PDA

View Full Version : GHP got me the awesomest gig ever last weekend.

proud gonzo
3/29/2011, 12:52 AM
GHP shanghaied me for an opera gig on Saturday--it was the Wichita Grand Opera's 10th Anniversary gala and they needed a 2nd horn. The awesome part of the story is that the guest stars were Alan Held, Joyce DiDonato, and Samuel Ramey, not to mention the maestro, Steven Mercurio.

Here's the maestro--he's the one standing behind Sting, conducting.
C2AmzGSB_bc

Joyce DiDonato was on leave from the Metropolitan Opera and is one of the best mezzo-sopranos out there right now. My husband starred in the Barber of Seville with her 2 years ago. This is her:
SJcuqaelqwE

Samuel Ramey is best known for his signature role of Mephistophiles (the devil) in Faust. He's sung the role over 200 times (and one of those 200 performances featured my husband as Valentin) and this is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uas4oL1oKHE (can't embed that one--not allowed)
I got to perform THIS song with him, also. Another of his signature pieces:
-m82TO9chA0

...but when I met him backstage, I told him he was my introduction to opera because I remembered THIS:
85ezTttDh0I
I think that made him happy.

I'd say I had a good weekend. :D

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 09:46 AM
I'll check it out when I get back to the apartment tonight. You do remember though that you're dealing with cro-magnan level rap loving knuckledraggers on this site, right? Maybe a couple of them will warm up to some mother****ing culture.

saucysoonergal
3/29/2011, 09:49 AM
Congrats PG, from one French horn player to another. Very cool!

Partial Qualifier
3/29/2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/rating/rating_1.gif

Boomer.....
3/29/2011, 09:56 AM
Who?

3rdgensooner
3/29/2011, 09:57 AM
I'll check it out when I get back to the apartment tonight. You do remember though that you're dealing with cro-magnan level rap loving knuckledraggers on this site, right? Maybe a couple of them will warm up to some mother****ing culture.Sweet talker

Mjcpr
3/29/2011, 10:19 AM
Pretty nice rack.

proud gonzo
3/29/2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, Joyce DiDonato isn't your typical fat-lady opera singer. I think she's 42 and she looks damn good.

OUDoc
3/29/2011, 10:36 AM
Pretty nice rack.

The classiest chicks always have the nicest funbags.

Mjcpr
3/29/2011, 10:41 AM
The booberages help project your mezzo-sopranos and ****.

proud gonzo
3/29/2011, 11:35 AM
I'll check it out when I get back to the apartment tonight. You do remember though that you're dealing with cro-magnan level rap loving knuckledraggers on this site, right? Maybe a couple of them will warm up to some mother****ing culture.
yeah, i know that. But I still wanted to brag.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 11:36 AM
And good on you.

KantoSooner
3/29/2011, 11:39 AM
If any of you culture vultures are headed to Bartlesville for OK Mozart later in the spring, let me know. I'm generally good for a beer, or perhaps a cheeky little frizzante. Maybe with a strawberry or two.

OUthunder
3/29/2011, 12:42 PM

ahem, not all of us.

SOONERKAT
3/29/2011, 12:58 PM
What an amazing experience this must have been for you. Ramey has long been one of the preeminent basses in the game for a long time. I had the good fortune to get tickets to a performance of Tosca at the Met with him in the role of Scarpia. I will never forget it.

Congrats on the opportunity to create such a memory.

proud gonzo
3/29/2011, 01:11 PM
yeah--unfortunately, the other dude (Alan Held) sang Te Deum from Tosca--not that he was bad, he was wonderful. I just wish I could have heard Ramey do it. But Sam Ramey did THIS one:

WW5YBdAjSs0

holy crap what a voice. Gives me chills.

SOONERKAT
3/29/2011, 01:20 PM
It is just nice to see a Bass get some love for the purity and power of his voice. Folks tend to fall all over themselves for the Tenors, and with good reason, but someone like Ramey just has a once in a generation voice. I guess that explains his continued popularity and demand.

bluedogok
3/29/2011, 09:05 PM
I try to "balance" things out, years ago I went to see The Magic Flute at the Lyric Opera of Kansas City and the Chiefs game the next day. That was a pretty neat old building they were in.

proud gonzo
3/29/2011, 09:27 PM
It is just nice to see a Bass get some love for the purity and power of his voice. Folks tend to fall all over themselves for the Tenors, and with good reason, but someone like Ramey just has a once in a generation voice. I guess that explains his continued popularity and demand.tenors are way overrated and obnoxious.

I always joke with my husband about how stupid it is that in most of these operas the baritone dies and the tenor gets the girl.

SoonerStormchaser
3/29/2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, Joyce DiDonato isn't your typical fat-lady opera singer. I think she's 42 and she looks damn good.

Meh...you know where I usually go with statements like these.

Fire away peeps...you know the drill.

proud gonzo
3/30/2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I can honestly say that Joyce DiDonato didn't make me think about you or your wife in the least.

IB4OU2
3/30/2011, 04:29 PM
tenors are way overrated and obnoxious.

I always joke with my husband about how stupid it is that in most of these operas the baritone dies and the tenor gets the girl.

Not surprised...Tenor's short for 10 or so inches. ;)

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 04:41 PM
Definitely she's not your normal Opera singer...she can be a looker

http://broadwayworld.com/columnpic/de3.jpg

Then you can see the bat **** crazy look.....lol

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00103/Joyce_DiDonato_103367t.jpg

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 04:44 PM
Meh...you know where I usually go with statements like these.

Fire away peeps...you know the drill.

Hell, she's young enough to be your step daughter...

proud gonzo
3/30/2011, 07:28 PM
Definitely she's not your normal Opera singer...she can be a looker

http://broadwayworld.com/columnpic/de3.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00103/Joyce_DiDonato_103367t.jpg

Nah, that's just called an unflattering photo. Joyce is a total sweetheart--one of the nicest people I know, really.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 07:39 PM
Hell, she's young enough to be your step daughter...

You owe me a new keyboard.

Partial Qualifier
3/30/2011, 08:14 PM

So she's a cheerleader and a singer? Daaaaang....

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2011, 08:22 PM
The valance matches the drapes...

picasso
3/31/2011, 12:09 AM
Awesome!

NormanPride
3/31/2011, 12:03 PM
Jealousy rages within my soul, PG.

OUDoc
3/31/2011, 12:28 PM
Jealousy rages within my soul, PG.

She told you to borrow the shoes anytime you want.

proud gonzo
3/31/2011, 12:47 PM
heehee :D

NormanPride
3/31/2011, 12:50 PM
:(

soonercruiser
3/31/2011, 10:11 PM
Good for you, Gonzo!
You're livin' the dream most of can only carry forward as dreams from the good ole days of band in high school.
(And you don't have to wear blue jeans.)

Wayyyy too classy for this forum!

proud gonzo
3/31/2011, 10:18 PM
The funny thing was, when GHP called and asked me about the gig, I hadn't touched my horn in over a year. I had to practice like crazy to get my face back into shape and learn all of the music (about 17 pieces) in a week.

SOOOO worth it, though. :D