PDA

View Full Version : So, I hear Bruce Weber ...

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 09:58 PM
..."has now emerged a viable coaching candidate."

A well-placed college basketball source told the Norman Transcript on Wednesday night that Illinois coach Bruce Weber has emerged as a viable candidate and there appears to be mutual interest.

Weber, who has been at Illinois the last eight seasons and led the Illini to the national championship game in 2005 and the NCAA Tournament in six of his eight seasons, appears to have some reasons to find OU attractive.

The Illini went 20-14 this past season and reached the NCAA Tournament as a No. 9 seed, reaching the second round. Earlier in the season, Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther actually issued a statement supporting Weber’s future at Illinois when it looked like it might miss the NCAA Tournament for the third time in four years.

Illinois will also have to replace four senior starters next season.

Another factor that could make OU very attractive to Weber is that Guenther’s contract expires at the end of June. If it’s not renewed, Weber’s seat at Illinois could get very hot under a new athletic director.

But Weber does have a history of winning conference championships in a power conference. The Illini won Big Ten titles in Weber’s first two seasons after taking over when Bill Self went to Kansas.Take this for what it is worth.
Soonerscoop.com (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=28&tid=143587917&mid=143587917&sid=895&style=2)

Would this be a good hire? It seems he has not been that great for Illinois since Bill Self's classes have not been there.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 10:00 PM
oops...wrong board...dean or anybody move this for me...sorry.

agoo758
3/30/2011, 10:07 PM
It's all good. Gives Basketball info for people like me who only check out the football forums. :D

Quik Sand
3/30/2011, 10:18 PM
He has a clean background as far as I know, but his recruiting is not stellar. Not sure he has made a deep run in the tournament since Bill Self's players left.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 10:24 PM
He has a clean background as far as I know, but his recruiting is not stellar. Not sure he has made a deep run in the tournament since Bill Self's players left.

My thoughts exactly...but at least here at OU he should have a better recruiting ground thanks to Texas. Not really sure about him IMHO though.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 11:02 PM
Weber, who has been at Illinois the last eight seasons and led the Illini to the national championship game in 2005 and the NCAA Tournament in six of his eight seasons, appears to have some reasons to find OU attractive.

The Illini went 20-14 this past season

That's 1.

and reached the NCAA Tournament as a No. 9 seed, reaching the second round.

That's 2.

Earlier in the season, Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther actually issued a statement supporting Weber’s future at Illinois when it looked like it might miss the NCAA Tournament for the third time in four years.

That's 3.

Illinois will also have to replace four senior starters next season.

That's 4.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 11:07 PM
That's 1.

That's 2.

That's 3.

That's 4.

:confused:

Quik Sand
3/30/2011, 11:10 PM
Think Lizard was showing some reasons why Weber would be interested in OU potentially

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 11:17 PM
Think Lizard was showing some reasons why Weber would be interested in OU potentially

Kind of what I was really thinking...but wasn't sure.

Weber started out good at Illinois but has sense been down a little. Only one tourney appearance once in the last 3 years kind of worries me though.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 11:33 PM
Kind of what I was really thinking...but wasn't sure.

Weber started out good at Illinois but has sense been down a little. Only one tourney appearance once in the last 3 years kind of worries me though.

That's 5.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 11:42 PM
It's really better he posts with numbers as words aren't exactly his best way to communicate.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 11:44 PM
That's 5.

:bsmf:

Leroy Lizard
3/31/2011, 12:08 AM
It's really better he posts with numbers as words aren't exactly his best way to communicate.

Uh-oh, it looks like StoopTroup's little problem has erupted again.

http://www.99perfume.com/image/obsession_m.jpg

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:13 AM
@DRoan Dan Roan

word out of Champaign, Ill coach Weber talking to Oklahoma, if he leaves, he's going soon...
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

@DeanBlevins

I was told ystrdy morn OU was hoping/planning 4 Fri press conf 2 name new coach. After striking out w/Buzz, appears 2 b BruceWeber, Illinois
21 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?p=1415465&posted=1#post1415465

SoonerMom2
3/31/2011, 12:38 AM
When did Mike Baldwin become the OU basketball reporter? Looks like this blows his basketball story about us not getting a coach out of water.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:40 AM
Hey Mom....could you please post that link again?

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:45 AM
hmmmmm....cover or truth?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-report-oklahoma-targeting-illinis-weber-20110330,0,4884881.story

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:51 AM
http://www.illinihq.com/blogs/basketblog/2011/03/30/oklahoma_with_interest_in_bruce_weber

yankee
3/31/2011, 12:52 AM
I've heard so many damn rumors about who our next coach is going to be, that I don't even care anymore until it's announced officially from someone within the University, specifically Joe C. I've gotten my hopes dashed one too many times. FWIW, I think Weber would be a good hire.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:56 AM
You and me both....if all these rumors are true and no one wants to come here...it makes our program look really bad.

I just hope that Blevins is right for the first time in a long time about this...If it is not Weber, I hope we have a conference naming a coach Friday....but I am not going to be holding my breath.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:56 AM
Well...for the first time ever...I have put someone on ignore. :eek:

Blue
3/31/2011, 01:12 AM
So we're getting another coach a contract extension? Cool.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:21 AM
So we're getting another coach a contract extension? Cool.

I wouldnt necessarily say that.

The Illinois AD's current contract is up in June. There is no guarantee he is going to be retained.

If he isn't then Bruce Weber's Job is not guaranteed either.

So...I doubt they will be re-working a new contract with Weber until they decide what they are going to do with their current AD.

If tomorrow Illinois give the AD a new contract, then yeah, I think Weber stays.

With all that said...I am not holding my breath for this...if it happens great if not, oh well...maybe we should go after a coach we know that is at a school that cannot outbid us! (UCO) :)

101sooner
3/31/2011, 06:13 AM
Well...for the first time ever...I have put someone on ignore. :eek:

Me too. Man this is SO much better.

bornnbredou
3/31/2011, 07:54 AM
Wow, theres a lot of buzz here in Illinois. Im at Southern Illinois right now and have been living in central illinois for the last 6 years, and the fans here are ecstatic at the possibility of him leaving for OU. Thats not a good sign. The guy has not one a single thing since Bill Selfs players all graduated or left for the draft. On paper this would be a terrible hire, thats not saying that he couldnt turn things around here, but wow this just doesnt seem right.

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:21 PM
Wow, theres a lot of buzz here in Illinois. Im at Southern Illinois right now and have been living in central illinois for the last 6 years, and the fans here are ecstatic at the possibility of him leaving for OU. Thats not a good sign. The guy has not one a single thing since Bill Selfs players all graduated or left for the draft. On paper this would be a terrible hire, thats not saying that he couldnt turn things around here, but wow this just doesnt seem right.

It is always harder to maintain the greatness when a great coach leaves.

Soonerjeepman
3/31/2011, 12:32 PM
..."has now emerged a viable coaching candidate."

Would this be a good hire? It seems he has not been that great for Illinois since Bill Self's classes have not been there.

BINGO! he won with Self's guys....I'd rather have Terry Evans..

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:44 PM
BINGO! he won with Self's guys....I'd rather have Terry Evans..

Maybe...but like I also said, it is hard to maintain a level of play and intensity with coaching changes.

It is kind of like OU going from Switzer to Gibbs to Mr. Bourbon, to Blake...then we finally got Stoops. After Stoops, most likely we will see a slight decline...hopefully nothing like after Switzer though.

I think Weber could be a fine hire, he has only missed the NCAA tourney 2 times at Illinois.

But I would also much rather have Evans...I think Evans should have been shown the check a long time ago....but that is just me.

Fraggle145
3/31/2011, 12:46 PM

Before he got the job at Illinois I thought he made the Salukis the program they are today. He was a regular in the tourney with them.

OULenexaman
3/31/2011, 12:54 PM
me no want Weber...I grew sick of listening to this guy in Chicago.

soonercoop1
3/31/2011, 04:05 PM

^This...