PDA

View Full Version : Does Stoops normally talk up freshmen RBs?

Partial Qualifier
3/31/2011, 09:05 PM
“Brandon Williams had a huge day,” Stoops said. “Hard-playing guy. He's got a ton of energy. He's been very impressive.”Seems out of the ordinary for Stoops to says such things about true freshmen in spring ball. :pop:

http://www.newsok.com/sooners-receiver-ryan-broyles-bulking-up/article/3554269?custom_click=pod_headline_sports

bigfatjerk
3/31/2011, 09:09 PM
Last year he talked up Finch. 03 he talked up AD. Talked up Q.

Partial Qualifier
3/31/2011, 09:10 PM
Ok. It seemed out of character when i first read it. Sounded a little 'glowier' than usual.

I remember Demarco got some props too.

bigfatjerk
3/31/2011, 09:11 PM
And Chris Brown

adoniijahsooner
3/31/2011, 09:13 PM
B. Williams will start....

IslandSooner
3/31/2011, 09:18 PM
He did talk Finch up last year...... but Williams has to be impressive for Bob to use terms like "Huge Day" and "Very Impressive"

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 09:20 PM
Thought this was going to be a thread about Wegner, but realized he wasnt a freshman nor with our team anymore.

DOH!

gaylordfan1
3/31/2011, 09:21 PM
I'm taking this as a good thing.

jersey sooner
3/31/2011, 09:40 PM
He called AD special. Just sayin....

MojoRisen
3/31/2011, 09:57 PM
That's big props! I remember the players talkin up finch for braking ankles but nothing like that from stoops himself. I am seeing that trend though in getting players and if there capable to help they will play immediately! We are loaded no reason for any fumbles or anyone getting gassed! We ought to be able to wear people out! Boomer

jersey sooner
3/31/2011, 10:52 PM
Holy ****. Soonersports just put up more videos. Check out the one called "Running Backs Hit the Chute." WATCH. BRANDON. WILLIAMS.

Leroy Lizard
3/31/2011, 11:07 PM
Is there any freshman RB that Bob Stoops has not talked up?

BoulderSooner79
3/31/2011, 11:14 PM
We are loaded no reason for any fumbles or anyone getting gassed! ...

Er? I don't see depth at RB related to fumbles.

AlbqSooner
4/1/2011, 05:52 AM
Er? I don't see depth at RB related to fumbles.

If you fumble, you can sit. Capable replacements for the digitally challenged.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/1/2011, 08:12 AM
Last year he talked up Finch. 03 he talked up AD. Talked up Q.

Niiice! He talked up AD as a Sr. in high school?!? :rolleyes:

bigfatjerk
4/1/2011, 08:18 AM
Niiice! He talked up AD as a Sr. in high school?!? :rolleyes:

I mean 04. But yeah basically every good freshman we've had, he's talked up.

Partial Qualifier
4/1/2011, 08:42 AM
I just don't remember it being quite to the level of this: "Very impressive" "Had a huge day". Even with AD, everything was tempered with "still has alot to learn".

And that was probably the case with his comments about Brandon, but the paper didn't print the rest of his comments.

Partial Qualifier
4/1/2011, 08:51 AM
Holy ****. Soonersports just put up more videos. Check out the one called "Running Backs Hit the Chute." WATCH. BRANDON. WILLIAMS.

He gets through faster than anyone else in that video. He's alot bigger than I expected him to be

CrimsonCommando
4/1/2011, 08:54 AM

Can you link it for me?, I'm having trouble finding it... thanks

ashley
4/1/2011, 09:06 AM
I look for Williams to be the Big 12 freshman running back of the year.

jersey sooner
4/1/2011, 09:08 AM
Here ya go. (http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=239989) Last time I linked one though it changed to a different video, so when you pull it up if it's not the running backs scroll down to where you see all the videos.

PQ: For someone who's supposed to the fastest player on the field, it looked like he more power running through those things than our biggest backs. He looks like a freak of nature. I'm salivating.

adoniijahsooner
4/1/2011, 09:28 AM
I just don't remember it being quite to the level of this: "Very impressive" "Had a huge day". Even with AD, everything was tempered with "still has alot to learn".

And that was probably the case with his comments about Brandon, but the paper didn't print the rest of his comments.

Brandon Williams will be the most complete running-back we have seen in years(If he remains healthy). I have been saying before he even stepped foot on campus that Brandon Williams is the real deal. High energy full throttle...thats how he plays. No substitute for that.

BoulderSooner79
4/1/2011, 09:52 AM
If you fumble, you can sit. Capable replacements for the digitally challenged.

True, but everyone fumbles at some rate. Coaches always do that to emphasis technique regardless of depth. I don't see that impacting the rate by any appreciable amount - I guess it puts a more talented back on the field after a fumble. We've been a very good team at holding onto the ball for several seasons in a row and I don't see us improving a bunch in that area; status quo would be a good thing.

cccasooner2
4/1/2011, 10:11 AM
.... it looked like he more power running through those things than our biggest backs.

Musil went through those things like he was asking: what chute?

KantoSooner
4/1/2011, 11:24 AM
Okay, an actual football question! <be still your suddenly pounding hearts>

I note that virtually every RB was leading with his ball-holding-arm. Is that because they are mostly right handed? Or is it coached? And, if so, why? It would seem to place the ball in greater jeopardy.

Disclosure note: I played only line and DB and was EXTREMELY crappy, so I never got any ball carrying coaching and wasn't even present when those annointed individuals who did were being coached.

Partial Qualifier
4/1/2011, 11:36 AM
Maybe using the trailing hand opens up more angles where a defender can pry the ball loose?

dunno

BoulderSooner79
4/1/2011, 12:06 PM
It's definitely taught to keep the ball forward where the RB can see what's coming. Most RBs change arms to keep the ball on the opposite side of the defense, but I've seen fumbles during the switch-over. Emmitt Smith always kept the ball in his right arm regardless of the defense and was not a fumbler.

Fumbles are going to happen and the best a team can do is minimize them with technique. We've been very good in that area recently and it will be interesting to see how we do this season. None of the backs will have significant game experience.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/1/2011, 12:28 PM
I mean 04. But yeah basically every good freshman we've had, he's talked up.

Haha I know what ya meant. I just love pointing out little meaningless BS like that. :D

jersey sooner
4/1/2011, 12:52 PM
I note that virtually every RB was leading with his ball-holding-arm. Is that because they are mostly right handed? Or is it coached? And, if so, why? It would seem to place the ball in greater jeopardy.

That's exactly why they were probably told to do the drill that way. Most fumbles come when you're hit from the same side you're carrying the ball on. It's a lot easier to maintain possession when you're hit from the other side, so no sense working on that.

Disclosure note: I played only line and DB and was EXTREMELY crappy, so I never got any ball carrying coaching and wasn't even present when those annointed individuals who did were being coached.

hahaha so were you a 160 lb offensive guard or a 260 lb cornerback? :D

jersey sooner
4/1/2011, 12:54 PM
But I need to go call my doctor, I've had an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/1/2011, 12:59 PM
BEAT IT JERSEY!!!

...I mean like get outta here. :D

tcrb
4/1/2011, 01:01 PM
But I need to go call my doctor, I've had an erection lasting more than 4 hours.

You dont need to worry yet. I've had one that lasted 6+ before with no permanent damage. :D

jersey sooner
4/1/2011, 01:16 PM
:D

KantoSooner
4/1/2011, 05:00 PM
hahaha so were you a 160 lb offensive guard or a 260 lb cornerback? :D

Started as 5' 210 lb nose tackle, ended up a 6' 145 lb cornerback. Kind of a weird progression, but I was much fitter as a Sr. than as a Fr.

NormanPride
4/1/2011, 05:42 PM
You dont need to worry yet. I've had one that lasted 6+ before with no permanent damage. :D
Mine lasted the entire 08 season...

Okie35
4/4/2011, 03:35 AM
And Chris Brown

he was underrated ... his vision was off the charts and he looked like he ran slow but he had some acceleration i can see how he was a state hurdles champ in high school.

StoopTroup
4/4/2011, 12:07 PM
I heard Bob was gonna answer questions this year from reporters....