PDA

View Full Version : Gun sting gone wrong...

pphilfran
3/28/2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/28/obama-administration-mounting-pressure-botched-gun-trafficking-investigation/?icid=maing|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk1|52132

Congress and the Department of Justice appear to be headed for a showdown this week over documents detailing Operation Fast and Furious, the botched gunrunning sting set up by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that funneled more than 1,700 smuggled weapons from Arizona to Mexico.

The Justice Department has until Wednesday to deliver to congressional investigators a stack of records and emails naming the individuals responsible for the gun trafficking operation that may have killed dozens, if not hundreds of Mexicans, and is becoming a growing embarrassment for the Obama administration.

Under Project Gunrunner and the Phoenix off-shoot, dubbed Fast and Furious, the ATF encouraged gun store owners to sell to straw buyers -- consumers who they suspected of working on behalf of Mexican drug cartels.

Project Gunrunner purposely allowed the straw buyers to illegally buy and export guns only to see where they surfaced in Mexico. Using this investigative technique, the ATF hoped to take down the entire gun trafficking organization. Instead, records show it allowed more than 1,700 guns, including hundreds of AK-47s and high-powered, armor-piercing .50-caliber rifles to be trafficked to Mexico....

Two of the gun stores involved were Carter's Country in Houston and J&G Gun Sales in Prescott, Ariz.

"Let me tell you something about Carter's Country. They have been co-operating with ATF from the get-go," says Carter's County attorney Dick Deguerin.

"They were told to go through with what they considered to be questionable sales. They were told to go through with sales of three or more assault rifles at the same time or five or more 9-mm guns at the same time or a young Hispanic male paying in cash. It's all profiling, but they went through with it."

Both gun stores felt burned by the ATF -- first by leaked records to The Washington Post that showed the two stores responsible for dozens of guns found at Mexican crime scenes, and now by Operation Fast and Furious.

"You assumed they had your back," added J&G President Brad Desaye. "Absolutely, we felt like partners with ATF in a lot of ways."

Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich said in a Feb. 4 letter the operation's purpose was "to dismantle the entire trafficking organization, not merely to arrest straw purchasers."

"The allegation -- that ATF 'sanctioned' or otherwise knowingly allowed the sale of assault weapons to a straw purchaser who then transported them into Mexico -- is false," he wrote.

Breadburner
3/28/2011, 04:06 PM
What a ****ing mess......

KantoSooner
3/28/2011, 04:12 PM
For many years now, I've wondered 'WTF' when watching police and investigative bodies fail even the simplest tests of chain of custody on evidence up to the sort of lack of coordination shown above.

From at least the OJ trial onwards, cases just get whiffed on due to extremely poor fundamentals. Are the cops untrained? Or just incompetent?

NormanPride
3/28/2011, 04:15 PM
Is it sad that I automatically trust the guy that sold weapons to the bad guys rather than the government that is trying to bring them down?

Breadburner
3/28/2011, 04:17 PM
The ATF can sure **** some **** up......

OULenexaman
3/28/2011, 04:22 PM
Why am I not surprised...

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2011, 04:46 PM
"They were told to go through with what they considered to be questionable sales. They were told to go through with sales of three or more assault rifles at the same time or five or more 9-mm guns at the same time or a young Hispanic male paying in cash. It's all profiling, but they went through with it."

"The gun stores acted stupidly."

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2011, 05:11 PM
I hope they're not planning on any more sequels.

Bad enough that the actual Fast and Furious movie franchise has like 15 of them.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2011, 05:15 PM
Fast and Furious II - Designer Jeans

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 05:24 PM
1700 guns? What, are they trying to arm the 100 block of El Presidente St. in Nogales? That's like saying "we seriously ****ed up and gave Willie Nelson a $10 bag of weed - woe is us..."

Nothing to see here.

AlboSooner
3/28/2011, 06:24 PM
someone needs to go to jail for this

TheHumanAlphabet
3/28/2011, 06:32 PM
Dick Deguerin.

Berry berry powerful defense lawyer in Houston. Is well connected.

Sounds like the ATF was trying to manufacture an issue for Obummer so they could take down some gun stores and then pull our right to purchase weapons. I still think he is means to prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns before he leaves office.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2011, 06:40 PM
Berry berry powerful defense lawyer in Houston. Is well connected.

Sounds like the ATF was trying to manufacture an issue for Obummer so they could take down some gun stores and then pull our right to purchase weapons. I still think he is means to prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns before he leaves office.

So they arrested all the bad guys in Mexico, right?

Soonerfan88
3/28/2011, 07:57 PM
Is it sad that I automatically trust the guy that sold weapons to the bad guys rather than the government that is trying to bring them down?

Very sad and I agree with you.

SicEmBaylor
3/28/2011, 09:56 PM
The ATF can sure **** some **** up......

This is the understatement of the century.

The ATF needs to be defunded and abolished.

Curly Bill
3/28/2011, 11:44 PM
I agree with the above statement.

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2011, 12:17 AM
This is the understatement of the century.

The ATF needs to be defunded and abolished.

Especially since all three are legal. What's next? The Department of Celery, Beef Sticks, and Pistachios?

SanJoaquinSooner
3/29/2011, 12:35 AM
Especially since all three are legal. What's next? The Department of Celery, Beef Sticks, and Pistachios?

Dept of Education.

1700 guns is nothing. Try a gazillion kids.

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2011, 02:04 AM
Does anyone like the ATF?

GKeeper316
3/29/2011, 02:52 AM
cops. are. stupid.

Curly Bill
3/29/2011, 01:09 PM
Does anyone like the ATF?

I hear Janet Reno is a big fan.

OutlandTrophy
3/29/2011, 01:22 PM
Randy Weaver is not a fan.

Curly Bill
3/29/2011, 01:27 PM
...nor is his son.

edit.. It was however technically an FBI sniper that shot him, so I could be wrong.

TitoMorelli
3/29/2011, 01:34 PM
Under Project Gunrunner and the Phoenix off-shoot, dubbed Fast and Furious, the ATF encouraged gun store owners to sell to straw buyers -- consumers who they suspected of working on behalf of Mexican drug cartels.

http://patterico.com/2011/03/29/project-gunrunner-how-did-the-atf-get-gun-dealers-to-agree-to-sell-guns-to-criminals/

One of the most fascinating aspects of all of this is: how did the ATF get gun shop owners — a relatively conservative crowd — to go along with this? Interviewer Jim Bohannan asks his guests: did any of these owners think: sure, there is a sting, but I’m the patsy. In response, speaking of one gun shop in particular, one of the bloggers says:

They (gun store owners) did everything that they could to discourage these sales. They called the ATF and they were told to go through with it. But you have to understand that gun dealers, licensed gun dealers who hold federal firearms licenses, are all under the thumb of the ATF regulatory scheme. And they are almost all pathologically conditioned to do what the ATF asks them to do or else. You know, the ATF even has an internal term for what happens to people who get out of line. It’s called an “economic Waco.” They don’t kill you, but they leave you absolutely without economic resources or the ability to make your way in life, because you are absolutely at the mercy of their regulatory decisions.

The bloggers go on to explain how some of these regulatory threats might occur: federal regulators have been known, they say, to start regulatory proceedings against gun dealers because a “yes or no” box on a federal form was filled out with a “Y” or “N” instead of a “yes” or “no."

soonercruiser
3/29/2011, 09:35 PM
"The gun stores acted stupidly."

Time for an illegal beer summit with the ATF.
Oops! Got arrested!
It was a sting! Operation Beer Summit 3.