PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam War Memorial Website

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 10:43 AM
Don't know if any of you have ever seen this, but it's a great interactive website for the Vietnam Wall.

First click on a state. When it opens, scroll down to the city and the names will appear. Then click on their names. It should show you a picture of the person, or at least their bio and medals.

This really is an amazing web site. Someone spent a lot of time and effort to create it. God bless those who gave all.

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm

Names of Vietnam War casualties by city and state www.VirtualWall.org

NormanPride
3/30/2011, 11:17 AM
Wow. Very impressive site... It looks like it's been around for a long time, and people can post their thoughts to specific memorials. It's tough to read some of this.

AlbqSooner
3/30/2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting that. God Rest them all.

The Profit
3/30/2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for sharing that. It is an awesome site.

pphilfran
3/30/2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the link...

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 02:31 PM
I've been to the real Wall. Seen the one they take around our Country and the virtual Wall.

Amazing is all I can say about it. If you ever have the opportunity to visit DC.....do it. Put off Disneyland or that trip to Europe.....

Go see the Mall. Spend some time there too. One Day isn't enough. It's enough to make you want to visit again though.

I've already sent my 13 yr old Daughter there on a School Scholarship. She was amazed. Everything I told her about it was completely true and instead of thinking "Yeah Dad...I'm sure it's amazing...:rolleyes: " She will tell others just how amazing it is and just how amazing her parents were for paying the 1/2 that the Scholarship didn't and sending her on that class trip.

cccasooner2
3/30/2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks. I haven't visited that site in about seven years, it has definitely improved. I had six friends that died there and could only find one until now. I found all. Thanks again.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 02:49 PM
I've been to the real Wall. Seen the one they take around our Country and the virtual Wall.

Amazing is all I can say about it. If you ever have the opportunity to visit DC.....do it. Put off Disneyland or that trip to Europe.....

Go see the Mall. Spend some time there too. One Day isn't enough. It's enough to make you want to visit again though.

I've already sent my 13 yr old Daughter there on a School Scholarship. She was amazed. Everything I told her about it was completely true and instead of thinking "Yeah Dad...I'm sure it's amazing...:rolleyes: " She will tell others just how amazing it is and just how amazing her parents were for paying the 1/2 that the Scholarship didn't and sending her on that class trip.

Living up here these past several months, and having been up here many, many times I sort of take for granted what this place is. My daily walks at lunchtime are:

Monday: L'Enfant Plaza to the Capitol, around the back and up the steps of the Library of Congress and back.

Tues: L'Enfant to Union Station and back.

Weds: L'Enfant to Obama's crib, around the back by Lafayette Park and back.

Thurs: L'Enfant to the Lincoln Memorial and back.

Friday: L'Enfant to the Jefferson Memorial and back.

Each walk takes ~ 1-hour or so. On the way I go through all the memorials - WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and by all the Washington Monument, all the Smithsonians, Archives, Holocaust Museum, and such. This week I actually walked over to the American History museum twice. I wanted to spend a little more time on the 3rd floor. Very cool place.

It really is a grand capitol city that every American should see, and if you ever come out here make sure you take in Arlington Cemetery and especially the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Very awe inspiring. I was there last weekend - again. Something about that place draws me back...

All that being said, no way in hell should anyone actually live here.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 03:03 PM
All that being said, no way in hell should anyone actually live here.

Well....yeah.....lol

AlbqSooner
3/30/2011, 07:35 PM
I went to the Moving Wall when it was in New Port Richey, Florida. Gave me the opportunity to say some goodbyes that I had not been able to before that.

I realize it is not the WALL in D.C., but I can also tell you that God is there. It is Holy Ground wherever they set that up.

AlboSooner
3/30/2011, 07:45 PM
I went to the Moving Wall when it was in New Port Richey, Florida. Gave me the opportunity to say some goodbyes that I had not been able to before that.

I realize it is not the WALL in D.C., but I can also tell you that God is there. It is Holy Ground wherever they set that up.

Good posting.

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2011, 07:47 PM
Good posting.Concur. I'd spek ya Abq...if'n I could...

AlboSooner
3/30/2011, 07:47 PM
Concur. I'd spek ya Alb...if'n I could...

same here

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 07:49 PM

I actually saw the Moving Wall after I saw the real one and I was just as moved by it as I was the real one.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/30/2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks for sharing, thats pretty neat. I concur with visiting the wall and Mall area as much as possible, and stenciling out the names of any relatives on the wall is a sobering experience as well.

Soonerchaz
3/31/2011, 01:19 AM
Cool website...thanks.

I lived in DC for four years...and visited the Vietnam War Memorial often. Always moved me...such a simple/beautiful design.

I was always blown away that I worked with people that had never visited the Mall or any of the museums/memorials.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/31/2011, 11:09 AM
yeah..big thanks for this..

My grandmother told me her sister had 2 sons that died there and how much it messed everyone up...it was her sister's only 2 children.

MR2-Sooner86
3/31/2011, 11:34 AM
Went to the moving Wall but never the real one. Plan on doing that one day. When I went to go see the moving one I could barely keep it together. After I got done I went out to my car and lost it. When you sit there and look at all the names of brothers, fathers, uncles, sons, and so much more, gets to you.

Taxman71
4/1/2011, 10:41 AM
The entire mall area is very moving. The WWII area is outstanding and somewhat extravagant while the Korean War is a little more subdued and eerie. Walking through the whole area, you feel a presence around you.