PDA

View Full Version : Signing day is April 13th...What would you do?

OU_Sooners75
4/2/2011, 07:59 PM
I do believe.

We do not have many open spots on our roster.

With that said, what does Kruger do?

I personally think he needs to do some spring cleaning with our roster.

Keep: Fitz, Pledger, Blair, Orsby, and Clark Maybe one or two others.

Then he needs to see if he can persuade some of his recruits from UNLV to OU.

Then he needs to attack the JUCO ranks and grab a few there.

It sucks having to cut anyone off from a scholarship, but we are loaded with a bunch of guys that can go elsewhere to play and that are not really D-1 caliber to begin with.

So, what do you think our new head coach should do?

Quik Sand
4/2/2011, 08:06 PM
I like your ideas. A couple of really good players can change the program back. The good players and their success can be an extra recruitment tool on its own (see BG).

OU_Sooners75
4/2/2011, 09:37 PM
I guess everyone agrees!

sooner518
4/2/2011, 10:46 PM
I say we poach Kentucky and duke's classes.

Easy as pie.

StoopTroup
4/2/2011, 11:02 PM
I'd hire marty to recruit.....pay him with gift certificate to an Austin Gay Bar and then blame him for everything that happens next year.

Then I'd get a jump on recruiting for 2012 and make sure all Basketball Season Tickets seats weren't tied to Football Donors so they could get better Seats for the RRSO. Then I'd make sure anyone who hadn't showed for games before tip off got their seats sold at general admission prices so that every seat was filled for every game. No Refunds either. if the Season Ticket holder did show after tip off they could have standing room only unless it was sold out.

stoopified
4/3/2011, 07:36 PM
If you check the roster we have 10 players and I incoming player(Goff) that yotals 11,which leaves 2 for this signing class. As for Hardrick and Thonpson,while they are dead weight Lon will have to make the call to NOT renew their schollies.I have no idea what he will dohaving not followed KSU<UNLV,Illinois,or UF during his coaching career.I would guess that Lon would NOT try to bring any UNLV commits with him.It seems to be an unwriiten rule that coaches don't do this.Tubbs did not bring any Lamar recruits to OU(although judging from his 9-18 first year ) he could have used them.Likewise Sampson did not bring any WSU commits,and Capel no VCU commits.On the other hand he COULD possibly land recruits that he was after while at UNLV since they would be uncommited.

Eielson
4/3/2011, 07:52 PM
If you check the roster we have 10 players and I incoming player(Goff) that yotals 11,which leaves 2 for this signing class. As for Hardrick and Thonpson,while they are dead weight Lon will have to make the call to NOT renew their schollies.I have no idea what he will dohaving not followed KSU<UNLV,Illinois,or UF during his coaching career.I would guess that Lon would NOT try to bring any UNLV commits with him.It seems to be an unwriiten rule that coaches don't do this.Tubbs did not bring any Lamar recruits to OU(although judging from his 9-18 first year ) he could have used them.Likewise Sampson did not bring any WSU commits,and Capel no VCU commits.On the other hand he COULD possibly land recruits that he was after while at UNLV since they would be uncommited.

Nate Erdmann.

stoopified
4/3/2011, 09:35 PM
Nate Erdmann.Nate Erdmann left WSU for Juco and then transferred to OU,did not go from WSU to OU.

Collier11
4/3/2011, 10:00 PM
UNLV would have to agree to release them from their LOI if they have signed

stoopified
4/3/2011, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=Collier11;3190371]UNLV would have to agree to release them from their LOI if they have signed[/QUOTE.I doubt Kruger tries to get any committed players much less signed players.

yankee
4/3/2011, 11:26 PM
Really? You want to keep 7 guys at the most and bank on signing another 5 this late in the signing period? Uh, great idea.

oumartin
4/3/2011, 11:33 PM
I can find five small town white guys from southwest kansas that could take OU to the touney next year.

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2011, 11:44 PM
Really? You want to keep 7 guys at the most and bank on signing another 5 this late in the signing period? Uh, great idea.

Name a better option?

We are losing Cade.
We have one other open.

Then we will have 5 seniors on the team where maybe 2 of them (Orsby and maybe Washington) will ever see the floor for a significant amount of time.

Then we will have 4 Juniors, 3 of which I said before that we should keep. Hardrick...not so much!

Then we have 3 Sophomores. Only of which I would keep Clark. Newell and Neal, they may stay, but after this past seasons performance, they would not be in my rotation unless they show vast improvement and discipline on the court.

Like I said, I would do some spring cleaning. If you can fill your roster, then no biggie, at least you will have those scholarships the following year!

Keep: Clark, Pledger, Fitz, Orsby, Blair. I would think about keeping Neal, Washington, and Honore.

The rest I would say sorry, but good luck! That would give us 4 or 5spots, yet also enough to have an 8 man rotation in case I couldnt get all 4 or 5.

Collier11
4/3/2011, 11:54 PM
Name a better option?

We are losing Cade.
We have one other open.

Then we will have 5 seniors on the team where maybe 2 of them (Orsby and maybe Washington) will ever see the floor for a significant amount of time

Osby will be starting, Washington will get PT

Then we will have 4 Juniors, 3 of which I said before that we should keep. Hardrick...not so much!

Then we have 3 Sophomores. Only of which I would keep Clark. Newell and Neal, they may stay, but after this past seasons performance, they would not be in my rotation unless they show vast improvement and discipline on the court.

Newell and Neal were freshmen and played pretty decent, Neal played very well at times and Clark has a TON of potential to be really good...not sure why you would want to give up on them

Like I said, I would do some spring cleaning. If you can fill your roster, then no biggie, at least you will have those scholarships the following year!

Keep: Clark, Pledger, Fitz, Orsby, Blair. I would think about keeping Neal, Washington, and Honore.

The rest I would say sorry, but good luck! That would give us 4 or 5spots, yet also enough to have an 8 man rotation in case I couldnt get all 4 or 5.

Sorry 75, this is a horrible horrible idea. You dont gut 4 to 5 spots out of your roster, you have to have depth, especially playing in the Big 12. Also, Kruger has proven he can develop players. You dont get rid of guys who have been in the system for a bunch of unknowns. The chances of finding 4 or 5 guys...or even 2 or 3 at this point who would be worth a damn are slim and none.

Hopefully Kruger can find another impact guy, if he can do that and he can improve our current players then we will be on the track back to success

Soonerfan88
4/4/2011, 12:13 AM
Not to mention the APR/scholarship considerations, especially for the seniors. Let them graduate to help our numbers. For any number of reasons, OU has had a lot of kids leave the team and probably on notice for possible reduction of scholarships if the APR doesn't improve.

yankee
4/4/2011, 12:15 AM
Name a better option?

We are losing Cade.
We have one other open.

Then we will have 5 seniors on the team where maybe 2 of them (Orsby and maybe Washington) will ever see the floor for a significant amount of time.

Until you stop posting like Jenny Carlson writes, I don't think I can respond to your post.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/4/2011, 12:19 AM
Plus it would be a pretty dick move to take a scholarship from a kid because they aren't good enough. If that kid has good grades and has done everything the coaching staff has asked of them and they just aren't good, that would be the programs problem and not theirs in my book

yankee
4/4/2011, 12:21 AM
Plus it would be a pretty dick move to take a scholarship from a kid because they aren't good enough. If that kid has good grades and has done everything the coaching staff has asked of them and they just aren't good, that would be the programs problem and not theirs in my book

Exactly. Kicking someone off the team like TJ Franklin, a player who's been in the program for 3 years, just because he doesn't contribute on a nightly basis, is stupid.

zandozan
4/4/2011, 02:35 AM
Until you stop posting like Jenny Carlson writes, I don't think I can respond to your post.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

stoopified
4/4/2011, 09:36 AM
Exactly. Kicking someone off the team like TJ Franklin, a player who's been in the program for 3 years, just because he doesn't contribute on a nightly basis, is stupid. Why would Kruger want to get rid of Franklin or Honroe?They are walkons.

birddog
4/4/2011, 11:14 AM
The Loninator is in town! i'm one of those saps that thinks every coach that rolls through here will have instant success. thought that with capel and i hope lon can use his experience and respect to get things back on solid ground.

good luck, capel, now git on back to duke.

badger
4/4/2011, 11:20 AM
I am not sure Lon yanks schollys immediately. I think it would be beneficial to see how committed the guys are to his system before axing them from their D-1 hoop dreams... because this is likely their only chance as D-1 in a big conference, perhaps D-1 period. And even if talent is lacking, it's not really a bad thing to have hard working guys that are willing to do what top recruits and top talents might not to keep things in check

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 12:10 PM

Whatever dude.

We have a few players that would not be on any other D1 program. So why keep the dead weight?

Like I said the OP, it would suck to have to do something like take schollys away from kids. But if you want to make room to get some good players in here that can help the team, that would be the logical move.

I am not saying he should...but if I were the coach, I would make that sacrifice and do something like that. However, I wouldn't do something like that until I evaluated each and every player first.

With the limited amount of scholarships we have to give this year, it only makes sense IMO.

But to each their own.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 12:13 PM
Sorry 75, this is a horrible horrible idea. You dont gut 4 to 5 spots out of your roster, you have to have depth, especially playing in the Big 12. Also, Kruger has proven he can develop players. You dont get rid of guys who have been in the system for a bunch of unknowns. The chances of finding 4 or 5 guys...or even 2 or 3 at this point who would be worth a damn are slim and none.

Hopefully Kruger can find another impact guy, if he can do that and he can improve our current players then we will be on the track back to success

It may be a bad idea...hell even an satanic way of thinking...but oh well.

If he can develop the players I am all for it. But not one person that has responded in this thread cannot realistically tell me that every player we have on our roster is D1 caliber.

badger
4/4/2011, 12:21 PM
not one person that has responded in this thread cannot realistically tell me that every player we have on our roster is D1 caliber.

If Lon says they are, they are. I have 2.2 million reasons to trust his judgment on who to retain as scholly athletes. That is my realistic and 100 percent sound reasoning as to whether they are of D1 caliber or not.

And yes, I am 100 percent serious. If Lon wants them, I want them.

sooner_born_1960
4/4/2011, 12:23 PM
Absent disciple issues, I think we should honor scholarships.

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 12:24 PM
If Lon says they are, they are. I have 2.2 million reasons to trust his judgment on who to retain as scholly athletes. That is my realistic and 100 percent sound reasoning as to whether they are of D1 caliber or not.

And yes, I am 100 percent serious. If Lon wants them, I want them.

Has he came out and said they are?

And would you actually think a coach will come out and publicly say that anyone isn't when coming to a new school?

badger
4/4/2011, 12:29 PM
Has he came out and said they are?

And would you actually think a coach will come out and publicly say that anyone isn't when coming to a new school?

Weeeelllll... I hear he's gonna meet the media at 2:30 p.m. today. I am sure the scholly thing is gonna get asked. Can you wait about two hours? :P

I don't think he's so heartless and cruel to say "X is getting his scholarship axed" publicly. I just think if that determination is made, it'll happen quietly when suddenly the roster doesn't have a name or two listed on SS.com.

If he decides to retain everyone though, then yeah, they are all absolutely D1 caliber

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/4/2011, 01:06 PM
D1 caliber makes me chuckle. There is like 9000 teams in D1 Basketball, and about half of them couldn't beat the best team if all pieces from the 4500 were combined into one super team. D1 talent indeed!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/4/2011, 01:07 PM
P.S. OU_Sooners75 is Jenni Carlson..

sperry
4/4/2011, 01:16 PM
Name a better option?

We are losing Cade.
We have one other open.

This is so beyond stupid. You would only "consider" keeping a 6'7" athletic freshman wing who played well during the conference season? You're going to get better guys than that out of JUCO like 10 days before signing day? Right. . .

sperry
4/4/2011, 01:17 PM

Don't insult Carlson like that.

badger
4/4/2011, 01:20 PM
Caliber jokes aside, I am not sure a topic on who's scholarship to ax is a very good one for nice supportive Sooner fans like ourselves. :(

Soonerjeepman
4/4/2011, 02:26 PM
hmm...ok so do exactly what Capel did? he FILLED the roster with non-D1 guys....IF he cuts anyone loose...then ONLY TAKE SOMEONE better...or leave it...for next yr.

I'd say for the kid's sake...if ya know he probably isn't going to contribute and you are recruiting over him then let him know now so if he wants to transfer he can...while he has a few yrs left.

as for the graduation rate thing...doesn't seem to hurt Calipari or uk?

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 02:47 PM

I hate you! I told you not to expose me like that! ;)

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 02:52 PM
Weeeelllll... I hear he's gonna meet the media at 2:30 p.m. today. I am sure the scholly thing is gonna get asked. Can you wait about two hours? :P

I don't think he's so heartless and cruel to say "X is getting his scholarship axed" publicly. I just think if that determination is made, it'll happen quietly when suddenly the roster doesn't have a name or two listed on SS.com.

If he decides to retain everyone though, then yeah, they are all absolutely D1 caliber

If he decides to keep everyone, than he is a very admirable man. I just dont see what it would hurt to get rid of some dead weight.

You all are acting like I am saying get rid of our entire roster...and that is not even close to what I am saying. I think keep the best 7-8 maybe even 9 guys.

If I couldnt get players to replace anyone, I probably wouldnt hack more than 2 or 3 guys at most.

But that is me....Of course, I want a contender, but I guess since we have suffered the worst two year span in OU basketball in my lifetime (35+ years) it is okay to have mediocrity now. :rolleyes:

Soonerfan88
4/4/2011, 03:54 PM
75, I don't want any OU sport to ever start acting like a professional team. The university offered them a scholarship and unless any of them don't pass or screw up off the court/field, I feel those scholarships should be honored for the entire four years. Why create bad will when you don't have to? Let them get their degree and find success outside of sports. Who knows, in a few years they may be worth millions and had such a good experience on the team they offer to rebuild LNC.

They may even surprise you and become quality contributors.

yankee
4/4/2011, 04:16 PM
as for the graduation rate thing...doesn't seem to hurt Calipari or uk?

Because Calipari has such a fantastic repuation. :rolleyes:

I don't want Calipari and Kruger mentioned in the same sentence. Ever. Unless it's about us beating the living hell out of that scumbag and his team.

TopDawg
4/4/2011, 05:07 PM
I don't want Calipari and Kruger mentioned in the same sentence. Ever.

Uhhhhhh.................

OU_Sooners75
4/4/2011, 05:38 PM
75, I don't want any OU sport to ever start acting like a professional team. The university offered them a scholarship and unless any of them don't pass or screw up off the court/field, I feel those scholarships should be honored for the entire four years. Why create bad will when you don't have to? Let them get their degree and find success outside of sports. Who knows, in a few years they may be worth millions and had such a good experience on the team they offer to rebuild LNC.

They may even surprise you and become quality contributors.

Very well said. Thanks. I actually agree with this.

Soonerjeepman
4/4/2011, 06:38 PM
Because Calipari has such a fantastic repuation. :rolleyes:

I don't want Calipari and Kruger mentioned in the same sentence. Ever. Unless it's about us beating the living hell out of that scumbag and his team.

um...I was poking fun at Calipari..I can't stand him either...:pop:

BayonneFrank
4/8/2011, 07:04 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree. I'd lose a lot of respect in OU if they pulled moves like this.

the_ouskull
4/9/2011, 01:06 PM
Why would Kruger want to get rid of Franklin or Honroe?They are walkons.

Maybe they're TOO free...

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2011, 04:46 AM
If he decides to keep everyone, than he is a very admirable man. I just dont see what it would hurt to get rid of some dead weight.

You all are acting like I am saying get rid of our entire roster...and that is not even close to what I am saying. I think keep the best 7-8 maybe even 9 guys.

If I couldnt get players to replace anyone, I probably wouldnt hack more than 2 or 3 guys at most.

But that is me....Of course, I want a contender, but I guess since we have suffered the worst two year span in OU basketball in my lifetime (35+ years) it is okay to have mediocrity now. :rolleyes:

Not saying that Kruger cut two, but two wont be on the roster next season so it seems.

hmmm....

Hear are a couple things I've heard recently.

Nick Thompson has asked for his release to transfer and it should be announced soon.

Kyle Hardrick's status is still unknown, he is currently done for the semester as far as being on the team, so it looks doubtful if he will back.

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22166