PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant faces second lawsuit

Sooner_Tuf
3/29/2011, 11:39 PM
One day after a civil lawsuit was filed against Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant saying he owed $246,000 worth of jewelry to a New York-based company, another civil lawsuit has emerged against him and his adviser David Wells.

Eleow Hunt, a Colleyville, Texas, jeweler and ticket broker, said Bryant hasn't paid for jewelry and tickets to sporting events or repaid personal loans that collectively total in excess of $600,000, according to a court filing from Tarrant County.

The lawsuit says that Bryant, who was a sophomore at Oklahoma State when the spending spree allegedly began, was supposed to repay Hunt when he signed either an NFL or promotional contract, whichever came first. Bryant and Wells signed 17 receipts from January 2009 to July 2010, the lawsuit said. The longest wait between purchases was 2½ months.

Attached to the lawsuit are copies of receipts for jewelry that Hunt said was made for the receiver and hasn't been paid for. The items include everything from a "custom Cartier diamond watch" to a "white gold diamond dog tag set" and "custom diamond engagement ring." The receipts for more than 40 pieces of jewelry total $588,500.

Hunt also claims he loaned Wells $26,000 to cover Bryant's expenses and to provide him with spending money before he was drafted. The lawsuit says Wells repaid $15,000.

Also, the lawsuit alleges Bryant owes $15,850 in unpaid sporting event tickets. Bryant was given 10 tickets worth $5,750 for the Cowboys' 2009 regular-season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles. Bryant also got six tickets worth $3,750 for the Cowboys' playoff victory over the Eagles that same season. Cowboys games were not the only ones Bryant was given tickets for. He received four tickets to watch the Mavericks play the Cleveland Cavaliers in December 2009. The cost of the tickets totaled $2,500, according to the lawsuit.

"Mr. Hunt sells custom-made jewelry to athletes and entertainers," Hunt's attorney, Beth Ann Blackwood, said. "Mr. Bryant says he would pay and hasn't and it finally resulted in filing a lawsuit."

It was not immediately clear if the NCAA or Oklahoma State was aware of the lawsuit. Bryant had already run afoul of NCAA rules in 2009, being ruled ineligible for lying to investigators about having lunch with Deion Sanders.

And this isn't Bryant's first controversy as a pro. He reacted badly when veteran Roy Williams asked him to carry his pads in Bryant's first training camp. He ended up getting stuck picking up the tab for a $54,896 dinner with teammates. A Dolphins executive was also criticized for asking in a pre-draft interview whether Bryant's mother was a prostitute. And just last week, he had a run-in with an off-duty police officer at a Dallas-area mall over someone in his group having sagging pants.

Hunt says he has dealt with Wells in the past and the pair had a successful relationship with Wells' cousin, former Texas Tech wide receiver and current San Francisco 49ers wideout Michael Crabtree. Hunt said he has known Wells since the late 1990s.

Bryant's attorney, state Sen. Royce West, declined comment on the specifics in the lawsuits, but noted they are "sheer allegations."

"What we're seeing is Dez Bryant being singled out," West said. "There are lawsuits. They will be resolved."

Wells declined to comment, as did the Cowboys.

The two lawsuits that have emerged in the past two days total over $850,000, not including damages or legal fees.

Last season with the Cowboys, Bryant made $2.84 million in base salaries and bonuses. He also received an undetermined amount from Under Armour and other income from personal appearances.

Bryant is scheduled to receive a base salary of $1.1 million this year with a $1 million roster bonus. He cannot receive the roster bonus until the NFL lockout ends. He will receive his base salary over a 17-week span starting in September.

The latest lawsuit was filed last year, but a motion filed last week by another of Bryant's attorneys, Veretta Frazier, asked the court to move the lawsuit from Tarrant County to Dallas County. Blackwood responded to the motion by saying the case should remain in Tarrant County.

Calvin Watkins covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Follow Calvin Watkins on Twitter: @calvinwatkins

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6269847

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 02:15 AM
That fake article that was posted here earlier... that was fake, right?

The lawsuit says that Bryant, who was a sophomore at Oklahoma State when the spending spree allegedly began...

Hey, wait a minute. Am I reading that right?

SoonerLB
3/30/2011, 02:41 AM
Someone might oughta tell Jerry that there is a pretty good chance Dez has some character issues . . . . . just sayin'. What a piece of work! LOL!

cleller
3/30/2011, 07:36 AM
The story is today's Oklahoman makes it pretty clear Dez was rolling in the benefits while at OSU.

Lets unleash the NCAA on the pokey people. Dez really does sound like a turdball of the first order.

rekamrettuB
3/30/2011, 08:37 AM
Also, the lawsuit alleges Bryant owes $15,850 in unpaid sporting event tickets. Bryant was given 10 tickets worth $5,750 for the Cowboys' 2009 regular-season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles. Bryant also got six tickets worth $3,750 for the Cowboys' playoff victory over the Eagles that same season. Cowboys games were not the only ones Bryant was given tickets for. He received four tickets to watch the Mavericks play the Cleveland Cavaliers in December 2009. The cost of the tickets totaled $2,500, according to the lawsuit.

HAHA :D

badger
3/30/2011, 09:19 AM
no wonder dude didn't want to hold out - he OWED (literally) the cowboys. :eek:

texaspokieokie
3/30/2011, 09:19 AM
he was gone from osu by dec 2009.
tickets are (or don't appear to be)no problem for osu. jewelry is another matter.

texaspokieokie
3/30/2011, 09:21 AM
no wonder dude didn't want to hold out - he OWED (literally) the cowboys. :eek:

how do you figure ?? his 1st year salary (or bonus) was 2.4 mil.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/30/2011, 09:33 AM
Could Dez take down the aggies?

Sooner_Tuf
3/30/2011, 09:38 AM
he was gone from osu by dec 2009.
tickets are (or don't appear to be)no problem for osu. jewelry is another matter.

I thought he was still enrolled. Didn't he help prepare for the Bowl also? Things are looking a little stinky in Stillwater.

SoonerDan74012
3/30/2011, 09:39 AM
The story is today's Oklahoman makes it pretty clear Dez was rolling in the benefits while at OSU.

Lets unleash the NCAA on the pokey people. Dez really does sound like a turdball of the first order.

Add in the street agents Baron Flenory Jr. and Will Lyles that the Pukes are using to get players and you have one big s***storm.

texaspokieokie
3/30/2011, 09:39 AM
Could Dez take down the aggies?

looks to me like he could. was buying jewelry while still there.

texaspokieokie
3/30/2011, 09:42 AM
I thought he was still enrolled. Didn't he help prepare for the Bowl also? Things are looking a little stinky in Stillwater.

as soon as ncaa said he couldn't play (which took months) he left stillwater &
came to stay with an "adviser" in DeSoto. coincidence, the "adviser" had had previous involvement with dallas cowboys.

think he was "body guard" for "pac-man", among other things.

sperry
3/30/2011, 10:12 AM
Somehow I get the feeling this clown will retire with zero dollars in the bank no matter how much he makes as a pro.

sappstuf
3/30/2011, 10:47 AM
So he spent 30% of his first year's salary on jewelry and tickets?

Smart guy.

rekamrettuB
3/30/2011, 11:06 AM
So he spent 30% of his first year's salary on jewelry and tickets?

Smart guy.

Ya...and 50K for not carrying Roy Williams shoulder pads.

Breadburner
3/30/2011, 11:08 AM
CHEETINNNNNNNNN GOOONERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....!!!!!!!!!!!PO# T$Y#@#YP@#ORYU#Q{PO#U{

virginiasooner
3/30/2011, 11:14 AM
Attached to the lawsuit are copies of receipts for jewelry that Hunt said was made for the receiver and hasn't been paid for. The items include everything from a "custom Cartier diamond watch" to a "white gold diamond dog tag set" and "custom diamond engagement ring." The receipts for more than 40 pieces of jewelry total $588,500.

First we hear about saggy pants, and now his tasteless jewelry choices. What's wrong with an off-the-rack Cartier watch? Doesn't Rolex make a watch with lots of diamonds? And if I was making anything for this clown, I'd demand payment up front.

badger
3/30/2011, 11:20 AM
how do you figure ?? his 1st year salary (or bonus) was 2.4 mil.

I think pretty much everyone out there agreed that Dez could have (and should have) gotten even more in his first deal and that the deal he got - while lucrative to us middle classers - was not a good deal.

Not that I am accusing Dez of being money savvy. Put a big number on a sheet of paper and of course it looks good to someone currently making zero (or whatever the Poke boosters were giving him, hehe). Then, you have to figure in that half goes to takes, 30 percent goes to his bling (apparently), rumors that he's been tossing money around for $50-$60 tips every time he visits the mall to valet park his car to get the latest Jordans or Lebrons ($150-$200 each pair) while $50k-ing his way out of carrying TFRW's pads, getting his former Poke teammates down to Dallas for a MNF loss...

...it just blows my mind that someone isn't cutting up his credit cards or putting him on an allowance system at this point. Someone that isn't afraid to tell him the truth needs to be all like "Dez, this money has to last you the rest of your life. You're not going to be playing football when you're 60, and you'll be lucky to last longer than NFL average three year career. With injuries, it could be one big hit and you're out."

I know he's aggy and all, but he's never done the Sooners wrong. Beating Pokette since 2002 and loving every annual win over the orange sister school. We love you, Dez! :stunned:

SoonerDan74012
3/30/2011, 11:22 AM
Dallas Morning News is reporting that the NCAA is investigating Okie St. over the Dez Bryant matter.

Jacie
3/30/2011, 11:43 AM
And if I was making anything for this clown, I'd demand payment up front.

The actions of the overpaid NFL/NBA/MLBB players who go for this stuff are not like what any normal person would do. Treating them like they are some spare who walked in off the street would quickly relegate your business to nothing but spares who walked in off the street, and the spoiled athletes would be buying their bling from another dealer (and the use of that word was not a coincidence).

101sooner
3/30/2011, 11:44 AM
Oh but the NCAA was so unfair to Dez! They punished him so much harder than anyone else!

Frickin' Aggies throwin stones is priceless. You just KNOW it's gonna come back an bite them when they open their mouths.

101sooner
3/30/2011, 11:47 AM
Dallas Morning News is reporting that the NCAA is investigating Okie St. over the Dez Bryant matter.

Link!!

badger
3/30/2011, 11:55 AM
Link!!

DMN is for subscribers only... but there are ways around such hindrances :)

The important thing in that article are that both Dez and Michael Crabtree bought jewelry on credit while still a college athlete. Therefore, you can be assured that since the NCAA hasn't hammered Tech, they're not gonna hammer OSU.

Here's the Tulsa World's version (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?articleid=20110330_93_B6_Oklaho546890 ) on OSU's response to the Dez stuff if you don't want to climb the DMN wall.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 12:26 PM
When it's all said and done, it's people like Dez who keep stereotypes/racism rolling right along. Punk/thug/bling/******.

Breadburner
3/30/2011, 12:33 PM
When it's all said and done, it's people like Dez who keep stereotypes/racism rolling right along. Punk/thug/bling/******.

Ding...Ding....Ding ......We have a winnah.......Peterson running his yap didn't help any either.....

SoonerDan74012
3/30/2011, 12:37 PM
Ding...Ding....Ding ......We have a winnah.......Peterson running his yap didn't help any either.....

Lumping AD in with Dez is downright idiotic.

yukonsooner
3/30/2011, 01:41 PM
Isn't Dez, Blackmon's mentor or something? Just wondering if Blackmon has any new bling.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 01:58 PM

No, it's the people that defend their behavior that further the stereotypes.

Well... both actually.

Piware
3/30/2011, 03:16 PM
Isn't Dez, Blackmon's mentor or something? Just wondering if Blackmon has any new bling.

LOL! If he does, you can bet it's buried in an empty hair gel bottle in
Gumby's back yard.

Wasn't there some kind of debate about Blackmon and some NFL tickets last year? As I recall, the tickets were from a "family friend". Wonder if his name was Dez since he seems to be buying them for the world at large.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 03:28 PM
No, it's the people that defend their behavior that further the stereotypes.

Well... both actually.

Quit obsessing with Dean and just agree with him.

LL: Well.....no it isn't.....well....it's a little like that.....errrrr......ya know....you were right. (I might just leave this thread now and go see if there is someone else I can agree to disagree with and later disavow any knowledge that i agreed or disagreed....)

Damn dude...get a grip would ya?

SoonerNutt
3/30/2011, 03:33 PM
Kind of makes me re-visit a question from last off-season.

Just where did Justin Blackmon get the tickets to the Dallas Cowboys game he attended the weekend he got arrested? Anything to do with Dez, Deion, or these glorified loan sharks?

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 03:42 PM
Kind of makes me re-visit a question from last off-season.

Just where did Justin Blackmon get the tickets to the Dallas Cowboys game he attended the weekend he got arrested? Anything to do with Dez, Deion, or these glorified loan sharks?

Why don't you use the search function and go find the thread where it was discussed 400 times?

We all know he's at the edge of screwing up just with the DUI.

If the NCAA wanted to take Gundy's boys down for such an infraction....let them. If they don't....let's hope Gundy put's a stop to the BS and if he doesn't....let's hope they nail the programs balls to the walls for something substantial.

Knit picking this **** is pretty aggie IMO.

We beat their *** last year and they get another Home Game with us as Visitors this year. I bet we beat their asses worse this year. Thanks to Nebraska we have to endure another year of putting up with oSu's ****ed up ticket policy and instead of doing the same thing to them...Our School takes the high road and instead offers them up a red-headed step child *** whooping every year until the State quits wasting tax payers money on keeping stoolwater open for Special Education Students.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 05:47 PM
Quit obsessing with Dean and just agree with him.

LL: Well.....no it isn't.....well....it's a little like that.....errrrr......ya know..

Oh, just stfu you reptilian-obsessed jerkoff.

Mongo
3/30/2011, 05:49 PM
I retract my statement from the other Dez thread about the cop being a dildo.

Dez is a ****ing moron.

Piware
3/30/2011, 11:08 PM

Not that he is sporting yet but he did go to a Dallas game with tickets "from a friend". Old Dez will be teaching him to live in a refrigerator box and hide his bling in his socks. :P

goingoneight
3/30/2011, 11:27 PM
Methinks the whole "lying to the NCAA" story was an OSU-friendly way of saying "we can't play this guy anymore." And not because of some silly meeting with Neon Deion.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 11:27 PM
Oh, just stfu you reptilian-obsessed jerkoff.

That's not really very nice Leroy.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 11:40 PM
That's not really very nice Leroy.

I just looked up "StoopTroup" on thesaurus.com.

SoonerDan74012
3/30/2011, 11:42 PM
I retract my statement from the other Dez thread about the cop being a dildo.

Dez is a ****ing moron.

Try being a Dallas fan like me that has to deal with this moron playing for my team. :mad:

texaspokieokie
3/31/2011, 07:27 AM
Try being a Dallas fan like me that has to deal with this moron playing for my team. :mad:

if you can put up with the likes of TO & pacman, dez shouldn't be too bad.

rooting for jerry jones for the last 20 (or so) yrs can't be a picnic.

SoCal
6/7/2011, 09:38 AM
Despite claims otherwise by Dez Bryant over the weekend, a lawyer said the Dallas Cowboys wide receiver still owes more than $600,000 and that a lawsuit is still pending.

"I have a handle on it and it's done," Bryant told The Associated Press during an appearance Saturday at a department store in Tulsa, Okla. "It's in the past and I'm ready to go ahead from here."

While Bryant may want to put his money woes behind him, he still owes Colleyville jeweler and ticket broker Eleow Hunt a little more than $600,000 for jewelry, tickets and personal loans, attorney Beth Ann Blackwood told ESPN Dallas on Sunday night.

Blackwood said the lawsuit is on hold while Bryant's attorney -- Texas State Senator Royce West -- is in special session in Austin.

The lawsuit states Bryant, who was a sophomore at Oklahoma State when the spending spree began, was supposed to repay Hunt when he signed either an NFL or promotional contract, whichever came first. Bryant and adviser David Wells signed 17 receipts from January 2009 to July 2010, the lawsuit said. The longest wait between purchases was 2½ months.

Bryant is hopeful to settle this lawsuit when the NFL lockout ends, when he's scheduled to receive a $1 million roster bonus.

He settled another lawsuit filed earlier this year for an undisclosed amount. A New York-based jeweler said Bryant owed them $246,000 for purchases.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6631036

soonerloyal
6/7/2011, 10:27 AM

Being the loudmouth that I am, I have a DMN account...but I can't find anything over there on this. :confused:

SoCal
6/7/2011, 10:43 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110330_93_B6_Oklaho546890

Oklahoma State will look into claims that former receiver Dez Bryant may have violated NCAA rules in the summer of 2009, a school official said Tuesday.

A recent lawsuit filed in Texas contends that Bryant began receiving jewelry, sports tickets or loans in June 2009, when he was entering his junior season at OSU.

"That's new information to us," Kevin Fite, OSU's associate athletic director for compliance, said Tuesday afternoon. "It's something we're certainly going to look at."

The suit claims Bryant still owes more than $600,000 for the goods or loans.

The lawsuit contends that receipts signed by Bryant show they were supposed to be paid by July 30, 2010, "or when he signs his first Marketing or Sports Contract, which ever happens first," according to The Associated Press.

If Bryant received goods with the intention of paying back the jeweler after he turned pro, it could be a violation of NCAA amateur rules against paying players.

Bylaw 12.1.2.1.6 states that prohibited pay includes: "Preferential treatment, benefits or services because of the individual's athletics reputation or skill or pay-back potential as a professional athlete...."

If Cowboys officials had knowledge of Bryant's deal soon after it happened, the school could face sanctions. If not, it's unlikely that OSU would be penalized.

Amateurism violations typically result in punishments for the player but not the program.

The NCAA ruled that Terrelle Pryor and four other Ohio State players violated that bylaw when they received improper benefits. The players were suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season, but the program wasn't initially punished.

Original Print Headline: OSU investigating Bryant claims

By MATT BAKER World Sports Writer

SoonerDan74012
6/7/2011, 10:53 AM
"I have a handle on it and it's done," Bryant told The Associated Press during an appearance Saturday at a department store in Tulsa, Okla. "It's in the past and I'm ready to go ahead from here."

So that's why all the jewelry stores inside Woodland Hills Mall were closed. :mad: