PDA

View Full Version : Man v. Food in Tulsa

badger
3/30/2011, 02:34 PM
The challenge: To eat an entire large Incinerator in one hour, without leaving the table and without anything to drink. The Incinerator is covered with wasabi red sauce, sliced hot links, pepperoni, salami, ham, crushed black pepper, diced jalapenos, sliced habaneros and a ghost pepper Sriracha swirl.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=275&articleid=20110330_371_0_AdamRi693701)

Joe Momma's is a really cool downtown Tulsa pizza place. I have never had the incinerator, but if I did, I'd probably want something to drink :eek:

texaspokieokie
3/30/2011, 02:38 PM
sounds like way too much for me.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 02:41 PM
Sounds like...lunch?

Momma's brother used to own a pizza joint up in Iowa, and the first time I went in there they didn't even have jalapenos. After a couple visits, they created a pizza that I designed called the "dragon slayer." It wasn't really all that bad though. Pepperoni, italian sausage, canadian bacon, mushrooms, jalapenos, habaneros (which were damned hard to find in Iowa), and crushed red pepper. Good stuff.

yermom
3/30/2011, 02:44 PM
habaneros kinda separate the men from the boys

olevetonahill
3/30/2011, 02:45 PM
I dont understand The desire to eat anything so dyaum hot it makes you suffer :rolleyes:
I dont mind Hot but there has to be flavor and the heat has to bring taste and pleasure to the meal.

texaspokieokie
3/30/2011, 02:46 PM
I dont understand The desire to eat anything so dyaum hot it makes you suffer :rolleyes:
I dont mind Hot but there has to be flavor and the heat has to bring taste and pleasure to the meal.

Rite-on !!!!

Fraggle145
3/30/2011, 02:49 PM

puss. :P

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 02:51 PM

Eyes watering, sweating, and snotting ain't suffering. That's enjoying.

I will say that when your ears start to ring, and you start having involuntary throat/gag spasms and feel like you can't breath, it might be a tad too much.

yermom
3/30/2011, 02:52 PM

the trick is skating the edge :D

sappstuf
3/30/2011, 02:58 PM
habaneros kinda separate the men from the boys

Yes, then the Ghost Pepper finishes the job..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3p60YR_JmX8/TMMCAolm_dI/AAAAAAAAAA0/zMK1WAJiQ38/s1600/FaceMelt.gif

NormanPride
3/30/2011, 02:58 PM
I've had three bites of that pizza and it was enough to set my mouth on fire like nothing I've ever had. No flavor, just pain.

And I want to see this.

olevetonahill
3/30/2011, 03:04 PM
Dont get me wrong I like the hot stuff But when the Hot overwhelms the Taste , then ya mights well just go ahead and eat ya a crushed glass sammich :rolleyes:

yermom
3/30/2011, 03:10 PM
well, you ease in. i mean i probably can't handle that pizza, but what i think is pleasantly hot might kill someone not accustomed to heat like i am

KantoSooner
3/30/2011, 03:16 PM
Point of no return: when you start to feel like your teeth roots are tickling.

Seriously, you can get a substance called oleoresin capsicum (basically the 'heat' essence of pod peppers extracted and concentrated) in Scoville Heat Units (SHU) up to 5 million commercially. They will literally eat through human skin and dissolve flesh and bone. Nice stuff. 1 oz heats up 40,000 gallon vats of soups and stews in factories. Soooo, if we want a nice HOT chili for a tail gate, I'll be happy to bring some pure, tasteless heat with me.

boomersooner001
3/30/2011, 03:25 PM
Wonder what his health status will be like in the next 10 years or so??????? He eats some crap.

NormanPride
3/30/2011, 03:30 PM
http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/capsaicin.gif

badger
3/30/2011, 04:08 PM
They might actually be doing a Tulsa episode based on the reports I've heard lately of them being around town. Here (http://newsok.com/trooper-of-the-year-named-by-oklahoma-highway-patrol/article/3553897?custom_click=headlines_widget)'s another.

At the Spudder, Richman tasted three dishes: the Gusher special, a bone-in prime rib; the porterhouse; and the pork tenderloin.

Richman and the crew were at Elote, 514 S. Boston Ave., on Wednesday to tape an episode featuring a puffy taco challenge.

He was also at Ann's Bakery, but no word on what they did there.

I am not a foodie... I don't think I've been to any of these places. We might have to go now, though :D

rekamrettuB
3/30/2011, 04:11 PM
I'm a wuss when it comes to spicy foods. I don't think it's enjoyable to not be able to taste my food because my tongue is numb.

NormanPride
3/30/2011, 04:13 PM
Elote's puffy tacos are good, but nothing compared to the ones at Los Barrios in San Antonio.

And baj, I'm almost positive we have been to Elote. It was just past the Atlas Grille down Boston. It was a while back though.

IB4OU2
3/30/2011, 04:24 PM
Adam Richmans gonna die an early death.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 04:37 PM
I'm a wuss.

I've heard that about you...

Hot food is like anything else. You have to learn to eat it. Once you do, it's just a whole other level of enjoyment. It's not a lot different than developing a taste for scotch or tequila (both of which taste like *** but a whole lot of people like them).

Or on even simpler terms, it's like running a marathon. If you wanna run a race, you don't start with a marathon. You train, run a couple 5Ks, then some 10Ks, keep training, do a half-marathon a few times, then finally do the whole thing.

Some people just don't have what it takes to do it. Same goes with food. The people that don't like hot **** are like couch potatos. They're comfy with their bag of plain chips and Oprah on the tube - or they're happy with their bag of plain chips and Oprah on the tube...

Mongo
3/30/2011, 04:55 PM
this show is going to kill that dude. the weight he has gained and ring sting he endures after spicy challenges is shortening his life.

Mjcpr
3/30/2011, 05:05 PM
this show is going to kill that dude. the weight he has gained and ring sting he endures after spicy challenges is shortening his life.

Is there anything about the anus that you don't know?

Mongo
3/30/2011, 05:15 PM
Is there anything about the anus that you don't know?

I am an uncertified *** doctor.

I noticed you had a funny looking mole next to your sphincter. You should see a professional.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 05:17 PM
"ring sting??"

There's only one way you could ever even hear of such a thing. On the fag channel. Dude, NTTAWWT, but c'mon, you're scaring the children.

Mongo
3/30/2011, 05:18 PM
My god I hate you

yermom
3/30/2011, 08:06 PM
They might actually be doing a Tulsa episode based on the reports I've heard lately of them being around town. Here (http://newsok.com/trooper-of-the-year-named-by-oklahoma-highway-patrol/article/3553897?custom_click=headlines_widget)'s another.

He was also at Ann's Bakery, but no word on what they did there.

I am not a foodie... I don't think I've been to any of these places. We might have to go now, though :D

i drive by Ann's Bakery all the time when i'm in Tulsa. i never knew it was actually open for a long time. still never been there.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 08:10 PM
i drive by Ann's Bakery all the time when i'm in Tulsa. i never knew it was actually open for a long time. still never been there.

They are nice folks. The fire almost did them in.

Stop in there sometime.

Soonerchaz
3/31/2011, 01:27 AM
Richman and the crew were at Elote, 514 S. Boston Ave., on Wednesday to tape an episode featuring a puffy taco challenge.

Not sure why they wasted the effort for a food challenge at Elote. The puffy tacos are about the only thing worth a crap there. I can appreciate that they use local grown veggies/chicken/beef and organic and all...but most dishes are severely lacking in the taste department.

hawaii 5-0
3/31/2011, 02:21 AM
I really enjoy eating but when my tastebuds are burned out it's not enjoyable anymore.

I like a little spice/zing but I'm a lightweight.

I don't play that Macho Game anymore.

5-0

OUmillenium
3/31/2011, 08:44 AM
puss. :P

This.

Just kidding. Eating hot stuff is sort of an acquired taste. When I was a kid, I didn't like peppers or hot stuff. After 4 years of courtship and 10 years of marriage to a cajun, I now eat really hot stuff and consider to have "good flavor". For instance, I have not had the Blazin wings at BWW in a while and mile mouth started watering just thinking about it. Same with a good Cajun boil. When I host a boil, I have to go easy on the heat so regular eaters can enjoy their food and not fight the fire so much.

texaspokieokie
3/31/2011, 08:55 AM
wish i were in Tulsa to enjoy all these places.

OUmillenium
3/31/2011, 09:11 AM
Not sure why they wasted the effort for a food challenge at Elote. The puffy tacos are about the only thing worth a crap there. I can appreciate that they use local grown veggies/chicken/beef and organic and all...but most dishes are severely lacking in the taste department.

Elotes is all about their "Green" liberal pansy approach to everything. ManvFood chose not to use their Elote footage, if any exists, for the TV show.

Having said that, I am ready for some sweet lucha libre matches so will be headed to Elotes soon when Baseball season slows a bit.

Mongo
3/31/2011, 09:17 AM
Elotes is all about their "Green" liberal pansy approach to everything. ManvFood chose not to use their Elote footage, if any exists, for the TV show.

Having said that, I am ready for some sweet lucha libre matches so will be headed to Elotes soon when Baseball season slows a bit.

so......

okc catfish>>> tulsa crap?

badger
3/31/2011, 12:15 PM
They were apparently at Bill's today.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=275&articleid=20110331_371_0_Afilmc656914)

soonerchk
3/31/2011, 12:19 PM
Adam doesn't even do the food challenges anymore. Wuss.

Go to Ann's Bakery, it's worth the trip.

My Opinion Matters
4/1/2011, 05:26 PM
I thought I saw a fat Fred Savage around town today.

mgsooner
4/1/2011, 07:59 PM
Joe Momma's is the real deal

tator
4/1/2011, 08:31 PM
I love and accept all puffy tacos

Mjcpr
4/1/2011, 08:35 PM
I love and accept all puffy tacos

Perv.

C&CDean
4/2/2011, 08:24 AM
ok, wtf is a "puffy taco?"

mgsooner
4/2/2011, 11:46 AM
What are Puffy Tacos?
Puffy tacos are a delectable Tex-Mex treat. Imagine a typical taco, but in a crunchy yet light, airy and flaky "puffed up" shell. Fill it with anything you want, whether that's the typical Tex-Mex taco filling (picadillo, diced tomato, lettuce, cheese) or something more idiosyncratic.

Where Did Puffy Tacos Originate?
Puffy tacos are generally believed to have originated in the Tex-Mex joints of Texas. The most commonly accepted origin story is that they were invented at a San Antonio establishment called Henry's Puffy Tacos in 1978. Henry's is still around, and its Website proclaims it "home of the original puffy tacos."

There are some who claim that puffy tacos were being made in Austin in the 1950s, but under a different name. And there is a Los Angeles Times article from 1975 that refers to a "Guadalajera Taco" served at Consuelo's Mexican Restaurant in San Diego, Calif., and whose description is that of a puffy taco. However, the Consuelo's taco described used flour tortillas rather than masa tortillas, and the masa is important for getting the proper puffiness that really defines this dish.

One thing is certain: Henry's Puffy Tacos in San Antonio is where this food item first gained notice in 1978.

How Do You Make the Taco Shell Puffy?
Cooks start with fresh, uncooked masa tortillas. The tortillas are dropped into hot oil, and in the 30 to 45 seconds of cooking time, they "puff up" (almost as if the tortilla is being inflated). The cook pushes down in the middle of the puffed-up tortilla, creating a "valley" down the middle to give the tortilla its puffy taco-shell shape. The puffy taco shell is drained and it's ready for stuffing.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/2/2011, 11:52 AM
Wonder what his health status will be like in the next 10 years or so??????? He eats some crap.

I actually read where the guy constantly works out everyday while on the move. He is always running and lifting weights, even right after he has one of his eating challenges.

StoopTroup
4/2/2011, 04:26 PM
Pizza at Joe Mamas is edible. To expensive IMO....

It's a freaking Pizza! Not a Filet Mignon at Mahogonys

mgsooner
4/2/2011, 08:30 PM
Joe Mamma's is no more expensive than Hideaway. Heck Pizza Hut is getting up there. Now if you want Little Ceasars or Dominos that is a different story.

texaspokieokie
4/3/2011, 08:36 AM
Joe Mamma's is no more expensive than Hideaway. Heck Pizza Hut is getting up there. Now if you want Little Ceasars or Dominos that is a different story.

i like the "hideaway" in norman !!!

texaspokieokie
4/3/2011, 08:38 AM
ok, wtf is a "puffy taco?"

My wife loves "puffy tacos" ??

she had some just yesterday (saturday) @ El Chico in irving.

MR2-Sooner86
6/15/2011, 04:12 PM
The episode airs tonight at 8:00, 8:30, 11:00, and 11:30.

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 04:17 PM
I've already got the dvr set, I'm looking forward to it!