PDA

View Full Version : OU interviewed Terry Evans!

badger
3/31/2011, 10:21 AM
Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110331_92_0_NORMAN723114)

Another linky (http://newsok.com/uco-basketball-coach-terry-evans-meets-with-sooners/article/3554139?custom_click=lead_story_title)

jumperstop
3/31/2011, 10:24 AM
This isn't very exciting...UCO? I thought we were trying to go bigger name.

87sooner
3/31/2011, 10:25 AM

why did you think that?
joe said "good fit"...

badger
3/31/2011, 10:28 AM
Hell, I'm excited that we're actually hearing ANYthing about the coaching search after waiting so long.

WE LOVE YOU TERRY EVANS! :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515C8llShuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/91/914601.jpg

He's already called it his dream job here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110317_92_B1_CUTLIN691714&archive=yes) Anyone have any awesome Terry Evans stories to tell? Game winning shots? Taking classes with him? Etc?

achiro
3/31/2011, 11:07 AM
I like him better than Weber for the job.

SoonerMom2
3/31/2011, 11:08 AM
Count me in -- best thing about Terry Evans is that he is not using OU to get a raise which seems to be what a lot of these coaches are doing to various schools. Look at Painter who was going to Missouri when all he wanted was a raise. Think the same thing happened with Buzz Williams.

Would much rather have Terry Evans who wants to be our coach than someone who is coming for the money. Think he will bring a lot to the table because of his ties here in Oklahoma and with the OU basketball alumni.

SoonerMom2
3/31/2011, 11:09 AM
I like him better than Weber for the job.

Understatement!

OKC-SLC
3/31/2011, 11:16 AM
I hope he works out better than the last former player we hired to coach one of our revenue-generating sports when said program was at a critical juncture.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 11:17 AM
do not like.

hopefully this is just the minority interview they are required to have.

badger
3/31/2011, 11:17 AM
Think he'd answer if you called or e-mailed? :D
Terry Evans
Head Men's Basketball Coach

Phone: (405) 974-2145
Email: [email protected]

I plunked this right off his UCO profile page (http://www.bronchosports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=13), hehe.

I don't know much about him, but he sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders (three-time all-Big 8 academic team) and has deeper ties than some of us to OU: TWO degrees (bachelor's in business management and master’s in human relations) and father also attended (two-time All-Big Eight guard).

I'm starting to think Terry should have been our target from the beginning. Seriously, does ANYONE here anything negative to say about the guy, at all?

EDIT: And no, comparing this to Boo Blake does NOT count. Seriously, that is so unfair.

OKC-SLC
3/31/2011, 11:21 AM
EDIT: And no, comparing this to Boo Blake does NOT count. Seriously, that is so unfair.

oh, lighten up nancy.

(kidding baj)

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 11:24 AM
he's been on the OU basketball staff before.

badger
3/31/2011, 11:30 AM
oh, lighten up nancy.

(kidding baj)

I'm not just bashing you dear. It's everyone that has been so adamantly against hiring an OU guy ever since Boo Blake made it the unpopular thing to do. But when you consider everything Blake reportedly did - the Gary Wichard crap, the destruction of our recruiting files after his firing, the Troy Aikman gay bashing - we shouldn't consider that the norm for OU alums that become coaches. In fact, let's not just dissociate Blake from any potential OU alums that return to coach. Let's dissociate him from OU, period. He does NOT represent the vast majority of OU alums, coaches or not. NOT NOT NOT! OU does NOT put up with cheating, OU does NOT put up with screwing your previous employer on your way out the door and OU does NOT put up with all the other crap either! (like losing, hehe)

The Maestro
3/31/2011, 11:34 AM
Seriously, does ANYONE here anything negative to say about the guy, at all?

Personally, no. His desire to be the OU coach, no.

His experience as a coach or major assistant or lowly assistant at the D1 level...yes. He has NONE!

And the comparison's to Blake are based on that as much as him being a former Sooner. Blake had not even been a coordinator at any level and we hired him as a head coach. Terry surely won't be giving God credit for OU wins like Blake liked to do, but his resume is not what a school like OU should be looking for. If Terry were a head coach at somewhere like a Sun Belt or Horizon League school and doing good things there, then we can talk. But being the head coach at UCO and not really doing amazing things there is not good enough for OU.

badger
3/31/2011, 11:38 AM
Blake had not even been a coordinator at any level and we hired him as a head coach.

He did have some experience though:

Prior to his arrival in Norman, Blake had served as the defensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys, working alongside current UNC coach Butch Davis as well as former Sooner and then Cowboys head coach Barry Switzer. The Dallas Cowboys won two Super Bowls during Blake's stint. Blake also worked as a defensive assistant at Oklahoma in the early 1990s under Gary Gibbs.

Is it really a bad thing to not have experience? There's tons of coaches out there with experience that suck at coaching... and everyone has to start somewhere, right?

achiro
3/31/2011, 11:54 AM
But being the head coach at UCO and not really doing amazing things there is not good enough for OU.

I'm not sure I understand what you consider "amazing things"? I'm pretty sure he's done about as well as anyone could hope for in his stint at UCO.
BTW, I am not on the Evans bandwagon, I just don't think he would be as bad a choice as some are making him out to be and better than most of the names I'm seeing tossed around right now.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:05 PM

What the **** is wrong with people?

Joe C and Boren both stated that they wanted someone that was a "good fit."

Besides, big name don't mean big turnaround.

Hell, 90% of the big name coaches got their success thanks to the coach before them....not by being a Bill Snider and building a program!

soonervegas
3/31/2011, 12:11 PM
It would be like putting a $500 chip on red-30 via the roulette wheel. Odds say you will lose your money, but if you hit.....

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:15 PM
I hope he works out better than the last former player we hired to coach one of our revenue-generating sports when said program was at a critical juncture.

Well, let me ask Mr. Brainiac here this:

How much head coaching or coordinating experience that said previous alumni coach have before coming to OU? :P

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:16 PM
do not like.

hopefully this is just the minority interview they are required to have.

So stop being an idjit and tell us what makes you not like it? :P

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:17 PM
It would be like putting a $500 chip on red-30 via the roulette wheel. Odds say you will lose your money, but if you hit.....

And it would also be the cheapest route to go...Plus at least you would get a coach that isn't looking at OU as a stepping stone job to a bigger or more traditional rich program!

Partial Qualifier
3/31/2011, 12:26 PM
Would we be looking at the current UCO coach if he weren't Terry Evans?

And if we are seriously looking at UCO's head coach, what does that say about the whole situation?

We all know the answers to those questions and that sums up why this is a "meh" development to most OU bball fans

Of course Terry could have huge success here, but we've been through that "he's part of the family" deal and thus we're leery

badger
3/31/2011, 12:30 PM
OK PQ, let's look at the opposite - what if we took UCO out of the equation and looked at everything else: An outstanding former student-athlete and coach at local high schools that has strong ties to the state and area, not to mention OU.

Almost sounds like we're hiring Sherri all over again, doesn't it (and yes, I know that the reaction wasn't very favorable then)

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:32 PM
PQ...remember when we hired Coale?

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:33 PM
I am trying to figure out why so many people have a problem with OU going outside the box and hiring someone from the lower divisions or even high school!

Everyone needs to stop acting like OU is a destination job in basketball!

OKC-SLC
3/31/2011, 12:36 PM
Women's basketball is slightly different than men's.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:40 PM
Women's basketball is slightly different than men's.
:confused:

Who said they weren't?

However, the fundamentals are the same.

We are not hiring a womens coach for the mens team...we are hiring a guy that if the best fit for our program.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why Evans would be such a bad hire!:pop:

OUmillenium
3/31/2011, 12:48 PM
Evans would be an excellent hire.

Excellent coach who has demonstrated the ability to win championships as a head coach at the high school and college level.

Should be an excellent recruiter.

Sending him my resume for assistant today.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:52 PM
Evans would be an excellent hire.

Excellent coach who has demonstrated the ability to win championships as a head coach at the high school and college level.

Should be an excellent recruiter.

Sending him my resume for assistant today.

Probably be best to hand deliver it yourself....seems like a lot of well known coaches here.

SoonerMom2
3/31/2011, 12:59 PM
Evans has been on the OU staff before but that doesn't count as D-1 experience? Beginning to think that some of you would be unhappy with anyone but the Butler or VCU coach and those are not happening.

Why not go with someone who wants the job. Sounds like from radio reports that he was going to be on the staff as the coach in waiting so why not make him the coach -- he loves OU, knows OK, and has been a head coach.

As for comparisons to Blake -- apple and an orange because Blake was not a head coach or coordinator but a position coach. That doesn't even take into consideration that being a head football coach is a lot more complicated than being a head basketball coach.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:05 PM
He was the Director of Basketball Operations for one season before going to UCO.

That is not a coaching job.

He was however an assistant under Billy Tubbs at TCU after he graduated at OU.

sperry
3/31/2011, 01:07 PM
I am trying to figure out why so many people have a problem with OU going outside the box and hiring someone from the lower divisions or even high school!

Everyone needs to stop acting like OU is a destination job in basketball!

Because we just fired a guy who was in the elite 8 two seasons ago, and who did a pretty decent job this season with a team full of freshmen and sophomores, that will almost certainly be better next season.

To me, when you make a decision like that, it should be because you plan to go out and get someone really big time.

If you then go out and hire a guy who was the coach at UCO, it makes you wonder, how are we any better off than we were before?

yankee
3/31/2011, 01:10 PM
If we hired Evans, it'd be interesting to see how some of our players would fit in his system. I think some of the guys on our roster would thrive, but I'm not so sure about others...

87sooner
3/31/2011, 01:12 PM
Because we just fired a guy who was in the elite 8 two seasons ago, and who did a pretty decent job this season with a team full of freshmen and sophomores, that will almost certainly be better next season.

To me, when you make a decision like that, it should be because you plan to go out and get someone really big time.

If you then go out and hire a guy who was the coach at UCO, it makes you wonder, how are we any better off than we were before?

you got rid of a coach you are CERTAIN was terrible and hired a coach that could be better.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:14 PM

Look man...you can go to the "Fire Capel" thread and read it from the beginning to the end. I was one of very few that defended the man.

However, you cannot reasonably tell me that the outlook with Capel here was looking good in the future.

Just 2 interested recruits...one in 2011 and one in 2012.

I thought, and still do think, they fired Capel a year too early.

Yes he did a good job this year....but at the same time he also had a hand in why our program has fallen so far. I do not blame him entirely though.

We have the NCAA looming over our heads. Capel was on watch. He is ultimately responsible for the basketball program as the head coach.

There were plenty of reasons to fire Capel. 2 back to back losing seasons. The NCAA about to throw the hammer down on OU (most likely). The lack of fan support, and the fact that Capel was having a hard time landing recruits the last 2 seasons.

The future did not look very bright at all.

Does Joe C want a big name? NO HE DOESNT!

He wants the BEST FIT coach....

We fans want a coach that WANTS to be here!

Name one coach that has stated they want to be here? Yep, just one, Terry Evans.

Evans has been very successful where ever he has been. To me, Evans would be a lateral move at worse...but coach that absolutely loves OU and the basketball program!

SoonerMom2
3/31/2011, 01:17 PM
He was the Director of Basketball Operations for one season before going to UCO.

That is not a coaching job.

He was however an assistant under Billy Tubbs at TCU after he graduated at OU.

Thanks for the update. So he does have D-1 assistant coaching experience just not at OU.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the update. So he does have D-1 assistant coaching experience just not at OU.

Correct.

He was at TCU under Tubbs for a few seasons. Then he went to Midwest City and went 100-11 and won 3 6A state titles. He was there for 3 or 4 years.

In 2001-2002 he was hired by Sampson to be the Director of Operations.
in 2002, UCO hired him as the Head man and has a 164-76 record there.

Overall head coaching record: 264-87

The man can flat out coach!

87sooner
3/31/2011, 01:22 PM
Name one coach that has stated they want to be here? Yep, just one, Terry Evans.

if i wanted the job i would NOT say so publicly.
evans has alot to learn.
if he's hired...fine...i hope he is successful and stays a very long time.
but he should not have to campaign for the job in via the press.
it really serves no good purpose.
and don't believe there is no interest just because no one else around the country is announcing in on espn....

The Maestro
3/31/2011, 01:28 PM
So no D1 coaches held press conferences to announce their interest in another job? That is a clear sign no one is interested other than Terry Evans!!!

And Evans won 3 high school titles??? By God, he can flat out coach!!!!

And he was an assistant coach at TCU some 8 years or so ago? Perfect!!!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:29 PM
if i wanted the job i would NOT say so publicly.
evans has alot to learn.
if he's hired...fine...i hope he is successful and stays a very long time.
but he should not have to campaign for the job in via the press.
it really serves no good purpose.
and don't believe there is no interest just because no one else around the country is announcing in on espn....

You can say that all you want.

He let people know that it is his dream job....It is not something to be ashamed of.

Where did he campaign for anything? He was asked by the Tulsa World, if he would take it...and that is when he said that he loves OU, the program and to him it would be his dream job.

It isn't like Terry Evans has been out every day trying to get the job...he gave one interview to the Tulsa World and expressed his feelings about OU.

To me, if the rumor mill is true, it seems a few coaches have said no interest or that they just used OU as posturing to get a pay raise.

To me, if that is true, that is worse than anything Evans has said!

Hell, if I want to be President...you're damn right I will say it publicly.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:31 PM
So no D1 coaches held press conferences to announce their interest in another job? That is a clear sign no one is interested other than Terry Evans!!!

And Evans won 3 high school titles??? By God, he can flat out coach!!!!

And he was an assistant coach at TCU some 8 years or so ago? Perfect!!!

Who would you go after?

Evans has been a successful coach no matter where he has been.

Also, I am still waiting for any of you guys that are anti-Evans to give me some reasons why he would not make a good coach.

Oh wait, the only thing you can say is that he is a D2 coach with no D1 experience.

So, I'll be waiting for you all to give some actual valid reasons why Evans would be a bad hire!

Boomer.....
3/31/2011, 01:32 PM
It's gotten to the point where we should just hire Evans. It won't look as bad as other small name coaches because he was a player here and the fans will support him. OU won't have to pay much for him and he can lead us out from the spot where we are at.

The Maestro
3/31/2011, 01:40 PM
Oh wait, the only thing you can say is that he is a D2 coach with no D1 experience.

So, I'll be waiting for you all to give some actual valid reasons why Evans would be a bad hire!

I asked for this yesterday...show me the list of current D1 coaches that were successes at the D2 level before becoming successful (at least ONE NCAA Tourney appearance) at the D1 level.

You can't find it. It doesn't happen. Simple chain of events. At the least, you start out as a D1 assistant...become the top assistant...and then get promoted when that coach leaves or you get another gig as the head man.

Terry COULD be a great coach. COULD. We have no earthly idea. It would be a serious risk and gamble for Joe C. to turn over the OU basketball program in the current state to someone with ZERO big time experience.

Anything else?

sperry
3/31/2011, 01:44 PM
Terry COULD be a great coach. COULD. We have no earthly idea. It would be a serious risk and gamble for Joe C. to turn over the OU basketball program in the current state to someone with ZERO big time experience.

This is exactly how I feel. I feel we would have been better off with Capel than to gamble on a complete unknown like Evans.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:49 PM
I asked for this yesterday...show me the list of current D1 coaches that were successes at the D2 level before becoming successful (at least ONE NCAA Tourney appearance) at the D1 level.

You can't find it. It doesn't happen. Simple chain of events. At the least, you start out as a D1 assistant...become the top assistant...and then get promoted when that coach leaves or you get another gig as the head man.

Anything else?

Tell me how many high school coaches have made the job and been successful in basketball?

Hell, I can name one for women's off the top of my head. Sherry Coale.

I am sure there are some AAU or High School coaches that have made the jump and been successful.

Doesn't mean it wont happen. I am sure if I took the time and found a good database to look at, then I can find a few that have made that jump....maybe had to be assistants first...but I am sure there are some out there.

Just because he has not been given the opportunity to coach D1 basketbal as a head coach doesnt mean he wont be a good coach.

So again, I ask, what would make Terry Evans a bad hire?

And again, you will give the same answer...he is a d2 coach.

That really is a lame reason!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:52 PM
Let me also say this...Bruce Weber was good at Southern Illinois...after his first 2 seasons at Illinois however, he hasnt done that great of a job.

Pastner...the judgment is still out on him...not that much experience.
Williams...same as pastner.

Just because you come from another d1 program doesn't guarantee you will be a good coach here either...

Quik Sand
3/31/2011, 01:52 PM
Pretty obvious that neither of you are going to convince the other to change their mind.

:pop: ;)

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:55 PM
This is exactly how I feel. I feel we would have been better off with Capel than to gamble on a complete unknown like Evans.

An unknown?

Want to know what an unknown is?

Capel couldn't even recruit Oklahoma very well, let alone Texas.
Evans has strong relationships with Oklahoma and Texas High school coaches.

Evans may not be a BIG NAME coach..but again, that is not what Joe C said he was looking for. He said he is looking for that coach that would be a good fit for the program!

And in saying that, there is no guarantee that any coach he hires will be a good fit!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:56 PM
Pretty obvious that neither of you are going to convince the other to change their mind.

:pop: ;)

You don't really add any value do you? :P

Quik Sand
3/31/2011, 02:02 PM
You don't really add any value do you? :PNot between you and the other poster. My apologies. :)

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 02:04 PM
Not between you and the other poster. My apologies. :)

:texan:

heh

badger
3/31/2011, 02:08 PM

I don't think it was a press conference per se. I think the media just contacted him and he talked back... probably using that same contact info I posted earlier directly off his UCO page :D

I know I parodied the song earlier, but OU really does need a hero right now that can save this program from constant NCAA scrutiny, losing records and absences from the postseason.

Save us, Terry! :(

OU68
3/31/2011, 02:09 PM
Tell me how many high school coaches have made the job and been successful in basketball?

Hell, I can name one for women's off the top of my head. Sherry Coale.

I am sure there are some AAU or High School coaches that have made the jump and been successful.

Doesn't mean it wont happen. I am sure if I took the time and found a good database to look at, then I can find a few that have made that jump....maybe had to be assistants first...but I am sure there are some out there.

Just because he has not been given the opportunity to coach D1 basketbal as a head coach doesnt mean he wont be a good coach.

So again, I ask, what would make Terry Evans a bad hire?

And again, you will give the same answer...he is a d2 coach.

That really is a lame reason!

Not to be picky or anything, but you do know it's Sherri, right?

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 02:14 PM
Not to be picky or anything, but you do know it's Sherri, right?

Yeah...I got Coale right though and that is what truly matters. :P

sperry
3/31/2011, 02:23 PM
An unknown?

Want to know what an unknown is?

Capel couldn't even recruit Oklahoma very well, let alone Texas.
Evans has strong relationships with Oklahoma and Texas High school coaches.

Evans may not be a BIG NAME coach..but again, that is not what Joe C said he was looking for. He said he is looking for that coach that would be a good fit for the program!

And in saying that, there is no guarantee that any coach he hires will be a good fit!

Capel signed 2 Mickey D's all-americans out of Texas, and one out of Oklahoma. He recruited the area just fine.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 02:28 PM
Capel signed 2 Mickey D's all-americans out of Texas, and one out of Oklahoma. He recruited the area just fine.

And the two from Texas left abruptly.

Griffin....he came to OU for one main reason...his brother!

If you think otherwise you are just naive!

Let's see here....

Capel couldnt convince James or Reynolds to stay with their commitment.
Capel couldnt get any recruits worth a crap the last 2 seasons, nor could he position himself to gain recruits in the future.

His recruiting went bye bye when his coach (can't remember his name, starts with a T I believe) he hired from the AAU ranks left!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 02:32 PM
Like I said sperry....

I have defended Capel...and I also think they fired him a year or so too early...but my opinion doesn't change the fact that there aree some big issues with our program.

If you couldn't see them, then you should take off the crimson colored glasses so you can get a better perspective of what state our program is truly in!

sperry
3/31/2011, 02:37 PM
And the two from Texas left abruptly.

Griffin....he came to OU for one main reason...his brother!

If you think otherwise you are just naive!

Let's see here....

Capel couldnt convince James or Reynolds to stay with their commitment.
Capel couldnt get any recruits worth a crap the last 2 seasons, nor could he position himself to gain recruits in the future.

His recruiting went bye bye when his coach (can't remember his name, starts with a T I believe) he hired from the AAU ranks left!

He signed Cam Clark last season, who was a big time prospect . . .

Capel wasn't perfect, by any means, but I fail to understand what leads anyone to believe that Terry Evans, the head coach of UCO, will do a better job.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 02:43 PM
He signed Cam Clark last season, who was a big time prospect . . .

Capel wasn't perfect, by any means, but I fail to understand what leads anyone to believe that Terry Evans, the head coach of UCO, will do a better job.

Quote one person here that stated he would do a better job?

Hell, I have said at worse it would be a lateral move. I say that because look at where our program is right now. We cannot really get any worse than what we are now.

But if OU hires Evans, they would get a guy that loves OU, the program, and the fans...before stepping foot on campus.

They would get a guy that would work his *** off to make the program better.

They would get a guy that actually has an identity in the form of basketball we would be playing (we didnt have that under Capel).

Now, would Evans make the program better? Who knows....But would Kruger, Weber, Williams, Pastner, Jones, or anyone else make the program better? Who knows.

Not one coach we hire is a guarantee that he would make the program better. So why fork out a ton of money to get a coach that we are uncertain that would fit the program and make it better?

At least hiring Evans would excite the fan base again and give us a guy that is passionate at making OU better. Evans would give us a coach that doesn't look at OU as a stepping stone job, but as a destination job!

SoonerMom2
3/31/2011, 02:45 PM
Terry Evans will get along with the Administration and the alumni plus the local media -- Capel from all accounts was a players coach (?) but weak on the rest. That would have been like Bob Stoops getting hired and then ignoring the Administration and Alums plus the fans for the rest of the time. Stoops called us out to get louder and we did. I heard Capel on the radio trashing some his players on the radio as being lazy which I didn't think was right even if true.

badger
3/31/2011, 02:52 PM
Terry Evans will get along with the Administration and the alumni plus the local media -- Capel from all accounts was a players coach (?) but weak on the rest.

True! I remember going to the OU Caravan here in Tulsa once and getting to meet Sherri Coale and Bob Stoops. Alas, Jeff Capel who was scheduled to be there also wasn't. :(

That would have been like Bob Stoops getting hired and then ignoring the Administration and Alums plus the fans for the rest of the time.

He's probably not as accessible as he once was, but never outright shuns the media or fans, thank gawd.

Stoops called us out to get louder and we did.
I wish the scalpers didn't charge an arm and a leg that game, but it remains the most fun OU game in recent history because of Stoops ' "coaching." :D

I heard Capel on the radio trashing some his players on the radio as being lazy which I didn't think was right even if true.

I don't remember this but I can believe it. I have not heard of other coaches doing this in any sport anywhere that still have a job. Even when Stoops was addressing the BRS thing he didn't use names, he used "the quarterback" a lot though :eek:

Bourbon St Sooner
3/31/2011, 02:53 PM
If we hired Evans, it'd be interesting to see how some of our players would fit in his system. I think some of the guys on our roster would thrive, but I'm not so sure about others...

Some of the guys on our roster don't need to be on our roster. Or any major college roster for that matter.

badger
3/31/2011, 03:00 PM
Some of the guys on our roster don't need to be on our roster. Or any major college roster for that matter.

http://i53.tinypic.com/9bg0a1.png
These guys have been through a lot. If they make it through this coaching transition process and the new coach wants them around, I'd be willing to give each and every one of them the benefit of the doubt, regardless of anything that's happened before.

BigJerm7
3/31/2011, 03:02 PM
I think it may be time to go outside the box and away from the norm. good fit imo.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 03:05 PM
He's probably not as accessible as he once was, but never outright shuns the media or fans, thank gawd.

At the UTU game this year...when they dedicated the awards wall at the stadium, Stoops took the podium.

The fans were gathered around the fences at the unveiling....I swear Stoops looked me dead in the eye and said thank you to the fans. He said something that it is the fans that makes OU such an enjoyable place to be!

You should have heard the couple hundred of fans (or so) that were there....Excitement!

It is also when he made a comment about what Joe C said, that Stoops will be on that wall in the future...and Stoops said something like, "I may have my plaque up there, but it won't be for a good while!"

We fans implied that he said eh aint going anywhere anytime soon!:hot:

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 03:07 PM
Correct.

He was at TCU under Tubbs for a few seasons. Then he went to Midwest City and went 100-11 and won 3 6A state titles. He was there for 3 or 4 years.

In 2001-2002 he was hired by Sampson to be the Director of Operations.
in 2002, UCO hired him as the Head man and has a 164-76 record there.

Overall head coaching record: 264-87

The man can flat out coach!

The man cannot flat out coach. I played for him.

I then watched him coach at MWC. Did you see any of his games there? The kids subbed themselves in and out of the game. They played man-to-man and ran a fast break offense. Sheldon Williams had more to do with MWC's championships than Terry Evans did. How many of those kids played D-I?

His record sucked when he tried that Billy Tubbs game in Chickasha with slow white kids. That's why I don't think he's a good coach.

He knew one style of basketball and was not willing to try something else when it didn't work. He also threw temper tantrums as if he was a 3 year old. He didn't really teach us much basketball. The assistant coach, Brian Stalder, was twice the coach in terms of teaching basketball than Terry was.

The DO position is basically a way to get another coach on the practice court and not going over the NCAA limit on coaches on staff. Terry does have Div I coaching experience. I'm surprised more of you don't know what the DO position really is.

soonerborn45
So a lot of people were complaining about Capel because he was not a proven D1 coach but everybody is excited for Terry Evans, who is also not a proven D1 coach. Guys and girls lets face it, whether you are successful or not at D2, D1 is a totally different animal. I would not mind the hire personally but I mean would it be like hiring a less proven version of Capel? Experience wise that is.

OU_Sooners75
These guys have been through a lot. If they make it through this coaching transition process and the new coach wants them around, I'd be willing to give each and every one of them the benefit of the doubt, regardless of anything that's happened before.

If I were the coach...I would make some room...but would definitely keep:
Clark, Pledger, Fitz, Blair, and Orsby.

Bourbon St Sooner

Barry Honore ain't runnin up and down any floor. Nick Thompson - waste. I woulndn't mind seeing Fitz running the floor though and it might help CJ Washington.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/31/2011, 03:09 PM
Oh, Cade Davis I'm sure won't make it through the coaching transition;)

soonerborn45
3/31/2011, 03:10 PM

I then watched him coach at MWC. Did you see any of his games there? The kids subbed themselves in and out of the game. They played man-to-man and ran a fast break offense. Sheldon Williams had more to do with MWC's championships than Terry Evans did. How many of those kids played D-I?

His record sucked when he tried that Billy Tubbs game in Chickasha with slow white kids. That's why I don't think he's a good coach.

He knew one style of basketball and was not willing to try something else when it didn't work. He also threw temper tantrums as if he was a 3 year old. He didn't really teach us much basketball. The assistant coach, Brian Stalder, was twice the coach in terms of teaching basketball than Terry was.

The DO position is basically a way to get another coach on the practice court and not going over the NCAA limit on coaches on staff. Terry does have Div I coaching experience. I'm surprised more of you don't know what the DO position really is.

Hey I am from Chickasha and I can attest to his tenure there. It was not very good. Also, everyone above keeps pointing out that he was the Director of Basketball Operations, that don't mean jack crap. Guarantee he had no say whatsoever in the day to day operations. How much do you think Merv Johnson has a say in?

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 03:10 PM

young (still in 20s) head coach trying to get his form and style....hmmm...yeah I will definitely hold that against him.

The DO...may be a "coach" but in technicality terms he is not. So take it FWIW.

Partial Qualifier
3/31/2011, 03:12 PM

You had any luck finding those links yet?

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 03:12 PM
:D

Partial Qualifier
3/31/2011, 03:14 PM
75 you make some good points and I think our stances on this are alot closer than my post indicates. I'm not over the current funk of our program enough yet, to be excited about any coach.

Terry's either our 4th or 5th option, or he's a filler interview while we wait for the guy Joe wants (and knows he can get)

badger
3/31/2011, 03:15 PM
Oh, Cade Davis I'm sure won't make it through the coaching transition;)

pbbbth - the main story on SS.com is still about Capel being in a transitive state or being relieved of his responsibilities or some other glittering way of saying FIRED... the roster of course isn't updated for next season if that hasn't been changed out yet.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 03:18 PM
young (still in 20s) head coach trying to get his form and style....hmmm...yeah I will definitely hold that against him.

The DO...may be a "coach" but in technicality terms he is not. So take it FWIW.

Then he went to Midwest City and went 100-11 and won 3 6A state titles. He was there for 3 or 4 years.

so just the good stuff counts?

I understand you like him. That's fine but lets not just pick and choose and keep reframing the debate on Terry.

You brought up his past and it was fine when you did but it's not when someone with direct first hand knowledge of the guy does? C'mon.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 03:26 PM

so just the good stuff counts?

I understand you like him. That's fine but lets not just pick and choose and keep reframing the debate on Terry.

You brought up his past and it was fine when you did but it's not when someone with direct first hand knowledge of the guy does? C'mon.

I don't overlook his bad stuff...but at the same time...when first starting out in a career you are still wet behind the ears and think you know it all. You think you can do things the way you were taught.

Obviously, looking at his success over his career so far, his good outweighs his bad.

Who is to say he does the same now as he did at Midwest City or Chickasha?

It is called growing into your profession. You should try it sometime.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 03:29 PM
75 you make some good points and I think our stances on this are alot closer than my post indicates. I'm not over the current funk of our program enough yet, to be excited about any coach.

Terry's either our 4th or 5th option, or he's a filler interview while we wait for the guy Joe wants (and knows he can get)

I agree with most of this. But I am excited that we can move forward.

But Terry is still a very good option no matter is he is the 1st or last.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 03:29 PM

I don't overlook his bad stuff...but at the same time...when first starting out in a career you are still wet behind the ears and think you know it all. You think you can do things the way you were taught.

Obviously, looking at his success over his career so far, his good outweighs his bad.

Thanks for the career advice!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the career advice!

No Problem.;)

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 03:32 PM
But Terry is still a very good option no matter is he is the 1st or last.

I guess I didn't realize how bad our program has become. One where a good option is a guy from a local Div II school.

If Wal-Mart hires a CEO from the kid running the neighborhood lemonade stand then they will be in as bad of shape as OU's men's BBall program is.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 03:35 PM
I guess I didn't realize how bad our program has become. One where a good option is a guy from a local Div II school.

If Wal-Mart hires a CEO from the kid running the neighborhood lemonade stand then they will be in as bad of shape as OU's men's BBall program is.

Just admit it, you hate your ex-coach and you think he sucks ***.

That would be the first step to recovery.

God knows, outside your experience with Evans (and I am taking your word for that), that you really have no clue what he has done since.

So keep the hate bro....keep the hate.

Me personally, I just think you are a racist. :D

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 03:42 PM
Just admit it, you hate your ex-coach and you think he sucks ***.

That would be the first step to recovery.

God knows, outside your experience with Evans (and I am taking your word for that), that you really have no clue what he has done since.

So keep the hate bro....keep the hate.

Me personally, I just think you are a racist. :D

I'm glad you can read, I've been trying to say that I don't like Evans and think he's a terrible fit for our program.

I know exactly what he has done since he left Chickasha. I know what he did before Chickasha. It seems that you don't really know what he did at MWC, letting the kids sub themselves in and out. Excellent coaching indeed!!

If a DII Coach is the best fit for our program then I stand by my terrible Wal-Mart lemonade stand CEO comment.

I'm glad that you like him. I'm glad that you think enough of a person that you have never met to argue for him and stick up for him.

I think any DII coach is a terrible choice for us. I just happen to have played for Terry Evans.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 03:53 PM
I'm glad you can read, I've been trying to say that I don't like Evans and think he's a terrible fit for our program.

I know exactly what he has done since he left Chickasha. I know what he did before Chickasha. It seems that you don't really know what he did at MWC, letting the kids sub themselves in and out. Excellent coaching indeed!!

If a DII Coach is the best fit for our program then I stand by my terrible Wal-Mart lemonade stand CEO comment.

I'm glad that you like him. I'm glad that you think enough of a person that you have never met to argue for him and stick up for him.

I think any DII coach is a terrible choice for us. I just happen to have played for Terry Evans.

What makes you think I never met Terry Evans?

Like I said...young and dumb full of mistakes.

When you first enter your career you make mistakes or you think you know it all.

I am pretty damn sure his 164-76 record at UCO contradicts anything you want to say about the guy...so does his 100-11 record at Midwest City.

Obviously it worked for him well enough while with the Bombers that he has since been granted higher division positions.

But keep the hate bro...keep the hate.

I am starting think you hate him because he didn't let you play.

achiro
3/31/2011, 03:57 PM
I haven't heard anyone that's just super excited to think about Evans as OUr new coach but I also haven't heard anyone named recently that does. I don't see the UNLV or Illini guys being any better for the program at this point.
That is the question I suppose...at this point, who is left that you think would come to OU that would make you happy?

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 03:59 PM
Tell me about the time you met Terry Evans, please. How many times have you met him?

Yes, Terry would not let me play, that's why I don't think Terry is a good fit for OU.

Maybe we can get UCO's head football coach when Bob leaves! Does that make any sense to you?

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 04:02 PM
Tell me about the time you met Terry Evans, please. How many times have you met him?

Yes, Terry would not let me play, that's why I don't think Terry is a good fit for OU.

Maybe we can get UCO's head football coach when Bob leaves! Does that make any sense to you?

Quit frankly you make no damn sense to me.

Lets see here....coaching basketball vs coaching football.....recruiting basketball vs. recruiting football.

Yeah...your point is about as stupid as you are.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 04:04 PM
75 seems to want to turn the Terry Evans discussion into a pissing match and insult fest.

I will end my comments with this: If the head coach from UCO is the best candidate we can find to be the head coach at the University of Oklahoma then our men's basketball program is in far worse shape than I imagined.

Quik Sand
3/31/2011, 04:06 PM
Bobby....Bobby...(beer split open)

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 04:06 PM
75 seems to want to turn the Terry Evans discussion into a pissing match and insult fest.

I will end my comments with this: If the head coach from UCO is the best candidate we can find to be the head coach at the University of Oklahoma then our men's basketball program is in far worse shape than I imagined.

And if said coach from UCO turns out the be the best coach in OU history...what are you going to say then?

I am still waiting for some valid reasons why he is not worthy of coaching OU...other than saying he coaches at UCO.

AlboSooner
3/31/2011, 04:08 PM
I like "good fit" better than "big name." Sherry Coale was a tiny name, but a great fit. I think that turned out fantastic.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 04:09 PM
I like "good fit" better than "big name." Sherry Coale was a tiny name, but a great fit. I think that turned out fantastic.

Have you ever head the term, "The exception to the rule"?

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 04:09 PM

Good thing she came out of High School to coach D1 basketball...because if you are a D2 coach you may as well be coaching youth basketball because you are not worth a crap.

Quik Sand
3/31/2011, 04:10 PM
I like "good fit" better than "big name." Sherry Coale was a tiny name, but a great fit. I think that turned out fantastic.I am inclined to agree with this (besides Sherr - y part)
;)

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 04:11 PM

Good thing you know for a fact that Terry Evans is not one...right? :rolleyes:

AlboSooner
3/31/2011, 04:12 PM

You complained about insults, yet you insult me by questioning my intelligence.

My point was that a "good fit" is better than a "big name" because the fit comes before the name. Coach K was once a nobody.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 04:12 PM
Good thing you know for a fact that Terry Evans is not one...right?

chances are he's part of the rule portion. Very few people are the exception. That's why they are the exception to the rule, otherwise they'd be the rule. You do understand the concept, don't you?

zandozan
3/31/2011, 04:14 PM
That is the question I suppose...at this point, who is left that you think would come to OU that would make you happy?

I kinda like Steve Robinson, his name has been thrown around some. He's Roy Williams assistant at N. Carolina. He's recruited a bunch of good kids there, although at N.C. that can't be all THAT hard. He was HC at Tulsa and FSU. He's very highly thought of at N.C., coached with Roy when he was at Kansas so has Big 12 ties. I'd be a lot more comfortable with him than Evans tbh. If Terry got the job I'd be behind him 100% but would be a little anxious about it.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 04:14 PM

My point was that a "good fit" is better than a "big name" because the fit comes before the name. Coach K was once a nobody.

I just asked if you had heard the term. Folks keep championing Sherri as if her situation was the norm and not the outlier.

You might be the smartest person on this message board, I'm sorry you thought I was insinuating that you were stupid.

AlboSooner
3/31/2011, 04:16 PM
Nobody knows, including you, what kind of a coach he will be. We are at the starting point, and all we have to do is agree that Evans loves OU and will do everything in his power to make OU better. If he is a good fit, hire him, regardless of him being unknown.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 04:16 PM
Once again, why do you insult me? Nobody knows, including you, what kind of a coach he will be. We are at the starting point, and all we have to do is agree that Evans loves OU and will do everything in his power to make OU better. If he is a good fit, hire him, regardless of him being unknown.

Albo, I have not insulted you once in this thread. Not one time. I even said that you might be the smartest person on the board. I don't know you, man. You're probably smarter than I am, just like everyone else!

John Blake loved OU too!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 04:17 PM

So was Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Billy Tubbs, Dave Bliss, Kelvin Sampson, Roy Williams, Phil Jackson, Bob Stoops, Sherri Coale, Bobby Bowden, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson....

They all had to get the opportunity before they became good to great coaches.

AlboSooner
3/31/2011, 04:18 PM
I just asked if you had heard the term. Folks keep championing Sherri as if her situation was the norm and not the outlier.

You might be the smartest person on this message board, I'm sorry you thought I was insinuating that you were stupid.

You could have asked: might Sherri be the exception to the rule?

But, you made it personal, and insulting: "Have you ever head the term, "The exception to the rule"?"

The issue became secondary, and my "hearing" of the term became primary.

The question was really rhetoric, because we have all heard the term, but you wanted to indirectly insult me, because I don't agree with you.

I am not the smartest person on the message board

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 04:19 PM
I'm glad that OU is merely a stepping stone school. I had no idea that our basketball program was just like OSU's football program.

Do you really think of our program that way?

AlboSooner
3/31/2011, 04:19 PM
Albo, I have not insulted you once in this thread. Not one time. I even said that you might be the smartest person on the board. I don't know you, man. You're probably smarter than I am, just like everyone else!

John Blake loved OU too!

OK man. We'll agree to disagree. Without John Blake we would have never gotten Stoops. :D

See how that works.

OutlandTrophy
3/31/2011, 04:20 PM
You could have asked: might Sherri be the exception to the rule?

But, you made it personal, and insulting: "Have you ever head the term, "The exception to the rule"?"

The issue became secondary, and my "hearing" of the term became primary.

The question was really rhetoric, because we have all heard the term, but you wanted to indirectly insult me, because I don't agree with you.

I am not the smartest person on the message board

I'm sorry I stepped on your feelers. Won't happen again!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 04:21 PM

John Blake loved OU too!

JESUS H CHRIST!!!!

Really? And let me ask you this...how much head coaching experience or even coordinator experience did John Blake have before being named the head coach of OU football?

This is strictly my opinion, he was hired by Steve Owens because Smellobourbon pulled a Callahan and shunned the traditions and past players and coaches of OU. We had to get someone in there to replace that.

I could be way off base on that, hell, I was more worried about playing the cfb game then and didnt have a whole hell of a lot of time to keep up with it.

Anyway...yeah..he loved OU, but he never had any head coaching experience at any level and his hiring was kind of stupid and led to the fall of Steve Owens as the AD.

AlboSooner
3/31/2011, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry I stepped on your feelers. Won't happen again!

My feelings weren't hurt. Why do you assume that? I merely saw your post about the insults, and thought it was odd. I don't get upset over message board chatter.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 04:25 PM
I'm glad that OU is merely a stepping stone school. I had no idea that our basketball program was just like OSU's football program.

Do you really think of our program that way?

Take the shades off a minute. Yes, it is a stepping stone school for most coaches in basketball.

We are not that great of a basketball tradition. Sure we had a damn good 30 year run...but we have ZERO championships to show for it. Sampson left for Indiana.

If OU was a destination job, then why would Sampson want to leave OU for Indiana? Especially after just signing a top 5 recruiting class?

zandozan
3/31/2011, 04:43 PM
After watching this I'm kinda glad we didn't get Weber ;)

W-yUrVJniqk

soonercoop1
3/31/2011, 04:53 PM
At this point Evans is Joe's only "safe" hire...

EatLeadCommie
3/31/2011, 04:55 PM
I don't know why people would be sour if we hired Evans. It's not an impact name, but he knows OU, loves OU, and has a successful coaching history where he has been allowed to coach.

But not every hire is going to please everybody. I remember being very meh about Sampson and he worked out ok (until the violations). I remember being ecstatic about Capel and he did not work out ok. Evans has a very good resume and is probably hardly observed outside of Oklahoma. IMO, this has very good potential as a sleeper hire, and a hire that makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways.

soonerboomer93
3/31/2011, 04:58 PM

The only time OUtland experiences job growth is when he's watching pron at work.

achiro
3/31/2011, 05:03 PM
The only time OUtland experiences job growth is when he's watching pron at work.

and Viagra was involved.

achiro
3/31/2011, 05:04 PM
I kinda like Steve Robinson, his name has been thrown around some. He's Roy Williams assistant at N. Carolina. He's recruited a bunch of good kids there, although at N.C. that can't be all THAT hard. He was HC at Tulsa and FSU. He's very highly thought of at N.C., coached with Roy when he was at Kansas so has Big 12 ties. I'd be a lot more comfortable with him than Evans tbh. If Terry got the job I'd be behind him 100% but would be a little anxious about it.

Hmmm, interesting.

LiveLaughLove
3/31/2011, 05:23 PM
At this point Evans is Joe's only "safe" hire...

He's not a safe hire at all. He would be very similar to Capel. Little to no experience in D1.

I don't mind if it ends up being him, but he for sure isn't a safe pick.

Robinson would be a guy that would use OU as a stepping stone, I think.

Guess that doesnt matter if he can get it rolling enough that a UNC would want him to replace RW when he retires, but I dont see him as wanting to stay at OU for very long if he has a choice.

Blue
3/31/2011, 05:54 PM
As long as the guy is likeable and can recruit and tries to push the tempo, I'm all for it.

Terry Evans hit manya threes in the driveway when i was growing up. He can't be all that bad.

And I think capels undoing other than the pisspoor seasons was his attitude.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 06:39 PM
He's not a safe hire at all. He would be very similar to Capel. Little to no experience in D1.

I don't mind if it ends up being him, but he for sure isn't a safe pick.

Robinson would be a guy that would use OU as a stepping stone, I think.

Guess that doesnt matter if he can get it rolling enough that a UNC would want him to replace RW when he retires, but I dont see him as wanting to stay at OU for very long if he has a choice.

Shut the **** up Dip****! ;)

yankee
3/31/2011, 06:54 PM
FWIW, Bo Ryan made the jump from D3 to D1 and Bruce Pearl made the jump from D2 to D1. It's not unheard of.

I Am Right
3/31/2011, 07:00 PM
Evens will be the coach because all media outlets, animal, TV9 TV4 TV 5 ESPN said he didn't stand a chance.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 07:01 PM
FWIW, Bo Ryan made the jump from D3 to D1 and Bruce Pearl made the jump from D2 to D1. It's not unheard of.

shhhhhh....

We don't want trophy's head to explode.:D

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 07:02 PM
Evens will be the coach because all media outlets, animal, TV9 TV4 TV 5 ESPN said he didn't stand a chance.

Who is this Evens you speak of? ;)

If you are going to go with a name of "I Am Right" maybe you should spell his (Evans) name right? :P

LiveLaughLove
3/31/2011, 07:08 PM
Shut the **** up Dip****! ;)

Honey? Is that you? :D

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 07:13 PM
Honey? Is that you? :D

Hi sweetpea!:hot:

sooner518
3/31/2011, 07:29 PM

FWIW, they both coached at smaller D-1 schools before going to Wisconsin and Tenn. If Evans wants to coach OU so bad, that would be his best way to do it.

Jumping from D2 to D1 is pretty much unheard of if you are talking a program that is as big as OU's. (UW-Milwaukee does not count)

oumartin
3/31/2011, 07:31 PM
Terry Evans will win a NC at OU within 6 years.

Poli Sci
3/31/2011, 08:00 PM
Hell, I'm excited that we're actually hearing ANYthing about the coaching search after waiting so long.

WE LOVE YOU TERRY EVANS! :D

Anyone have any awesome Terry Evans stories to tell? Game winning shots? Taking classes with him? Etc?

He was the head coach at Midwest City when I graduated in 1998. We won state that year. I remember the second half comeback we had in the state title game, against the "U" (That is Tulsa's U), was legendary. The game was at the Mabee Center, in T-town, on the campus of Six Flags over Jesus. I want to say we were down by someting close to 20 pts at halftime and cameback to win it with Ryan Williams and Larry Reid blowing up in the 2nd half. The best basketball game I have ever attended. One of the fondest moments of my senior year.

Jason Alexander
3/31/2011, 08:12 PM
Terry Evans will win a NC at OU within 6 years.:pop:

Collier11
3/31/2011, 09:21 PM
Going from D2 to D1 for an extremely good coach is no more of a risk than hiring any of the so called "big names" that we have heard so far.

Buzz Williams 83-53 as a head coach 61% winning
Bruce Weber 296-140 67.8% winning
Lon Kruger 479-304 61.2% winning
Gregg Marshall 272-137 66.5% winning

Terry Evans 193-80 70.6% winning

Who else has been thrown out there? There will be questions as to if he can recruit on a D1 level but the guy knows how to coach

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 09:36 PM
He was the head coach at Midwest City when I graduated in 1998. We won state that year. I remember the second half comeback we had in the state title game, against the "U" (That is Tulsa's U), was legendary. The game was at the Mabee Center, in T-town, on the campus of Six Flags over Jesus. I want to say we were down by someting close to 20 pts at halftime and cameback to win it with Ryan Williams and Larry Reid blowing up in the 2nd half. The best basketball game I have ever attended. One of the fondest moments of my senior year.

So, did he just allow the players to sub themselves in and out like OutlandTrophy has said?

I am sure you attended more than one game and prolly new some one on the basketball team.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/31/2011, 09:54 PM
Terry Evans will win a NC at OU within 6 years.

Terry Evans is 5-5 in the NCAA D-II playoffs over the last 6 years, not exactly outstanding.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 09:55 PM
Terry Evans is 5-5 in the NCAA D-II playoffs over the last 6 years, not exactly outstanding.

Sarcasm doesn't register with you, does it?

Collier11
3/31/2011, 10:09 PM
Terry Evans made the Elite 8 and was robbed out of the Final 4 three years ago, made it to the sweet 16 this year

Jason Alexander
3/31/2011, 11:06 PM
Jumping from D2 to D1 is pretty much unheard of if you are talking a program that is as big as OU's. (UW-Milwaukee does not count)
Why not?UW-Milwaukee was the reason Sampson left for Indy.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 06:38 AM

bbbbbbut, have you seen his record at MWC? ;)

:les: He's a player's coach and loves OU and knows how to get along with the Admin...

sooner518
4/1/2011, 07:29 AM
Why not?UW-Milwaukee was the reason Sampson left for Indy.

he left for Indiana because thats a better job than OU is. Just like OU is a better job than UW-Milwaukee.

Hiring Evans would be embarrassing. Not because he's a bad coach, but because it would prove that we couldnt attract our first ________ (insert number greater than 5 here) choices and had to settle for an inexperienced "OU guy".

I dont really know anything about Terry Evans. It would appear that he has the potential to be a really good coach. Hell, he may be a great coach already. And if he was coming from a UW-Milwaukee or a VCU or a Wichita State or a Sienna, where had had success, I would say he should be one of our top choices.

If we hire him before then, it's indicative of the national perception that no coaches want to come here and we suck at basketball. Sadly, it appears both of those perceptions are pretty close to reality.

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 08:27 AM
Did somebody compare Buzz's winning percentage at Marquette in the Big East to Terry Evans winning percentage at UCO?

I did see that, right? Also, Bruce Webber at Illinois was thrown in their. In the Big Ten. A coach that coached in a national title game. Compared to a guy at UCO.

Unbelievable. It must be April Fool Day.

Soonerjeepman
4/1/2011, 08:28 AM
If we hire him before then, it's indicative of the national perception that no coaches want to come here and we suck at basketball. Sadly, it appears both of those perceptions are pretty close to reality.

hate to say it but THAT is just what I'm thinking...

I'm like Terry E, do think he'd give his heart and soul to OU, basketball is basketball...the thing would be recruiting...yeah he could get guys who could make a run every now and then...like the vcu team...

I HATE ku, but ku beats vcu 95/100 times...just vcu's night....

but OU needs consistency...

Midtowner
4/1/2011, 09:26 AM
People are certainly putting a lot of stock in DII being some sort of huge step down from DI. It's not as much as you'd think.

UCO's RPI was better this year than a lot of DI programs. UCO is probably on par with Tulsa and is probably better than ORU in terms of talent.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 09:36 AM
Midwestern State compares to Kansas?
Fort Hayes State compares with Duke?
Texas A&M International compares with Texas A&M?
Cameron University compares with North Carolina?
East Central compares with Texas?

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 09:46 AM
People are certainly putting a lot of stock in DII being some sort of huge step down from DI. It's not as much as you'd think.

UCO's RPI was better this year than a lot of DI programs. UCO is probably on par with Tulsa and is probably better than ORU in terms of talent.

shhhh....speak too many facts and some peoples heads will explode.:texan:

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 09:46 AM
Midwestern State compares to Kansas?
Fort Hayes State compares with Duke?
Texas A&M International compares with Texas A&M?
Cameron University compares with North Carolina?
East Central compares with Texas?

You do not use your brain to the fullest of its capacity do you?

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 09:49 AM
not even close.

Just enough to laugh at folks that are really trying to compare UCO's DII schedule to that of a DI program.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 09:50 AM
I'm just sad that some of you have such low expectations for our basketball program.

Boomer.....
4/1/2011, 09:51 AM
I'm honestly hoping for Terry Evans at this point. We have exhausted most of our top options and are starting to look pathetic. Grab the guy that wants the job and see where he takes us.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 09:52 AM
Would Terry Evans even be considered if he hadn't gone to school at OU?

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 09:52 AM
not even close.

Just enough to laugh at folks that are really trying to compare UCO's DII schedule to that of a DI program.

Yeah...I don't think anyone was comparing schedules...but someone did mention RPI rankings and UCO's being comparable to some D-1 schools, not all.

But don't hurt yourself in your personal hate for a coach that thought you sucked at basketball so you didn't get to be anything but the towel boy.

Don't be mad, some of people are just not as talented as others in sports.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 09:53 AM

Good question.

Boomer.....
4/1/2011, 09:54 AM

Probably not. I doubt we would seek out a D2 coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 09:55 AM
What I don't like about hiring alumni is that they are given a very long leash to fail with..

If you switched Capel with Evans and everything is the same(wins,losses,circumstances), I think Evans still has the job...IMO

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah...I don't think anyone was comparing schedules...but someone did mention RPI rankings and UCO's being comparable to some D-1 schools, not all.

But don't hurt yourself in your personal hate for a coach that thought you sucked at basketball so you didn't get to be anything but the towel boy.

Don't be mad, some of people are just not as talented as others in sports.

I don't know why you're trying to make this about me. You don't know anything about me, I don't know anything about you.

What is Terry's post season record at UCO?

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 09:56 AM
I'm just sad that some of you have such low expectations for our basketball program.

LMFAO....only a fool would suggest such a thing.

I have very high expectations of our basketball program...probably too high.

But at this point in time, it seems Joe C is grasping at straws and those straws are telling him no or are not interested.

Granted, that is just assumption, since nothing is really being made public.

However, if there is something to that assumption, then we are not setting low expectations of our program...the nation is.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:01 AM
Would you say that Terry Evans has been extremely successful at the DII level?

Is he one of the top 5 coaches at the DII level?

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:02 AM
I don't know why you're trying to make this about me. You don't know anything about me, I don't know anything about you.

What is Terry's post season record at UCO?

You make it easy to make it about your hate for Evans.

Not sure what his post season record is at UCO...however, his record there is 221-82. He has lead UCO to 7 D2 tourneys in 9 years.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:02 AM
This guy down here at EOSC took over a team that won 0 basketball games last year...He won 19 or 20 this year...That has to be one of the biggest improvements in college basketball history, if not the biggest..He has coached at the D2 level and has a fair amount of experience..

I don't know that I would want him for the job..There is so still IMO so many high quality guys out there...I would love to get about anyone who has coached under Bo Ryan at Wisconsin...Dooley at Kansas...

I hate to make a desperation move because thats a sign to the team and recruits that we don't expect the best.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:03 AM
What's his postseason record at UCO?

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:05 AM
Would you say that Terry Evans has been extremely successful at the DII level?

Is he one of the top 5 coaches at the DII level?

Currently I would say so.

Hell, in 9 years he has taken the program to 7 tourneys and amassed a 221-83 overall record.

He has not won a title there, but he turned UCO into a very dangerous and top 10 program in D2.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:06 AM
however, his record there is 221-83. .

it is not.

If you're just going to make stuff up then there isn't even a chance to have a civil discussion about Mr. Evans.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:07 AM
What's his postseason record at UCO?

well, since joe blow earlier said 5-5...I would say that is wrong since he has been to the tourney 7 times without a championship...so something-7 would be his record.

Your point?

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 10:07 AM
Grab the guy that wants the job and see where he takes us.

So they are willing to hire me cause I want it. Heck, I'll coach the team for a measley 250K!

Me, me, me, me, me!!! I want it!!! I really do!!!:rolleyes:

D2 RPI...who cares? Like some have said, if Terry had been hanging banners from the rafters with national titles at UCO, that is one thing. He's been decent at that level, but not eye-catching great.

I say, at this point, we check on top notch assistant coaches at major programs. Great recruiters for top tier programs willing to come in and start from scratch since we have NCAA issues and not a lot of talent on campus.

Whoever it is shouldn't be judged by year one or two...it won't be pretty. At best, by year three, we could be somewhat respectable again if the coach works hard at it.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:08 AM
it is not.

If you're just going to make stuff up then there isn't even a chance to have a civil discussion about Mr. Evans.

That is what this article says his record is at UCO.

“I felt like I had to coach my team more than I ever did this season tonight,” said Evans, whose UCO teams are 221-82 during his tenure. “When two of your best players are on the bench and the other team shoots 45 free throws on your home court, it's tough.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/uco-falls-to-midwestern-state-terry-evans-says-hes-interested-in-ou-job/article/3549233#ixzz1IHwEfWWw

Click the link numbnuts.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:09 AM
I'd like to know how he does in the post season against the top DII teams. I don't really care how he has done against Cameron and East Central.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.bronchosports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=144&path=mbball

Evans is 193-79 in nine years at UCO -- including a 104-23 mark the last four seasons -- and has directed the Bronchos to seven national tournament appearances, including the last four in a row. He also led the team to six Lone Star Conference North Division titles and two overall league crowns.

The Maestro
And let me be the first to say "no thanks" to Bo Ryan at Wisconsin. Unwatchable basketball. Slow, boring, half court-minded. I'd seriously hire a Paul Westhead or Mike D'Antoni disciple before that guy. Just make them fun, relevant, and...um...ENTERTAINING!

OU_Sooners75
I'd like to know how he does in the post season against the top DII teams. I don't really care how he has done against Cameron and East Central.

Try Google...it is a very good search tool.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:12 AM
Not very well is the answer.

You claim that he's a top 5 DII coach.

Without using Google or any other search engine or going to any website, can you name 2 of the other top 5 coaches in DII? 2 of the top 10?

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:16 AM
http://www.bronchosports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=144&path=mbball

So the article took that record and added his 30-4 record this year....leave it to DOK! :D

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:20 AM
Not very well is the answer.

You claim that he's a top 5 DII coach.

Without using Google or any other search engine or going to any website, can you name 2 of the other top 5 coaches in DII? 2 of the top 10?

You do the same?

You want to make this a trivia game?

The last few years, UCO has been a top 10 program....considering where they were before Evans...I think he can be mentioned as a top 5 coach.

God knows the hate you have for the guy for making you the MWC towel boy instead of hurting his chance at winning games by letting you play will say he is one of the worst.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:21 AM
Gary Sparling (Sp?) is just the other D2 coach I know of.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:21 AM
the UCO website schedule goes to 2005

He's been to the elite 8 once, Jeff Capel did that at OU....

He's 9-4 in conference play, 5-4 in regional play and 0-1 in the Elite 8

not really that impressive. or is it?

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 10:23 AM
Let's all just take a deep breath and step back for a minute.

Now listen...I have been an OU basketball fan since the days of going to see the Sooners beat Rolando Blackman and K-State in those two tone gawd awful purple uni's and getting me a red and white striped OU basketball.

I saw David Little and Chuckie Barnett abuse the perimeter in an era before the 3 point line was implemented, something that would have added a lot to that OU teams chances.

I remember Les Pace and Calvin Pierce. I remember the NIT semifinal or final game against Georgia and some young stud named Dominique Wilkins.

I went through the great Tubbs era enjoying every minute of it. As diehard of an OU football fan I am, the loss in the title game to Kansas is still the most painful one cause that was as great a team as I had seen and we were so much better than Kansas...they just got some great performances from players not named Manning that night and beat us in the final 20 minutes.

So I do care about the program. It is just nuts to me that two years removed from the most dynamic player in school history gracing the campus and getting OU to an Elite 8 before losing to the eventual national champs the program has gone so far back. Horrible recruiting choices, NCAA issues, fan support issues...things that do not make us attractive to a lot of coaches. We can pay them...but for what? In this era of "win now" we give ourselves very little hope to get a great hire.

Joe C. is in a tough spot. This is his biggest hire to date. We all know he knocked it out of the ballpark with Stoops. Is that to Joe C.'s credit or Stoops? He fell backwards into Galloway and that worked out...but his first choice was an embarrassing situation there. Capel seemed to be the right guy two years ago...then came the meltdown.

Now we need someone who can handle the rough waters and demands time to get us back to respectable...like 21-9, 20-10...let's get used to winning again and a winning expectation. We have to recruit, coach up and be clean. College hoops seems harder and harder to do that. You'd love to get Bruce Pearl in here cause he can recruit and win...but he obbviously can't do it clean. Why not a top notch assistant of Calipari, Pitino or from Connecticut? Again, issues with those guys.

Who knows...some love Evans while some of us just think that is putting a former Sooner in over his head and I hate to see another former Sooner come back and almost never be welcome back or have bitter memories of the place when they are done (i.e., Blake and Gibbs).

It's a tough call and obviously a tough hire. Just getting embarrassing at this point.

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:25 AM
You do the same?

You want to make this a trivia game?

The last few years, UCO has been a top 10 program....considering where they were before Evans...I think he can be mentioned as a top 5 coach.

God knows the hate you have for the guy for making you the MWC towel boy instead of hurting his chance at winning games by letting you play will say he is one of the worst.

Why would I do the same? I never made the claim that he's one of the top 5 like you did. How can you honestly say he's top 5 if you don't know anything about any of the other DII coaches?
I played a lot. I never played for MWC but you should have known that.

I don't think the guy has done anything fantastic or special at UCO that would make anyone think that he would be a success at the DI level. That's my thoughts on this. You think he's special, I get that. But his record says otherwise.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:26 AM
9-13

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:27 AM
the UCO website schedule goes to 2005

He's been to the elite 8 once, Jeff Capel did that at OU....

He's 9-4 in conference play, 5-4 in regional play and 0-1 in the Elite 8

not really that impressive. or is it?

He has been to the sweet 16 twice
He has been to the elite 8 once.
He has been one and done twice.

Add it up dip****....that is 5-5. However, they say he has been to the tourney 7 times...so I am thinking at best 7-7 and at worst 5-7

Not the greatest...but not too damn bad either.

It is right there on his bio at UCO sports.

He lost last year in double OT in the elite 8.
This year, Midwestern shot 43 free throws...and that game was played at UCO. :eek: They lost by 6.

Yeah...the guy flat out suck...:rolleyes:

No, wait, he doesn't suck...it is you have a blind hatred for the man because you sucked at bball when you and your mommy thought you should have gotten more playing time.

Get over it kiddo...

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:27 AM
If the head coach from UCO is the best candidate we can find to be the head coach at the University of Oklahoma then our men's basketball program is in far worse shape than I imagined.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:28 AM
Why would I do the same? I never made the claim that he's one of the top 5 like you did. How can you honestly say he's top 5 if you don't know anything about any of the other DII coaches?
I played a lot. I never played for MWC but you should have known that.

I don't think the guy has done anything fantastic or special at UCO that would make anyone think that he would be a success at the DI level. That's my thoughts on this. You think he's special, I get that. But his record says otherwise.

Oh, so you played at Chickasha?

Well, sorry for insulting MWC.

Midtowner
4/1/2011, 10:29 AM
not even close.

RPI takes care of that and breaks it down in an objective mathematical way.

And ORU's schedule =/= OU's schedule. Remember, Division 1 has quite a few basketball programs in it, and not all are created equally.

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 10:30 AM
75, rattling off his success at UCO...you might as well tell me about the junior high coach at Tuttle who has won 75 straight games...or the YMCA 4th grade coach in Pawnee who has 5 straight blue ribbons.

It means nothing....NOTHING...in comparison to D1 success.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:31 AM
If the head coach from UCO is the best candidate we can find to be the head coach at the University of Oklahoma then our men's basketball program is in far worse shape than I imagined.

No one said he was the best candidate...but some of us do think he would be a damn good fit and would do a damn good job at OU.

And in case you aren't aware...9 conference wins in 2 years is pretty pathetic...wouldnt you think?

So yes, our program is in pretty bad shape right now.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:31 AM
75, rattling off his success at UCO...you might as well tell me about the junior high coach at Tuttle who has won 75 straight games...or the YMCA 4th grade coach in Pawnee who has 5 straight blue ribbons.

It means nothing....NOTHING...in comparison to D1 success.

Maestro...I guess old D2 coaches like Bruce Pearl just sucked at D1...didnt they?

Bosley
4/1/2011, 10:33 AM
Why do you all hate black people?

and freedom?

Boomer.....
4/1/2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.awkwardturkey.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/seinfeld_had_enough.gif

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:34 AM
Why do you all hate black people?

and freedom?

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/thats-racist.gif

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:35 AM
I think the difference is that Bruce Pearl did a pretty great job at Wisconsin-Milwaukee before taking that Tennessee job..there was some proof this guy can hang with the big boys

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:37 AM
I think the difference is that Bruce Pearl did a pretty great job at Wisconsin-Milwaukee before taking that Tennessee job..there was some proof this guy can hang with the big boys

So because Evans hasn't been given that opportunity he is not worth the look or the shot?

Gotcha!:rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:38 AM
well you made the comparison to Bruce Pearl and i just showed you it didn't fit because he had D1 experience

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:39 AM
exactly. I'd be just as against the other top 5 DII coaches getting the OU job. I just don't think Big XII schools and OU in particular should be a guy's first experience in the DI world.

The Maestro
Maestro...I guess old D2 coaches like Bruce Pearl just sucked at D1...didnt they?

And upon finishing is coaching career at the D2 level did he go straight to Tennessee?

No.

UW-Milwaukee. A mid-major.

Your point?

OU_Sooners75
well you made the comparison to Bruce Pearl and i just showed you it didn't fit because he had D1 experience

The only D1 experience Evans doesn't have is HC....but I guess that is all we should hire, a coach that does.

Thank god, Sherri Coale had some before being hired at OU.

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 10:40 AM

pimp, don't let facts get in the way of 75's argument...ruins everything!

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:41 AM
I don't hire guys with no experience into my $200k positions that I need filled. I pay them $75k while they learn the business and pay their dues.

I believe basketball coaches should have to do the same.

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 10:41 AM
The only D1 experience Evans doesn't have is HC....but I guess that is all we should hire, a coach that does.

Thank god, Sherri Coale had some before being hired at OU.

Wow...this thread is dead to me.

75, I am guessing you are not a lawyer, right?

Ron White has you pegged.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:42 AM
And upon finishing is coaching career at the D2 level did he go straight to Tennessee?

No.

UW-Milwaukee. A mid-major.

Your point?

So your point is, if they do not have any D1 HC experience, they shouldn't be hired.

Like I said, thank god Sherri Coale had hc D-1 experience hiring her.
Thank god Stoops had D-1A HC experience before hiring him.

hmmmm.....

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:43 AM
I don't hire guys with no experience into my $200k positions that I need filled. I pay them $75k while they learn the business and pay their dues.

I believe basketball coaches should have to do the same.

I agree...if we hire Evans, we should not pay him top dollar. I think I have said something like that before.

Pay him a minimal base with incentives to earn more.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:44 AM
Wow...this thread is dead to me.

75, I am guessing you are not a lawyer, right?

OutlandTrophy
4/1/2011, 10:45 AM
every time you talk 'bout boxing the white guy has to bring up Rocky Marciano, Rocky Marciano

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:46 AM
pimp, don't let facts get in the way of 75's argument...ruins everything!

What facts are getting in the way...never said Bruce Pearl did not coach D1 somewhere else.

However, I do not think a coach necessarily needs to have D1 HC experience to be qualified for hire.

I think the next HC needs to be a good fit, that would love being here and that would not jump at the first chance to leave.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:46 AM
So he spent a fall as an assistant at TCU and handled administrative duties at OU...and that's comparable to coordinating defenses..

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 10:48 AM
I don't think its impossible that the guy would succeed...he may, he may not...

But reaching for these comparisons is like saying Wes Welker is a good 5'8 receiver, so lets go get some

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 10:54 AM
So he spent a fall as an assistant at TCU and handled administrative duties at OU...and that's comparable to coordinating defenses..

pimp, Terry Evans DID make the decision that OU would stay at the Hampton Inn instead of the Ramada on their road trip to Missouri some ten years ago...PLUS, they ate dinner at Golden Corral instead of Ryan's Steak House. That was HIS call!

Meanwhile, Bob Stoops was organizing a defense to stop Alabama, Florida State and help lead them to a national title.

And the Sherri Coale argument makes me want to push my head through a window.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 10:55 AM

Good for him...at least he is not completely clueless.

The guy apparently knows how to recruit and coach.

Who hired Sherri Coale? Man that one was a good hire...she didnt have any d1 experience and was able to come in here...learn and after her first few seasons we have been pretty damn good.

So now if we cannot get who we think we should then we shouldnt even give Evans a try...

It is obvious he wouldnt be able to hire a staff that would help him learn on the job. He has the coaching part down...and I think he has the recruiting down...

But whatever...I give up....everyone apparently would be very unhappy and unexcited about OU hiring Terry Evans, who has proven to be successful where ever he has been.

So bring on one of the young guns that has had a good year or two and lets see where we can go....

Oh wait, we did that.

Okay, Terry Evans is not my first choice. My first choice would never come here...so...the other coaches I thought would be great here have either signed new contracts or said no interest.

So...who do we get since everyone thinks Evans would be a total failure of a hire?

soonerborn45
4/1/2011, 10:56 AM
So your point is, if they do not have any D1 HC experience, they shouldn't be hired.

Like I said, thank god Sherri Coale had hc D-1 experience hiring her.
Thank god Stoops had D-1A HC experience before hiring him.

hmmmm.....

Different animals. Football assistants are more like head coaches than basketball assistants. Football assistants deal more one on one with players because there are so many. So in a way Stoops was already a head coach and was ready to be a real head coach.

Women's basketball is totally different. First of all the administration was really just wanting to hire a women's coach. They really didn't care at the time if she was a high school coach or not. It was a lot easier for women to make that transition than men. Also, it was 1996, the game has changed quite a bit. If you recall, it took Sherri a few years to really get going as a program and I don't think that fans or the administration are willing to wait as many years as it took Sherri.

The fact that Evans has no D1 coaching experience is what makes everyone so skeptical about him. His only D1 experience is as an low level assistant for TCU and Director of Basketball Operations at OU, which basically means nothing. If Evans had been a top assistant at a school before going to UCO I could see more in his favor but he wasn't.

kelloggOUballa
4/1/2011, 10:56 AM
our basketball fan base as a whole makes me want to push my head through a window. Just let Joe C. do his job, and as a fan get out to LNC and support the team!

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 11:10 AM
Different animals. Football assistants are more like head coaches than basketball assistants. Football assistants deal more one on one with players because there are so many. So in a way Stoops was already a head coach and was ready to be a real head coach.

Women's basketball is totally different. First of all the administration was really just wanting to hire a women's coach. They really didn't care at the time if she was a high school coach or not. It was a lot easier for women to make that transition than men. Also, it was 1996, the game has changed quite a bit. If you recall, it took Sherri a few years to really get going as a program and I don't think that fans or the administration are willing to wait as many years as it took Sherri.

The fact that Evans has no D1 coaching experience is what makes everyone so skeptical about him. His only D1 experience is as an low level assistant for TCU and Director of Basketball Operations at OU, which basically means nothing. If Evans had been a top assistant at a school before going to UCO I could see more in his favor but he wasn't.

So....Evans isnt worthy because he has no D1 HC experience or no D1 top level assistant experience.

Cool...

Lets pass him up...Maybe he can be hired by a D1 school somewhere and win there that way when we need a new coach in a few years we can hire him then.

Wow....no one takes chances anymore.

Look, my first choice was Brad Stevens...knew he would never come here, so I guess I could say dream hire instead.

I would have loved for OU to get Gillispie, but apparently he had too much baggage for Boren...So now we can get beat by him at Tech.

Next one on the list was Anderson. Well, not sure what happened...but he went to Arkansas. Great.

Next on my list was Dave Rose from BYU. He said he had no interest in any other job. cool

Next on my list was Buzz Williams. We had to wait until after he got beat in the tourney to contact him. IDK if Joe went after him, but if so, we waited too long. He signed a new contract.

Next on my list was Kruger of UNLV. He says he is not interested.

Final on my list was Terry Evans.

Now, I am in no means Joe C. Joe is the best AD in the nation IMHO. He wants the best fit. I do not know who is on his list. But the longer this takes, the more rumors that fly, the worst our program looks.

Monday will be 3 weeks without a coach, if we make it that far.

With all that stated, how many rumors from Bruce Weber to Kruger...if these rumors are true and people are either saying not interested or just using OU to posture for a better deal at their current job, that is not good.

Who will be the next coach?

As I said...Evans is not my first choice and as you can see he was actually my last choice. But based on the rumor mill, it looks like it may be our only choice at this point in time.

Granted, Joe may be working out details right now that we have no idea about....but it is very frustrating that the search is taking a lot longer than it should.

soonerborn45
4/1/2011, 11:15 AM
So....Evans isnt worthy because he has no D1 HC experience or no D1 top level assistant experience.

Cool...

Lets pass him up...Maybe he can be hired by a D1 school somewhere and win there that way when we need a new coach in a few years we can hire him then.

Wow....no one takes chances anymore.

Look, my first choice was Brad Stevens...knew he would never come here, so I guess I could say dream hire instead.

I would have loved for OU to get Gillispie, but apparently he had too much baggage for Boren...So now we can get beat by him at Tech.

Next one on the list was Anderson. Well, not sure what happened...but he went to Arkansas. Great.

Next on my list was Dave Rose from BYU. He said he had no interest in any other job. cool

Next on my list was Buzz Williams. We had to wait until after he got beat in the tourney to contact him. IDK if Joe went after him, but if so, we waited too long. He signed a new contract.

Next on my list was Kruger of UNLV. He says he is not interested.

Final on my list was Terry Evans.

Now, I am in no means Joe C. Joe is the best AD in the nation IMHO. He wants the best fit. I do not know who is on his list. But the longer this takes, the more rumors that fly, the worst our program looks.

Monday will be 3 weeks without a coach, if we make it that far.

With all that stated, how many rumors from Bruce Weber to Kruger...if these rumors are true and people are either saying not interested or just using OU to posture for a better deal at their current job, that is not good.

Who will be the next coach?

As I said...Evans is not my first choice and as you can see he was actually my last choice. But based on the rumor mill, it looks like it may be our only choice at this point in time.

Granted, Joe may be working out details right now that we have no idea about....but it is very frustrating that the search it taking a lot longer than it should.

Hey if they hire him, I have no problem with it. I was just pointing out that your argument wasn't very good using Sherri and Bob. What you said about taking a chance, that was your best argument. Why not take a chance? They took one last time with Capel and it didn't work out though is what makes people not feel so good about Evans. If Evans was in contention when Kelvin was fired I think people would have been more on board but since the last chance OU took didn't work out not many are for it. Evans is an even bigger chance because of his lack of D1 experience. I would have no problem if they hired him but if they do, it is obvious that he was a last resort.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 11:20 AM
Oh, I understand completely why people are skeptical of Evans.

Hell, I was one of the biggest haters on the hire of Capel. But I did ultimately back him until he was fired.

Anyway, I am very passionate about Evans...he hit many three pointers and last second shots in my driveway when I was in Jr High and High School.

87sooner
4/1/2011, 11:28 AM
if evans wanted the job so badly....he should have proven himself at the div 1 level....
if i worked in the mail room....i wouldn't be content there until someone offered me my dream job of being ceo.

badger
4/1/2011, 11:33 AM
if evans wanted the job so badly....he should have proven himself at the div 1 level....
if i worked in the mail room....i wouldn't be content there until someone offered me my dream job of being ceo.

sounds like you should write a musical about it or something ;)

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 11:37 AM

Yeah, he should have just bullied his way into a coaching position at the D1 level.

He took the route he thought was best for him.

Let me guess, you wouldn't be happy unless OU hired God to coach our team...right?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2011, 11:44 AM
Joe C is stalling just to increase the board traffic in the basketball forum

87sooner
4/1/2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, he should have just bullied his way into a coaching position at the D1 level.

bullied? is that how you think it's done?
how bout interview for some small div 1 schools?
if he can't convince anyone else to hire him...why should ou?

He took the route he thought was best for him.

fine....then don't expect to ever be the coach at ou...and don't whine about it.

Let me guess, you wouldn't be happy unless OU hired God to coach our team...right?

you continually tell people to comprehend your posts better....to read them more closely...yada yada yada...
try taking your own advice...
if i had a nickel for every stupid thing you've said on this board i could give it to joe c so he could hire God Himself...

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 11:52 AM
Okay 87...

What makes you think he didn't interview for some D1 jobs?

Maybe he didn't want to be just an assistant somewhere?

That or maybe he is very happy at UCO unless OU hires him?

Who knows for sure.

badger
4/1/2011, 11:59 AM
Joe C is stalling just to increase the board traffic in the basketball forum

:D

but there might be a hint of truth in your sarcasm. think he allowed the info on terry evans' interview to leak just to gauge fan reaction?

87sooner
4/1/2011, 11:59 AM
Okay 87...

What makes you think he didn't interview for some D1 jobs?

Maybe he didn't want to be just an assistant somewhere?

That or maybe he is very happy at UCO unless OU hires him?

Who knows for sure.

i don't know what he's done.
if he hasn't interviewed that's a strike against him.
if he has...and nobody would hire him...that's a strike against him.
if he didn't want to be an assistant and work his way up..that's a strike against him.
if he's happy at ocu until ou hires him....good...he'll be happy there a long time.
people that want their dream job...do what it takes to get it.
evans has done nothing to earn the hc job at ou.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 12:03 PM
evans has done nothing to earn the hc job at ou.

What, do you think OU is entitled to a coach like Bobby Knight or Dean Smith?

Tell me o'wise one...who has done enough to earn the HC job so they can bounce from it and go to a better one?

87sooner
4/1/2011, 12:10 PM
What, do you think OU is entitled to a coach like Bobby Knight or Dean Smith?

chaching.....another nickel

Tell me o'wise one...who has done enough to earn the HC job so they can bounce from it and go to a better one?

EVERY div 1 coach has done more than evans.

if evans ends up getting the job...i have no problem with it.
he may turn out to be the best hire joe has ever made...
but he has done NOTHING to make it an easy hire for an ad to make...especially an ad like joe c at a top 25 school.

The Maestro
4/1/2011, 12:11 PM
75, you showed your hand when you said Terry Evans used to play hoops in your driveway. Your heart is making you so adamant about this. Everyone else sees it is not a well-formed argument, just a buddy that you think would be really cool.

badger
4/1/2011, 12:12 PM
What, do you think OU is entitled to a coach like Bobby Knight

FACT: OU is entitled to everything and more than Texas Tech is entitled to.

:D Go ahead, admit that I'm right because you know that I am.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 12:23 PM
75, you showed your hand when you said Terry Evans used to play hoops in your driveway. Your heart is making you so adamant about this. Everyone else sees it is not a well-formed argument, just a buddy that you think would be really cool.

I told you I was very passionate about Evans...but he was not my first choice.

But as it sits right now, it seems like the only choice.

However, unlike so many here, I do not hold his inexperience of D1 against him.

Sure he would be a risk....but so is any other coach we are going after. No coach that we hire is guaranteed to turn this ship around or be great while here.

With that said, I think we should give him that chance for a few reasons.

Not one coach on the radar will be as passionate to the university or the program as he will be.

And if he is successful here, he is one of very few coaches that would not up and leave OU for a better job. To him, this is his dream job, so to me that says he would stay at OU for as long as he possibly could.

Not one coach that we are looking at can give us that type of guarantee, nor can any of those other coaches be certain of greatness here.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 12:24 PM
FACT: OU is entitled to everything and more than Texas Tech is entitled to.

:D Go ahead, admit that I'm right because you know that I am.

Well, apparently you are wrong. Apparently Tech was entitled to Knight, Moreso than us. :D

soonerborn45
4/1/2011, 12:37 PM
75 don't get me wrong, passion and heart are good things to have in a coach but they can only take you so far. I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not Evans would have to passion for the university. Everyone is questioning whether or not to take a chance on another coach that has not proven himself at the D1 level. I think Evans would do a great job but when hiring, you have to take in all counts and the fact that Evans highest level of head coaching experience is D2 is going to play a big part in it whether you like it or not.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 12:49 PM
75 don't get me wrong, passion and heart are good things to have in a coach but they can only take you so far. I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not Evans would have to passion for the university. Everyone is questioning whether or not to take a chance on another coach that has not proven himself at the D1 level. I think Evans would do a great job but when hiring, you have to take in all counts and the fact that Evans highest level of head coaching experience is D2 is going to play a big part in it whether you like it or not.

So if all rumors are true and everyone is saying not interested and or just using OU to get a raise from their current job, you just keep plugging away until you have no one left to offer?

At some point you have to pull the trigger. Granted I do not have a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes. But when is the last time you seen so many rumors and so many days go by without a true front candidate to come out?

Terry Evans definitely has some draw backs. But there is not one coach that we have heard that doesn't. Evans' biggest is just that he has no D1 HC experience.

Sorry, that my passion for the guy has clouded some judgements...but I am sticking with Evans. I am still going to think he would be a very good hire for our program.

Most fans want a coach that they can get excited about. With Buzz signing an extension, with Stevens never being in the picture, with Pastner staying in Memphis, there are really no other coaches that the fans really seem excited about (at least that have been rumored as a candidate).

Weber never excited me. I think he would be a terrible hire.
Marshall? From what I hear he is a grade A A$$hole.
Kruger, unless it is a smoke screen, says he his not interested in any other jobs.
Rose, says he is staying at BYU.
Gillispie hired at Tech
Anderson, Hired at Arkansas.

Who else? Evans & Robinson & Franchella (Sp?)

Robinson, I have heard he is a dikhead and grade a A$$hole.

So who do we have left? Who is the OU administration looking for?

Like I said, if rumors are true, we really have only one option left and that is Evans.

And like I also said, Evans may have been a childhood hero, but he was not my first choice either.

Quik Sand
4/1/2011, 12:59 PM
Not an attack on you 75, but I am not sure why the coach being not friendly disqualifies them from serious consideration. Maybe you are not saying that, but I could care less if the coach is a prick if he wins and employs an entertaining style of basketball (of course while running a clean ship). Might be in the minority on that, but so be it.

soonerborn45
4/1/2011, 01:02 PM
Terry Evans definitely has some draw backs. But there is not one coach that we have heard that doesn't. Evans' biggest is just that he has no D1 HC experience.

This right here is the biggest reason.

You keep pointing to rumors, they're just that, rumors. No one knows who is on the list of candidates. Guys like Mark Rogers and Carey Murdock can come out and say all the want but the fact is no one knows who are the candidates at this point. For all we know, Joe is talking to Phil Jackson's assistant coach as possible HC at OU. I understand your passion for Terry Evans and if he is your choice, great. A top notch assistant from the NBA would excite the fans too. Just because the so called "world wide leader" said that Buzz and Pastner were candidates doesn't mean much because everyone knew that those guys would at least get a phone call. At the end of the day nobody but Joe and maybe two or three other guys know who is on the list right now.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 01:25 PM
Not an attack on you 75, but I am not sure why the coach being not friendly disqualifies them from serious consideration. Maybe you are not saying that, but I could care less if the coach is a prick if he wins and employs an entertaining style of basketball (of course while running a clean ship). Might be in the minority on that, but so be it.

To be honest with you neither do I, but we don't want some bad apple that runs the media, high schoo coaches, aau coaches, and fans off with his attitude either.

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 01:26 PM
This right here is the biggest reason.

You keep pointing to rumors, they're just that, rumors. No one knows who is on the list of candidates. Guys like Mark Rogers and Carey Murdock can come out and say all the want but the fact is no one knows who are the candidates at this point. For all we know, Joe is talking to Phil Jackson's assistant coach as possible HC at OU. I understand your passion for Terry Evans and if he is your choice, great. A top notch assistant from the NBA would excite the fans too. Just because the so called "world wide leader" said that Buzz and Pastner were candidates doesn't mean much because everyone knew that those guys would at least get a phone call. At the end of the day nobody but Joe and maybe two or three other guys know who is on the list right now.

And apparently one of my rumor guys...which I also said, "unless it is just a smoke screen, he is not interested" is taking the job.

He also happens to be one that I had above Terry Evans. :cool:

I can live with Kruger as our next coach!

badger
4/1/2011, 01:42 PM
Well, apparently you are wrong. Apparently Tech was entitled to Knight, Moreso than us. :D

Fiiiiine, but at least we weren't subjected to Pat Knight afterward... or that infamous Red Raider Rash :eek:

OU_Sooners75
4/1/2011, 01:50 PM
Fiiiiine, but at least we weren't subjected to Pat Knight afterward... or that infamous Red Raider Rash :eek:

Thank god!!!
Ill give ya spek for that!:)