PDA

View Full Version : Coming Home Bitches!!

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 03:02 PM
Today is my last day working up here in DC. I'm heading home tomorrow, and hopefully won't be coming back up for business ever again.

In addition, the company has given me an offer I cannot refuse, and I will be officially retiring on May 31st of this year. It hasn't really sunk in yet, after 36+ years of working for one company, I've got exactly 2 months left as of tomorrow. I cannot tell you how excited I am to be able to work the farm full-time now.

Anyhow, I guess this means I'm finally going to have to think about buying a cell phone and maybe even a computer. I have to get a phone, but no so much on the computer. If I don't buy one, my days on here will be over on May 31 as well as we don't really have good innerwebs out where I live.

Anyhow, just sharing my happiness, and my apprehension with y'all. Pretty weird feeling...

olevetonahill
3/30/2011, 03:08 PM
Grats to you bro Im proud for you

Ya will be getting the Satilite innerwebs just like me :D

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 03:08 PM
Grats to you bro Im proud for you

Ya will be getting the Satilite innerwebs just like me :D

I ain't got your kinda scratch Howie. I can't afford all them niceties.

olevetonahill
3/30/2011, 03:13 PM
I ain't got your kinda scratch Howie. I can't afford all them niceties.

Sheat, You could buy and sell me. :cool:
Plus if ya think about it theres so much You can do on the internet that you normally have to take time to GO and do it .
Need to pay a bill? Click a button . need to check your Bank balance ? click a button , Need to see some Pron ? Click a button
You wont be away long :D

Boomer.....
3/30/2011, 03:14 PM
Satellite interwebs, tankless waterheaters, hot tubs, etc.

Vet's got it made!

:D

The Profit
3/30/2011, 03:14 PM
Congrats. Retirement sounds like a good thing about now. Sat/Internet prices are going down. Wow, 36 years at the same company. While it once was the norm, that is just unheard of anymore.

Lott's Bandana
3/30/2011, 03:15 PM
So now you can sit with me and Momma at Abners?

Welcome home, Bro.

yermom
that's pretty crazy Dean.

now who am i supposed to give crap about my crappy mail service :(

saucysoonergal
Congrats Dean!!!

Mongo
3/30/2011, 03:16 PM
"work on the farm full time" is code for chronic masturbating due to boredom

Boomer.....
So you're saying that this summer the mail will start arriving on time?

olevetonahill
Satellite interwebs, tankless waterheaters, hot tubs, etc.

Vet's got it made!

Yea But I miss the chickens :(

yermom
3/30/2011, 03:17 PM
Sheat, You could buy and sell me. :cool:
Plus if ya think about it theres so much You can do on the internet that you normally have to take time to GO and do it .
Need to pay a bill? Click a button . need to check your Bank balance ? click a button , Need to see some Pron ? Click a button
You wont be away long :D

thus the offer he can't refuse :eek:

3rdgensooner
3/30/2011, 03:17 PM
Cool, you'll have time to write that spy novel.

ouduckhunter
3/30/2011, 03:22 PM
Wow!! That's great! Congratulations to you!!

sappstuf
3/30/2011, 03:23 PM
Today is my last day working up here in DC. I'm heading home tomorrow, and hopefully won't be coming back up for business ever again.

In addition, the company has given me an offer I cannot refuse, and I will be officially retiring on May 31st of this year. It hasn't really sunk in yet, after 36+ years of working for one company, I've got exactly 2 months left as of tomorrow. I cannot tell you how excited I am to be able to work the farm full-time now.

Anyhow, I guess this means I'm finally going to have to think about buying a cell phone and maybe even a computer. I have to get a phone, but no so much on the computer. If I don't buy one, my days on here will be over on May 31 as well as we don't really have good innerwebs out where I live.

Anyhow, just sharing my happiness, and my apprehension with y'all. Pretty weird feeling...

Nice work. Please let us know the last day you ride the yellow line....

sooneron
3/30/2011, 03:24 PM
Congrats Dean. Happy Trails...

maybe?

NormanPride
3/30/2011, 03:28 PM
Awesome. Can we have a retirement party at your place? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
3/30/2011, 03:33 PM
congrats big boy....and condolences to Mrs.Dean

SanJoaquinSooner
3/30/2011, 03:35 PM
Top ten ways Dean can stay on the internet.

10. Do a few more acres of alfalfa.

9. Have Momma self-publish a cookbook on Amazon.com.

8. Have vet do a paypal dealio for you.

7. Sell bowls of chili at the tailgates, with a tip jar to boot.

6. Hires some Mexicans for farm work to increase your productivity and your profit margin.

5. Buy $70,000 tractors less often.

olevetonahill
3/30/2011, 03:38 PM

6. Hires some Mexicans for farm work to increase your productivity and your profit margin.

1 have jaun smuggle the messicans in for him :rolleyes:

sooner_born_1960
3/30/2011, 03:43 PM
Congratulations, old man.

OUHOMER
3/30/2011, 03:49 PM
Congrates Dean.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 03:52 PM

Wonder what happened to Cuatro, Tres, Dos and UNO?

Stupid *** can't count to ten I guess....

THE-JROD
3/30/2011, 03:59 PM
Good for you Dean!!! Glad to see you spent all them years with one company. Definitely doesnt happen very often. Might as well get ya a puter tho so you can stay on here and talk "Harry Potty" with the rest of the lovers!! ;):D

proud gonzo
3/30/2011, 04:16 PM
awesome, dean!

IB4OU2
3/30/2011, 04:21 PM
You retiring? You aren't that old. More time for farming, hunting, tailgate and chasing Momma around the house. Congratulations!

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, it's pretty ****ing awesome. I just rode to the apartment on the yellow line, and I will take either it or the blue line tomorrow morning to Reagan and jump the flight at 7:10am. Quite possibly my last ever excursion on the Metro (although before I left they're already going "can you come up a couple more times and help us with this project?" I might do it for the miles and hotel points, but I'm only flying on Monday, home on Friday, work T-W-TH. If they don't like it? I'll tell em' **** up a rope, Big Daddy is goin' home!

I've already called a couple of my big hay jobs and they're like "cool, now we can count on getting all the hay up, and getting it up right." The past several years I could only do so much on nights/weekends. Now I will work M-F like normal folk (albeit much longer hours than normal folk), and take the weekend off with momma - instead of putting her little butt on a tractor all night/all weekend. I've even already hired a hand to replace her out there. She's about as happy as I am...

Jammin'
3/30/2011, 04:31 PM
Congrat's Dean.

I'm going to burn this place down on June 1st.

enjoy retirement.

P.S. one of the above statements is false.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, it's pretty ****ing awesome. I just rode to the apartment on the yellow line, and I will take either it or the blue line tomorrow morning to Reagan and jump the flight at 7:10am. Quite possibly my last ever excursion on the Metro (although before I left they're already going "can you come up a couple more times and help us with this project?" I might do it for the miles and hotel points, but I'm only flying on Monday, home on Friday, work T-W-TH. If they don't like it? I'll tell em' **** up a rope, Big Daddy is goin' home!

I've already called a couple of my big hay jobs and they're like "cool, now we can count on getting all the hay up, and getting it up right." The past several years I could only do so much on nights/weekends. Now I will work M-F like normal folk (albeit much longer hours than normal folk), and take the weekend off with momma - instead of putting her little butt on a tractor all night/all weekend. I've even already hired a hand to replace her out there. She's about as happy as I am...

That's awesome Bro.

Now you can treat her the way she was accustomed. :D ;)

http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/images/Anim_Homepage.gif

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 04:41 PM
nah nah nah nah nah Times Square,

nah nah nah nah nah Fresh Air!, you are my wife!

goodbye city life!...Green Acres we are there...

Oh yeah..

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 04:41 PM

OULenexaman
3/30/2011, 04:56 PM
Movin to Montana soon......gonna be a dental floss tycoon....

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 05:13 PM
Never was a Zappa fan...except the Mothers of Invention stuff. Live at the Fillmore? Oh yeah... Mud sha sha sha shaaaark...

AlbqSooner
3/30/2011, 06:51 PM
Congrats Dean. You earned it.

OUSophie
3/30/2011, 08:55 PM
Congrats, can't wait unitl it is my time to retire.

Fraggle145
3/30/2011, 08:59 PM
Congrats Dean.

Chuck Bao
3/30/2011, 09:48 PM
That's great news, Dean. Congrats on being able to do what you love. You have earned it.

But I suspect that you will get bored after a while. A consultancy gig, like you mentioned, may be good way to ease into retirement on your own terms.

BTW, if you need any help, I will volunteer since I may also be retiring soon. I work cheap and can drive almost any tractor or farm equipment.

No, I take that back. I was never any good at driving a combine. Because of my poor eyesight and depth perception, I would occasionally run the header into the ground or run it so high that I missed some of the grain.

OUthunder
3/30/2011, 10:39 PM
Congrats Dean. Does this mean you'll be posting and drinking more?

OUthunder
3/30/2011, 10:57 PM
That's awesome Bro.

Now you can treat her the way she was accustomed. :D ;)

http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/images/Anim_Homepage.gif

Whet
3/30/2011, 11:34 PM
Get that computer and cellphone before you retire. Take advantage of those discounts.

Okla-homey
3/31/2011, 06:18 AM
Congratulations Dean-o. srsly.

As you know, I retired from my first gig in 2005. But I had to find something else to do because its pretty boring to have no reason to wake-up early on weekday mornings.

I predict you'll find something to do, at least a few days a week.

Soonerwake
3/31/2011, 07:53 AM
Get that computer and cellphone before you retire. Take advantage of those discounts.

Your phone will have to be bull-proof..

Congrats Dean. And it only took 36 years, huh?? :D

Sooner_Bob
3/31/2011, 08:02 AM
Congrats Dean.

I'm almost to the point where I can't wait to tell this place to shove it.

tcrb
3/31/2011, 08:12 AM
Congrats. It's nice to see that some people can still "live the dream".

Oldnslo
3/31/2011, 10:48 AM
Good for you, Dean! Congratulations!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 10:48 AM
im glad for dean to get his own phone so i can send him these pics i have

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/31/2011, 10:53 AM
Congratulations Dean-o. srsly.

As you know, I retired from my first gig in 2005. But I had to find something else to do because its pretty boring to have no reason to wake-up early on weekday mornings.

I predict you'll find something to do, at least a few days a week.

Homey, you never worked on a farm did you. I suspect dean will stay as busy as he wants. :)

soonerchk
3/31/2011, 11:09 AM
Congrats! Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!

Okla-homey
3/31/2011, 03:23 PM
Homey, you never worked on a farm did you. I suspect dean will stay as busy as he wants. :)

WTF is there to do on a farm in January?

soonercruiser
3/31/2011, 03:42 PM

Keep the cows and sheep warm?

opksooner
3/31/2011, 03:52 PM
Congratulations, Dean. Welcome to the world of sloth and inactivity.

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/31/2011, 05:01 PM

Pfft. City boy.

Feed the cattle, horses, pigs, etc. Depending on how cold the january is, make sure they can get to water.

Usually winter/spring is when most of the calves are born. Nothing like pulling a calf in 15 degree weather.

Then there's the mess involved with doctoring the sick ones

Fix fence, barns, tractors (year round tasks).

If you're industrious, theres a lot more jobs to do than time to do them.

EDIT: That doesnt even account for the business side of things.

olevetonahill
3/31/2011, 05:16 PM
But Dean sold off all his cattle, But I bet he gets that 42 miles of fence fixed that the last ice storm tore up;)

StoopTroup
3/31/2011, 05:31 PM
HAD SOME BOOMERQ TODAY IN HONOR OF THE DEAN'S FREEJACK.

C&CDean
3/31/2011, 05:37 PM
Bad news/good news...

Good news, I'm home. Yay!!

Bad news, I don't think I'm going to retire after all. Momma and I just sat down and ran some numbers based on a spreadsheet we received in the mail today. There were a couple small details that were left out of my conversation yesterday with the HR folks (dumbasses). Things having to do with insurance/savings plans/survivor bennies/etc.

Bottom line, I probably ain't gonna take their sweet deal. Sure, I get a big chunk up front (that I will be taxed to death on), and yes, we could get by, but if I stay just another 16-months, it will make a >$1500 per month increase in my take home. That's damn near a tractor payment. Also, if I retire, my additional savings plan that I have will basically be frozen - meaning I can't add any more to it. If I keep working, I can add the max of $15K per year.

Talk about going from ecstatic to depressed in about an hour or so...

Anyhow, at least I'm home, and I'm planning on staying home. I may still take the deal, but it's not looking like it. ****.

I'll prolly delete this thread later tonight - after mucho drinko.

olevetonahill
3/31/2011, 05:40 PM
Got any OVJ left?

swardboy
3/31/2011, 06:41 PM
Buy a business with the buyout. Best place to put your money.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/31/2011, 07:48 PM
Glad you came to your senses. Retiring at 53 is ridiculous, just as you're leaving adolescence. You're just 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter, as Barry might say.

SoonerKnight
3/31/2011, 07:53 PM
Not that expensive Dean:

http://consumer.hughesnet.com/plans.cfm

btb916
3/31/2011, 11:42 PM

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see you might not be able to retire after all. Hopin' for the best for you.

The Profit
3/31/2011, 11:44 PM
Congrats on a long career, and I hope you enjoy your retirement.

The latest post from Dean says that he is un-retired for at least 18 more months, but he is still drinking on it.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/31/2011, 11:56 PM
The latest post from Dean says that he is un-retired for at least 18 more months, but he is still drinking on it.

Just one night at home and he gots Potomac fever.

yermom
4/1/2011, 12:51 AM
sucks Dean. it would be tough to pass up $1500 extra a month forever for working an extra 16 months. not to mention, you know, making your salary :D

Blue
4/1/2011, 01:23 AM
Raises glass to Dean not being on Soonerfans 24/7 with a home computer and access to youtube vids and a million gifs. ;)

Mjcpr
4/1/2011, 08:52 AM
Retire anyway and supplement your income by starting a message board and charging for sponsorships!

Jammin'
4/1/2011, 09:20 AM
Dean let us know your decision. I've been working on how to burn this place down on June 1st and if it's going to be another 16 months I can move my efforts back to killing the OW instead.

TIA.

dynersooner
4/1/2011, 10:21 AM
Was this ever resolved?

edit:

Dean let us know your decision. I've been working on how to burn this place down on June 1st and if it's going to be another 16 months I can move my efforts back to killing the OW instead.

TIA.

was this ever resolved???

Jammin'
4/1/2011, 11:18 AM
Was this ever resolved?

edit:

was this ever resolved???

I'm a slow mover, so sue me. (and use champ as the lead attorney to lessen the odds of anything bad actually happening to me)

Ctina
4/1/2011, 05:23 PM

TIA.

Pfft.. Like the OW needs help dying. There's only 10 of us left.

SoCaliSooner
4/1/2011, 05:24 PM
Pfft.. Like the OW needs help dying. There's only 10 of us left.

But you can get 18 pages on a thread if you rally around a cause...

Sooner24
4/19/2011, 09:48 AM
I was really excited for you Dean until I got to your "I may not retire" post and felt pretty bad for you. I just completed my 35th year with AT&T last month and I'm probably gonna be out the door in the next year or so.