. I'm not sure how many high school players care that much about conference titles until they actually sign with the school. I think it's an open question.

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 02:43 PM
Not winning conference championships hasn't bothered Notre Dame's recruiting any. Texas has relatively few conference titles in comparison to OU, but they outrecruit us almost every year.

One problem we have as fans is that we project our own wishes onto recruits who don't necessarily share them. I'm not sure how many high school players care that much about conference titles until they actually sign with the school. I think it's an open question.

and "bald" isnt a hair color, Descartes...

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 02:53 PM
and "bald" isnt a hair color, Descartes...

Color it however you want, but if Notre Dame doesn't even compete for conference championships but can still recruit well, that tends to shoot down your argument.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 02:56 PM
Color it however you want, but if Notre Dame doesn't even compete for conference championships but can still recruit well, that tends to shoot down your argument.

Their recruiting classes are overrated, just like they are every year. Notre Lame sucks big dick.

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 02:58 PM

well, lets see here. Florida tends to out recruit Kentucky. USC tends to our ecruit UCLA. Ohio St tends to out recruit Indiana. and, um, oh yeah, Oklahoma tends to out recruit OSU.

ssssssssoooooooooooooooo, anyway, thanks for the sig line....

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 03:11 PM

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:12 PM
well, lets see here. Florida tends to out recruit Kentucky. USC tends to our ecruit UCLA. Ohio St tends to out recruit Indiana. and, um, oh yeah, Oklahoma tends to out recruit OSU.

ssssssssoooooooooooooooo, anyway, thanks for the sig line....

And the only thing that separates Florida from Kentucky is conference championships?

Dude, you're an idiot.

As for Notre Dame...

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/39221/notre-dame-recruiting-analysis-2

We've seen many highly-rated Notre Dame recruiting classes before. But we have rarely seen one with this many big-time defensive line prospects. Kelly proved that the Irish can indeed compete for and sign the best players in the country at that position. Combine these players with the way the defense played down the stretch of the 2010 season, and the path back to prominence is pretty clear for Notre Dame if everything works out as planned. Regardless, this class gives Irish fans a lot of reasons to be optimistic about the future.

Yet they have ZERO conference titles.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:13 PM

What I said is absolutely true: Notre Dame does not compete for conference titles, yet rakes in high quality recruiting classes.

I await your explanation.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 03:15 PM
And the only thing that separates Florida from Kentucky is conference championships?

Dude, you're an idiot.

Hahaha. Conference championships = winning. So yes, conference championships is what separates Florida from Kentucky.

Dude, you're a ****ing idiot. And a woman.

As for Notre Dame...

Yet they have ZERO conference titles.

Unlike you, recruits know football. So they're able to get past the fact that Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 03:19 PM
What I said is absolutely true: Notre Dame does not compete for conference titles, yet rakes in high quality recruiting classes.

I await your explanation.

They pay more?

Not saying that conference championships are the only thing, but to deny that they have no importance to recruits is stupid.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:20 PM
Unlike you, recruits know football. So they're able to get past the fact that Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference.

If anything, you're supporting my argument that winning conference championships is not necessarily that important to high school players. That's pretty much what you're admitting.

(It will matter to some recruits, I suppose. Not sure to what extent.)

Quik Sand
4/7/2011, 03:20 PM
:pop:

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:22 PM
They pay more?

Not saying that conference championships are the only thing, but to deny that they have no importance to recruits is stupid.

How important was it to DeMarco Murray to win a Big-12 title as a high school player in Nevada? It might have been, but I would think it would be rather odd.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 03:23 PM
How important is winning to a recruit?

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:25 PM
How important is winning to a recruit?

Very important. But that isn't the argument.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 03:28 PM
If anything, you're supporting my argument that winning conference championships is not necessarily that important to high school players. That's pretty much what you're admitting.

(It will matter to some recruits, I suppose. Not sure to what extent.)

What doesn't prove your point is that Notre Dame has all but been irreverent since the creation of the major conference format.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 03:31 PM
Very important. But that isn't the argument.

Winning your conference = winning. Transitive property. I thought you were the math teacher :D

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:32 PM
What doesn't prove your point is that Notre Dame has all but been irreverent since the creation of the major conference format.

That even further strengthens my point, because you can't attribute their recruiting prowess to sheer wins and losses.

They recruit well. Just about everyone in the recruiting game admits this. Yet they dont play for a conference title. How can that be?

starclassic tama
4/7/2011, 03:33 PM
the notre dame argument is just pathetic, and typical of leroy. notre dame can compete for a national championship without playing in a conference. they are the only team not in a conference that can actually compete for a championship. everyone else is in a conference leroy. and to win a national championship, 9/10 you have to win your conference first.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:33 PM
Winning your conference = winning. Transitive property. I thought you were the math teacher :D

So Notre Dame cannot win, because they cannot win a conference?

Somehow I think that the terms "winning" and "winning a conference" are not strict synonyms.

picasso
4/7/2011, 03:38 PM

Yes, Notre Dame is your average run of the mill football program.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:38 PM
the notre dame argument is just pathetic, and typical of leroy. notre dame can compete for a national championship without playing in a conference.

In other words, playing for a conference title is not necessarily all that important to a recruit.

they are the only team not in a conference that can actually compete for a championship. everyone else is in a conference leroy. and to win a national championship, 9/10 you have to win your conference first.

So now the argument shifts to winning a national title, which I have never denied.

Yes, you usually have to win a conference to win a national championship, but that just makes winning a conference a means to an end, not the end itself. How many recruits dream of winning the Big XII title? I dunno. How many recruits dream of winning a national title? Probably lots.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 03:39 PM
So Notre Dame cannot win, because they cannot win a conference?

Somehow I think that the terms "winning" and "winning a conference" are not strict synonyms.

They don't win either. Notre Dame sucks...it's because of their name or money or something. Most schools who want good recruits have to win. If you win a good proportion of your games, you're probably competing for conference championships.

picasso
And full hog backfield is Arkie hillbilly slang for being fully aroused. You should have known that already roid.:D

Leroy Lizard

How old were these recruits the last time Notre Dame dominated college football?

picasso
4/7/2011, 03:41 PM
How old were these recruits the last time Notre Dame dominated college football?

What's that matter? They have their own network. They have famous alumni. They are a good coach away from being right on top again.

Quite different than Indiana U.

fart.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:41 PM
They don't win either. Notre Dame sucks...it's because of their name or money or something.

Wow, you really researched this one thoroughly.

Most schools who want good recruits have to win. If you win a good proportion of your games, you're probably competing for conference championships.

So you shift the argument once again.

The question is, how badly do high school players want to win a conference title?

Sure, they want to win, and if they win enough they will likely win a conference title. But that doesn't make the trophy their dream quest.

picasso
4/7/2011, 03:43 PM
Wow, you really researched this one thoroughly.

So you shift the argument once again.

The question is, how badly do high school players want to win a conference title?

Sure, they want to win, and if they win enough they will likely win a conference title. But that doesn't make the trophy their dream quest.

You're right. Let's poll all the current Sooners on the roster and ask them why they didn't go to oSu or some other type place.
Get on that roid.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:44 PM
What's that matter? They have their own network. They have famous alumni. They are a good coach away from being right on top again.

Quite different than Indiana U.

fart.

But those players who go to Indiana have a chance of playing for a conference title. Not a good one, but a chance nonetheless. But those that go to Notre Dame have NO chance. SO why would anyone want to sign with Notre Dame?

In other words, this idea that recruits pick schools to win conference titles is possibly overblown. There is far more to it, and I would rank the conference trophy pretty far down the list. How far? Not sure.

picasso
4/7/2011, 03:44 PM

And you just shifted your argument troll doosh. From conference titles to dominating college football.

Hella move there.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 03:45 PM
In other words, playing for a conference title is not necessarily all that important to a recruit.

So now the argument shifts to winning a national title, which I have never denied.

Yes, you usually have to win a conference to win a national championship, but that just makes winning a conference a means to an end, not the end itself. How many recruits dream of winning the Big XII title? I dunno. How many recruits dream of winning a national title? Probably lots.

If they dream if winning an MNC they don't go to ND. When was their last title? You were saying earlier in this thread that since OU hadn't won one since 2000 that had been a long time or something to that effect.

picasso
4/7/2011, 03:45 PM
But those players who go to Indiana have a chance of playing for a conference title. Not a good one, but a chance nonetheless. But those that go to Notre Dame have NO chance. SO why would anyone want to sign with Notre Dame?

In other words, this idea that recruits pick schools to win conference titles is possibly overblown. There is far more to it, and I would rank the conference trophy pretty far down the list. How far? Not sure.

That makes more sense. But I'm betting our 7 Big 12 titles has helped quite a bit since we tried to recruit back in '97.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:46 PM
You're right. Let's poll all the current Sooners on the roster and ask them why they didn't go to oSu or some other type place.
Get on that roid.

Go ahead. You'll get a lot of "winning" and "playing for national titles" and "great place to be." Conference championship trophies? How many would list that as their goal while playing in high school? Again, I don't know.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:48 PM
And you just shifted your argument troll doosh. From conference titles to dominating college football.

No, YOU did.

I was just countering the notion that players choose Notre Dame on account of its football greatness.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:49 PM
If they dream if winning an MNC they don't go to ND. When was their last title? You were saying earlier in this thread that since OU hadn't won one since 2000 that had been a long time or something to that effect.

We all know that recruits pick schools for many reasons. There is no disagreement there.

dynersooner
4/7/2011, 03:51 PM
OK, LEroy, lets talk apples to apples.

a superstud from kansas gets to choose between going to OU or KU to play football, which one did he choose?

answer carefully, b/c there IS a correct answer,and funny thing is, i found a link to his interview on the day he committed.

and LeRoy, if you really are as smart as you say you are, i bet you can already guess what it says. can you? huh? can you guess one of the main reasons he chose the school he chose? come on, i bet you can...

so, anyway, thanks again for the sig line, dude. its awesome. ive alreayd gotten 3 compliments via PM on it. of course i give you all the credit...

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:51 PM
That makes more sense. But I'm betting our 7 Big 12 titles has helped quite a bit since we tried to recruit back in '97.

Maybe. It does show that OU wins a lot of football games, but I'm just wondering how many recruits list the conference championship itself as a high priority when choosing schools. I doubt it is high on their list.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:53 PM

a superstud from kansas gets to choose between going to OU or KU to play football, which one did he choose?

Tells us nothing. Too many variables. OU wins more games period. Also OU competes for national titles, not just conference titles. And OU has a greater history behind it and is seen on tv more.

To say that the only thing that separates OU from KU is conference titles is asinine.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 03:54 PM

So if 11 years is too long, 20 years or whatever it is for ND. And before that another 20 years or something...

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 03:55 PM
So if 11 years is too long, 20 years or whatever it is for ND. And before that another 20 years or something...

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

jumperstop
4/7/2011, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

It made more sense when we were talking about ND. Honestly though I don't remember....recruits care about conference championships something or another.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 04:07 PM
It made more sense when we were talking about ND. Honestly though I don't remember....recruits care about conference championships something or another.

Maybe some do, but the ones that sign with Notre Dame obviously don't. And Notre Dame has never had trouble attracting great talent.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 04:09 PM
I'm beginning to love the way lizzy has no shame whatsoever. I know it's the internet, but he is still a special kind of breed...

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 04:13 PM
I'm beginning to love the way lizzy has no shame whatsoever. I know it's the internet, but he is still a special kind of breed...

The special kind of breed that logically kicks your *** up and down a thread.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 04:18 PM
hahaha ok lizzy, you said you think winning the conference is pretty far down the list. Do you think winning a bowl game is higher on the list?

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 04:20 PM
hahaha ok lizzy, you said you think winning the conference is pretty far down the list. Do you think winning a bowl game is higher on the list?

Hard to say.

I think OU winning a bowl game is important to me as a Sooner fan. But I'm not a high school recruit, so I can't pretend to know what drives him.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 04:21 PM
Is winning a bowl game more important to you as a Sooner fan than winning the conference?

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 04:24 PM
Is winning a bowl game more important to you as a Sooner fan than winning the conference?

Depends on which bowl, I guess.

What's your point?

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 04:28 PM
I guess he didn't have one.

answer carefully, b/c there IS a correct answer,and funny thing is, i found a link to his interview on the day he committed.

I hung out in here long enough for you to post that link. Nice try.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 04:29 PM
Gotta get back to work.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 04:36 PM
My point is that these recruits know football much more than you (not that that's saying much). So the ones that really value winning, which I assume would be most, know that winning the conference championship could be the most meaningful thing they have a chance to win. There are 120 teams, and only 2 get to play for a championship at the end of the year. Meaning the chances are pretty bad that you will even have a chance. Do you think on the recruiting trail this year Stoops was bragging about winning a completely meaningless exhibition game after the season? Or do you think he was reminding these kids that for the 7th time in his 12 years, we were better than the other 11 teams in our conference that we recruit against, have rivalries with, and play every year? And I'll let you figure out why Notre Dame has nothing to do with this....

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 04:39 PM

I'll give you a hint who he's talking about lizzy. There's actually a .000000000000000001% chance that Stoops brought up giving this kid the ball while recruiting him.

StoopTroup
4/7/2011, 04:49 PM
Hard to say.

I think OU winning a bowl game is important to me as a Sooner fan. But I'm not a high school recruit, so I can't pretend to know what drives him.

For the last 11 years.....it hasn't been the full hog backfield.

It hasn't been any of the ideas you've mentioned in this thread really.

Right off the bat....I'm going to say it's usually getting them to visit and how that Visit goes and the fact that since Bob came to OU....he's put a ton of guys in the NFL. Now if you look back at Switzer and his 3 National Championships....it wasn't the Full Hog Back field or the time when Marcus Dupree (THE GREATEST FREAKING RUNNING BACK OF ALL TIME) was at OU that put National Championship Trophy's in the OU Trophy Room.

It was a Team Effort of the players on those teams who were able to win those Bowl Games. In 2000....Bob did it with a bunch of guys who fought to win every time they played a game. We didn't have a Team that was chocked full of Full Hog Players or 22 guys who were all Blue Chip All-Americans.....we did it with Juco Transfers and guys that fought through injuries and never quit. We did it with Defense when the Offense stalled and Offense when the Defense couldn't hold.

The bull**** you are talking about Stoops trying is a Switzer Trick and Bob and Barry are close enough that I'm sure they have talked about the glory days. You continue to believe I guess that this little message board thread of yours is going to become something that might save OU football I guess.

For most of us....it's funny to watch you continue to squirrel yourself in and out of corners like a weasel.

It's possible that Bob or his Staff might try Barry's old trick but not as a recruiting tool. The only way you use it as a recruiting tool is to make it a part of your strategy with a current player so that when you do have that one tough recruit that you think one more little promise....might get him to sign...you use it. Or maybe not....

Me? I'd rather take a kid that want's to play football for The Sooners because he feels like he's a good fit than having to offer him some snaps as a Running Back in order to get him here. If you start offering one guy PT like that...then you end up with a whole team of guys that want to know when they are gonna get a chance to QB in the 4th Quarter.

A good scenario where we all saw this crap happen is when Chrissy Simms came to tejas because :mack: promised him he'd start as a freshman. Simms was named starter over Major Applewhite in 2001, before Applewhite's senior season. After turning the ball over four times in the 2001 Big Twelve Championship Game, Simms gave way to fan favorite Applewhite, who nearly led Texas to a victory against Colorado (Texas lost 37-39). Applewhite later passed for a then school record 473 yards as the starter in the Holiday bowl.

As we all know....Chrissy never won a game against The Sooners his entire career at tejas.

Maybe Tennessee should have promised Chrissy a starting job and a Nashville Singing Career. :rolleyes:

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 05:09 PM
The only way you use it as a recruiting tool is to make it a part of your strategy with a current player...

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/ec0a5bd3b7.jpg

No, I'm not siding with lizzy. I'm just sayin...

StoopTroup
4/7/2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/ec0a5bd3b7.jpg

No, I'm not siding with lizzy. I'm just sayin...

IDGAS what you do....I'm telling Leroid this BS is stupid.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 05:16 PM
As we all are, but I guess you missed the point of that pic

StoopTroup
4/7/2011, 05:22 PM
As we all are, but I guess you missed the point of that pic

Probably....

I've been busy today trying to make plans for my Government Fire Sale Party.

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 05:25 PM
Don't tempt me with a good time...

jersey sooner
4/7/2011, 05:34 PM
I would also like to add how funny it is that lizzy wants to use this to land offensive line recruits, so the first example he uses in the thread is a defensive tackle haha

picasso
4/7/2011, 08:39 PM
Maybe. It does show that OU wins a lot of football games, but I'm just wondering how many recruits list the conference championship itself as a high priority when choosing schools. I doubt it is high on their list.

And I doubt you know jack **** about it.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 09:25 PM
For the last 11 years.....it hasn't been the full hog backfield.

Yeah, if it had I wouldn't be posing it as a suggestion, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 09:38 PM
My point is that these recruits know football much more than you (not that that's saying much). So the ones that really value winning, which I assume would be most, know that winning the conference championship could be the most meaningful thing they have a chance to win. There are 120 teams, and only 2 get to play for a championship at the end of the year.

WTF? Ohio State can't play for a conference championship? Florida?

Meaning the chances are pretty bad that you will even have a chance. Do you think on the recruiting trail this year Stoops was bragging about winning a completely meaningless exhibition game after the season?

You can bet he mentioned his BCS bowl win. I wouldn't be suprised if he didn't talk about it more than he did the conference championship.

Your deriding of the win as meaningless is just your interpretation of the game as spoken by someone who is miffed at the lack of a playoff. Recruits don't necessarily look at it the same way. And the coaching staff probably doesn't consider the game meaningless either.

How much sway does a Big XII championship have with a recruit who is considering teams like LSU and Ole Miss?

Or do you think he was reminding these kids that for the 7th time in his 12 years, we were better than the other 11 teams in our conference that we recruit against, have rivalries with, and play every year?

Maybe. I'm not sure how much he leaned on that. Again, I don't know how much a conference championship trophy really stirs a typical recruit's heart. Sure, it gets US going, but that is because we are Sooner fans and we grew up watching our favorite team compete for them. Many of these players are not big fans of any particular school.

And I'll let you figure out why Notre Dame has nothing to do with this....

This is just a fancy way of saying you have no answer. It fools no one.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2011, 09:41 PM
And I doubt you know jack **** about it.

I still probably know as much as you about it. For the most part, none of us know jack **** about it, which is why I said I wasn't sure of the answer.

gaylordfan1
4/7/2011, 10:22 PM
:confused:

picasso
4/7/2011, 10:30 PM
I still probably know as much as you about it. For the most part, none of us know jack **** about it, which is why I said I wasn't sure of the answer.

I know a few kids who have played and I know a current coach in the Big 12 conference but yeah, we're not as smart as you are.

:pop:

StoopTroup
4/7/2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, if it had I wouldn't be posing it as a suggestion, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

And every person on SoonerFans has explained numerous reasons why no one has tried Barry's Original Idea.

The amount of reasons why it's not even a credible theft of his idea has been discussed over and over and it's pretty obvious your only reason to be here is to upset people and play the retard in the Forum on nearly every thread you've been in since you first logged into SFs. Trolls like Penguin and Shamu who rarely post have better material in their fecal matter than you do in your best post.

Of course....here I go being obvious again....

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 12:00 AM
And every person on SoonerFans has explained numerous reasons

Oh, just stfu and go to bed.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 12:08 AM
I know a few kids who have played

LOL! I taught 'em.

and I know a current coach in the Big 12 conference

Oh Hell, how would I ever expect to compete against that wealth of knowledge?

StoopTroup
4/8/2011, 12:16 AM
LOL! I taught 'em.

I'm amazed you found a Sooner Message Board about football.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 12:22 AM
I'm amazed you found a Sooner Message Board about football.

That's worth two :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SoonerLB
4/8/2011, 01:07 AM
Leroid, you oughta run for Congress, just think of all those opportunities to fillibuster your azz off! ;) And accomplishing nothing is the status quo there, so hell, they'd prolly make you a committee chairman of some sort! :D

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 01:19 AM
Leroid, you oughta run for Congress, just think of all those opportunities to fillibuster your azz off! ;)

Why would I do that? I would be surrounded by a bunch of idiots. Hell, I can do that here.

dynersooner
4/8/2011, 08:37 AM
I guess he didn't have one.

hahahahahaahahaha

Know how to keep a retard in suspense???

THANKS FOR MY SIGLINE! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES IT!!!

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 09:28 AM
hahahahahaahahaha

Know how to keep a retard in suspense???

THANKS FOR MY SIGLINE! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES IT!!!

Interesting way to say "I really didn't have anything."

dynersooner
4/8/2011, 12:30 PM
Interesting way to say "I really didn't have anything."

"interesting"??? heell, it was frucking GENIUS!

youve never been more message board owned in your life! i mean, it just got real for you. you were burned, and left for died. DIED!!!

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 12:35 PM

youve never been more message board owned in your life! i mean, it just got real for you. you were burned, and left for died. DIED!!!

We need an age limit for posting here.

boomermagic
4/8/2011, 12:54 PM

I don't remember Barry ever seriously saying he would do that.. Barry likes to joke around ya know..

Curly Bill
4/8/2011, 12:55 PM

Wow! You were deliberately trying to be so over the top right? Because if not, well...that's embarrassing.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 01:04 PM
I don't remember Barry ever seriously saying he would do that.. Barry likes to joke around ya know..

It was reported in Sooners Illustrated that they had planned to use it in the later stages of a game, but the game ended up tighter than they anticipated. This would have been around 1988.

Of course, the idea should stand on its own. I see little harm in doing it, and maybe an OL prospect out there would really think it's cool. And I think it projects the idea that playing for OU is also about having fun.

That's all for this thread.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2011, 01:06 PM
Wow! You were deliberately trying to be so over the top right? Because if not, well...that's embarrassing.

Making claims that you have evidence to shoot down an argument, then not being able to provide it when called on, is pathetic.

Curly Bill
4/8/2011, 01:13 PM
Making claims that you have evidence to shoot down an argument, then not being able to provide it when called on, is pathetic.

I've noticed the pathetic factor seems to be quite high in many of the new posters. Wherever it was they hung out before coming here was I'd say correct in running them off.

picasso
4/8/2011, 02:50 PM
LOL! I taught 'em.

Compete? You seem to be one of the few goobers on here who makes this a competition. Of course you're just some sad person's troll which is fine.

And yeah, I happen to know a coach in the Big 12 who has also coached at NEO and Tulsa. He seems to think OU has a certain advantage with all of the banners hanging in their practice facility. It's crazy talk I know.

Doosh.:pop: