PDA

View Full Version : More colored turf - this should be banned

Soonerfan88
4/1/2011, 11:22 PM
No, it's not a joke - Central Arkansas is installing purple and gray striped turf on their football field. The NCAA really needs to make a rule against this as it's getting out of hand.

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2011/4/1/FB_0401113911.aspx

jumperstop
4/1/2011, 11:25 PM
Looks better than Boise's...that's all I got

gaylordfan1
4/1/2011, 11:32 PM
I get it. I understand the fact that these schools want the nationL attention that the other schools get for having a stand out stadium. This is a arena type mentality concept. They can have it. We don't want it.

yankee
4/1/2011, 11:43 PM
The only red coloring our grass needs is the blood of the opponents...

jumperstop
4/1/2011, 11:58 PM
The only red coloring our grass needs is the blood of the opponents...

And the red paint they do on the midfield and endzones... :D

yankee
4/1/2011, 11:59 PM
And the red paint they do on the midfield and endzones... :b

Oh yea, that too! :P

jumperstop
4/2/2011, 12:01 AM
Oh yea, that too! :P

That's the emoticon I was looking for....lol

Leroy Lizard
4/2/2011, 12:04 AM
“We decided to use that opportunity to do something unique. We didn’t want to copy Boise State or Eastern Washington, so we developed our own color scheme.

Considering that Boise State and Eastern Washington don't share your colors, their idea is absolutely brilliant. How long did it take those brainiacs to come up with that one?

"I suggest we color the field dark blue, like Boise St."

"No, I think we should consider a deep brownish red, like Eastern Washington."

"Wait. Our school colors are gray and purple... I got it! A gray and purple field!"

"Brilliant!"

Seamus
4/2/2011, 01:22 AM
Are you sure this isn't some April tomfoolery?

Leroy Lizard
4/2/2011, 01:44 AM
If so, it's well done.

Unlike that other April Fool's joke making the rounds in here.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/2/2011, 01:44 AM
For crying out loud! Its CONWAY Arkansas!! Frickin' Conway. Luxury suites?? They gotta be fricking joking...

Leroy Lizard
4/2/2011, 01:47 AM
For crying out loud! Its CONWAY Arkansas!! Frickin' Conway. Luxury suites?? They gotta be fricking joking...

Let's first find out how they're defining luxury suites.

http://www.sportsmanagementdegrees.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/redneck-1.jpg

Rocko
4/2/2011, 02:07 AM
And the red paint they do on the midfield and endzones... :D

Paint? That is the blood of our enemies.

oudavid1
4/2/2011, 02:25 AM
It might be a joke. LSU said they were going purple last year. This does look amazing though.

Flagstaffsooner
4/2/2011, 05:02 AM
Brown is considering the same thing. To save money they are going to have KC scoot across the field.;)

SoCal
4/2/2011, 06:34 AM
The NCAA really needs to make a rule against this as it's getting out of hand.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/NFL--118519374.html

BOISE - The NFL is famous for big salaries, rabid fans and huge TV ratings, but a new rule will make sure it doesn't horn in Boise State's turf - literally.

While Boise will likely never have an NFL team, the NFL now has a "Boise rule." League owners voted Tuesday to outlaw non-green playing surfaces in a rule named for the Broncos' famous field.

NBCSports.com reports league owners wanted to launch a pre-emptive strike against teams giving their fields a makeover as part of a sponsor deal. The rule means we won't see any Coca-Cola red turf or UPS brown fields any time soon.

"It's only an answer to some great advertiser who may have (proposed) changing the field color," competition committee chairman Rich McKay told USA Today.

Boise State has the first, and still the most famous non-green field in football. In recent years a handfull of colored playing surfaces have shown up, including Eastern Washington's so-called "red inferno" in Cheney and even another blue field at a high school in Barrow, Alaska.

texaspokieokie
4/2/2011, 07:18 AM
much ado over nothing.

AlbqSooner
4/2/2011, 07:32 AM
Luxury sites at Conway look very similar to duck blinds.

85sooners
4/2/2011, 07:59 AM
Lol

SouthCarolinaSooner
4/2/2011, 11:48 AM
This is pretty awesome...just because I wouldn't want it for us doesn't mean it can't work anywhere!

Jacie
4/2/2011, 12:03 PM
Army should do their field in camo, with different motifs such as the black/white/gray urban camo and then switch it out to desert camo in midseason.

Soonerfan88
4/2/2011, 02:20 PM
Bad timing on the news release, but I guess several media folks called the AD and confirmed it is not an April Fool's joke like LSU.

Many won't care what Central Arkansas and Eastern Washington do but this is a spreading trend that I believe needs to be stopped now.

OU_Sooners75
4/2/2011, 02:25 PM
No, it's not a joke - Central Arkansas is installing purple and gray striped turf on their football field. The NCAA really needs to make a rule against this as it's getting out of hand.

Question: Why should the NCAA make a rule against this?

It does not give one team an advantage over the other. When playing football, if you are looking down at the turf, you are screwed anyway. :D

OU_Sooners75
4/2/2011, 02:28 PM

Well, Luxury to them is fold away lawn chairs made by Coleman...the same ones I use to go fishing and camping....Those things are luxurious and are not cheap at $26 a piece! :D

Leroy Lizard
4/2/2011, 03:23 PM

Preserve tradition. And like the NFL, it could pose as a preemptive strike against excessive commercialization.

StoopTroup
4/2/2011, 03:27 PM
I'd like a plexiglass playing field with disco light under it and refs in white tuxes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gkxS3EwN2ok/RxA3IqSgI2I/AAAAAAAAABw/6wDJVERhnD8/s320/SaturdayNightFever_300x298.jpg

Quik Sand
4/2/2011, 03:56 PM
A 6'7" forward....from Central Arkansas.....Scottie Pippen!!

Leroy Lizard
4/2/2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah, what about him?

StoopTroup
4/2/2011, 03:57 PM
Better than Jordan?

OU_Sooners75
4/2/2011, 08:44 PM
Preserve tradition. And like the NFL, it could pose as a preemptive strike against excessive commercialization.

Why am I not surprised you had a comment on this? :gary:

kiomanche
4/2/2011, 09:08 PM

Why is it geting out of hand? are u paying for it?

JLEW1818
4/2/2011, 09:21 PM
stupid liberal world

sooneron
4/2/2011, 10:33 PM

It does not give one team an advantage over the other. When playing football, if you are looking down at the turf, you are screwed anyway. :D

I have heard opposing players say that it can be a little vertigo inducing if you aren't used to playing on it.

Leroy Lizard
4/3/2011, 02:34 AM
Boise State has the first, and still the most famous non-green field in football. In recent years a handfull of colored playing surfaces have shown up, including Eastern Washington's so-called "red inferno" in Cheney and even another blue field at a high school in Barrow, Alaska.

Barrow? As in the most northern town in the U.S.? I cannot imagine anyone playing football there in the winter. It would be like playing football in Stalingrad.

Doged
4/3/2011, 08:22 AM
Barrow? As in the most northern town in the U.S.? I cannot imagine anyone playing football there in the winter. It would be like playing football in Stalingrad.

The blue turf is an amazing improvement. The original field at Barrow was surfaced with small gravel.

Leroy Lizard
4/3/2011, 09:15 AM
Why am I not surprised you had a comment on this? :gary:

Why am I not surprised you didn't know the answer?

bluedogok
4/3/2011, 09:33 AM
I think the alternating purple and gray is better than the solid blue or red, kind of like the alternating greens at Oregon.

It has spread to high schools as well, New Braunfels Canyon High School went to a red field. It is a new high school built right on the I-35 service road.

TeamRants.com - New Braunfels Canyon red turf unveiled (http://teamrants.com/2011/01/new-braunfels-canyon-red-turf-unveiled/)
http://teamrants.com/wp-content/uploads/New-Braunfels-Canyon.jpg

Soonerfan88
4/3/2011, 06:19 PM
It can provide an unfair competitive edge. There is a reason Boise State's uniforms are all blue, from helmet to shoes - the exact same shade as the field. It can affect depth perception as well as just finding the guy in the secondary sometimes. Yes, at least alternating colors is better than the solids.

So I guess an alternative to making field be certain shades of green would be to require uniforms worn on such fields be an obvious contrasting color.

Quik Sand
4/3/2011, 06:51 PM
Looks better than Boise

texaspokieokie
4/3/2011, 07:04 PM
It can provide an unfair competitive edge. There is a reason Boise State's uniforms are all blue, from helmet to shoes - the exact same shade as the field. It can affect depth perception as well as just finding the guy in the secondary sometimes. Yes, at least alternating colors is better than the solids.

So I guess an alternative to making field be certain shades of green would be to require uniforms worn on such fields be an obvious contrasting color.

Agree !!!

Eielson
4/3/2011, 08:07 PM
They should be able to do whatever they want with it. It's not like it's real grass. If they're gonna do it, though, alternating looks so much better. Boise's and the red one posted look awful.

SoonerInFortSmith
4/4/2011, 02:49 AM
The skybox jokes are funny. And I am by no means a defender of anything Arkansas related. Even though I have lived here over 10 years I still consider myself Oklahoman. With that being said, they do take their football seriously here. Fort Smith (population around 80,000) has two high schools and they both have their own indoor practice facilities. There are some smaller towns in the 6000 pop range nearby that have turf football fields. One of those towns paid a large chunk of change a few years ago to hire the head football coach away from Broken Arrow. So don't underistimate these inbred hillbillies when it comes to facilities.

SoonerInFortSmith
4/4/2011, 02:53 AM
And on a mostly unrelated note, my 9 year old son (who was born here in Fort Smith and has lived here his whole life) gets fighting mad when I tell him he's an Arkansan not an Oklahoman. It's quite funny to see and makes me proud at the same time.

OULenexaman
4/4/2011, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised Bill Snyder hasn't done this at K-State...