PDA

View Full Version : It's Golf Season

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/30/2011, 09:20 AM
We need some more to talk about around here. Did you make any offseason purchases?

this year I have the following

Callaway Ft-Z Driver
Callaway "New School" Big Bertha 3 wood
Ping G10 3 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-67 irons
Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges
Scotty Cameron Putter

I'm also looking for a nice, black and white Mizuno staff bag

Mississippi Sooner
3/30/2011, 09:29 AM
I've been playing with the same clubs for almost twelve years now. Precept irons, Air Bear woods, Cleveland wedge and a custom made putter that a buddy of mine put together. My problem is making the time to go. I've been letting work interfere with golf far too often lately.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 09:40 AM
You know what really cracks me up? Duffers who go spend huge $$ on new equipment every year/other year and think that is the magic pill for their crappy game. "Man, that new bag and these new shoes are gonna knock 6 strokes of my game. The new dri-fit shirt, and this $500 driver will be good for another 2-3 strokes anyhow..."

One of the best golfers I've ever played with plays with a mismatched set of irons - all with steel shafts, a mis-matched set of woods - all persimmon, no metal, and a flat blade putter he picked up for $3 when putt-putt went out of business in Norman. His grips are gone, he has duct tape holding them on, there are threads hanging from the heads of the woods, and he wears the same pair of golf shoes he got out of the trash can at Westwood about 16 years ago. His bag is an old, moldy burgundy thing and he plays exclusively with balls he finds. He doesn't have $100 worth of equipment, and he's a solid 2 handicapper, and he breaks par very regularly. I've never seen him hit a drive over about 240-250, and he doesn't carry a gap wedge or a sand wedge. Just an old, rusty pitching wedge.

The key? He is uber consistent. Never swings too hard, never misses a fairway, if he does miss a green (which ain't often) he chips within 2-3 feet every damn time. I asked him about no sand wedge and he said "you're not supposed to be in the sand. Why should I carry one of those?" He is deadly with the putter, and I have probably played 30+ rounds of golf with him and have never personally seen him 4-putt, and only 3-putt a couple times.

Anyhow, if it makes you feel good go ahead and spend a bunch of $$. However, your money is better spent practicing/taking lessons.

Boomer.....
3/30/2011, 09:52 AM
After playing with the same crappy knockoff set of iron for most of my life, I finally splurged on some Mizuno-MX300 irons last season. I got them custom fitted also.

Mississippi Sooner
3/30/2011, 09:52 AM
You know what really cracks me up? Duffers who go spend huge $$ on new equipment every year/other year and think that is the magic pill for their crappy game. "Man, that new bag and these new shoes are gonna knock 6 strokes of my game. The new dri-fit shirt, and this $500 driver will be good for another 2-3 strokes anyhow..."

One of the best golfers I've ever played with plays with a mismatched set of irons - all with steel shafts, a mis-matched set of woods - all persimmon, no metal, and a flat blade putter he picked up for $3 when putt-putt went out of business in Norman. His grips are gone, he has duct tape holding them on, there are threads hanging from the heads of the woods, and he wears the same pair of golf shoes he got out of the trash can at Westwood about 16 years ago. His bag is an old, moldy burgundy thing and he plays exclusively with balls he finds. He doesn't have $100 worth of equipment, and he's a solid 2 handicapper, and he breaks par very regularly. I've never seen him hit a drive over about 240-250, and he doesn't carry a gap wedge or a sand wedge. Just an old, rusty pitching wedge.

The key? He is uber consistent. Never swings too hard, never misses a fairway, if he does miss a green (which ain't often) he chips within 2-3 feet every damn time. I asked him about no sand wedge and he said "you're not supposed to be in the sand. Why should I carry one of those?" He is deadly with the putter, and I have probably played 30+ rounds of golf with him and have never personally seen him 4-putt, and only 3-putt a couple times.

Anyhow, if it makes you feel good go ahead and spend a bunch of $$. However, your money is better spent practicing/taking lessons.

Heh. I have a cousin who once swore that a new Nike shirt he bought was going to take three strokes off his game.

And I know a guy a lot like you described. There is so much duct tape on his bag, you'd be hard pressed to tell what it's original color was. I doubt if any of the clubs in the bag are matched to any of the others. This guy's occupation? He's a cook and dishwasher at one of the local country clubs. All the members know, however, not to play a money game with him. He's a hustler of the first order, and a scratch golfer, at least on that particular course.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/30/2011, 09:56 AM
I've never had a lesson. At my peak in college I was a 3 handicap. Anyone who says equipment doesn't make a difference is kidding themselves. If equipment didn't make a difference all the pro's would still be using persimmon woods and playing with the irons they had from high school or college. Consistency is a very good thing, but even the best players in the world are not consistent 100% of the time which is why they carry the necessary tools to help them ie. a sand wedge.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 10:00 AM
I've never had a lesson. At my peak in college I was a 3 handicap. Anyone who says equipment doesn't make a difference is kidding themselves. If equipment didn't make a difference all the pro's would still be using persimmon woods and playing with the irons they had from high school or college. Consistency is a very good thing, but even the best players in the world are not consistent 100% of the time which is why they carry the necessary tools to help them ie. a sand wedge.

Don't get me wrong, I said "duffers." 95% of people out on the course fall into this category. If you're a legit single digit capper, then yes, the equipment is very important. Most people out there are closer to a 20-25 handicap and fancy equipment will do very little to improve their game. In fact, tour irons, etc. are typically very unforgiving and duffers will play worse with them.

Mississippi Sooner
3/30/2011, 10:02 AM
That's the reason I haven't updated my clubs in over a decade. It makes no difference. I'm extremely mediocre no matter the quality of my clubs.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 10:04 AM
Oh yeah, another thing, when I hear people on a message board go "I'm a 7 handicapper" I usually add a 10 to it. I've played with a ton of these guys and it's always "well I usually play much better than this..."

Not a whole lot of us normal folks can play the WHOLE game really well. I play with some young bucks who pulverize the ball off the tee, but can't chip or putt to save their asses. I play with some old guys who can't hit it more than 175 yards off the tee, but are deadly with their short game. It's a funny game...

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah, my shortcomings? The whole ****ing thing.

Actually, I hit my medium-short irons very well. I putt pretty decent. I hit a driver 300+ one drive, then hook it OB the next. No consistency with the big stick at all. I usually hit a 3-wood off the tee - but can't hit the ****ing thing to save my life off a fairway. Weird. Another thing. If I am at a yardage where I can take a full swing (say 90 yards and out) I hit it much better than where I have to punch it or hit a 30 yard shot right in front of the green. I either chili dip it, or skull it across the green. **** this game. I ain't playing any more.

Mississippi Sooner
3/30/2011, 10:09 AM
"I hate this ****ing game. Play it all the time."

:D

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/30/2011, 10:11 AM
Oh yeah, another thing, when I hear people on a message board go "I'm a 7 handicapper" I usually add a 10 to it. I've played with a ton of these guys and it's always "well I usually play much better than this..."

Not a whole lot of us normal folks can play the WHOLE game really well. I play with some young bucks who pulverize the ball off the tee, but can't chip or putt to save their asses. I play with some old guys who can't hit it more than 175 yards off the tee, but are deadly with their short game. It's a funny game...

I understand about not believing as I've seen it too. I played in college but my game has tailed off a little. Some people have IT and some don't and there is no shame in that.

I like to think of golfers as people who lost their ability to see or hear. It always seems to heighten another sense. In this case if you are not long off the tee you are forced to have a good short game because that's your only shot. I average about 285 off the tee so i'm not all that long but I have a good short game because I practiced for hours upon hours as a kid

picasso
3/30/2011, 10:13 AM
I played two Saturdays ago with my wife's stepmother's dad. It was his 95th birthday and dude can't play anymore but we had a friendly outing.
His club (TCC) is under construction so we played at the Oaks which I'm fond of.
Cousin Mark from KC was there and I was told he was good. I wasn't told that he was a former pro and KC city champion.:eek:

He only got me by 3 on the back but the front was ugly.

hawaii 5-0
3/30/2011, 10:18 AM
I played last weekend after laying off two years.

Best ball I hit all day was when I stepped on that rake in the sand trap.

5-0

OutlandTrophy
3/30/2011, 10:47 AM

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/singer/dolly-parton/pictures/dolly-parton-picture-3.jpg.

Boomer.....
3/30/2011, 10:47 AM
I played a week ago for the first time this season and was cruising at +3 after 10 and then drunk hit me. It was all downhill from there. :D

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2011, 06:21 PM
I played a week ago for the first time this season and was cruising at +3 after 10 and then drunk hit me. It was all downhill from there. :DHeh. This past Sunday I played Earlywine North...shot a 38 on the front...51 on the back. The Natty's hit me as well, plus it was so damn cold my hips were freez'n up:D

As far as equipment, back in 2k the Indians(feather, not dot), were gracious enough to give me $1200.00 out of a slot machine. I used some of it to but a set of Callaway X-10's, 8.5dg VFT driver, Steelhead 3 wood, Taylormade 19dg Rescue, Vokey 56dg and Cleavland 60dg copper and a Scotty Cameron Studio putter...had to regrip all of them twice and replace a couple of shafts on the irons...other than that, they still go'n strong.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 07:13 PM
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/singer/dolly-parton/pictures/dolly-parton-picture-3.jpg.

Dude, I hope you got a point, cause looking at that **** is making me go inverted. Geez.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 07:36 PM
I'll never forget when Lid bought his golf cart....

vZ46dvOh7do

soonercruiser
3/30/2011, 09:43 PM
I understand about not believing as I've seen it too. I played in college but my game has tailed off a little. Some people have IT and some don't and there is no shame in that.

I like to think of golfers as people who lost their ability to see or hear. It always seems to heighten another sense. In this case if you are not long off the tee you are forced to have a good short game because that's your only shot. I average about 285 off the tee so i'm not all that long but I have a good short game because I practiced for hours upon hours as a kid

Bingo!
"Feel" for the swing, and good depth perception.
(A man's got to know his limitations...."course management" is #3)

Got Hcp down to 8.2 last fall. Lowest in years.
Had an original Taylormade Burner Driver. Kept it last year, 'cause the Superfast didn't seem to improve anything.

But, got the Burner Superfast 2.0 this winter. Much improved off the tee.
(It's much harder for me to fade with it. Although, I didn't prove it at Torrey Pines last month.)

OUthunder
3/30/2011, 10:48 PM
We need some more to talk about around here. Did you make any offseason purchases?

this year I have the following

Callaway Ft-Z Driver
Callaway "New School" Big Bertha 3 wood
Ping G10 3 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-67 irons
Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges
Scotty Cameron Putter

I'm also looking for a nice, black and white Mizuno staff bag

Sounds very similar to my bag. Except I hate Callaway products. Never helped my game at all. Last year I played very little but managed to play to an 11 after major back surgery a year before.

dwarthog
3/31/2011, 06:46 AM

Wish I had me a new fancy golf ball for every time I heard one of these stories, I would have a whole sackful by now.... :D

soonercruiser
3/31/2011, 10:09 AM
Wish I had me a new fancy golf ball for every time I heard one of these stories, I would have a whole sackful by now.... :D

Like fishing....
"The round that got away!"
:O