PDA

View Full Version : Warren Moon needs to watch college football

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 02:25 PM
Dumb comment

Moon said he doesn't believe NFL teams are discriminating against Newton, but Moon is upset about the public perception of Newton. Moon told the website that Newton unfairly is being compared to recent draft flameout JaMarcus Russell just because they share the same skin color.

He also pointed out that Sam Bradford came out of a spread offense with Oklahoma similar to the offense Newton ran at Auburn, but there didn't seem to be questions whether Bradford could run a pro-style offense once he was drafted.

Not..Not..Not the same...Not a spread offense..They ran some spread with Sam, buts its considered a mutliple offense.

sooner_born_1960
3/31/2011, 02:28 PM
That, and the fact that Sam is white.

jumperstop
3/31/2011, 02:29 PM
Newton = overrated money grubbing retard
Bradford = very intelligent hardworking athlete who is a lot more humble than Scam

rekamrettuB
3/31/2011, 02:31 PM
Moon said he doesn't believe NFL teams are discriminating against Newton, but Moon is upset about the public perception of Newton. Moon told the website that Newton unfairly is being compared to recent draft flameout JaMarcus Russell just because they share the same skin color.

Say hello to every white wide receiver. First it was Steve Largent type...now it's a Wes Welker type.

starclassic tama
3/31/2011, 02:43 PM
Newton = overrated money grubbing retard
Bradford = very intelligent hardworking athlete who is a lot more humble than Scam

wait a minute... cam may be an idiot, he may be a lot of things, but overrated? not in college, that's for sure. dude balled out of control

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 02:45 PM
All I know besides having 11 guys on offense, the similarities in style of play aren't there..Not a lot of quarterback draws for OU, etc, etc

NormanPride
3/31/2011, 02:47 PM
Not a lot of fans grabbing his crotch as he jumped into the stands, either.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 02:49 PM
Sam waited until he became a pro to draw a paycheck

Breadburner
3/31/2011, 02:58 PM
Sam waited until he became a pro to draw a paycheck

BaMMMM.....!!!!!!...There ya have it....6 fIg NeWtOn.......

jumperstop
3/31/2011, 03:00 PM
wait a minute... cam may be an idiot, he may be a lot of things, but overrated? not in college, that's for sure. dude balled out of control

He was hard to plan for like any good scrambling qb in college, but his passing game wasn't great. NFL doesn't care how well he can scramble against noobs, if he can't pass not worth it for an NFL team. Even Jesus Tebow who made it has shown that type of college qb doesn't have it.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/31/2011, 03:07 PM

...And Cherokee. :D

starclassic tama
3/31/2011, 03:36 PM
All I know besides having 11 guys on offense, the similarities in style of play aren't there..Not a lot of quarterback draws for OU, etc, etc

not at all... that reminds me of all the stupid comments you heard before sam was drafted like "he never took a single college snap from under center" and if i'm remembering correctly, somebody broke down the tape and he took around 40% of his college snaps from under center. still a lot of shotgun, but that's a buttload of under center snaps too considering how many plays we ran. OU is not a true spread offense, some of the formations and routes are definitely spread, but there are also some pro-style elements. even moreso when sam played, with gresham healthy.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 03:43 PM
not at all... that reminds me of all the stupid comments you heard before sam was drafted like "he never took a single college snap from under center" and if i'm remembering correctly, somebody broke down the tape and he took around 40% of his college snaps from under center. still a lot of shotgun, but that's a buttload of under center snaps too considering how many plays we ran. OU is not a true spread offense, some of the formations and routes are definitely spread, but there are also some pro-style elements. even moreso when sam played, with gresham healthy.

That was me...And if my memory serves me correctly, it was 38% of snaps under center...

The general rule is that a team is a spread offense when 75% of their plays are ran out of a spread formation..Like you said, even in the shotgun, there was a tight end on the line many times..

The offense with Landry may fit that definition, but the offense under Sam doesn't

MI Sooner
3/31/2011, 03:57 PM

Which is what makes Moon's comments even dumber. Lots of people questioned whether Sam could make the transition from spread to pro-style (putting aside whether or not he ran the spread).

jersey sooner
3/31/2011, 04:15 PM
I would call our offense a "pro-style spread"

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 04:20 PM
Like I said, with Landry in there, it has evolved into more of a spread offense..

It was a multiple offense with a large amount of plays out of the I formation for Sam..Lots of rollouts, etc....Really, that team could lineup any number of ways with double tight sets, shotgun, I formation, etc....

jersey sooner
3/31/2011, 04:23 PM
I don't think it was a large amount of plays out of the I but I get what you're saying

ouwino
3/31/2011, 04:25 PM

i thought sam was Native American???

picasso
3/31/2011, 04:35 PM
Wife beater.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 04:37 PM
Here is the difference though...OU ran the ball a lot in 2008...With a fullback a large amount of the time..DeMarco/Brown were typically better with a fullback and did a lot of running out of the I...Now, put in all the play action passes on 3rd and short or think back to the PA with Sam rolling out a lot....

If I remember right, OU ran around 1100 or so offensive plays that year...420 or around that were under center...Now think of a spread offense and think about how many times they actually go under center...

Thats why they typically consider the spread teams to be 75/25 in spread formations...

jersey sooner
3/31/2011, 04:55 PM
That's why the best way to describe it was a "pro spread." The whole definition of "pro style offense" just means balance. Run to keep them close, pass to keep them back. We weren't running the ball because it was what we were best at. We were running the ball because if you had something else to focus on other than just our lethal passing attack, it was nearly impossible to stop. So in that sense, we mixed our spread passing attack with a regular run game, and it was brilliant. God I'm going to miss Kevin Wilson. So I'm not disagreeing with you that we ran a lot under center (and I guess you were talking more about spread formations), but the essential part of our offense was the spread-like passing game. And I could be wrong about this, but it wouldn't surprise me if 250 of those under center plays were with just one back.

AlboSooner
3/31/2011, 04:58 PM
OU ran a pro-style offense with Sam. Something like what Manning has run for a while.

jumperstop
3/31/2011, 05:03 PM
Simply put, Cam ran the ball on a good number of plays, designed plays at that. You could count the number of times Sam ran the ball his entire career on both hands, and I don't think any were ever designed. At least not that I can remember.

jersey sooner
3/31/2011, 05:07 PM
OU ran a pro-style offense with Sam. Something like what Manning has run for a while.

Ok, I guess I assumed when people said "pro-style offense" they were thinking a ton of I formation and a lot of one back. You're right, what we were running was very similar to what the Colts run. Which is one of the more spread out styles in the NFL ;)

oudavid1
3/31/2011, 07:08 PM
Who is Sam Bradford? And where can i get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

Boomer Mooner
3/31/2011, 07:25 PM
Maybe Warren should take a look at the difference in wonderlic scores also when comparing the two.

AlbqSooner
3/31/2011, 07:48 PM
Say hello to every white wide receiver. First it was Steve Largent type...now it's a Wes Welker type.

Actually, first was a Howard Twilley type, the Largent and Welker in turn.

SbOrOiNaEnR
3/31/2011, 11:41 PM
You don't have two 1,000-yard rushers in a single season running a true spread.

I think Warren's brain has gone soft from all those years in the Canadian leagues.

Leroy Lizard
3/31/2011, 11:58 PM
Maybe Warren should take a look at the difference in magnitudes in wonderlic scores also when comparing the two.

FIFY

cleller
4/1/2011, 09:10 AM
Why aren't there more white players in the NFL, Warren? Is that discrimination, too?

MeMyself&Me
4/1/2011, 09:38 AM
I think some people get so used to throwing in the race card they forget to consider that sometimes they really shouldn't.

homerSimpsonsBrain
4/1/2011, 09:59 AM
Like I said, with Landry in there, it has evolved into more of a spread offense..

It was a multiple offense with a large amount of plays out of the I formation for Sam..Lots of rollouts, etc....Really, that team could lineup any number of ways with double tight sets, shotgun, I formation, etc....

Now that Landry has more experience would you expect OU to return to more pro style sets? Or do you think that was as much a function of the players around Sam as it was Sams abilities?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:19 AM
Now that Landry has more experience would you expect OU to return to more pro style sets? Or do you think that was as much a function of the players around Sam as it was Sams abilities?

The bold part..I think the Oline has a lot do with it..TE development..

There has been numerous times over the last 2 years were OU could not run the ball...So there were games we resembled more the Air Raid offense than what they probably really wanted to do..

I'm really interested to see what direction Heupel takes this..Lots of people assume its going to be a lot of the same, but you know he is going to put his spin on it even if though it will look like what Wilson ran.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:21 AM
But Sam was one of the best college quarterbacks I've ever seen throw on a rollout..I remember bringing that up to a northeast scout...after he had went through the Bradford vids, he text me with the same opinion..

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 12:30 PM
Simply put, Cam ran the ball on a good number of plays, designed plays at that. You could count the number of times Sam ran the ball his entire career on both hands, and I don't think any were ever designed. At least not that I can remember.

I dont know....He ran a few QB sneaks. :P

Memtig14
4/1/2011, 01:10 PM
The race card once again poorly played.

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 01:41 PM
How many laptops have Sam, Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Mallet admitted to stealing?

How many tests in college have they been accused of cheating on?

Which of their dads is accused of a "pay for play" scandal?

Just wondering, Warren.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 04:23 PM
everyone who posted in this thread is a racist

Soonerjeepman
4/1/2011, 05:42 PM
All I heard was how Bradford wasn't going to make it....wow....Moon must be deaf along with color blind...

oudavid1
4/2/2011, 02:20 AM
How many laptops have Sam, Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Mallet admitted to stealing?

How many tests in college have they been accused of cheating on?

Which of their dads is accused of a "pay for play" scandal?

Just wondering, Warren.

Great point.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/2/2011, 04:08 AM
Who care what these opinion magazines think about Newton's leadership or playing ability anyway? Last time I checked, they took a **** on everyone for the most part. I remember EVERYONE talking about how Larry Fitzgerald was too slow to ever be more than a number 2 guy. He seems to be doing all right.

85sooners
4/2/2011, 08:39 AM
Sam will bend cam over in the pros and make moon watch!

mightysooner
4/2/2011, 12:44 PM
I'd compare Cam to Jason Campbell moreso than Jamarcus. How's Jason doing these days? Bvvvvvvvvvvvvt!

KNEE BRACE
4/2/2011, 07:19 PM
Who care what these opinion magazines think about Newton's leadership or playing ability anyway? Last time I checked, they took a **** on everyone for the most part. I remember EVERYONE talking about how Larry Fitzgerald was too slow to ever be more than a number 2 guy. He seems to be doing all right.

No evaluator worth a **** said anything remotely resembling that about Fitz. Maybe you're confusing his scouting report with Boldin's. That was definitely the knock on him.

Quik Sand
4/2/2011, 07:34 PM
Full Moon

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/3/2011, 03:16 AM
Actually Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 at the combine and they felt like he didn't have elite ability.

StoopTroup
4/3/2011, 03:40 PM
Full Moon

The one thing about Warren is.....he's not shy about showing you the full moon.