PDA

View Full Version : To the shores of Tripoli....

OklahomaTuba
3/29/2011, 08:52 AM
Just don't call it a war, what ever you do.

Lejeune Marines prepare to deploy off Libyan coast

Twenty-two hundred Marines and sailors from Camp Lejeune are preparing to deploy off the coast of Libya in northern Africa. They said goodbye to their families Monday afternoon, and they'll be leaving in the days ahead.http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8039326

PhiDeltBeers
3/29/2011, 09:08 AM
No fly zone!

OULenexaman
3/29/2011, 09:08 AM
did they take their boots?

soonerscuba
3/29/2011, 10:48 AM
I really am having a difficult time figuring out which side is more hypocritical in this situation. The Republicans engaging in a wholesale abandonment of their core political philosophy which they held so fiercely not 5 years ago (freedom!), or the Democrats spinelessly sitting back while we pour more down the rabbit hole (this time we did it!). I'd say we're pretty much beyond the event horizon as a nation now, with the electorate shouldering the pain and blame. Nice work everyone.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/29/2011, 10:59 AM
Goddammit

Aldebaran
3/29/2011, 11:15 AM
I really am having a difficult time figuring out which side is more hypocritical in this situation. The Republicans engaging in a wholesale abandonment of their core political philosophy which they held so fiercely not 5 years ago (freedom!), or the Democrats spinelessly sitting back while we pour more down the rabbit hole (this time we did it!). I'd say we're pretty much beyond the event horizon as a nation now, with the electorate shouldering the pain and blame. Nice work everyone.

We had a good run.

The Profit
3/29/2011, 11:30 AM

Can we call it a tie?

3rdgensooner
3/29/2011, 11:33 AM
{You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to soonerscuba again.}

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2011, 11:56 AM

So Obama is just taking a passive role in this?

sappstuf
3/29/2011, 12:25 PM
Just don't call it a war, what ever you do.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8039326

You were supposed to be paying attention to Obama's pretty speech.. Not to what he is actually doing.

soonercruiser
3/29/2011, 01:18 PM
Can we call it a tie?

If only we could.....and redo the last national election!
:D

soonercruiser
3/29/2011, 01:19 PM
We had a good run.

The run's OVER!
Obama Lied - Thousands Died!
:D

OklahomaTuba
3/29/2011, 01:31 PM

Oh please,
the GOP has absolutely NOTHING to do with this latest adventure.

Obomba didn't even ask congress, he asked the UN. An act he and his VP previously said would be grounds for impeachment.

And there are no donks sitting around letting this happen. The donks are very actively doing what they cursed Boosh and Dark Lord Cheney and those evil "neoKKKons" for doing. Perhaps guess we should start calling this folks the neo-floppers?

Can't get more hypocritical than that.

Midtowner
3/29/2011, 01:43 PM
Oh please,
the GOP has absolutely NOTHING to do with this latest adventure.

Obomba didn't even ask congress, he asked the UN. An act he and his VP previously said would be grounds for impeachment.

And there are no donks sitting around letting this happen. The donks are very actively doing what they cursed Boosh and Dark Lord Cheney and those evil "neoKKKons" for doing. Perhaps guess we should start calling this folks the neo-floppers?

Can't get more hypocritical than that.

So let me see if I can get your condemnation straight here...

Are you condemning Obama for invading Libya, or are you fine with that?

It's clear you are condemning Demoncrats for not condemning the President in this current context.

If you don't agree with invading Libya, why is it so hugely different from Iraq and Afghanistan? Did you agree with attacking those countries?

While it is true the GOP has squat to do with Libya, you'd have to have a pretty short memory to not remember that they seemed to be more than okay with our previous two foreign adventures. What other than crass partisanship makes Libya so abhorrent to the GOP?

sappstuf
3/29/2011, 01:59 PM

It's clear you are condemning Demoncrats for not condemning the President in this current context.

If you don't agree with invading Libya, why is it so hugely different from Iraq and Afghanistan? Did you agree with attacking those countries?

While it is true the GOP has squat to do with Libya, you'd have to have a pretty short memory to not remember that they seemed to be more than okay with our previous two foreign adventures. What other than crass partisanship makes Libya so abhorrent to the GOP?

Didn't the previous adventures have congressional approval? And that approval came from both Dems and Repubs if I remember right.

For all of Obama's talk, he did not have Congressional approval and he has the smallest internationl coalition for an operation of this type in the past 20 years.

Do you believe that a reasonable person can say that I agree with what he is doing, but the way he went about it was completely wrong?

Although, I must admit, the more I hear Obama ramble on about protecting citizens but that we cannot force Gaddafi out militarily, the more I become uneasy about the situation. So if Gaddafi doesn't leave will we be doing no fly-zones 20 years from now? Obama seems to have done his best to completely obscure anything resembling a true objective.

That probably concerns me the most.

OULenexaman
3/29/2011, 02:03 PM
hey....he's gotta find more ways to spend spend spend spend...

okie52
3/29/2011, 02:31 PM

You're throwing Afghanistan in there too? No difference in Iraq and Libya vs Afghanistan?

pphilfran
3/29/2011, 02:45 PM

yes...

Mississippi Sooner
3/29/2011, 02:57 PM
Fun fact: The line "to the shores of Tripoli" in the Marine Hymn refers to the Battle of Derne in 1805. It marked the first time U.S. forces fought an overseas battle, though it was actually just a handful of Marines and about 500 Arab mercenaries. It was very controversial at the time, too, because the mercenaries were allegedly never paid.

Anyway, in gratitude for their service, the Ottoman Prince Hamet presented Marine 1st Lt. Presley O'Bannon with the Mameluke Sword, which is still worn by Marine officers to this day.

http://www.swordsandarmor.com/images/SD926766_Marine_Corps_Mameluke_Sword.jpg

AlboSooner
3/29/2011, 04:37 PM
to the shores is different from off the shore...

SicEmBaylor
3/29/2011, 04:39 PM

Folks, listen to this. He is right on.