PDA

View Full Version : New Playoff Idea

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 11:25 AM
No, not what you think.

Suppose that somehow a playoff is instituted, that is, it's a done deal.

The NCAA has a lot of trouble trying to keep schools from cheating. So why not borrow a page from auto racing playbook: The teams making up the Final Four get automatic investigations by the NCAA.

Those found guilty of violations could have their victory anulled and could be prevented from taking part in subsequent playoffs.

As for the other teams, cheat all you want (as is done in auto racing). If, however, you are ever able to amass enough talent to actually do anything with it, you will be investigated and probably will end up having to forfeit the victories. This would allow the NCAA to throw the full weight of its organization into investigating only four schools each year.

Crucial to success of this plan is that the NCAA must be completely draconian in its handling of cheating schools. No mercy. If it means banning a team from even playing football for three years, so be it. If an AD even dreams about cheating in his sleep, the school gets burned.

Just a thought. There are probably glaring problems with it, but I thought I would throw it out there since it's the offseason.

humblesooner
4/4/2011, 11:32 AM
No, not what you think.

The NCAA has a lot of trouble trying to keep schools from cheating. So why not borrow a page from auto racing playbook: The teams making up the Final Four get automatic investigations by the NCAA.

Those found guilty of violations could have their victory anulled and could be prevented from taking part in subsequent playoffs.

As for the other teams, cheat all you want (as is done in auto racing). If, however, you are ever able to amass enough talent to actually do anything with it, you will be investigated and probably will end up having to forfeit the victories. This would allow the NCAA to throw the full weight of its organization into investigating only four schools each year.

Crucial to success of this plan is that the NCAA must be completely draconian in its handling of cheating schools. No mercy. If it means banning a team from even playing football for three years, so be it. If an AD even dreams about cheating in his sleep, the school gets burned.

Just a thought. There are probably glaring problems with it, but I thought I would throw it out there since it's the offseason.

The only glaring problem I see is that probably in 10 years, the final four will be UConn, Butler, VCU and Gonzaga.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 11:35 AM
If it was a done deal.....it won't include any whack job idea of your's afterwards....it was a Done Deal Dumb erse.

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 11:44 AM
I'm cool with having automatic investigations for the teams involved. They could do that now with BCS teams or something. But I wouldn't advertise it's ok for everyone else to cheat. Anyway Nascar blows monkey balls....why follow their white trash retard model?

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 11:48 AM
The only glaring problem I see is that probably in 10 years, the final four will be UConn, Butler, VCU and Gonzaga.

Then maybe it should be UConn (?), Butler, VCU, and Gonzaga.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 11:49 AM
I'm cool with having automatic investigations for the teams involved. They could do that now with BCS teams or something. But I wouldn't advertise it's ok for everyone else to cheat. Anyway Nascar blows monkey balls....why follow their white trash retard model?

This isn't NASCAR; they investigate all teams. On the short tracks the top 3 place teams get investigated. They don't even bother to weigh the cars unless they place. If a team cheats but doesn't place, who cares?

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 11:51 AM
If it was a done deal.....it won't include any whack job idea of your's afterwards....it was a Done Deal Dumb erse.

What an idiot. :rolleyes:

OUMallen
4/4/2011, 11:56 AM
I like the idea of numerous minor, intentional violations keeping people from any NCAA or NIT tourney bid.

You'd have basketball coaches checking their policies REALLY fast if they couldn't make the Dance, no matter how good they are. They don't use the post-season restriction enough in basketball OR football.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 12:07 PM
"Auburn is down by only 2 with only 10 seconds to go and all their field goal kicker has to do is knock down this 35-yard field goal for the win. The Auburn fans are gearing up for their trip to the semifinals and many of the fans are prepared to rush the field."

"Wait, Auburn has called a timeout. Their head coach is talking things over with the kicker... and now the AD has joined in the conversation."

"Bob, I see that the compliance director is down on the field, and the argument looks heated. Let's get a word from our sponsors while we wait."

"We're back live. The ball is snapped. He shanked it! He shanked it! The Aggies win!"

"Bob, the Oklahoma State head coach is protesting on the field. He is claiming that his own team was offsides."

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 12:09 PM
What an idiot. :rolleyes:

Why are you being like that to me....

That hurt.....it really hurt.

Darn internet bully.:pop:

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 12:19 PM
Why are you being like that to me....

That hurt.....it really hurt.

Darn internet bully.:pop:

I will say this: No one (and I mean no one) tries harder to get under my skin than you.

I emphasize "tries."

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 12:20 PM
"Auburn is down by only 2 with only 10 seconds to go and all their field goal kicker has to do is knock down this 35-yard field goal for the win. The Auburn fans are gearing up for their trip to the semifinals and many of the fans are prepared to rush the field."

"Wait, Auburn has called a timeout. Their head coach is talking things over with the kicker... and now the AD has joined in the conversation."

"Bob, I see that the compliance director is down on the field, and the argument looks heated. Let's get a word from our sponsors while we wait."

"We're back live. The ball is snapped. He shanked it! He shanked it! The Aggies win!"

"Bob, the Oklahoma State head coach is protesting on the field. He is claiming that his own team was offsides."

I feel dirty...+1

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 12:27 PM
I will say this: No one (and I mean no one) tries harder to get under my skin than you.

I emphasize "tries."

Why haven't you tried to be nicer? :pop:

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 12:32 PM
Why haven't you tried to be nicer? :pop:

I have. Just not to you. :D

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 12:36 PM
I have. Just not to you. :D

You are acting like a bitch to me....

http://www.annyas.com/screenshots/images/1971/lizard-in-a-womans-skin-trailer-title-still-02.jpg

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 12:51 PM
Also.....deep down in that itty bitty lizard skull that thing that tiny little thing at acts as a brain and tells you to post something about a Playoff System like you did....

You know it's not a well thought out idea that could actually be implemented in order to improve the Sport and lead to an exciting enjoyable experience by fans.

Instead of just posting it in the playoff thread there already is.....you start your own for some reason.

Then you wonder why some of won't get off your *** on this board.

That's why your still here though as every board needs a few posters to laugh at.....Just remember....no matter how hard or close I get to getting under your skin....it's not obsession.....it's me laughing at how stupid you are. Don't take it personal either. I know you can't help it anymore. It's OK. We all get it. Nobody is going to hurt you....we just think maybe you should wear a seizure helmet so you don't hurt yourself anymore....

http://injuredlizard.co.uk/f1/images/lizard_helmet.png

Put it in here....

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152690

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 01:02 PM
Also.....deep down in that itty bitty lizard skull that thing that tiny little thing at acts as a brain and tells you

You bore me.

jumperstop
4/4/2011, 01:08 PM
This isn't NASCAR; they investigate all teams. On the short tracks the top 3 place teams get investigated. They don't even bother to weigh the cars unless they place. If a team cheats but doesn't place, who cares?

The only difference is in Nascar you're not hurting the other teams by cheating and losing. In football if a school is stealing recruits from another team by paying them, but they still lose, the other team/teams who are legit could have had an opportunity with those star players.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 01:10 PM
The only difference is in Nascar you're not hurting the other teams by cheating and losing. In football if a school is stealing recruits from another team by paying them, but they still lose, the other team/teams who are legit could have had an opportunity with those star players.

Good point.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 01:10 PM
You bore me.

I know....we all feel sorry for you. I'm worried about you. You are so far from real people. Next sabbatical....you should pack up your stuff and move back to Oklahoma. Once you are back....a couple years of being around folks who really love OU Football....you'll see how we are all able to brush whorns and aggies off our *** like fleas that try to jump on Boomer and Sooners ***.

Things that you worry about like loss of competitive spirit, academic fraud, and cheating....will seem as silly as it does to the rest of us around here.

We will all be here to help when you are ready....

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 01:13 PM
I know....we all feel sorry for you. I'm worried about you.

I'm getting really sleepy.

You are so far from real people. Next sabbatical....you should pack up your stuff and move back to Oklahoma. Once you are back....a couple years of being around folks

It's tough keeping my eyes open.

who really love OU Football....you'll see how we are all able to brush whorns and aggies off our *** like fleas

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

olevetonahill
4/4/2011, 01:14 PM
I know....we all feel sorry for you. I'm worried about you. You are so far from real people. Next sabbatical....you should pack up your stuff and move back to Oklahoma. Once you are back....a couple years of being around folks who really love OU Football....you'll see how we are all able to brush whorns and aggies off our *** like fleas that try to jump on Boomer and Sooners ***.

Things that you worry about like loss of competitive spirit, academic fraud, and cheating....will seem as silly as it does to the rest of us around here.

We will all be here to help when you are ready....

Not me, I dont like the dumb mother ****er :D

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 01:29 PM
Not me, I dont like the dumb mother ****er :D

lol

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 01:36 PM
Vet....I'm trying the "Bob Ross - Joy of painting" approach....Shhhhhhhh......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/70/Bob_at_Easel.jpg/200px-Bob_at_Easel.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
4/4/2011, 01:42 PM
What a happy little thread. You can do whatever you want, because it's your world.

And how about if we put a happy little deer right down here.

Jacie
4/4/2011, 02:14 PM
Cheating is not usually a conspiracy.

There are cases of cheating at the institutional level, everyone from the regents and all the way down to the equipment managers were in on it. However, SMU happened once. Maybe it used to happen pretty much everywhere pretty much all the time but since the single instance when the death penalty was meted out as punishment, this type of situation probably does not happen much anymore . . . except at Auburn . . . and Ohio State . . . and maybe USC, but other than those, hardly at all.

Types of cheating:

Academic, where players are given credit for classwork they did not do.

Pay-for-play, players receive a monetary reward or other inducement to a player or his family, above and beyond the basic full-ride scholarship. This can come at any time from when a kid is still deciding where to go up through the entire four, five or six years they spend on campus.

Recruiting, when coaches do more than they are allowed in terms of visits, phone calls and other ways of contacting potential recruits (influencing them with money/sex/goodies falls under pay-for-play).

Academic almost always involves someone on the coaching staff running interference for a player or players having trouble staying eligible. It can be difficult to discover and harder to prove since athletes receive legitimate forms of help all the time, and usually doesn't come to light unless someone blows the whistle (Tennessee comes to mind).

Pay-for-play is not something that a president, the AD, head coach, assistants, professors, boosters and players all sit down to discuss and figure out the best way to do it. It usually involves people not on a university payroll, like boosters, and then is focused on one or a couple of key players. It may be blatant, something obvious such as a player in a new car or subtle like the Big Red/Rhett Bomar scandal. I call that one subtle to indicate that the amount of money involved was not comparatively large as these things go and it was something that did not happen till after the players were already on the team so it was not so much an inducement as a reward (tOSU, USC and yes, OU recently and Auburn if it's ever proven Cam's dad was paid).

Recruiting is usually from overzealousness on the part of the coaching staff, making too many calls or inadvertant contact, although the use of scouting services, not strictly a violation should be included here. As this is a football discussion I won't mention you-know-who but the principle is the same.

To combat cheating, the punishment should fit the crime and target those behind it, the coach(es), booster(s) and player(s), not the institution because most of the time, the institution does not, as an entity, cheat. Doing so assigns responsibility for actions that are almost impossible for an institution to predict, police and prevent. Also, institutions should be given credit for the times when they do discover, report and punish those involved, rather than being made to feel like dupes when schools that don't seemingly get sanctioned less.

Everything that is "wrong" with college football, besides the coaches making more than the profs, is something that needs to be dealt with on an individual not institutional level.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 02:16 PM
What a happy little thread. You can do whatever you want, because it's your world.

And how about if we put a happy little deer right down here.

:pop:

http://www.aboutpainting.tk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/29953_bob_ross_painting_1466023174_9b364054a3.jpg

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 04:25 PM
To combat cheating, the punishment should fit the crime and target those behind it, the coach(es), booster(s) and player(s), not the institution because most of the time, the institution does not, as an entity, cheat.
Doing so assigns responsibility for actions that are almost impossible for an institution to predict, police and prevent.

The coaches are agents of the university, so if they cheat the university is cheating. Sucks, but that's how it works. If a salesman sells you a lemon, it's the car agency that is responsble.

Also, institutions should be given credit for the times when they do discover, report and punish those involved, rather than being made to feel like dupes when schools that don't seemingly get sanctioned less.

Agreed 100%

Everything that is "wrong" with college football, besides the coaches making more than the profs, is something that needs to be dealt with on an individual not institutional level.

I think the IRS should at some point step in as well. I don't see how any institution can pay a non-CEO a $5 million per year salary and consider themselves a non-profit.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 05:02 PM
The coaches are agents of the university, so if they cheat the university is cheating. Sucks, but that's how it works. If a salesman sells you a lemon, it's the car agency that is responsble.

Leroid....

He gave you his viewpoint.....

How about this....Every time the Institution gets fined because of anything....the amount is divided up equally between the Professors and they can pay for it out of their salaries after the Coach or Student or Booster is fired/expelled or banned from Campus?

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 05:12 PM
Leroid....

He gave you his viewpoint.....

It's like having your very own RSS feed.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 05:15 PM
It's like having your very own RSS feed.

Except I asked you a question and you didn't answer it...

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 05:20 PM
Folks.....

Now you know how I have 50,000 posts.

RSS Feeds like leroid......lol

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 05:24 PM
Except I asked you a question and you didn't answer it...

Oh, is that what you call it?

Okay, I'll give it a shot:

Every time the Institution gets fined because of anything....the amount is divided up equally between the Professors and they can pay for it out of their salaries after the Coach or Student or Booster is fired/expelled or banned from Campus?

The answer is no, because I already said that the institution is responsible for the punishment, not the individual members of the institution.

Let's see... where did I place that response? Oh, here it is:

If a salesman sells you a lemon, it's the car agency that is responsble.

In other words, you don't make the sales staff pay the fine, you make the agency.

Your question is worth two :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 05:25 PM
Folks.....

Now you know how I have 50,000 posts.

Yeah, I'm sure they really gave a ****.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 05:44 PM
You bore me.

You say he bores you, yet you continue to reply to him.

Wow....Obsessed much? :D

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 05:48 PM
You say he bores you, yet you continue to reply to him.

You and StoopTroup need to get a room.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 05:50 PM
You and StoopTroup need to get a room.

We'll do that later...but seriously, you obsession with ST is really getting to the danger level.

You need counseling I think!

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 05:56 PM
We'll do that later...

:eek:

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 05:56 PM
:eek:

I know your jealous!:texan:

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 07:13 PM
See Leroid....What if the Student Athlete got caught Cheating but they found out you didn't catch it. Shouldn't you as a Teacher be responsible? If they let you keep your job...shouldn't you be responsible if later we found out he couldn't read or pass a driving test?

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2011, 10:21 PM
See Leroid....What if the Student Athlete got caught Cheating but they found out you didn't catch it. Shouldn't you as a Teacher be responsible? If they let you keep your job...shouldn't you be responsible if later we found out he couldn't read or pass a driving test?

No, and no, because....

The answer is no, because I already said that the institution is responsible for the punishment, not the individual members of the institution.

Okay, now that THAT is settled...

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 10:24 PM
No, and no, because....

Okay, now that THAT is settled...

Then why would Coaches get blamed?

Seamus
4/4/2011, 11:09 PM
http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/20986-argue_you.jpg

Just sayin' ...

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 11:11 PM
Leroid in a dress....lol

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2011, 12:48 AM
Then why would Coaches get blamed?

When did I say they should get punished?

texaspokieokie
4/5/2011, 07:49 AM
No, not what you think.

having read only "post #1", i have to say, of all the "play-off" systems you have shot down, this is the worst !! where do you get your crap about auto racing ??