PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does Homeland Security have to do with gay marriages?

Chuck Bao
4/1/2011, 08:48 PM
I really don’t know what to make of this news article. I am proud that some US representatives are standing up for gay bi-national couples.

I just don’t see a lot of gay terrorists out there. Maybe there are. Maybe some people are terrorized by gays and their sense of fashion.

I had thought that US embassies abroad and immigration were under the State Department.

As many of you know, I had hoped one day to be able to bring Nope to the US with me and let him play as the non-beef eating rancher. It just doesn’t look like it will be in the near future with Homeland Security rounding up and deporting the foreign partner of a gay couple.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/04/01/Reps_Speak_Out_on_Gay_Immigration/

Reps Speak Out on Gay Immigration
By Andrew Harmon

Reps. Jackie Speier and Mike Honda of California and a growing number of congressional representatives are voicing opposition to the Department of Homeland Security’s “business as usual” handling of immigration cases involving married, binational gay couples — some who may face future deportation proceedings as a result.

Two California Democrats — Rep. Jackie Speier and Rep. Mike Honda — told The Advocate Friday that they disagreed with the recent decision by Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to continue adjudicating such cases. That statement came two days after the agency said it had put a hold on such cases while waiting for further legal guidance from DHS attorneys.

Though a USCIS press secretary said there was never a change in policy, the messaging from immigration officials led to confusion for many gay couples, some who had hoped to file green card applications on behalf of non-citizen spouses.

“USCIS had it right the first time,” Speier said in a statement. “We should put a halt on the deportation cases of all married, LGBT binational couples who are currently being discriminated under the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). This unfortunate backtrack means more LGBT families will be ripped apart because our immigration laws only give protections to heterosexual couples.”

Honda, cosponsor of the Reuniting Families Act, said: “I believe firmly that USCIS and DHS should halt [these immigration proceedings] until the courts settle the question of the Defense of Marriage Act’s constitutionality.”

Honda and Speier, who have both been outspoken on the issue in the past, are joined by three Congressional colleagues — Reps. Zoe Lofgren of California, and Jerrold Nadler and Joseph Crowley of New York – who have criticized immigration officials’ status quo in handling immigration cases regarding gay married couples.

Several gay couples interviewed in recent days expressed deep concern with the administration’s refusal to hold cases their pending legislative repeal of DOMA or resolution in the courts. “My frustration is not only personal,” said Doug Gentry, who owns a pet grooming business in Palm Springs, Calif. with his Venezuelan partner, Alex Benshimol. “There are 36,000 binational couples in this same position. We feel DOMA is so obviously discriminatory and unconstitutional."

As for Beshimol's case, "Now we’re back to where we started, in this constant fear of him being deported,” Gentry said.

Benshimol’s visa expired in 2009. Gentry has filed a married-based green card application on behalf of his spouse (the couple married in Connecticut), which is still pending. The couple has a July hearing regarding the application.

Rep. Speier’s full statement:

"USCIS had it right the first time—we should put a halt on the deportation cases of all married, LGBT binational couples who are currently being discriminated under the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). This unfortunate backtrack means more LGBT families will be ripped apart because our immigration laws only give protections to heterosexual couples. My hope is DOMA will be repealed once and for all, but until then we should give married, LGBT binational couples and their families the same peace of mind as their heterosexual counterparts.

"I recently applauded the President’s decision to order his Justice Department to stop defending DOMA in federal court. In that same spirit, he should now order his Homeland Security Department to halt all deportations until we find the courage to kill this unconstitutional law."

Mongo
4/1/2011, 09:25 PM
nothing screams terrorism like a couple of dick whistlers

XingTheRubicon
4/1/2011, 09:36 PM
I believe cornhole brown is our defcon 1 color.

Mjcpr
4/1/2011, 09:50 PM
Well, I think both involve Rangers of some kind.

Mongo
4/1/2011, 10:27 PM
Two suspected terrorists were detained and searched at LAX this evening. They had deep v neck t shirts and designer jeans they bought with all their disposable income in their luggage.

Mjcpr
4/1/2011, 10:30 PM
...one was thought to be smuggling a geoduck.

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/man-likes-tight-jeans.jpg

Mongo
4/1/2011, 10:31 PM
Send the fairy to Guantanamo now!!!!

Mjcpr
4/1/2011, 10:38 PM
Ferry or fairy? :confused:

Mongo
4/1/2011, 10:39 PM
what? have another beer drunky

Mjcpr
4/1/2011, 10:41 PM
Idiot.

Mongo
4/1/2011, 10:42 PM
ferries can go to guantanamo too

Mjcpr
4/1/2011, 10:49 PM
what? have another beer drunky

I wish you could see the XFiles. :D

Breadburner
4/1/2011, 10:49 PM
Watch out for dudes completely shaved driving Subaru's.....

Chuck Bao
4/1/2011, 10:58 PM
You guy are not going to hijack my thread. On second thought, yeah you are welcome to it. Take it, abuse it, do whatever you want with it. It wasn't going anywhere anyway.

StoopTroup
4/1/2011, 11:17 PM
Hey Chuck....we're headed to White Castle....do you want anything?

oumartin
4/1/2011, 11:23 PM
post 5 and 6 may be the greatest back to back posts ever on the internets.

Chuck Bao
4/1/2011, 11:34 PM
Hey Chuck....we're headed to White Castle....do you want anything?

Yeah, please send me a cheese burger. I really miss the good stuff.

oumartin
4/1/2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I really miss the good stuff.

The love of a woman? :confused:

StoopTroup
4/1/2011, 11:47 PM
Chuck...at least this thread just got a good dooshing....

soonercoop1
4/2/2011, 10:09 AM
I really don’t know what to make of this news article. I am proud that some US representatives are standing up for gay bi-national couples.

I just don’t see a lot of gay terrorists out there. Maybe there are. Maybe some people are terrorized by gays and their sense of fashion.

I had thought that US embassies abroad and immigration were under the State Department.

As many of you know, I had hoped one day to be able to bring Nope to the US with me and let him play as the non-beef eating rancher. It just doesn’t look like it will be in the near future with Homeland Security rounding up and deporting the foreign partner of a gay couple.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/04/01/Reps_Speak_Out_on_Gay_Immigration/

More excuses for wasting time instead of dealing with the real problems in our country....

Mjcpr
4/2/2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, please send me a cheese burger. I really miss the good stuff.

Then why would you miss White Castle? God.awful.