PDA

View Full Version : UNBELIEVABLE! DelDOT removes basketball hoop [Delaware Online News Video]

TIMB0B
3/29/2011, 10:24 PM
Anyone seen this???

XfRpLFdq0YY

Blue
3/29/2011, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I saw that. That is what you call a power trip.

MamaMia
3/29/2011, 10:46 PM
Thats just downright unAmerican.

I have seen some that are a nuisance though.

jumperstop
3/29/2011, 11:19 PM
Thats just downright unAmerican.

I have seen some that are a nuisance though.

That's why this should only be enforced if there are complaints. Even at that allow them to move it before you lie to them and take it. That bitch was just doing her job, but she could have been a little more understanding. She was acting like they shouldn't be pissed. Sometimes I ****ing hate our government...who thought this would be a good idea?

Mongo
3/29/2011, 11:39 PM
Meh, that neighborhood is packed with honkies. They wouldnt make it in basketball anyways

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/30/2011, 08:23 AM
The classic state trooper attitude on display

OUDoc
3/30/2011, 09:29 AM
Nothing says "official state business" like a gray hoodie.

Jacie
3/30/2011, 09:36 AM
Thank goodness this is America. In Libya or Iran they'd have shot the guy and driven over the hoop with a tank . .

pphilfran
3/30/2011, 09:36 AM
The location of the hoops were not within the law...somebody complained...they received notice...and then didn't follow through and move the goal to an area that is within compliance...

What did they expect?

It could have been handled better by all involved...

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/30/2011, 09:44 AM
The location of the hoops were not within the law...somebody complained...they received notice...and then didn't follow through and move the goal to an area that is within compliance...

What did they expect?

They probably expected to keep their goal

crawfish
3/30/2011, 10:19 AM
There obviously needs to be more violent crime in Delaware. Too much time on their hands.

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 10:28 AM

What did they expect?

That's the thing, I don't think anyone complained. And if you listen to the first of the video they tried contacting the people in authority like they were supposed to, but they never responded before taking the goal. On top of that the lady said they could keep the post, but then took it from them saying they can come pick it up. They never planned on that, they dropped it and just throwing it around breaking it.

saucysoonergal
3/30/2011, 10:55 AM
I sent them a tsk tsk email and I received this:

The Office of Public Relations would like to thank you for sending your e-mail message. We appreciate you taking the time to send your comments to us. This reply message is to let you know that we have received your e-mail and that we will review it and respond to you very soon. DelDOT Public Relations receives many e-mail inquiries every day on a wide range of issues and topics, including dozens of e-mails on some days. All e-mail messages, whether they are critical or complimentary, are important to us and they are reviewed in the order they are received. Each e-mail requires a different level of research and response. Please be assured that you will soon receive a reply from the Department. If your e-mail requested specific materials to be mailed, such as a state map, those materials may in some cases be sent to you without any response. The Department appreciates e-mails and all forms of public input. They keep us informed of the public’s opinions and concerns with road projects and other transportation issues of importance to all Delaware residents. Thank you for contacting us and providing us with the opportunity to address any questions or concerns you may have. If the situation of your e-mail message requires immediate attention please call the Public Relations Office at 1-800-652-5600 or 1-302-760-2080 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

I'll post any further response.

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 11:01 AM
Omg, "dozens" of emails a day....lol. I bet they are getting hundreds or thousands a day regarding this issue now that there is a video.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 11:14 AM
They're just gearing up for next year's "Lawn Jockey and Gnome Sweep."

saucysoonergal
3/30/2011, 11:16 AM
They're just gearing up for next year's "Lawn Jockey and Gnome Sweep."

Pat better watch it then.

;)

Oldnslo
3/30/2011, 11:33 AM
wait. it's on a cul-de-sac?

pphilfran
3/30/2011, 11:42 AM
wait. it's on a cul-de-sac?

Don't matter...

Some people want to come home and not have to drive around kids playing ball...or avoiding a ball...or a kid chasing the ball...

I don't really give a chit...but apparently someone in the neighborhood did...the folks could have resolved the situation by not placing a goal in an inappropriate or legal area...or moving the goal until the situation was resolved...

Another perfect example of people not taking responsibility for their actions...

Like I said...both parties could have handled the situation better...

OrlandoSooner
3/30/2011, 11:55 AM
It is a new law and most of the goals there were there before the law. Still, the law had no grandfather clause.

Caboose
3/30/2011, 12:26 PM
What we need is MORE government! Amirite Liberals? Amirite?

Oh, I am sorry, I forgot the term "Liberal" is a dirty word these days... "Progressives"

Partial Qualifier
3/30/2011, 12:31 PM
I agree with pphilfran on this

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 12:41 PM
Don't matter...

Some people want to come home and not have to drive around kids playing ball...or avoiding a ball...or a kid chasing the ball...

I don't really give a chit...but apparently someone in the neighborhood did...the folks could have resolved the situation by not placing a goal in an inappropriate or legal area...or moving the goal until the situation was resolved...

Another perfect example of people not taking responsibility for their actions...

It was placed in a legal area, and had been legal for many years (16 years I think he said without an issue). They made it illegal and then started rounding up the hoops. They didn't put it there illegally. They did ask if they could move it, but the city just took it anyway even though they said they could just keep it if it wasn't in the illegal spot. Did you even watch the video or are you just talking out your ***? I don't think anyone complained (although I don't know) they were taking all the goals in residential areas. I don't think this was an issue of people not wanting kids in the street. I lived on a cul-da-sac when I was a kid and the traffic was not near significant for "kids in the street" to be an issue. So unless you're a grumpy old man being a jackass about some little law, I don't think it was a complaint.

pphilfran
3/30/2011, 12:48 PM
It was placed in a legal area, and had been legal for many years (16 years I think he said without an issue). They made it illegal and then started rounding up the hoops. They didn't put it there illegally. They did ask if they could move it, but the city just took it anyway even though they said they could just keep it if it wasn't in the illegal spot. Did you even watch the video or are you just talking out your ***? I don't think anyone complained (although I don't know) they were taking all the goals in residential areas.

I watched the vid and then went to other sources...other sources state they were notified in advance of the change...the homeowners tried to get an exemption but were unsuccessful (they thought they were making progress)..

The hoops were then removed...the authorities could have done more to resolve the situation...the lady climbing on top of the goal to keep it from being removed could have handled the situation better...

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 12:58 PM
I watched the vid and then went to other sources...other sources state they were notified in advance of the change...the homeowners tried to get an exemption but were unsuccessful (they thought they were making progress)..

The hoops were then removed...the authorities could have done more to resolve the situation...the lady climbing on top of the goal to keep it from being removed could have handled the situation better...

Ok well I don't disagree with the sit in bs, not the way to handle it. Also I just thought they were still waiting on a response and not denied, I didn't do the research you did. Given plenty of time to know this was going to happen, they could have just moved it. I mean legally the government was in the right, but still a dumb law none the less. The thing I see here that pisses me off more is when people have their whole front yard taken up by a storm shelter. I would be pissed if my neighbor ruined the look of the neighborhood because they were too cheap to have them rip up the fence to put it in the back yard. Hell they can easily put it in your garage if you don't want that.

pphilfran
3/30/2011, 01:03 PM
Ok well I don't disagree with the sit in bs, not the way to handle it. Also I just thought they were still waiting on a response and not denied, I didn't do the research you did. Given plenty of time to know this was going to happen, they could have just moved it. I mean legally the government was in the right, but still a dumb law none the less. The thing I see here that pisses me off more is when people have their whole front yard taken up by a storm shelter. I would be pissed if my neighbor ruined the look of the neighborhood because they were too cheap to have them rip up the fence to put it in the back yard. Hell they can easily put it in your garage if you don't want that.

I don't think they got denied...all I could find was that the homeowners thought they were making progress in keeping the goals and then the cops showed up...

It was handled poorly..

But if the city says you can't park your car in the street or an unpaved yard or your car will get towed and they give you notice of the date of the new reg...if you then ignore the new reg, don't be pizzed when your car ain't where ya parked it...

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 01:08 PM
I don't think they got denied...all I could find was that the homeowners thought they were making progress in keeping the goals and then the cops showed up...

It was handled poorly..

But if the city says you can't park your car in the street or an unpaved yard or your car will get towed and they give you notice of the date of the new reg...if you then ignore the new reg, don't be pizzed when your car ain't where ya parked it...

The only thing I don't like is that if it's been there for 16 years without out an issue, I feel the resident deserves a response or a denial before they show up with the cops.

pphilfran
3/30/2011, 01:09 PM
The only thing I don't like is that if it's been there for 16 years without out an issue, I feel the resident deserves a response or a denial before they show up with the cops.

I can't disagree with you on that fact...

badger
3/30/2011, 01:40 PM
It's kind of funny the big stink and big production they had over some basketball hoops. Remove children's vaccines from a local clinic and THEN go overboard like this. It's basketball hoops. Get the law changed and put em back up if you're so angry.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 01:53 PM
Don't matter...

This.

Caboose
3/30/2011, 02:09 PM
It's kind of funny the big stink and big production they had over some basketball hoops. Remove children's vaccines from a local clinic and THEN go overboard like this. It's basketball hoops. Get the law changed and put em back up if you're so angry.

First they came for the basketball hoops and I said nothing...

pphilfran
3/30/2011, 02:12 PM

:)

tator
3/30/2011, 02:57 PM
I didn't hear it mentioned in the video, what is the point of the law in the first place? Isn't it a little difficult to have nothing within 7 feet of the road? Mailboxes come to mind.

Also, the narrator dude is an annoying idiot (my opinion)

Mongo
3/30/2011, 03:00 PM
I didn't hear it mentioned in the video, what is the point of the law in the first place? Isn't it a little difficult to have nothing within 7 feet of the road? Mailboxes come to mind.

Also, the narrator dude is an annoying idiot (my opinion)

Shut up

tator
3/30/2011, 03:02 PM
**** off, dip****

(you never text me anymore....)

Mongo
3/30/2011, 03:05 PM
**** off, dip****

(you never text me anymore....)

Been busy. Lord loves a workin man

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 03:07 PM
Ok well I don't disagree with the sit in bs, not the way to handle it. Also I just thought they were still waiting on a response and not denied, I didn't do the research you did. Given plenty of time to know this was going to happen, they could have just moved it. I mean legally the government was in the right, but still a dumb law none the less.

From what I can tell, the basketball goals were fixed permanently (well, not quite permanently) and in a location that would compel kids to play in the streets.

Can't do that. DelDOT was right in their actions, although they mishandled it on the PR side.

BTW, it matters not whether anyone complained. The law is the law.

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 03:45 PM
From what I can tell, the basketball goals were fixed permanently (well, not quite permanently) and in a location that would compel kids to play in the streets.

Can't do that. DelDOT was right in their actions, although they mishandled it on the PR side.

BTW, it matters not whether anyone complained. The law is the law.

It's also against the law to hunt whales in ok or eat a burger downtown while walking backwards. There are dumb laws that shouldn't be enforced. Not saying they didn't have the right, saying they shouldn't have.

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 03:48 PM
And kids are going to play in neighborhood streets without a bb goal. That's why speed limits are lower. Of course how many of you make sure to drive 25, for the kids....it's pretty easy to not run over kids on a cul-da-sac.

soonerhubs
3/30/2011, 04:06 PM
I suppose it'd been funny had they poured a few more yards of concrete to "anchor" that bad boy before the city workers came. ;)

Dio
3/30/2011, 05:10 PM
Yay nanny state!

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 05:28 PM
Oh please people! There wasn't a string of net on that thing. It ain't like any of the fat, pasty, Dr. Pepper impregnated white kids on that block are doing anything but "gaming, yo" so who seriously GAF? Me? nyet.

Next thread.

Sooner5030
3/30/2011, 05:35 PM
don't like what the police did

don't like that people put structures in the right-of-way. If not safety, someone would eventually plow/trench/backhoe some fiber/coax/water/sewer and the goal would be in the way. I guess you could pay extra to have them bore under the structure.

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 05:37 PM
Huh? "bore under the structure?" Are you on drugs?

Sooner5030
3/30/2011, 05:38 PM
a directional boring machine......usually made by ditchwitch or vermeer.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 05:52 PM
It's also against the law to hunt whales in ok or eat a burger downtown while walking backwards. There are dumb laws that shouldn't be enforced. Not saying they didn't have the right, saying they shouldn't have.

Most of these stupid laws are actually urban legends. All you need to do is create a Web page, list a few dreamed up laws, and watch people migrate to your page.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 05:54 PM
And kids are going to play in neighborhood streets without a bb goal.

Sure, but as an adult if I paint a hopscotch in the middle of the street the law is going to have a word with me.

Whether or not the street was a cul-de-sac is irrelevant.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 05:55 PM
I suppose it'd been funny had they poured a few more yards of concrete to "anchor" that bad boy before the city workers came. ;)

You would have had to pour a pretty massive foundation to keep that frontloader from yanking it out. :D

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 08:29 PM
Most of these stupid laws are actually urban legends. All you need to do is create a Web page, list a few dreamed up laws, and watch people migrate to your page.

A lot are urban legends, those are fact though. Or at least were when I was younger. That doesn't take the point I was making away.

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 08:34 PM
Sure, but as an adult if I paint a hopscotch in the middle of the street the law is going to have a word with me.

Whether or not the street was a cul-de-sac is irrelevant.

You can't even compare the two. And living on a cul-da-sac is way different than living on a street. The only people going down that street live on that street. You should know to be watching for the kids that live next door. If you cant not hit kids driving in a neighborhood then you shouldn't be driving.

soonercruiser
3/30/2011, 09:27 PM
The basketball net on the cul-de-sac was an essential element of my boys growing up in NC!
Hoops was a way of life in NC.
It was better than the kids in the bad neighborhoods vandalizing property, breaking windows, breaking and entering, selling drugs, etc.

Sometimes, this is why is all the better that politicians are not "in session" to pass any laws! :O

What say you Diver Dog????

soonercruiser
3/30/2011, 09:29 PM

Then, they came for our (basket) balls.
:rolleyes:

Then later, ......

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 09:32 PM
A lot are urban legends, those are fact though. Or at least were when I was younger. That doesn't take the point I was making away.

Strange how difficult it is to find the actual codes that go along with the laws. :cool:

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 09:35 PM
You can't even compare the two.

On one hand I have...

Set up a basketball net where kids have to play in the streets

and...

painted a hopscotch were kids have to play in the streets.

Same thing.

And living on a cul-da-sac is way different than living on a street. The only people going down that street live on that street. You should know to be watching for the kids that live next door. If you cant not hit kids driving in a neighborhood then you shouldn't be driving.

Sure, in practice living on a cul-da-sac is different, but you can't create special classes of laws for people that live on cul-de-sacs. If you do, then those who live on the streets file suit when their cul-da-sac friends escape the long arm of the DelDOT.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 09:42 PM
The clip did remind me of the time we passed the ordinance banning the parking of cars on lawns. We saw one guy on tv throw a fit, and we just watched and LOLZ'ed! Good times.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/30/2011, 09:48 PM
Oh please people! There wasn't a string of net on that thing. It ain't like any of the fat, pasty, Dr. Pepper impregnated white kids on that block are doing anything but "gaming, yo" so who seriously GAF? Me? nyet.

Next thread.
There were 8 other goals removed with plenty of net, but its the idea of the whole thing. Why is it necessary to call the police for something like this? Its a waste of their time, this is something that should be sorted out between neighbors. That and the police blatantly lied.

Chuck Bao
3/30/2011, 10:08 PM
Who does that - I mean have a basketball goal at the edge of the street and use the street as the basketball court?

Besides the nuisance and concern for the kids playing on the street, it was pretty ratty looking with no net and an eyesore. If I were a neighbor, I would complain about it, especially if I were trying to sell my house.

jumperstop
3/30/2011, 10:10 PM
On one hand I have...

Set up a basketball net where kids have to play in the streets

and...

painted a hopscotch were kids have to play in the streets.

Same thing.

Sure, in practice living on a cul-da-sac is different, but you can't create special classes of laws for people that live on cul-de-sacs. If you do, then those who live on the streets file suit when their cul-da-sac friends escape the long arm of the DelDOT.

You can play hop scotch on a porch or even a really sloped driveway, you have to have a large hard flat area to play basketball. So no not same thing....

Again not saying the government had less right to take someones goal depending on what street they live on, but growing up on a cul-da-sac my parents knew I was ok to ride my bike or play in the street because the amount of traffic. And the neighbors all knew each other, so if kids in the street was an issue a complaint was mentioned to the parents, not the government. So let me say again, the government had all the right to take it, and the people were warned so they have nothing to complain about. I just think it's one of those laws that should only be enforced when there is an issue that can't be resolved the neighborly way. This had nothing to do with neighbors not liking it, just a government that think it knew better...

jkjsooner
3/30/2011, 10:48 PM

What did they expect?

I agree. For starters, in most areas that close to the street is public property. Either way, they were breaking the law. They were given ample notice to remove the goal. Had they done that they would have been able to keep it.

Poles that close to a road can be a danger and that is why there are these laws. You say it's a cul de sac? Well, yes, it is but the law is the law. If you don't like it push for a cul de sac exclusion in the law.

If they go removing every goal except the ones in a cul de sac, you better believe the neighbors who had their goals removed would throw their own hissy fits and would demand equal treatment.

diverdog
3/30/2011, 10:56 PM

It was handled poorly..

As you know I live in Delaware and I remember reading about this in the local paper. What it boils down to is a couple of neighborhood fights that caused complaints to be filed and the police had to act. By the letter of the law they were right to do so and if I remember correctly the folks who had the hoops had more than 6 months to correct the situation. Again if memory serves me correctly in one situation a car was dinged and the other one there was a lot of foul language that was being heard by the neighbors.

I played on a street hoop for a long time and I think it is a matter of neighbors handling it among themselves instead of going to the cops.

One last thing and that is DelDot is out of control in this state and they are about to get thumped by the governor. The head of the agency is going to get canned along with lots of other people.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 11:03 PM
There were 8 other goals removed with plenty of net, but its the idea of the whole thing. Why is it necessary to call the police for something like this?

Something about real angry homeowners. :cool:

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 11:04 PM
Who does that - I mean have a basketball goal at the edge of the street and use the street as the basketball court?

Besides the nuisance and concern for the kids playing on the street, it was pretty ratty looking with no net and an eyesore. If I were a neighbor, I would complain about it, especially if I were trying to sell my house.

OMG, Chuck and I are on the same page.

I don't feel so good.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2011, 11:09 PM
You can play hop scotch on a porch or even a really sloped driveway, you have to have a large hard flat area to play basketball. So no not same thing....

That isn't DelDOT's problem. In terms of safety and adult responsibilities, they're much the same thing.

Again not saying the government had less right to take someones goal depending on what street they live on, but growing up on a cul-da-sac my parents knew I was ok to ride my bike or play in the street because the amount of traffic. And the neighbors all knew each other, so if kids in the street was an issue a complaint was mentioned to the parents, not the government. So let me say again, the government had all the right to take it, and the people were warned so they have nothing to complain about. I just think it's one of those laws that should only be enforced when there is an issue that can't be resolved the neighborly way. This had nothing to do with neighbors not liking it, just a government that think it knew better...

Again, if you take away the basketball goals in one area because of a public nuisance, you pretty much gotta' take 'em away everywhere. How would you feel if ole Neighbor Bob was out shooting hoops with his son while you stared at a hole in the ground where your basketball goal used to stand?

"Sir! Sir! If you would calm down we'll tell you. We didn't take away Bob's goal because we thought it was, like, okay. Besides, Bob is a great guy. Why would we take something away from him that he liked. But we don't like you."

soonercruiser
3/31/2011, 10:13 AM
As you know I live in Delaware and I remember reading about this in the local paper. What it boils down to is a couple of neighborhood fights that caused complaints to be filed and the police had to act. By the letter of the law they were right to do so and if I remember correctly the folks who had the hoops had more than 6 months to correct the situation. Again if memory serves me correctly in one situation a car was dinged and the other one there was a lot of foul language that was being heard by the neighbors.

I played on a street hoop for a long time and I think it is a matter of neighbors handling it among themselves instead of going to the cops.

One last thing and that is DelDot is out of control in this state and they are about to get thumped by the governor. The head of the agency is going to get canned along with lots of other people.

Thanks for the perspective DD!
That's what we had in NC....all the neighbor's kids played near our driveway....and we got along just fine.

jumperstop
3/31/2011, 10:22 AM
That isn't DelDOT's problem. In terms of safety and adult responsibilities, they're much the same thing.

Again, if you take away the basketball goals in one area because of a public nuisance, you pretty much gotta' take 'em away everywhere. How would you feel if ole Neighbor Bob was out shooting hoops with his son while you stared at a hole in the ground where your basketball goal used to stand?

"Sir! Sir! If you would calm down we'll tell you. We didn't take away Bob's goal because we thought it was, like, okay. Besides, Bob is a great guy. Why would we take something away from him that he liked. But we don't like you."

A lot of laws are enforced for some people and not others, and it only becomes illegal when people complain. I don't necessarily disagree with with you guys though. Especially since delaware guy said they had six months to move them. That's plenty of time to install a mini court in the back yard.

soonercruiser
3/31/2011, 03:46 PM
A lot of laws are enforced for some people and not others, and it only becomes illegal when people complain. I don't necessarily disagree with with you guys though. Especially since delaware guy said they had six months to move them. That's plenty of time to install so mini court in the back yard.

Back yard!!!???
You guy got back yards??? :eek:

(That's where I park my cars) :D

diverdog
3/31/2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the perspective DD!
That's what we had in NC....all the neighbor's kids played near our driveway....and we got along just fine.

We have this nice couple in our Rotary Club who actually met a Rotary and became married. The wife works for the City of Dover and her husband is the PR person for DelDot. Today they asked her where her husband was and she said "He is dealing with basketball issues" and we all chuckled.

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2011, 10:38 AM
A lot of laws are enforced for some people and not others, and it only becomes illegal when people complain.

:confused: (If it isn't illegal, how could one complain?)