PDA

View Full Version : BBQ recommendations in the OKC

rekamrettuB
4/1/2011, 09:16 AM
Heading to my brother in laws this evening and they want BBQ. Need a good place around NW 122nd and May. Anyone?

saucysoonergal
4/1/2011, 09:20 AM
178th between Kelly and Western there are two great BBQ joints. Billy Sims and Steve's Rib. YWIA

jumperstop
4/1/2011, 09:41 AM
I like Rudy's down in Norman....that's like a 45 min drive from where you are.

Viking Kitten
4/1/2011, 09:45 AM
Leo's is my favorite BBQ place, but it's nowhere near where you specified. I also like BBQ Chop Shop at 7801 N. May. www.bbqchopshop.com

rekamrettuB
4/1/2011, 09:47 AM

I'm a Van's fan myself but yes, that's too far. His wife (and mine) is pregnant and she's on bed rest. So we are picking the goods up and taking to their house. I do like me some Rudy's too.

jumperstop
4/1/2011, 09:54 AM
I'm a Van's fan myself but yes, that's too far. His wife (and mine) is pregnant and she's on bed rest. So we are picking the goods up and taking to their house. I do like me some Rudy's too.

Van's is good too. I go to the one in Moore sometimes, brisket was a little dry last couple times though. Swadley's has some good sandwiches, although I wouldn't call it the most authentic style BBQ.

OULenexaman
4/1/2011, 10:10 AM
178th between Kelly and Western there are two great BBQ joints. Billy Sims and Steve's Rib. YWIA

being that I was born and raised in Edmond...178th is called Edmond Rd. :P

saucysoonergal
4/1/2011, 10:26 AM
Or 2nd street. I was translating for the OKCers.

rekamrettuB
4/1/2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the recs. Looking forward to some BBQ on the back porch.

okie52
4/1/2011, 11:14 AM
Billy Sims and Steve's Rib are Edmond rd (178th) between Kelly and Santa Fe Ave.

saucysoonergal
4/1/2011, 11:15 AM
Billy Sims and Steve's Rib are Edmond rd (178th) between Kelly and Santa Fe Ave.

Is there an echo in here?

;)

okie52
4/1/2011, 11:18 AM
Is there an echo in here?

;)

Indeed.;) I go to both places but I prefer Billy Sims for ribs.

You must be an Edmondite.

saucysoonergal
4/1/2011, 11:20 AM
The Brisket sandwiches at Steve's as well as the smoked chicken are excellent. You could get ribs at Billy's and the rest at Steve's ;)

Jammin'
4/1/2011, 11:20 AM
The Chop Shop mentioned and linked above is good.

okie52
4/1/2011, 11:25 AM
The Brisket sandwiches at Steve's as well as the smoked chicken are excellent. You could get ribs at Billy's and the rest at Steve's ;)

Actually that wouldn't be a bad way to go. Billy's sides are just so so whereas steve's are pretty good.

rekamrettuB
4/1/2011, 01:42 PM

Great suggestion. Thanks.

C&CDean
4/1/2011, 02:15 PM
Don't be so galdamn lazy. If you're on the porch anyhow, just set up the smoker in the morning, smoke you some ribs/brisket/chicken/links, and have bbq better than anything you can buy in a restaraunt.

You're welcome.

batonrougesooner
4/1/2011, 02:44 PM
There happens to BE a BBQ place at NW 122nd and May. Next to the Blockbuster. Forget the name but it's pretty good.

The Profit
4/1/2011, 02:56 PM
Don't be so galdamn lazy. If you're on the porch anyhow, just set up the smoker in the morning, smoke you some ribs/brisket/chicken/links, and have bbq better than anything you can buy in a restaraunt.

You're welcome.

That's easy to say for a guy, who was retired for an hour or so.

TitoMorelli
4/1/2011, 03:35 PM

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/dweebius/clap2.gif http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/dweebius/clap2.gif http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/dweebius/clap2.gif

C&CDean
4/1/2011, 04:01 PM

Heh. Well now I'm just going the ROTC route. Retired On The Clock...

OULenexaman
4/1/2011, 04:53 PM
I can tell....likewise.

ouwino
4/1/2011, 06:58 PM
there used to be a place out around meridian and 23rd i think??? called Poor richards. that was back in the 80's. i really liked it. however, i havent lived in okc for 30 years so what do i know?

i wonder if it is still open????

bluedogok
4/1/2011, 08:46 PM
Leo's is my favorite BBQ place, but it's nowhere near where you specified. I also like BBQ Chop Shop at 7801 N. May. www.bbqchopshop.com
I heard that the Chop Shop may be closed. If you were to try there I would call first. It didn't look open last Saturday when I drove by.

Leo's is still a favorite of mine, I heard the 36th & Kelly location has reopened.

I had Rudy's tonight, the one on 360/Capital of Texas Highway....

there used to be a place out around meridian and 23rd i think??? called Poor richards. that was back in the 80's. i really liked it. however, i havent lived in okc for 30 years so what do i know?

i wonder if it is still open????
It was Poor Richard's BBQ, in the Windsor Hills Shopping Center. It closed in the mid-to-late 80's. I grew up in that area and my parents and sister still live in the area.

rekamrettuB
4/3/2011, 08:36 AM

You're welcome.

Well we were visiting OKC. Had 3 hours to drive so smoking was out. What's funny tho is my father in law surprised us and drove up too. He smoked a brisket the night before. Long story short, we didn't need any places. Beautiful night and a great meal.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will save these for future trips.

texaspokieokie
4/3/2011, 09:11 AM
How bout place near fairgrounds ??

going to be there in couple weeks for the NSRA car show.

staying near there in Best Western.

jk the sooner fan
4/3/2011, 09:14 AM
no love for Earls?

texaspokieokie
4/3/2011, 09:19 AM
no love for Earls?

Where is Earls ???

i'm not very familiar with the "City".

jk the sooner fan
4/3/2011, 09:24 AM
there are a few - one in Moore off I-35, and one in OKC at the corner of Meridian and Reno

SanJoaquinSooner
4/3/2011, 09:28 AM
Well we were visiting OKC. Had 3 hours to drive so smoking was out. What's funny tho is my father in law surprised us and drove up too. He smoked a brisket the night before. Long story short, we didn't need any places. Beautiful night and a great meal.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will save these for future trips.

What side dishes did you have?

That's my beef with many bbq joints - the meat is decent but they take a dump and offer it as the side dishes. Who likes cole slaw in a lake of watered-down mayo? Who wants insipid mashed potatoes with a few chunks of celery that is called "potato salad." Jesus Betty-Crocker Christ. I won't even begin on the **** some folks refer to as baked beans. The meat may be great, but everything in this world needs both a yin and a yang.

bluedogok
4/3/2011, 10:00 AM
no love for Earls?

Where is Earls ???

i'm not very familiar with the "City".

there are a few - one in Moore off I-35, and one in OKC at the corner of Meridian and Reno
Earl's has great hamburgers.......I ate at the Bricktown one last Friday, met a friend for lunch there. It is good but nowhere near the best BBQ in town, nothing wrong with it but since I don't live in OKC anymore there are other places that I would rather go to when up there a few times a year. When I lived in OKC I had several places in my BBQ rotation, Leo's, Oklahoma Station (I lived at NW 50th & Independence so it was close), Hickory Tree (now closed) and a few others that I would go to. We would go to the original Earl's on North Western at times as well, it is in a former Leo's location. I used to sail with and against one of the principal investors of Earl's.

That's my beef with many bbq joints - the meat is decent but they take a dump and offer it as the side dishes. Who likes cole slaw in a lake of watered-down mayo? Who wants insipid mashed potatoes with a few chunks of celery that is called "potato salad." Jesus Betty-Crocker Christ. I won't even begin on the **** some folks refer to as baked beans. The meat may be great, but everything in this world needs both a yin and a yang.
I guess that you wouldn't like Central Texas BBQ much, in fact some places pretty much only have meat and no sides or sauce, plenty of places have good sides/sauce in OKC and KC. When it comes to "beans" down here they are pretty much always pinto beans, rarely can you find baked or BBQ beans of any kind. When I am smoking for a group I always make my baked beans and they are always gone long before pinto beans even by the natives who grew up on pinto beans with their BBQ. I don't like the vinegar based cole slaw and I prefer a wet cole slaw to nothing but a cabbage salad like some places make.

texaspokieokie
4/3/2011, 10:14 AM

Thanx, maybe we'll try it. Reno & Meridian must be close to fairgrounds.

jk the sooner fan
4/3/2011, 10:39 AM
i doubt i'd go to a bbq place to get a hamburger

i dont think Earls is the best - but it's pretty good imo

Rudy's is also a solid choice (as is Vans)

bluedogok
4/3/2011, 10:55 AM
i doubt i'd go to a bbq place to get a hamburger

i dont think Earls is the best - but it's pretty good imo

Rudy's is also a solid choice (as is Vans)
I like the BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Earl's has, it is a pretty good one and better than most places. I think it is better than their BBQ, I first tried it because we went to the one on Western so much when I worked at Britton & Broadway and decided to try something else, it surprised me how good it was.

Rudy's is my regular "in-town" place down here in Austin, when we do a motorcycle ride.car drive we will hit a lot of the places outside of town like Louis Mueller's in Taylor or Cooper's in Llano.

rekamrettuB
4/4/2011, 09:11 AM

My FIL made some a wonderful baked bean dish and a cole slaw w/ pineapple. My BIL made a mac&cheese dish w/ gouda. It was delish. All of it was great.

As far as sides go at BBQ places, that's where Rudy's stands out to me. Cream corn, Mac & Cheese, beans are really good. I don't necessarily prefer their meats tho. In Norman, Van's is where to go for the meats.